RIP Colossus
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: RIP Colossus

This monster is closing for good tomorrow! It's still one of the best.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Saw a quick news clip of this earlier today. Did they say WHY they were closing it? That ride was always a MUST whenever we went to Magic. Haven't been there in almost a decade though.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
Saw a quick news clip of this earlier today. Did they say WHY they were closing it? That ride was always a MUST whenever we went to Magic. Haven't been there in almost a decade though.

Probably because the ride is nearly 40 years old and the costs to maintain it meant it was better to replace it.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

Probably because the ride is nearly 40 years old and the costs to maintain it meant it was better to replace it.

I went there in 94, I remember a new plain-wood wood coaster that year that didn't last for long. I wonder how much of this is just the idea that Colossus is no longer viable with today's crowd. I liked it and went on it every time I visited WW as the day's last ride, but it wasn't even the 1st or 2nd most intense ride in 89. I don't think teens today give a rip about nostaliga, tbh. If I were to brave a day at WW again (please, God, no...) -EYE- would be affected by the nostalgia as would you and CMB and anyone else who was alive when Vacation 83 came out, but we're not their major demo. Young sh-heads are.

Z-Force, a 360 spin spaceship ride circa 88-93 was the only real testes-rectractor I remember at WW. Oof. That was a good one, and I'm not easily pleased. Your torso hitting the restraint bar as you hang upside down about 100 feet off the ground while lingering for a second in that position gets the juices flowing.

It's probably a matter of time before La Revolucion is replaced with some newer superhero gimmick. Revolution is still there, rite?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

I went there in 94, I remember a new plain-wood wood coaster that year that didn't last for long. I wonder how much of this is just the idea that Colossus is no longer viable with today's crowd. I liked it and went on it every time I visited WW as the day's last ride, but it wasn't even the 1st or 2nd most intense ride in 89. I don't think teens today give a rip about nostaliga, tbh. If I were to brave a day at WW again (please, God, no...) -EYE- would be affected by the nostalgia as would you and CMB and anyone else who was alive when Vacation 83 came out, but we're not their major demo. Young sh-heads are.

Z-Force, a 360 spin spaceship ride circa 88-93 was the only real testes-rectractor I remember at WW. Oof. That was a good one, and I'm not easily pleased. Your torso hitting the restraint bar as you hang about 100 feet off the ground gets the juices flowing.

Probably a number of factors....one because of its age, it will probably cost a lot to upgrade it if they keep it. 2nd, it is one of those rides that have a lower ridership because of its age. 3rd, wooden rollercoasters because of its design require a lot more maintenance than steel rollercoasters, and just looking at all those wood supports, it must have been hell trying to maintain to so thats viable and doesn't fall apart especially in earthquake country.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Probably a number of factors....one because of its age, it will probably cost a lot to upgrade it if they keep it. 2nd, it is one of those rides that have a lower ridership because of its age. 3rd, wooden rollercoasters because of its design require a lot more maintenance than steel rollercoasters, and just looking at all those wood supports, it must have been hell trying to maintain to so thats viable and doesn't fall apart especially in earthquake country.

They've had at least 2 deaths at the Valencia site, different causes. Iirc, one was a worker at the Revolution coaster and I think he got hit by a returning coaster and fell off the platform (I'm vaguely sure). I do bet liability of a 40 yr old coaster is on their mind to some degree.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject:

(bleep). I'm going next week.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject:

I'll never forget the first time I felt that initial monster plunge. I thought my eyes were going to fall out.

Haven't opened my eyes that wide since.

One of my all-time favorites.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

They've had at least 2 deaths at the Valencia site, different causes. Iirc, one was a worker at the Revolution coaster and I think he got hit by a returning coaster and fell off the platform (I'm vaguely sure). I do bet liability of a 40 yr old coaster is on their mind to some degree.

I loved that one!

!...
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Yea, Revolution was my first "upside down" roller coaster. I liked that one too.

I think they have one named "deja vu" that absolutely freaked me out one time. It had just opened up and from I recall the ride starts off by backing you up vertically so that you are facing the floor. The restraints are of the pull -down -over- your- chest sort and I remember as my weight pressed against the chest bar... all that was keeping me from falling to my death was a small seat belt that connected my seat to the chest restraint. If I didnt buckle that bad boy up properly... I was a goner. I went the entire ride hanging on for dear life I didnt even get to enjoy it. LOL Ahh, the good ol days.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Memories man.

Colossus was my first "real" coaster.

I haven't been to MM in like 15-20 years. IIRC, Superman had just come out. I hear you need a bullet proof vest now? That true?
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
I hear you need a bullet proof vest now? That true?

DMR been scaring you with roller coaster stories too?!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I spend my days curled up in a ball in terror . Sad times.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Sol Rosenburg!

Oh it was terrible. Yes he told me I could join the nudist camp. Because in New York I was in a nudist camp up there and they always would abuse me and and trow me down and and rub sand on my assy-nipples and they used to hurt me bad and tie me to the pier and let..let the fishies eat at me and whatnot.

I was calling because I don't want to be tied up to motor boats anymore and dragged around like a fool; I wanna join with Jim and walk up and down the beach and and step on piss-clams.

He said that he would rub small little sand baskets all over my ass if I wanted to walk up and down the beach with him, we could do that for each other.

He told me that I would jump all over the place and do backflips in the sand...

He said no one would beat me up down here because up in New York what happened was they used to tie me down on the beach and rub sand all over my ass-neck. And and beat me with like all little sharp things that they'd found on the beach and they would try to drown me,
and tie me to the piers for high-tide and I was very hurt with that.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject:

Went last weekend.... I can see why Colossus is closing. There's a lot of history but it pails in comparison to the new ones (X2, Tatsu, Full Throttle).

Plus Colossus takes up a bunch of space, they could easily fit 2 new rides in that area.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Sol Rosenburg!

Oh it was terrible. Yes he told me I could join the nudist camp. Because in New York I was in a nudist camp up there and they always would abuse me and and trow me down and and rub sand on my assy-nipples and they used to hurt me bad and tie me to the pier and let..let the fishies eat at me and whatnot.

I was calling because I don't want to be tied up to motor boats anymore and dragged around like a fool; I wanna join with Jim and walk up and down the beach and and step on piss-clams.

He said that he would rub small little sand baskets all over my ass if I wanted to walk up and down the beach with him, we could do that for each other.

He told me that I would jump all over the place and do backflips in the sand...

He said no one would beat me up down here because up in New York what happened was they used to tie me down on the beach and rub sand all over my ass-neck. And and beat me with like all little sharp things that they'd found on the beach and they would try to drown me,
and tie me to the piers for high-tide and I was very hurt with that.

Wtf? Lol.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject:

I've only been to MM a few times in the last few years and never even knew where this ride was.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject:

dood23 wrote:
I've only been to MM a few times in the last few years and never even knew where this ride was.

Its only next to the parking lot....the one ride that takes up most of the space before you enter the park.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
dood23 wrote:

Its only next to the parking lot....the one ride that takes up most of the space before you enter the park.

Oh, yeah, that's where you run up to the entrance to the theme of Chariots Of Fire.
NickF
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:

dood23 wrote:

It's practically the first thing you see coming up to magic mountain, the creepy creaking wood was the best part, the probably termite infested, possibly about to fall apart on you aspect was the best part about it.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject:

The whiplash in my neck will remember it for all of eternity.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

40 years old? I remember when it first opened.
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
40 years old? I remember when it first opened.

It opened in 1978. 36 years old.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Oooh. Colossus. I thought you were talking about the X-men.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

Z-Force, a 360 spin spaceship ride circa 88-93 was the only real testes-rectractor I remember at WW. Oof. That was a good one, and I'm not easily pleased. Your torso hitting the restraint bar as you hang upside down about 100 feet off the ground while lingering for a second in that position gets the juices flowing.

It's probably a matter of time before La Revolucion is replaced with some newer superhero gimmick. Revolution is still there, rite?

It was the first coaster I could muster up enough guts to ride, and only after I saw the Griswalds go on it. I thought they'd changed the name IRL from WW to Six Flags.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: