Jim Buss vs. Steve Ballmer: Who will get his team to championship faster?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who gets his team to a championship faster?
Jim Buss who hired Mike D'antoni and Mike Brown
54%
 54%  [ 71 ]
Steve Ballmer, the screaming CEO behind Windows Vista
45%
 45%  [ 60 ]
Total Votes : 131

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
NomisR wrote:
shnxx wrote:
Keeping Bernie would've been preferable to hiring MDA.
It wasn't as if they were taking some chance with Mike Brown and Mike D'antoni, where it could've paid off.
Almost all of the fans and the media knew what we were getting in these guys.

Mike Brown - a defensive coach who wasn't so charismatic or bright (just look at the interviews). Fired by Cleveland.

Mike D'antoni - a redneck who says odd things that don't make any sense who lucked out with Nash then was exposed later in NYC.

It's quite incredible that Lakers hired these guys. I really don't think it's hindsight bias either because at the time of hire, the board was very much negative on the hires.

Keeping Bernie isn't a choice, he did not want to be the head coach. And the rest was just revisionist history...

you thought MDA and brown were good choices at the time of the hires?

MDA was an improvement over Brown.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
THE_TWELFTH wrote:
shnxx wrote:
THE_TWELFTH wrote:
It's crazy... Transfer everyone on the Clippers to the Lakers minus Chris Paul, and would there be any doubt the Lakers would be the favorites for the title? What does that really say about Chris Paul?

Yes there would be significant doubts.
Griffin does not seem to be capable of being the #1 player on a chapmpionship contender.

I'm afraid I wasn't. Clear. Kobe replaces Paul as the #1 player. With supporting cast Kobe would definitely be in the finals.

Not with a hobbled Kobe they won't.
Kobe is now very old and injured.
It would be very difficult to expect him to come back totally healthy after he's been hobbled for a year.

We won't have a hobbled Kobe. And Kobe gives the Clips what CP3 and Griffin do not, someone to close out a tough game. Without that player the Clips will be happy with 2nd round playoff losses for the future. At least until CP3's knees give out for good and they are back in the lottery.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
NomisR wrote:
shnxx wrote:
NomisR wrote:
shnxx wrote:
It wasn't as if they were taking some chance with Mike Brown and Mike D'antoni, where it could've paid off.

Mike Brown - a defensive coach who wasn't so charismatic or bright (just look at the interviews). Fired by Cleveland.

Mike D'antoni - a redneck who says odd things that don't make any sense who lucked out with Nash then was exposed later in NYC.

It's quite incredible that Lakers hired these guys. I really don't think it's hindsight bias either because at the time of hire, the board was very much negative on the hires.

Keeping Bernie isn't a choice, he did not want to be the head coach. And the rest was just revisionist history...

I didn't like Mike Brown, but statistically, he was the best choice, it was between Mike Brown, Rick Adelman and Brian Shaw, .. I guess you would've picked Brian Shaw.

Therein lies the problem, Jim was so quick to clear out the Phil brigade that he bit of his nose to spite his face.

The problem is people believing and posting what you just did. You know, incorrect information, despite the fact that the truth has been posted over and over again.
NomisR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
NomisR wrote:
shnxx wrote:
NomisR wrote:
shnxx wrote:

I didn't like Mike Brown, but statistically, he was the best choice, it was between Mike Brown, Rick Adelman and Brian Shaw, .. I guess you would've picked Brian Shaw.

Therein lies the problem, Jim was so quick to clear out the Phil brigade that he bit of his nose to spite his face.

No, the problem was, Phil Jackson got swept by the Mavs in the 2nd round, if we got to the finals or even the conference finals, it would've been different. But since he didn't, and if it was actually Phil coaching, they probably would've continued as is. But since it was someone lesser than Phil with no actual head coach experience, it makes sense to go ahead with someone else.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject:

Fwiw, ballmer was kind of handed his fortune as well...
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject:

So Ballmer's first move as owner is giving up a 1st rounder in order to get rid of Dudley's contract. They got Delfino but he is not expected to play this season. Interesting move especially since Clippers are not in the luxury tax.

Lakers could have given up Pau/Hill for nothing last season in order to save money while they were in the tax during their worse season ever. Clippers are not in the tax and are trying to win a championship and are looking for salary dumps.

I am not saying Lakers have never done salary dumps, but an an interesting start for Ballmer.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Maybe. But Ballmer chose/gambled to work at Microsoft (was 30th employee hired). Grew up in an affluent household but from the looks of it, a very bright guy:

Quote:
with a perfect score of 800 on the mathematical section of the SAT. He now sits on the school's board of directors. In 1977, he graduated magna (bleep) laude from Harvard College with an A.B. in applied mathematics and economics.

Jim didn't exactly choose to be born in the Buss family, but I guess he chose to work for the Lakers. Not saying Jim is stupid, but I think Ballmer's situation is a bit different from Jim's.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

In exchange for labor performed, you mean.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
shnxx wrote:
THE_TWELFTH wrote:
shnxx wrote:
THE_TWELFTH wrote:
It's crazy... Transfer everyone on the Clippers to the Lakers minus Chris Paul, and would there be any doubt the Lakers would be the favorites for the title? What does that really say about Chris Paul?

Griffin does not seem to be capable of being the #1 player on a chapmpionship contender.

I'm afraid I wasn't. Clear. Kobe replaces Paul as the #1 player. With supporting cast Kobe would definitely be in the finals.

It would be very difficult to expect him to come back totally healthy after he's been hobbled for a year.

We won't have a hobbled Kobe. And Kobe gives the Clips what CP3 and Griffin do not, someone to close out a tough game. Without that player the Clips will be happy with 2nd round playoff losses for the future. At least until CP3's knees give out for good and they are back in the lottery.

How do you know? Divine revelation?

It is likely that an old injured player who missed a year will likely not be back to pre-injury.

To make any claim to the contrary would require extraordinary evidence.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject:

NomisR wrote:
BennyLava wrote:
NomisR wrote:
shnxx wrote:
NomisR wrote:
shnxx wrote:

No, the problem was, Phil Jackson got swept by the Mavs in the 2nd round, if we got to the finals or even the conference finals, it would've been different. But since he didn't, and if it was actually Phil coaching, they probably would've continued as is. But since it was someone lesser than Phil with no actual head coach experience, it makes sense to go ahead with someone else.

Mike D'antoni and Mike Brown sound like (bleep) IDIOTS in the interviews.
They can't be all that charming in real life could they?
I really cannot understand why Lakers or any other team ever hired these people.
More inexplicable is the fact that they were hired after they were unceremoniously discharged by the Cavs for Brown and Knicks and MDA.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject:

NomisR wrote:
shnxx wrote:

When they asked Bernie why, he said, because "this is Phil's job".
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
shnxx wrote:
THE_TWELFTH wrote:
shnxx wrote:
THE_TWELFTH wrote:

How do you know? Divine revelation?

It is likely that an old injured player who missed a year will likely not be back to pre-injury.

To make any claim to the contrary would require extraordinary evidence.

I pay attention to what is reported.
NomisR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
NomisR wrote:

I really cannot understand why Lakers or any other team ever hired these people.
More inexplicable is the fact that they were hired after they were unceremoniously discharged by the Cavs for Brown and Knicks and MDA.

I wouldn't go that far, but LA media's pretty stunted. And after 2 years of dealing with.. Why aren't you Phil Jackson, you either tune them out and give short answered a la Popovich, or talk cryptically like Phil, or sarcasm like Bynum, or basically lash out. If you serious try to answer the questions like the Mikes did, they get their asses handed to them because everything Lakers related is overly scrutinized and news gets made up, overblown, and what not..

As for the hiring of MDA and Brown, .. so are you in favor of the Scott hire?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
24 wrote:

In exchange for labor performed, you mean.

He had the right friends. He nearly ruined Microsoft with both his strategy and management style. I have several friends inside the company and he was both an internal terror and his monopoly strategy at the price of real innovation was horrible.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject:

magna (bleep) laude

The swear filter is artificially unintelligent.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject:

NomisR wrote:
shnxx wrote:
NomisR wrote:

I wouldn't go that far, but LA media's pretty stunted. And after 2 years of dealing with.. Why aren't you Phil Jackson, you either tune them out and give short answered a la Popovich, or talk cryptically like Phil, or sarcasm like Bynum, or basically lash out. If you serious try to answer the questions like the Mikes did, they get their asses handed to them because everything Lakers related is overly scrutinized and news gets made up, overblown, and what not..

As for the hiring of MDA and Brown, .. so are you in favor of the Scott hire?

I'm not in favor of Scott hire.

His history with Cavs, Hornets and Nets suggest that he tends to underachieve with the exception of the one year when Jason-led Nets made a run in the East.
Granted there aren't many fantastic choices and the team is not going to compete with this roster so it doesn't really matter.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: