Jim Buss vs. Steve Ballmer: Who will get his team to championship faster?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who gets his team to a championship faster?
Jim Buss who hired Mike D'antoni and Mike Brown
54%
 54%  [ 71 ]
Steve Ballmer, the screaming CEO behind Windows Vista
45%
 45%  [ 60 ]
Total Votes : 131

shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Jim Buss vs. Steve Ballmer: Who will get his team to championship faster?

On one hand, in Jim Buss, you have an heir to a multibillion dollar franchise with pretty recent championship success, albeit with debatable contributions.
On the other hand, he has run this franchise to the bottom with disastrous hires like Brown and Dantoni.

On one hand, in Ballmer, you have a multibillionaire businessman who ran one of the largest and most recognizable companies in the world.
On the other hand, since Ballmer became the CEO, Microsoft's stock price has actually gone down.
This is exceptional considering in that same 14 year period, S&P has gone up by 50% and AAPL has gone up by 5x.

So who among these distinguished billionaire businessmen succeed first?
BamBam-31
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject:

Is this supposed to be an unbiased poll?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

Despite the huge current advantage that Ballmer has, my general disdain for the Clipper organization makes me vote for the Lakers.

Ballmer is deep pocketed, has the blessing of the League and media and most importantly a contending squad this year.

Buss has multiple issues with roster, organization stability and thinly veiled bias by the media and non-Laker fans across the Nation.

IMO Buss is learning he needs to reduce his involvement and trust in professionals like Kupchak to bring back some continuity to the Lakers. All depends on how they spend the Kobe dollars when he retires.

My prediction is the Clippers will continue to find a way to lose in the playoffs and the Lakers will rebuild and bring home a trophy in the next five years.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject:

LGers need to take classes in creation of polls and surveys. I've never seen a collection of so many poorly created polls in one place.

Jim Buss already had this team at a championship.
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject:

The Lakers are the Lakers and the Clippers suck. The Clippers will never win because they are the Clippers. They will always be second choice in the market. In the current situation, a team that has Blake Griffin as its second best player won't win it all.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LGers need to take classes in creation of polls and surveys. I've never seen a collection of so many poorly created polls in one place.

Jim Buss already had this team at a championship.

Yeah okay, Dr, professor of polls and surveys.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject:

The Clips should be primed to win a chip. But then again we saw Chris Paul flop his team to a loss. They obviously still have the mental hurdle to get over but they better break through soon or people are going to start second guessing and I can't imagine Ballmer is going to sit quietly if that happens.

!...
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject:

I think the Clippers are certainly in a better seat in the short term, but I don't see them getting a title. And I do have confidence in the Lakers to get back on top, even if they have to endure a few more mediocre seasons to get there.
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject:

How does a single person take complete responsibility for taking a team to a championship? The Clippers as an organization are already poised to contend and that has nothing to do with Steve Balmers position as owner.

On the other hand the Lakers are in a pseudo rebuilding mode after a championship run. People seem to underestimate what it takes to win a ring with teams going decades without even sniffing the finals. Im going to withhold my vote because the poll is invalid.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject:

Next 2-3 years, Clips have the leg up. They are a few moves away.

Lakers are riding Kobe out and then we have a full rebuild (though it could be a quick one).
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Jim Buss vs. Steve Ballmer: Who will get his team to championship faster?

shnxx wrote:
On one hand, in Jim Buss, you have an heir to a multibillion dollar franchise with pretty recent championship success, albeit with debatable contributions.
On the other hand, he has run this franchise to the bottom with disastrous hires like Brown and Dantoni.

On one hand, in Ballmer, you have a multibillionaire businessman who ran one of the largest and most recognizable companies in the world.
On the other hand, since Ballmer became the CEO, Microsoft's stock price has actually gone down.
This is exceptional considering in that same 14 year period, S&P has gone up by 50% and AAPL has gone up by 5x.

Why do you have 3 hands?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Jim Buss has won titles, so I voted for him. And as Microsoft saw itself being passed up by Google, Apple and others under Balmer's watch, the Clippers will also be passed in the standings by other WC teams.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Buss vs. Steve Ballmer: Who will get his team to championship faster?

12 wrote:
shnxx wrote:

Why do you have 3 hands?

kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Jim Buss has won titles, so I voted for him. And as Microsoft saw itself being passed up by Google, Apple and others under Balmer's watch, the Clippers will also be passed in the standings by other WC teams.

Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject:

I love Ballmer. I picked up some Microsoft stock around $25 a share and haven't looked back.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."

Last edited by Lakersneuron on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Balmer doesn't look like the smartest guy in terms of prediction but I bet he would be more fun to hang out with. Although the screaming might make you go deaf,.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Lakers are about Nepotism not Championships right now.
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject:

It's the Clippers . . .

get a grip.

Ballmer really stuck his foot in it this time.

BTW - Disclosure . . . . I use a Mac.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:
The Lakers are the Lakers and the Clippers suck. The Clippers will never win because they are the Clippers. They will always be second choice in the market. In the current situation, a team that has Blake Griffin as its second best player won't win it all.

The Clippers didn't win because of Donald Sterling. I often thought that Sterling winning a championship would be the biggest surprise in sports in this country, even more surprising than the Rams coming out of nowhere and winning a Super Bowl. Without Sterling they're not going to be the same old Clippers.

The answer to this poll depends on whether Griffin/Paul win a title IMO. Duh. I think the Clippers talent is overrated because they're so weak on the wings. Matt Barnes is the best defender they have there. That's always going to be a problem for them against the elite teams.

And Blake is clearly better than Paul.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Screamin' Steve Ballmer's team is closer to one but who knows if they'll ever make it over the cusp. Lakers will re-load sometime down the line and could eventually contend again like the 00's and 80's. It's likely the Roaring 2020s will be another Lakers decade.

As much as it pains me to vote for Jim, think it'll eventually happen before Screamin' Stevie B gets one.
cvballa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject:

He's no genius!

Don't think he's anything special.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Mark Cuban was the exception...excessively rich, micro managing, crazy owners usually over spend the team into a corner. I am not convinced Ballmer won't be another Daniel Snyder or Prokhorov.
Anon-kun
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject:

*tried to vote for Bill Gates*
....well then
NYClakerguy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Clippers win the chip next season.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Jim Buss won titles?

Sorry to disappoint you but I think that "statement" is not true.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: