Bynum wants min to play with Lakers, should Mitch do it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frozen rope
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject:

If healthy, as long as dude is willing to mature and focus, I really don't see a problem. Scott would be a great tutor and motivator for Bynum, IMO.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject:

frozen rope wrote:
If healthy, as long as dude is willing to mature and focus, I really don't see a problem. Scott would be a great tutor and motivator for Bynum, IMO.

Scott could be the most influential motivator in the world and it still would be wasted on someone as immature or ignorant as Bynum.

Also did you miss the fact that his knees are shot? He can not run the floor, jump or move at a professional level.

When he is capable of doing so I am certain we will see videos and hear multiple reports of teams working him out. More then likely getting better offers then the vet min. Until that happens I am comfortable with the Lakers looking elsewhere for actual players.
frozen rope
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Also did you miss the fact that his knees are shot? He can not run the floor, jump or move at a professional level.

Right, which is why I said "if healthy". I don't know how severe Bynum's injury to his knees are (ie. will they debilitate him for the rest of his career).

All in all, his attitude leaves a lot to be desired. I agree with you.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject:

frozen rope wrote:
Quote:

Right, which is why I said "if healthy". I don't know how severe Bynum's injury to his knees are (ie. will they debilitate him for the rest of his career).

When discussing his attitude, I get the impression the Bynum is someone who thrives with positive reinforcement. Whether he's capable of earning that reinforcement is the big question mark. But given what little I know about psychology and based on casual observation, his attitude really took a tumble when he got traded from the Lakers. No longer was he looked upon as the next, great, Lakers big man. He was relegated to being a trade piece in the Lakers attempt to improve at a position that he previously owned. Being young and immature he pouted and basically used his lack of enthusiasm as a defense mechanism to keep his ego from being bruised too badly. This became a habitual pattern from that point forward no matter what team he played for. Of course his health and condition of his knees played a big part in this as well. Maybe his knees are shot, and if that's the case the question of his attitude become a moot point. But if he does still have anything left in those legs and can play healthy, being brought back to the Lakers might well be the positive reinforcement he needs to get back on track and regain his enthusiasm for the game. God knows, when he wants to and is physically able the boy can play.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
frozen rope wrote:
Quote:

When discussing his attitude, I get the impression the Bynum is someone who thrives with positive reinforcement. Whether he's capable of earning that reinforcement is the big question mark. But given what little I know about psychology and based on casual observation, his attitude really took a tumble when he got traded from the Lakers. No longer was he looked upon as the next, great, Lakers big man. He was relegated to being a trade piece in the Lakers attempt to improve at a position that he previously owned. Being young and immature he pouted and basically used his lack of enthusiasm as a defense mechanism to keep his ego from being bruised too badly. This became a habitual pattern from that point forward no matter what team he played for. Of course his health and condition of his knees played a big part in this as well. Maybe his knees are shot, and if that's the case the question of his attitude become a moot point. But if he does still have anything left in those legs and can play healthy, being brought back to the Lakers might well be the positive reinforcement he needs to get back on track and regain his enthusiasm for the game. God knows, when he wants to and is physically able the boy can play.

It seems you are trying too hard to make excuses for Bynum and his immature behavior. Many fans continue to do it because they want so badly for it to be true. IMO, it isn't. Giving him a hug and asking him back to the Lakers is not going to change the facts.

The Sixers gave him the positive reinforcement you describe. He was praised as a pivotal player for the future. He squandered the opportunity with his attitude and injuries.

There was a reason the Lakers hesitated in giving Bynum the max contract he wanted. It was the immaturity and questionable long term health of his knees. They got it right.

Think back to before Bynum was traded. He had multiple incidents on and off the court. He has found a way to act like an idiot at every stop since. Why would you invite that back into the house even if his knees could pass a physical.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject:

frozen rope wrote:

I think everyone makes a huge deal about Bynum's attitude, but I dont think that was ever really the problem. It was always health.
If he was healthy, he would have had an NBA Star's attitude with the production of an NBA star.

That said, I wouldnt mind bringing him in for minimum. If somewhat healthy, hes a big body to throw around. IF not, you can always get rid of him and eat the money. The spot will not be used for anyone better anyway.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
s_habe wrote:
ADA32 wrote:

So why waste a chance on trying a new player?

Again, plase name that new player!

There is nobody else there wiating for a call!

Bynum does not take away anything from anybody. Why not try him out?

Why not just sign some young player instead? There are lots of guys who went undrafted that have more heart than Bynum. There are plenty of guys who would be thrilled to get a call.

And Bynum is a much higher risk than people are saying. I'll go as far as saying the guy is a locker room cancer. He also makes it easier for players to ignore the coach because he will do things that are not in the gameplan, get benched, laugh and have a great time on the bench, and then tell the media that he isn't going to do what the coach says.

He is also lazy and when you have lazy guys in the locker room, that's always a bad thing. Plus he has no heart. When a team is a big underdog, those are the last things it needs.

Because lazy guys work themselves into top NBA shape for the draft and then work themselves back from injury after injury? Kwame was lazy, he routinely missed rehab sessions, Bynum worked his butt off to get back on the court. As a Laker, lazy is a poor term to describe Bynum.

Where is your proof that he worked himself into "top NBA shape" for the draft? That sounds like it was made up. The guy was still a teenager.

So he worked himself back from injury. So what? I'm supposed to be impressed because Kwame was even worse?

If one of the most impressive claims you can muster up is "He did this better than Kwame Brown," then that speaks volumes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject:

He was overweight and out of shape before draft workouts and developed himself into a top 10 pick. Maybe you weren't around then. He rehabbed hard from both major knee injuries to return and help the team. You could call him many things but lazy isn't one of them.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
He was overweight and out of shape before draft workouts .

Sounds lazy to me.

Quote:
and developed himself into a top 10 pick

So? Kwame developed himself into the #1 pick overall. Is Kwame a hard worker?

Quote:
Maybe you weren't around then.

I was. Let's not ignore the fact that Bynum got extra credit for the same reason he is getting extra credit in this thread. He is 7 feel tall. Imagine where Bynum would be drafted if he was the same size as Kwame.

Quote:
He rehabbed hard from both major knee injuries to return and help the team.

You're talking about the same guy who rehabbed so hard that he went bowling and injured himself so badly that he missed the rest of the season. He also consistently takes longer to come back than expected.

More importantly, he can rehab as hard as he wants. It still doesn't mean he puts enough effort into improving his game. It doesn't tell us about his diet or his desire to be in shape.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject:

It also doesn't tell us he is lazy.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Parking in handicap spots of half empty parking lots does tell us he's lazy though. Tells us he's a moron too.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject:

frozen rope wrote:

Bynum played under Phil Jackson and it didn't serve to motivate or inspire him much. I don't see Byron Scott being the guy to somehow finally break through to Andrew.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject:

frozen rope wrote:
Quote:

Summer 2012, I posted that I spoke with a doctor who is WELL aware of Bynum's knees. The description he gave was "damaged goods". This was after his all-star season and before he was traded for Howard. No one knew that he would miss the following season.
He also said Howard would get back to his former self but the surgery might reduce his playing career by a year or 2. So far he was correct, so I'll continue to believe that Bynum is done unless a miracle happens.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject:

IF healthy ?

Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
s_habe wrote:
ADA32 wrote:

Why not just sign some young player instead? There are lots of guys who went undrafted that have more heart than Bynum. There are plenty of guys who would be thrilled to get a call.

And Bynum is a much higher risk than people are saying. I'll go as far as saying the guy is a locker room cancer. He also makes it easier for players to ignore the coach because he will do things that are not in the gameplan, get benched, laugh and have a great time on the bench, and then tell the media that he isn't going to do what the coach says.

He is also lazy and when you have lazy guys in the locker room, that's always a bad thing. Plus he has no heart. When a team is a big underdog, those are the last things it needs.

Because lazy guys work themselves into top NBA shape for the draft and then work themselves back from injury after injury? Kwame was lazy, he routinely missed rehab sessions, Bynum worked his butt off to get back on the court. As a Laker, lazy is a poor term to describe Bynum.

Where is your proof that he worked himself into "top NBA shape" for the draft? That sounds like it was made up. The guy was still a teenager.

So he worked himself back from injury. So what? I'm supposed to be impressed because Kwame was even worse?

If one of the most impressive claims you can muster up is "He did this better than Kwame Brown," then that speaks volumes.

Look at his 300lbs+ stature during the McDonald's High School All Star game and his 260lbs. draft day physique.

I guess he lazily lost 40lbs. in just over a couple of months.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely NO!!!

He's done, nothing else to say...

This coming from a Drew fan of the PAST...
HC: Riley
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject:

Lakers 71-72 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
s_habe wrote:
ADA32 wrote:

Look at his 300lbs+ stature during the McDonald's High School All Star game and his 260lbs. draft day physique.

What was he doing being so heavy in the first place?
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject:

Bynum is done that is why
Xtreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject:

beasley, bledsoe, and bynum.

how come no players with a positive attitude and that's healthy rumored with the lakers ?
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject:

Bring Bynum back, nothing to lose here really, if it doesn't work out just cut him but if he could get his old form back he would be a big addition on the cheap. Also, get a 3rd team involved and make the Bledsoe pipe dream happen.

Bynum/Hill
Boozer/Randle
Kobe/Swaggy
Bledsoe/Xavier
Lin/Nash
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject:

Their respective agents may be busy trying to find them a job but Andrew Bynum (could sit out the season) & Michael Beasley are still available after all this time.
They have red flags out there but eventually I believe that both will land on an NBA squad somewhere.
It will be interesting to see where they land.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
He was overweight and out of shape before draft workouts and developed himself into a top 10 pick. Maybe you weren't around then. He rehabbed hard from both major knee injuries to return and help the team. You could call him many things but lazy isn't one of them.
Agree

The down side is minimal if Drew was given a minimum contract and Beasley a contract close to minimum that is non-guaranteed until after the season starts - if they are on the roster (basically a camp invite).

They are young talented players that are facing a critical point of their careers of whether it is in the NBA or Europe with a great motivation to produce.

Drew would only be playing around 15mpg and Beasley coming off the bench with Nick Young/X making it offensively potent.

With Nash/JLin both being pass-first PGs that thrive on P&Rs, both could thrive.

It is not a star-studded team like the Cavs, but it will be a deep team filled with motivated players under the strong on-court leadership of the Black Mamba (strategic key) and the no-nonsense coaching of BScott where everybody is accountable all the time
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
Parking in handicap spots of half empty parking lots does tell us he's lazy though. Tells us he's a moron too.

Uh, didn't he qualify as a handicap?
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Lakers 71-72 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
s_habe wrote:
ADA32 wrote:

Your original point makes this last question irrelevant.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 71-72 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Lakers 71-72 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
s_habe wrote:
ADA32 wrote:

Your original point makes this last question irrelevant.

It does no such thing. Losing 40 pounds doesn't show that he was in "top NBA shape." It means he got into much better shape. That's not the same thing. Are we supposed to be impressed because he was like a student that procrastinated before he put in some effort? Even Shaq had his moments when he lost weight and got into better shape. I still think Shaq was lazy.

All of this faith people have in Bynum is unbelievable. If the guy had the same mentality as Kobe it would be one thing, but does anyone think he is anywhere near that?

I think I'd have more faith in Odom right now and I don't have much faith in Lamar either.

Last edited by Steve007 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11
Jump to: