Brandon Jennings: "Kobe is GOAT"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Sure there is. Nice try sending me on a wild goose chase. That article does not exist. Quit digging yerself a bigger hole and let's just move on.

You know, man, I really think they're just trolling you with the John Wooden stuff. Every time they mention the apocryphal John Wooden statement, it provokes a response from you. From here on out, you and I should just respond to this stuff with "Your cat doesn't really love you." Arian Foster would appreciate it.

So Jeggs, your cat doesn't really love you.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject:

There were two instances when wooden said kobe was the greatest ever actually.

Honestly the real question is why is ringfinger and Aeneas hell bent on discrediting people when they give a positive opinion on Kobe Bryant...as if you guys have any shred of credibility or reputation to go on...

That's what I want to know. Seems like you guys are always involved in strong arming your opinion here...in kobe bryant ranking threads.

Any time Kobe is involved in an all time great conversation you guys are here to discredit good things that are said about him, and spin it off as some kind of lie. Wooden said it, and it is what it is. You just gotta come to terms with that fact.

He's just a comedian...but someone who probably has connections and has sat down with Wooden. While ringfinger and Aeneas are just random dudes on a forum that have zero connections in LA...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject:

Sorry man, but your cat doesn't really love you.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject:

Here's my question for you. Why would you assume that what Super Dave said he heard, and the context in which he heard it, is undeniably true?

And if I told you L'Boombox Clarkson-Paige said that he was there and Wooden didn't actually say that, would you believe that? Or would you want some kind of ability to verify L'Boombox's story?
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Here's my question for you. Why would you assume that what Super Dave said he heard, and the context in which he heard it, is undeniably true?

And if I told you L'Boombox Clarkson-Paige said that he was there and Wooden didn't actually say that, would you believe that? Or would you want some kind of ability to verify L'Boombox's story?

No I need verifiable video evidence for everything that is said. If it's not on youtube, I don't believe it. I don't believe in stats either because I don't know who counted those made buckets and what kind of credibility they have. If someone said the sky was blue, I need that verified, with verifiable video evidence that the sky said it was blue.

Seriously, you guys look at these made up statistical formulas like Warp, Per, and win shares, but a millionaire LA comedian/writer in his 60s who met with Wooden is "lying" when Wooden has given Kobe the same kind of praise in other instances?

Keep hating...but why hate in a lakers forum when there is realgm to do that. jazziums.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

No I need verifiable video evidence for everything that is said. If it's not on youtube, I don't believe it. I don't believe in stats either because I don't know who counted those made buckets and what kind of credibility they have. If someone said the sky was blue, I need that verified, with verifiable video evidence that the sky said it was blue.

Seriously, you guys look at these made up statistical formulas like Warp, Per, and win shares, but a millionaire LA comedian/writer in his 60s who met with Wooden is "lying" when Wooden has given Kobe the same kind of praise in other instances?

Keep hating...but why hate in a lakers forum when there is realgm to do that. jazziums.

So what about what L'Boombox Clarkson-Paige said then?
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Is that a real person?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Is that a real person?

Maybe he'll come post in here soon.

Wouldn't his claim be enough?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject:

From this thread
http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=99530&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

Air Apparent wrote:
dmlakerfan01 wrote:
No need to call the OP a liar, or hearing it wrong.

Super Dave said it himself. 15:25

http://podloc.andohs.net/dloadTrack.mp3?prm=2864xhttp://a.espnradio.com/podcenter/sportsguy/simmons091117a.mp3

Listen and weep MJ fanboys.

Of note is that this was before ring 4 and 5.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Is that a real person?

Maybe he'll come post in here soon.

Wouldn't his claim be enough?

I know you are trolling but...

You are arguing the credibility of a reputable actor versus someone nobody knows though.

The idea that you think Bob Einstein would lie about what Wooden said..which can't be argued because he clearly stated Kobe "over Jordan" is very deranged I guess, even if you are trolling. Guy had zero to gain for lying about his conservation with Wooden, which makes it all the more credible. Wooden was well respected and loved by everyone, and you are saying this guy is putting words in his mouth?

Wooden made similar comments here about kobe being the greatest ever:

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/may/01/sports/sp-simers1
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject:

Good lordie. Won't you guys just move on? Revisit this issue in 7 years after Kobe retires and is getting inducted into the HOF on a unanimous 1st ballot.
ringThingDoUrThiNg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject:

At this point the whole Wooden argument thing looks bad for this board. Someone needs to put an end to it.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject:

ringThingDoUrThiNg wrote:
At this point the whole Wooden argument thing looks bad for this board. Someone needs to put an end to it.

No. What makes this Lakers board look bad is the constant hating on the Lakers best player. It never seems to end. I don't know whether it's insecurity, jealousy, trolling, boredom, or whatever, but that is what needs an end put to, not the apparently futile attempts of people trying to stop these clowns with points and arguments.
L4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:

Quote:

(Wooden) says Kobe Bryant, "from a physical point of view is the best to ever play the game"...

Some room for interpretation there, but not much. It would certainly seem that Wooden did believe Bryant to be the best all time.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
You are arguing the credibility of a reputable actor versus someone nobody knows though.

The idea that you think Bob Einstein would lie about what Wooden said..which can't be argued because he clearly stated Kobe "over Jordan" is very deranged I guess, even if you are trolling. Guy had zero to gain for lying about his conservation with Wooden, which makes it all the more credible. Wooden was well respected and loved by everyone, and you are saying this guy is putting words in his mouth?

Wooden made similar comments here about kobe being the greatest ever:

Look, we're just going around in circles. I'm not saying Super Dave was lying. I'm saying I don't know the context under which what he said he heard, was said. We don't even know the actual words exchanged.

Even in the interview link you posted, Wooden added a qualifier "from a physical point of view" -- I don't even know what he really means by that. Plus, according to your article he even said he'd take Lebron James.

I'm done discussing the veracity of the claims. The point is that there is room for interpretation and misinterpretation here. In either case, what Wooden says doesn't improve Kobe's place in the GOAT list any more than it hurts his ranking because Wooden said he'd take Lebron. I'm sure you wouldn't have traded Kobe for Lebron back then, right? Me neither.

The bottom line here, whether we're talking about Wooden, Jennings or anyone else, is context. Jennings is a guy that thinks he doesn't make Team USA because he's not a Nike guy -- is he that clueless about the NBA talent landscape? Jennings' opinion, whether it is positive or negative about Kobe, means absolutely nothing to me because I can't just cherry pick one thing he says I like, and then ignore the rest of the stupid things he does and says.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Even in the interview link you posted, Wooden added a qualifier "from a physical point of view" -- I don't even know what he really means by that.

Actually, that's what I suspected that he meant all along. You can make an argument that Kobe is most impressive player of all time from a physical/skill perspective. There would be people who would argue for Jordan, Wilt, and a handful of others (Maravich, for example). Nonetheless, Kobe is supremely gifted, and I can believe that Wooden would call him the greatest of all time in that respect.

But that doesn't make him the greatest player of all time, and I doubt that Wooden would have said that. In that context, we look at what someone did with his skills, not just at the skills. For example, Kareem did not have the physical gifts that we see in Kobe, but he had a different set of skills that were devastating. Ditto for Snaq and a number of other big men. Likewise, there is more to basketball than just scoring, and the other facets of Kobe's game have been the subject of much criticism.
L4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Even in the interview link you posted, Wooden added a qualifier "from a physical point of view" -- I don't even know what he really means by that. Plus, according to your article he even said he'd take Lebron James.

I'm done discussing the veracity of the claims. The point is that there is room for interpretation and misinterpretation here. In either case, what Wooden says doesn't improve Kobe's place in the GOAT list any more than it hurts his ranking because Wooden said he'd take Lebron. I'm sure you wouldn't have traded Kobe for Lebron back then, right? Me neither.

Quote:

He says Kobe Bryant, "from a physical point of view is the best to ever play the game," but if he had a team now he'd go with LeBron James, who is younger.

Your bias is incredibly transparent.
L4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Actually, that's what I suspected that he meant all along.

Well, aside from the fact you expressed strong reservations that any such praise was given in the first place.
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Kobe didn't need Superteams to win like LeBron... Just a "Big". #Fact

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
SP_Fever
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject:

in other news, Brandon Jennings wishes Kobe a happy birthday

https://twitter.com/BrandonJennings/status/503250051385159680
Phil Jackson (June 17th, 2009):"What was our model of this team? The Ring, the ring, that was the model. Its not just this band of gold, its the circle that's made a bond between all of these players, a great love for one another, its a great feeling."
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject:

L4L wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Well, aside from the fact you expressed strong reservations that any such praise was given in the first place.

Yep. He has an agenda. Probably in denial as well after Kawhi ate his boy for breakfast...Aeneas is a big lebron fan.

So at least we are all in agreement now that Kobe is the Goat, and that Wooden said it. We can no move on to more pressing news, like what Kobe ate for breakfast this morning, and what time Lebron took a dump.

Last edited by Jeggs on Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject:

L4L wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Right. Sorry, but your cat doesn't really love you.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
L4L wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Yep. He has an agenda. Probably in denial as well after Kawhi ate his boy for breakfast...Aeneas is a big lebron fan.

Sorry, but your cat doesn't really love you.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
L4L wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Sorry, but your cat doesn't really love you.

Reported for spam.
L4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Frankly, Bryant isn't my GOAT, either. However, any time you promote a facade of objectivity through the use of statistics, you are doing analytics a disservice.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: