Who was the worse coach: Mike Brown or Mike D'Antoni?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Worse coach?
Mike Brown
47%
 47%  [ 75 ]
Mike D'Antoni
52%
 52%  [ 83 ]
Total Votes : 158

Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
^that's the question. Did MDA want to keep riding him or was he just too afraid to pull him out and risk Kobe's ire? lol

He tried to pull Kobe out, Kobe refused.

In MDA's first game as Laker head coach, first quarter, Kobe picks up two fouls. MDA calls for Kobe to come out and sends Chris Duhon in to replace him. Kobe says no, waves him off and keeps playing. LOL.

So its the latter. He should've sent someone in to replace Kobe and been insistent, he should've called a timeout, after all, he's the freakin coach. Seems MDA didn't want to get on Kobe's bad side and create a scene.

So you don't think players should do what the coach tells them to do?

And why would he burn a timeout in that situation? There was only a few seconds left in the quarter in that game. Really? You think he should have burned a time out with a few seconds left in the quarter?

Your logic doesn't make sense to me on this one. Your best player picks up his second foul with seconds remaining in the first quarter. What is the right thing to do in this situation in your opinion?

1) Let your best player keep playing with two fouls.
2) Substitute your best player to preserve the 2 fouls and get him some rest
3) Burn a timeout

All that is irrelevant. Kobe is already playing hurt on one leg and in pain, Vitti is pleading with you to take him out, no excuses, you call a timeout and get him out of the game. MDA was too prideful and timid to do it. I wish they never hired that guy as coach, he'll always be that insufferable arrogant suns coach to me. He was just pretending to be coach of the Lakers, and poorly pretending at that.

Kobe famously played through pain his whole career. Broken fingers, twisted ankles, and whatever else he had and Phil was still letting him go back of for more.

If D'Antoni rests Kobe that game with like 2 games left in the season and they end up missing the playoffs, who was going to be on D'Antoni's side saying he did the right thing? Two games left in the season and NOW you're resting him? What are you protecting him for? The offseason? Not to mention that Kobe would have surely said he felt good enough to keep playing.

Different situation, he could mask those injuries. In this game the injury was so severe he couldn't. You listen to your head trainer and sit him down at that point. If you lose the game, oh well. you have to sit him until you determine how severe the injury is. Are you going to risk your star players health (and possibly career) just to eke out an 8th or 7th seed? Teams sit their star players because of injuries all the time, sometimes at the expense of games and postseasons. Players health comes first.....and you plan for next season.

Last edited by Goldenwest on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Mike Brown, no question. MDA's offense is something that plenty of coaches incorporate into their offense nowadays. Brown just had no clue how to be a coach. I suspect that if MDA was first and Brown was second the results of this poll would be switched. It's just the bad tastes lingering in everyone's mouth
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
^that's the question. Did MDA want to keep riding him or was he just too afraid to pull him out and risk Kobe's ire? lol

In MDA's first game as Laker head coach, first quarter, Kobe picks up two fouls. MDA calls for Kobe to come out and sends Chris Duhon in to replace him. Kobe says no, waves him off and keeps playing. LOL.

So its the latter. He should've sent someone in to replace Kobe and been insistent, he should've called a timeout, after all, he's the freakin coach. Seems MDA didn't want to get on Kobe's bad side and create a scene.

And why would he burn a timeout in that situation? There was only a few seconds left in the quarter in that game. Really? You think he should have burned a time out with a few seconds left in the quarter?

Your logic doesn't make sense to me on this one. Your best player picks up his second foul with seconds remaining in the first quarter. What is the right thing to do in this situation in your opinion?

3) Burn a timeout

All that is irrelevant. Kobe is already playing hurt on one leg and in pain, Vitti is pleading with you to take him out, no excuses, you call a timeout and get him out of the game. MDA was too prideful and timid to do it. I wish they never hired that guy as coach, he'll always be that insufferable arrogant suns coach to me. He was just pretending to be coach of the Lakers, and poorly pretending at that.

It's not irrelevant. It speaks directly to the fact that Kobe was the one who decided when he came out and when he didn't. He waved off substitutions by Phil all the time, this has been well documented. He waved off MDA also, and it's documented that MDA wanted him out of the game on a number of occasions and Kobe refused.

MDA isn't entirely innocent here, but he's certainly not entire to blame. Had Kobe done what MDA told him to, he'd have played fewer minutes.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Voices wrote:
MDA has very little value as a coach, his offensive philosophy teaches players how not to play and he has no defensive philosophy. MDA after many years as a head coach has never been to the finals. Mike Brown at least has been to the finals.

I would not hire either coach, and I would not have hired either to coach the Lakers, huge mistake by Laker management.

Interesting that so many successful NBA head coaches have taken elements from MDA's evidently poor offensive philosophy and used it in their own offenses. What were they thinking, they should have checked with LG first.

MDA did not invent run and gun, that's about the only useless thing he has done.
ronnyjeremy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject:

mike d'antoni was such an a-hole
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Voices wrote:
MDA has very little value as a coach, his offensive philosophy teaches players how not to play and he has no defensive philosophy. MDA after many years as a head coach has never been to the finals. Mike Brown at least has been to the finals.

I would not hire either coach, and I would not have hired either to coach the Lakers, huge mistake by Laker management.

Interesting that so many successful NBA head coaches have taken elements from MDA's evidently poor offensive philosophy and used it in their own offenses. What were they thinking, they should have checked with LG first.

MDA did not invent run and gun, that's about the only useless thing he has done.

Pretty much. MDA didn't invite the run n gun. But when people are so desperate to give MDA any credit whatsoever, that's how it goes.

So if the Spurs play uptempo ball now, it's because they learned from MDA's system

The bottom line is, he stunk in his tenure here. Sorry Jimbo, couldn't stick it to XI with MDA.
ffsrofll333
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject:

mda worst ever laker coach, not even close
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject:

The_Dynasty24 wrote:
Mike Brown, no question. MDA's offense is something that plenty of coaches incorporate into their offense nowadays. Brown just had no clue how to be a coach. I suspect that if MDA was first and Brown was second the results of this poll would be switched. It's just the bad tastes lingering in everyone's mouth

I agree.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject:

When the players are basically forced to override the coach to get the offense to work, you know something's wrong with the coach:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr/10/sports/la-sp-0411-lakers-web-20130411
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject:

I think both of them are good coaches but neither was the right fit for this team and were overwhelmed at times during their time here.

Being head coach of the Lakers is different than being a head coach anywhere else and comes with more intense scrutiny and extremely high expectations.

Byron Scott seems to be the perfect choice for the job as he knows this franchise is all about one thing which is winning championships. Period.

Having been a former player he knows what to expect from the media and takes a lot of pride in being a Laker and will do whatever it takes to bring us back to where we need to be.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Voices wrote:

Pretty much. MDA didn't invite the run n gun. But when people are so desperate to give MDA any credit whatsoever, that's how it goes.

So if the Spurs play uptempo ball now, it's because they learned from MDA's system

The bottom line is, he stunk in his tenure here. Sorry Jimbo, couldn't stick it to XI with MDA.

To be fair, people were trying to play the slow it down, dump it inside type of ball until MDA burst on the scene with Phoenix.

He broke the mold playing with no real traditional big men and had great success in doing so.

I understand, MDA did suck here. But he had success elsewhere with a roster more suited to his preferred style of execution.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

3) Burn a timeout

Kobe famously played through pain his whole career. Broken fingers, twisted ankles, and whatever else he had and Phil was still letting him go back of for more.

If D'Antoni rests Kobe that game with like 2 games left in the season and they end up missing the playoffs, who was going to be on D'Antoni's side saying he did the right thing? Two games left in the season and NOW you're resting him? What are you protecting him for? The offseason? Not to mention that Kobe would have surely said he felt good enough to keep playing.

Different situation, he could mask those injuries. In this game the injury was so severe he couldn't. You listen to your head trainer and sit him down at that point. If you lose the game, oh well. you have to sit him until you determine how severe the injury is. Are you going to risk your star players health (and possibly career) just to eke out an 8th or 7th seed? Teams sit their star players because of injuries all the time, sometimes at the expense of games and postseasons. Players health comes first.....and you plan for next season.

He played through a bunch of injuries he couldn't mask. I remember several times under Phil Jackson where he played with back spasms, shoulder injuries, ankle sprains, broken fingers, you name it. He was clearly hurt in those games and people complained that the injuries were not given a chance to heal. His fingers are still messed up now and people blame it on those times that he continued playing through injuries. Why wasnt Phil protecting him? Because Kobe wanted to play and they needed to win games.

With hindsight being 20/20, it's easy to say that Kobe should have been benched against Golden State and last year against Memphis but there are a lot of other times the same could be said and everything turned out fine.

Even in that warriors game, what injuries did he have in that game? Do we know? Was his achilles already partially torn? Did the first two times he came up gimpy have anything to do with the eventual full rupture toward the end? Kobe got injured playing the same way he has always played. DAntoni was the coach this time but Phil wouldn't have taken him out against his wishes either and history shows that.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

3) Burn a timeout

He played through a bunch of injuries he couldn't mask. I remember several times under Phil Jackson where he played with back spasms, shoulder injuries, ankle sprains, broken fingers, you name it. He was clearly hurt in those games and people complained that the injuries were not given a chance to heal. His fingers are still messed up now and people blame it on those times that he continued playing through injuries. Why wasnt Phil protecting him? Because Kobe wanted to play and they needed to win games.

With hindsight being 20/20, it's easy to say that Kobe should have been benched against Golden State and last year against Memphis but there are a lot of other times the same could be said and everything turned out fine.

Even in that warriors game, what injuries did he have in that game? Do we know? Was his achilles already partially torn? Did the first two times he came up gimpy have anything to do with the eventual full rupture toward the end? Kobe got injured playing the same way he has always played. DAntoni was the coach this time but Phil wouldn't have taken him out against his wishes either and history shows that.

You never had Vitti pleading with Phil to take Kobe out. Kobe was hurt TWICE in that game before the third and final blow with the Achilles rupture. He was clearly limping just before the tear. I've watched a lot of games, this never happened with Phil. He has never before limped to the degree that he did in that game. Minor ankle sprain, back spasms, a sprained finger? C'mon, no comparison to this. You think Phil wouldn't take him out in this scenario? I think he would. Phil (and coaches in his class) doesn't succumb to peer pressure like other lesser coaches. That's why the big stars like to play for him.

People like to put the blame on Kobe in this case but that's wrong. For some strange reason, MDA is getting a complete pass here and he shouldn't. If any coach did leave him in in this same scenario they should be blamed as well (including Phil). The coach is the only one who has the authority to pull him out of the game. If he doesn't use his authority in this kind of case, what good is he? Then his position is meaningless.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

3) Burn a timeout

It's not irrelevant. It speaks directly to the fact that Kobe was the one who decided when he came out and when he didn't. He waved off substitutions by Phil all the time, this has been well documented. He waved off MDA also, and it's documented that MDA wanted him out of the game on a number of occasions and Kobe refused.

MDA isn't entirely innocent here, but he's certainly not entire to blame. Had Kobe done what MDA told him to, he'd have played fewer minutes.

Who has the authority to pull Kobe out of a game? Gary Vitti?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Kobe's played 45 mins/game before for an entire month under Phil Jackson. Players can play that long without tearing their achilles.

It's a freak injury and its been confirmed as such by medical experts.

We get it. You didn't like MDA and neither did any of us but it just doesn't make much sense to blame him the way you're doing. He just happened to be holding the straw that broke the camel's back.

All this talk of too many minutes and people expect Kobe to play as many minutes/game as he did that season.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

To be fair, people were trying to play the slow it down, dump it inside type of ball until MDA burst on the scene with Phoenix.

He broke the mold playing with no real traditional big men and had great success in doing so.

Classic case of a lie being repeated enough that it becomes the truth.

MDA and Nash united in phoenix 2004-2005 season. MDA started coaching there midway through the season before.

New Jersey made it to the NBA finals twice before MDA's "original" run-n-gun system made a name for itself. Jason Kidd on the fastbreak was devastating.

2002-2003 season: 17 fast break points per game
2003-2004 season: 18 fast break points per game

Byron Scott was running a run-n-gun offense before its "creator" MDA!

But Scott's pace was always slower (9th and 11th in league). So I'll give MDA credit for playing faster (to the detriment of his defense).

Also, I'm not saying Byron Scott created the run'n'gun offense. Coaches have been using that for decades before him. Same goes for MDA "creating the stretch 4". It's a lie.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject:

I didn't say MDA created anything. Heck, Phil Jackson nor Tex Winter created the triangle.

Up tempo offenses have been around for a while. But the Nets didn't force teams to adjust to them. But teams had to adjust to the Suns offense and many incorporated a more up tempo style of play as a result. Phil eventually turned the corner on early offense after Phx, not NJ, and the same is true for coach Pop.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:

You never had Vitti pleading with Phil to take Kobe out. Kobe was hurt TWICE in that game before the third and final blow with the Achilles rupture. He was clearly limping just before the tear. I've watched a lot of games, this never happened with Phil. He has never before limped to the degree that he did in that game. Minor ankle sprain, back spasms, a sprained finger? C'mon, no comparison to this. You think Phil wouldn't take him out in this scenario? I think he would. Phil (and coaches in his class) doesn't succumb to peer pressure like other lesser coaches. That's why the big stars like to play for him.

People like to put the blame on Kobe in this case but that's wrong. For some strange reason, MDA is getting a complete pass here and he shouldn't. If any coach did leave him in in this same scenario they should be blamed as well (including Phil). The coach is the only one who has the authority to pull him out of the game. If he doesn't use his authority in this kind of case, what good is he? Then his position is meaningless.

Who is blaming Kobe? He wanted to play, he thought he was fine, and a freak injury happened. I don't think anyone deserves blame for it. If his achilles was already partially torn, he was done for the season and playoffs anyway so what's the difference? Besides, if Kobe knew he was going to get badly hurt, wouldn't he have asked to come out?

And where is this world where MDA is getting a pass? He has been blamed for just about everything that has went wrong in the last two seasons.

Phil played Kobe when he was hurt. A lot. Would he have taken him out of the Warriors game? I doubt it based on what i saw while Phil was coaching him. But it's impossible to say one way or the other.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I don't think Phil would have pulled him out either. As I said, Phil Jackson did play him 45 mins/game for an entire month. In the 2006-2007 season, in March, when we were fighting for a playoff spot. We were the 7th seed. Sound familiar? =)
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I didn't say MDA created anything. Heck, Phil Jackson nor Tex Winter created the triangle.

Up tempo offenses have been around for a while. But the Nets didn't force teams to adjust to them. But teams had to adjust to the Suns offense and many incorporated a more up tempo style of play as a result. Phil eventually turned the corner on early offense after Phx, not NJ, and the same is true for coach Pop.

Phil won his first few chips in chicago by trapping ball handlers and fastbreaking whenever possible. He called it "differential defense". They had no dominant big man. And that was a decade before MDA was in phoenix.

The merits of an uptempo style weren't ideally displayed in Phoenix. I admit they had solid seasons, but they constantly underachieved in the playoffs (the only time of year that matters in lakerland).

The two finals appearances by the Nets were a MUCH bigger accomplishment than anything MDA did in his multiple years at Phoenix. We will have to agree to disagree. I think Jason Kidd's fast break dominance had a bigger effect than what was done in phoenix. And that's not saying much, since they still didn't even win a chip.

It's kind of disrespectful how much credit MDA gets for "his" run n gun offense. As if the showtime lakers never existed.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject:

this is like choosing between dying in a plane crash vs. dying with ebola.

both are horrible.
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject:

I know it is early, but can we add B Scott to these genius basketball minds...

I say the coaches not management lol
Dondre
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject:

I voted Mike Brown but after reading what everyone said.. definitely MDA. Still hippo was really really bad too..wdf was the front office thinking with either of these guys?
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Classic case of a lie being repeated enough that it becomes the truth.

MDA and Nash united in phoenix 2004-2005 season. MDA started coaching there midway through the season before.

New Jersey made it to the NBA finals twice before MDA's "original" run-n-gun system made a name for itself. Jason Kidd on the fastbreak was devastating.

2002-2003 season: 17 fast break points per game
2003-2004 season: 18 fast break points per game

Byron Scott was running a run-n-gun offense before its "creator" MDA!

But Scott's pace was always slower (9th and 11th in league). So I'll give MDA credit for playing faster (to the detriment of his defense).

Also, I'm not saying Byron Scott created the run'n'gun offense. Coaches have been using that for decades before him. Same goes for MDA "creating the stretch 4". It's a lie.

Nelly ball as well.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Yeah, I don't think Phil would have pulled him out either. As I said, Phil Jackson did play him 45 mins/game for an entire month. In the 2006-2007 season, in March, when we were fighting for a playoff spot. We were the 7th seed. Sound familiar? =)

Rubbish. How many injuries did Kobe suffer in that game Phil left him in for 45 minutes? How many times Vitti plead with him to get Kobe out?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: