How good can Kobe realistically be from this point forward?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject:

He'll be a 22-25 ppg all-star. The savy-vet who can still get it done with more smarts than athleticism. Maybe not top 5, but close.

I actually think both he and Pau will be in the all-star game this year.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
He'll be a 22-25 ppg all-star. The savy-vet who can still get it done with more smarts than athleticism. Maybe not top 5, but close.

I actually think both he and Pau will be in the all-star game this year.

2012-2013 Kobe.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject:

I think he's going to surprise people by playing that mj post/wing role and let them feed him in his spots. If he's healthy and Scott can keep him disciplined, you might see some of his best fg%
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject:

THE_TWELFTH wrote:
You guys are really trippi'n with some of these low (for Kobe) expectations. Let's be clear... HE WILL NEVER LET YOU SEE HIM PAUL PIERCE. Kobe will NEVER average those lowball un-Kobe like numbers. He would retire long before. If he can't modify his approach to the game to still put up his career averages... and be Kobe... Even if it's a different but just as effective Kobe, he will retire.
So y'all can let those nightmares go.

"It's interesting to me to hear people put the proverbial nail in the coffin. Very interesting. You think I'll hang around and average 19 points, 18 points and stuff like that? Hell no!" ~ Kobe Bryant

I agree with this. I can't see Kobe ever being the guy who gets abused or just one of the guys. He'll find ways to adjust and be dominant or he'll retire.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject:

I want his minutes to be managed like Pop manages Tim Duncan. They're gonna surprise a lot of people. They will be involved in a playoff push and Kobe needs to be fresh for that. No crazy extended 2nd/3rd minutes. No big minutes on back to backs. Rest with even minor injuries. If he can avoid another major injury, he'll still get 20/4/4.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Bear in mind Kobe has already surpassed dominque in minutes played. Nique finished with around 38k minutes; Kobe is already at 45k minutes. They are compounded as you age.

He surpassed him long ago because of playoffs. Kobe has over 8K playoff mins and Nique has like 2K. So 55K mins vs 40K.

Minutes are minutes. And playoff minutes are even worse than regular season ones.

I'm really hoping for the best. But I'm Kobe's age and it's a miracle that someone who is 36 can compete against guys nearly half his age. Of course Kobe is elite beyond elite in terms of training and dedication, but mid-30s is when most guys like me start toning it down athletically. We are expecting him to basically improve against the natural athletic decline.

I'm glad Kobe realizes he has to change his game, and he will. I think we see a more patient and efficient Kobe going forward.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
THE_TWELFTH wrote:
You guys are really trippi'n with some of these low (for Kobe) expectations. Let's be clear... HE WILL NEVER LET YOU SEE HIM PAUL PIERCE. Kobe will NEVER average those lowball un-Kobe like numbers. He would retire long before. If he can't modify his approach to the game to still put up his career averages... and be Kobe... Even if it's a different but just as effective Kobe, he will retire.

"It's interesting to me to hear people put the proverbial nail in the coffin. Very interesting. You think I'll hang around and average 19 points, 18 points and stuff like that? Hell no!" ~ Kobe Bryant

I agree with this. I can't see Kobe ever being the guy who gets abused or just one of the guys. He'll find ways to adjust and be dominant or he'll retire.

Which is a bit of a shame. The "be the best player or retire" is an impetuous
standard. While I agree if he's pulling off a "Willie Mays at the end of his career" bit, that's one thing, but if Kobe will hang it up b/c he's only capable of putting up 18 or 20 ppg, not sure that's a good reason to do so. There are lots of great players who may not be able to put up the absurd #s like Kobe did in his prime that continue contributing and being main cogs on championship teams well into their mid-30s (Duncan and Manu most recently).
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
THE_TWELFTH wrote:

standard. While I agree if he's pulling off a "Willie Mays at the end of his career" bit, that's one thing, but if Kobe will hang it up b/c he's only capable of putting up 18 or 20 ppg, not sure that's a good reason to do so. There are lots of great players who may not be able to put up the absurd #s like Kobe did in his prime that continue contributing and being main cogs on championship teams well into their mid-30s (Duncan and Manu most recently).

His strength is his weakness. That's just not part of his mental makeup IMO. When you've just abused people all of your life, 14 straight 40 point games, 81, 62 in 3, 4X50+, average 40 month 4 times, etc, I don't think you settle for being late career Duncan or Ginobli. And frankly, as much as I will literally cry when he does retire, I don't know if I want to see him as an 18 ppg guy either.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
THE_TWELFTH wrote:

His strength is his weakness. That's just not part of his mental makeup IMO. When you've just abused people all of your life, 14 straight 40 point games, 81, 62 in 3, 4X50+, average 40 month 4 times, etc, I don't think you settle for being late career Duncan or Ginobli. And frankly, as much as I will literally cry when he does retire, I don't know if I want to see him as an 18 ppg guy either.

I'm hoping that his "evolve" statement holds true. I don't want him trying to cram dunks on Deandre Jordan just to prove he "has it." I want to see that sage Kobe who will pace himself, use his massive arsenal of weapons. I think we may see that this year.

If Kobe is able to contribute at a high level on a consistent basis (though not at elite stat levels), I hope he doesn't have a problem playing.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject:

I don't know if I want to see him as an 18 ppg guy either.

Definitely not how I feel. So long as he can contribute in a meaningful way, I'd be happy to watch Kobe play.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject:

Is there a difference for some fans with Kobe at 18 PPG because of:

1. Restricted minutes and thus reduced shot attempts compared to his past history.

Or

2. A lower FG percentage and/or increased difficulty in getting a shot off against the defense.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject:

THE_TWELFTH wrote:

He wants that longevity record, and will get it with this contract, so I don't see him retiring before this contract is done. He will have the record for at least a little while depending on Duncan and how long he plays.
fadeaway3
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I think he's going to surprise people by playing that mj post/wing role and let them feed him in his spots. If he's healthy and Scott can keep him disciplined, you might see some of his best fg%

If he does this, I can see him playing another 4 years at a pretty high level. MJ with the Wizzards was still very effective even at an advance nba age.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: