Great Read...Byron Scott Q&A with Trudell
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mporter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Great Read...Byron Scott Q&A with Trudell

Good interview... Coach Scott discusses his defensive philosophies, player roles, Kobe, Nash, the rookies, etc. Gotta admit he's saying all the right things. I'm liking this hire more and more.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/140820byronscott_qa?cid=FB
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Enjoyed that. Thanks.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject:

excellent interview. Lots of good stuff in there about how Scott plans to run the team and how he views his players.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject:

It seems like Scott has Lin starting at PG.

Excellent Interview so much perspective.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject:

What I took from it is that Randle is out of shspe. He just put it the pc way.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Scott: Defensive philosophy has to be constant. This is no knock on Mike at all, but there were games where they were playing defense one way, and other games where they played it differently. When I go into the season, there are three ways we’re going to guard side pick and rolls, for example: we’re going to down it, hard show, or red it (trap). If you do it from day one, guys get better at it because they’re working on it every day in practice. I want to establish those things day-to-day, and if you do that, it takes a lot of the thinking away and gets back to reacting.

Interestingly, it seemed to me like Byron's Cav's started his last season season hard showing on every pick and roll before switching to (poorly executed) down/ice/blue on every pick and roll later in the season. I guess he learned his lesson.
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:

I got that sense too; hope its a non-issue.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Quote:
Scott: Defensive philosophy has to be constant. This is no knock on Mike at all, but there were games where they were playing defense one way, and other games where they played it differently. When I go into the season, there are three ways we’re going to guard side pick and rolls, for example: we’re going to down it, hard show, or red it (trap). If you do it from day one, guys get better at it because they’re working on it every day in practice. I want to establish those things day-to-day, and if you do that, it takes a lot of the thinking away and gets back to reacting.

Interestingly, it seemed to me like Byron's Cav's started his last season season hard showing on every pick and roll before switching to (poorly executed) down/ice/blue on every pick and roll later in the season. I guess he learned his lesson.

Imagine that. Someone learning from their past mistakes.

(that wasn't directed at you fiendishoc personally)

People around here seem to think that players and coaches can't improve over time like they never learn from their mistakes or adapt to different situations. Who they were 5 years ago are exactly what they're going to be this year.

If you're Jim Buss, things you say 20+ years ago (which were horribly taken out of context) are still held against you to this day and are still your beliefs lol.

Regarding Julius Randle.. seems to me he'd be best served coming off the bench until he can get his conditioning under control. That would actually be preferable since I don't want him being thrown to the wolves so-to-speak against the starters. In summer league, he didn't set the world on fire.. but he couldn't really be guarded one-on-one. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that bench players are going to resemble the type of players Randle faced in the summer league than NBA starters.

Let him gain his confidence, get his conditioning under control (if it's really an issue) and then unleash the beast lol

Last edited by ch3cky0selff00 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
cgambino123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Yea, looks like Lin's starting. As for the 3, I really hope Wes can step it up because the dude still has some potential it's whether or not he can actually capitalize on it.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

It doesn't seem an issue to me. I think a lot of rookies underestimate the drain a real nba game and season put on you. Byron having been through it knows what it takes so he is more able to adequately see what Randle has to do to start out strong out of the gate.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

I didn't think it meant he was out of shape. I think it just meant that he wasn't in NBA shape. And for rookies, it's pretty shocking what the difference between being "in shape" and being "in NBA shape" is.
tirebiter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject:

"Or I could also put Kobe at that spot and put Steve next to Jeremy in the backcourt. There’s some flexibility there."

offensively, this would be an awesome lineup.

kobe obviously is a great SG. One myth about lin is that he is only effective if he can dominate the ball. he did dominate the ball during linsanity, but people forget that he was a SG in college that played well off the ball.

i believe he would thrive next to a pure Pg like Nash, that knows where and when to get him the ball.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Lin is a 40% catch and shoot 3 guy, and is murder off the dribble on a hard close out.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject:

It's not often a coach interview has actual substance as opposed to the typical clichéd responses. I liked how he talked specifics about his game planning. He's a highly intelligent coach who has a plan.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Mike Trudell will be the play by play commentator one day
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject:

Talk is cheap, let's see what B Scott is worth when the season starts.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject:

Cup-of-noodles wrote:

Talk is informative and that is all it is right now. No need to get pissy at an informative interview.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject:

Bee has been a fine interview subject for a long time: he says the right stuff in the mold of Pat Riley: stiff and brave and full of "tough play" and hard work pronouncements. But that dialogue tends to ring hollow over time without the credibility of his mentor's on-court coaching results.

Byron Scott as an NBA head coach -

Seasons as HC: 13
Career W-L%: .444
Season W-L% over .500: 5

http://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/scottby01c.html

I am hoping against hope that Byron Scott can produce actual acceptable results for this club. He's got an unenviable roster to start with, which historically hasn't played into his strengths.

Fingers crossed.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Cup-of-noodles wrote:

Talk is informative and that is all it is right now. No need to get pissy at an informative interview.

I don't drink that Kool-aid. We have cause. If you ask fans to hold ourselves as accountable as we hold the Laker club, let's open that box - please.

I'm plenty tired of the four seasons of watching the Lakers fall deeper into the crapper: stumbling, rather than accumulating talent for a rebuild. I understand going with attempts for championships during legitimate rebuilds. But my friend, our club's situ is legitimate cause for serious fan concern. This "rebuild" is trending towards to the worst ever around here, certainly equal to the slowest rebuild in Laker history, stretching back to including Mikan's period.

Let's put a historical perspective - right now - on where this club is today.

In the fifth season after:

... Mikan's final NBA title, the '59 Lakers already had obtained Elgin Baylor and return to the NBA Finals.

... Jerry West's last and only NBA title, the '77 Lakers had obtained Kareem Abdul-Jabbar already, and returned to the Western Conference Finals.

... Kareem Abdul Jabbar's final title, the '93 Lakers are the example which comes closest to matching the current roster problems, but there are problems here. The big differences (though) were the two intervening trips to the Finals made in '89 and '91, evidence that a full rebuild was not needed and the club was propelled by having enough sustaining talent to content with the best with only re-tooling. We haven't enjoyed that level of contention lately, not even close.

... Shaq's final Laker title, the Laker had still enough juice to reach the Finals another time, in that the franchise possessed the best player in the league, in his prime. It would take one more season only to obtain Pau and reach the Finals again. I don't smell smoke from that type of fire in our front office.

I find it now nearly intolerable to remain quiet and still cope with the prospects for an additional five year wait for eventual championship contention. That is what I see ahead. Cntention for championships is the standard which this club established in the 60's and which sustained my enthusiasm for the club during the West/Baylor years.

Let's own up: the Laker rebuild is wobbling badly, and it's not a piss-and-moan to mention it every single time someone says the we need to be patient. We've been patient.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject:

I don't get it. You are upset at them for swinging at the fences apparently, but then charging them with not yet hitting a home run. They bottomed out, and are now building assets.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject:

I think you misread me seriously. I'm not upset for their having theoretically been "swinging for the fences" or for some vague sense of "going all in" for some more late career runs at titles. When you go all in you have to be successful to be perceived as successful.

It's the quality of the at-bats and the results than count, that's all.

When one gambles big, one better get good at bats. One can expect disparagement when it doesn't pay off. What's hard to understand about that ? We as fans expect the Laker management to make smarter moves than they did.

Swinging for the fences can work, but swinging with one's eyes closed never works. The blindly feeble moves for Nash and Mike Brown were horribly thought-out, I called it even on day one. Those draft picks (two first round and two second round) that the Laker FO send to Phoenix ? That's sucking the addition of the club's future life's blood right out of this franchise for three seasons.

The trade for Howard was a decent risk - worth taking - and its failure to produce will still haunt us for five more years. The fall-out of that failure is still coming at us hard. The best free agents aren't coming here, let along the second tier ones. That 2017 Laker 1st round draft pick we sent to the Magic ? It's like a future self-sawed-off thumb we'll lose, the pain is yet to come, its own effect compounded by the ill-advised loss of draft positions that came with Nash.

No, there's no series of moves having been made that makes sense here. There's no current building of assets on net, not yet. Sadly,it will take a long time to get accumulate much at this rate.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject:

I find more fault in the past Lakers coaching moves (both hirings and firings) in the recent past than the personnel decisions, which, like mentioned were home run swings that didn't pan out. Now Byron wasn't my first preference for coach, but at least it was Kobe's first choice, which is more than we could say for the past two times around. (Kobe being someone who knows a hell of a lot more about basketball than the ownership).

Bryon's career winning percentage isn't something you can compare apple to apples with others as he's stepped into far worse situations than this on all three of his previous jobs and was 2 out of 3 in turning them around (of course with a little luck on the talent front).

I'm glad that he gave this interview, so we can start to see some specific things that are in his thought process for this team. No need to turn this discussion into another front office rant.

Last edited by fiendishoc on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
I find more fault in the past Lakers coaching moves (both hirings and firings) in the recent past than the personnel decisions, which, like mentioned were home run swings that didn't pan out. Now Byron wasn't my first preference for coach, but at least it was Kobe's first choice, which is more than we could say for the past two times around.

Bryon's career winning percentage isn't something you can compare apple to apples with others as he's stepped into far worse situations than this on all three of his previous jobs and was 2 out of 3 in turning them around (of course with a little luck on the talent front).

I'm glad that he gave this interview, so we can start to see some specific things that are in his thought process for this team. No need to turn this discussion into another front office rant.

The truth
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject:

I like how Scott is considering Kobe at the SF spot. I think at this point Kobe should be there... Frankly if I was doing the lineups... either Kobe or Randle starts at SF depending on the matchup... the meatier SF's.... who hybrid to PF... go with Randle. The leaner SFs.... Go with Kobe.

It looks like he isn't considering Randle for the 3 but at least he's looking at Kobe there.

If I'm coaching my starting would be:
PG Nash
SG Lin
SF Kobe
PF Boozer
CE Hill

With a quick hook to Nash... subbing Swaggy P in for him... shifting Lin over.
and Randle can sub in for Boozer or Kobe in that set up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject:

You have given many examples but missed the whole Chris Paul fiasco.

Without "basketball reasons" we would still have Chris Paul(unless he bailed this offseason), instead the Lakers will have to deal from the fallout from that for a long time.

You really think the Lakers(anyone) would expect that to happen?

The Nash was a gamble to have a health older former MVP, one of the great pick and rollers, pair with the best pnr big in the league, Dwight Howard, to pair with Kobe and Pau Gasol, to fight for a title.

They shouldn't have traded so many draft picks though...

There is building of assets, and we've spent only cash getting them.

Lakers signed young players: Johnson, Xavier, Davis, Kelly, Young. (Sacre)

Lakers drafted young players: Randle and Clarkson(Who we spent money to improve our draft pick to get).

Lakers got Jeremy Lin(1 year) and a draft pick for cap space.

Lakers bid for Boozer off amnesty for 3 mil.

Lakers signed Hill for a two year team option. Good talent for a very trade- able contract.

Everyone on the team besides Kobe, Nash and Lin, has been signed for a great value. Everyone would have preferred Kobe signing for less, but that was a decision between men. Nash and Lin will expire year, where we can hopefully sign Lin for less/long term, especially if he plays well and learns a little something from Nash.

Many teams overpay for good players, signing contracts for the sake of it doesn't help.

What would you have done differently this off-season?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: