Brandon Jennings: "Kobe is GOAT"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject:

When Wooden gives an opinion that Kobe is the greatest ever then it carries great weight. I happen to agree with him. That is all.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
When Wooden gives an opinion that Kobe is the greatest ever then it carries great weight. I happen to agree with him. That is all.

I was ecstatic when I heard that from Wooden. Of course I agree as well. I am quite confident in saying that Kobe is the best overall player I've ever seen, including MJ. I can only be confident from about the Magic/Larry era until now, nothing before that because I didn't follow the sport in detail before them. But of that span, he is the best. So hearing that from Wooden who has seen soooooo much more, it's nice and validating.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject:

NYClakerguy wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Quote:
BRANDON JENNINGS @BrandonJennings · 27m

I'm all about who I see LIVE I guess. Kobe is the GOAT of this generation. If you fighting that Unfollow me then.

https://twitter.com/BrandonJennings/status/501899302776487936

GOAT is supposed to mean greatest of all generations... le sigh... stay in school kids...

This is the guy who asked Bogut how his english was so good coming from Australia
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:

So you would have given up Kobe Bryant to get Lebron James in 2009? That's what Wooden said.

(For the record, I would not have).
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

So you would have given up Kobe Bryant to get Lebron James in 2009? That's what Wooden said.

He is talking from a coach's perspective...and building a new team...where Bryant was in his 30s and Lebron was early 20s. I would not have because I am a laker fan and Bryant's history with the franchise means a lot to me, just like Magic. I want Bryant to retire a laker. There is a lot of prestige of only playing with one team.
ppineda
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:

Except he didn't say that, he said "from a physical point of view is the best to ever play the game," but if he had a team now he'd go with LeBron James.

Keep misinterpreting Wooden to acheive your goals. Kobe isn't GOAT, but he's top 5 easy.
ppineda
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

He is talking from a coach's perspective...and building a new team...where Bryant was in his 30s and Lebron was early 20s. I would not have because I am a laker fan and Bryant's history with the franchise means a lot to me, just like Magic. I want Bryant to retire a laker. There is a lot of prestige of only playing with one team.

Are you a Laker fan, or just a Kobe fan? Because if you were a Laker fan, wouldn't you want the Lakers to be great for another decade or so and win more titles? If you are Lakers first you would do this... If you are a mindless Kobe fan, you'd say something similar to what you said.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject:

Kobe is the best player of this generation, but IMO Magic is by far the greatest Laker of all time. Best all around and most versatile player in NBA history. If we could draft any player in their prime to start a franchise, Magic would be my pick.

Jordan and Kobe are two of the greatest scorers and clutch players, but Magic made his teammates better and was a great leader even at a young age. He played the game the right way and never threw his teammates under the bus, everyone respected him including his opponents.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Kobe is the best player of this generation, but IMO Magic is by far the greatest Laker of all time. Best all around and most versatile player in NBA history. If we could draft any player in their prime to start a franchise, Magic would be my pick.

Jordan and Kobe are two of the greatest scorers and clutch players, but Magic made his teammates better and was a great leader even at a young age. He played the game the right way and never threw his teammates under the bus, everyone respected him including his opponents.

Agree 100%
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

So Magic is BY FAR the best Laker? So where you have Kareem and Kobe on your GOAT list? Are they even in it? Or is Magic #1 and then a huge gap to #2? Sorry but saying Magic is BY FAR the best Laker is just wrong and stupid. He's arguably the best Laker just as Kobe and Kareem.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Not an easy choice but if I had to start a team with any former or current Laker in their prime I would take Magic. He made all of his teammates better. Not saying he's better than Kobe or Cap.

I believe it was someone interviewed on one of the Laker Top 10 shows on TWC that said it best. "Magic was chemistry." "Magic was intangibles."
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject:

ppineda wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

Are you a Laker fan, or just a Kobe fan? Because if you were a Laker fan, wouldn't you want the Lakers to be great for another decade or so and win more titles? If you are Lakers first you would do this... If you are a mindless Kobe fan, you'd say something similar to what you said.

So, being a Laker fan makes you a thinking individual but being a Kobe fan makes you mindless? That's just ridiculous. As a matter of fact, it's pretty mindless.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
Not an easy choice but if I had to start a team with any former or current Laker in their prime I would take Magic. He made all of his teammates better. Not saying he's better than Kobe or Cap.

I believe it was someone interviewed on one of the Laker Top 10 shows on TWC that said it best. "Magic was chemistry." "Magic was intangibles."

I forget who said it, but the gist was that magic could beat you with his team, then turn around and beat you with yours. No player impacted the floor as much as magic IMO.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

So Magic is BY FAR the best Laker? So where you have Kareem and Kobe on your GOAT list? Are they even in it? Or is Magic #1 and then a huge gap to #2? Sorry but saying Magic is BY FAR the best Laker is just wrong and stupid. He's arguably the best Laker just as Kobe and Kareem.

Fwiw, Kareem in his prime took a good laker team to 47 wins and early playoff exit. Add a rookie magic and that team went straight to the finals and the rookie closed it out while Kareem rested an injured ankle.

Also fwiw, magic was older than Kareem was in his year pre magic when magic took a lesser team to the finals against the Bulls. Where Kareem ranks all time is subjective, but it is pretty objectively clear that he was never as important to laker titles as Magic was. Magic mattered more to winning. That's no knock on Kareem, any more than saying my was a better player is a knock on Kobe.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject:

ppineda wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

Except he didn't say that, he said "from a physical point of view is the best to ever play the game," but if he had a team now he'd go with LeBron James.

Keep misinterpreting Wooden to acheive your goals. Kobe isn't GOAT, but he's top 5 easy.

Except this wasn't the only time he said something along those lines. In the interview, Bob clearly stated that Wooden put Kobe over Jordan as the GOAT. He talked for Wooden for 2 hours, so there really is no room for questioning that Wooden believed Kobe was the greatest of all time, unless you don't like Kobe as the GOAT, or are the usual Kobe hater.

There is no concrete GOAT list, I just happen to side with Wooden that Kobe is the GOAT. To say Kobe could not be considered the greatest of all time is false, because the greatest of all time is a matter of opinion. I think if Kobe wins another ring, he won't move up or down, because he is the GOAT already.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Jordan and Kobe are two of the greatest scorers and clutch players, but Magic made his teammates better and was a great leader even at a young age. He played the game the right way.

Kareem is 4th after Jordan, Magic, and Russell. I have Kobe 6th after Bird. Both are two of the top 3 greatest scorers of all time, but Magic was a better overall player and had a bigger advantage at his position.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Jordan and Kobe are two of the greatest scorers and clutch players, but Magic made his teammates better and was a great leader even at a young age. He played the game the right way.

Kareem is 4th after Jordan, Magic, and Russell. I have Kobe 6th after Bird. Both are two of the top 3 greatest scorers of all time, but Magic was a better overall player and had a bigger advantage at his position.

Seems like you're shorting Wilt.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject:

^ I have Wilt 7th, both are interchangeable. It was a close call between those 2 but there's really no wrong answer. Both were great scorers, I just gave Kobe a slight edge because he won more.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
^ I have Wilt 7th, both are interchangeable. It was a close call between those 2 but there's really no wrong answer. Both were great scorers, I just gave Kobe a slight edge because he won more.

You're of course free to list them where you like, but wilt didn't win because he played during the Celtics 11 of 13 era. No one else won either, including the great Jerry West. wilt actually has one more ring than West. And Wilt did stuff unseen by any other player (and yes, part of it was era, but if that was all of it, why did no one else in the era come close to what he put up?).
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject:

BTW, if we're going to downgrade Wilt for the lack of more titles, then we cannot downgrade Russell for the amount he won. We can't have it both ways. Cant say they matter if you didnt get them but not if you did. If Russell winning everything every year counts against Wilt, then it makes Russell the default GOAT.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject:

saacman5033 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Agree 100%

Nope. It's just a matter of opinion and preference.
Magic could not make the SCRUBS better than Kobe could.
You can say Magic's HOF teammates MADE MAGIC's Jobs EASIER.
Magic could not have made Khwame All Thumbs suddenly a great catcher of Magic's no-look passes.
Magic's teammates were already great themselves and thus MADE Magic's jobs EASIER.
I highly doubt Magic could have led the SCRUBS of 2005 to 45 wins in the loaded western conference like Kobe had done.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
ppineda wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

So, being a Laker fan makes you a thinking individual but being a Kobe fan makes you mindless? That's just ridiculous. As a matter of fact, it's pretty mindless.

ppineda
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
ppineda wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

There are Kobe fans, and there are mindless Kobe fans. There's a difference, so I had to qualify it. Kobe fans will root for Kobe, say he's the greatest and support good things he does. Mindless Kobe fans will mindlessly support Kobe (that's where I got it from) and support anything he says and does. No matter if it hurts the team, no matter if it hurts the Lakers franchise. That is operating without a mind.

And if you can't tell the difference, it's probably because you can't see the forest from the trees.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:

I forget who said it, but the gist was that magic could beat you with his team, then turn around and beat you with yours. No player impacted the floor as much as magic IMO.

I see Kobe and MJ being able to do exactly the same thing and do it on both ends of the floor. The one thing you could never do is put Magic on the hottest player on the floor of the opposition and shut him down and take him out of the game. Kobe and MJ could do that. That's the difference.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Fwiw, Kareem in his prime took a good laker team to 47 wins and early playoff exit. Add a rookie magic and that team went straight to the finals and the rookie closed it out while Kareem rested an injured ankle.

Also fwiw, magic was older than Kareem was in his year pre magic when magic took a lesser team to the finals against the Bulls. Where Kareem ranks all time is subjective, but it is pretty objectively clear that he was never as important to laker titles as Magic was. Magic mattered more to winning. That's no knock on Kareem, any more than saying my was a better player is a knock on Kobe.

It might not be a knock on Kobe but it sure is wrong.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: