Coach Scott says he and Kobe will agree on one number (of minutes) and not deviate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject:

The most important "skill" is finishing the shot. I'd trade textbook footwork and balance for better shooting touch and quality shots. Basically, I don't care how pretty it looks if the ball doesn't go in the hole.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
I don't think Kobe is necessarily looking at pierce last year, but around the finals years...

How does that make any sense? First, Pierce's game to begin with, wasn't predictated on athleticism. Second, during the 2008-10 era, Pierce was 30-32, and still in the end of his prime. So Kobe is going to model or adapt his game to fit Pierce's end of prime level basketball?

I think you're looking a bit too much into the quote. I think it's pretty self-explanatory. I know Kobe respects Pierce, and will look to lessons learned from Pierce as he aged (32 y.o. and beyond) where his overall minutes were reduced and his field goal attempts decreased. Pierce plays a lot more methodical now with his decreased athleticism.

I don't think we're actually in any disagreement. Pierce started his more methodical play during the finals years, and I think no matter what age Kobe means, he's talking about admiring pierce's efficiency. I would expect that Kobe expects to be more 32 pierce than 36 though...
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
The most important "skill" is finishing the shot. I'd trade textbook footwork and balance for better shooting touch and quality shots. Basically, I don't care how pretty it looks if the ball doesn't go in the hole.

Doesn't footwork and balance lead to better shooting touch and more quality shots?

!...
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject:

I dont' think minutes should be set in stone. Depends on game situations, who you are playing, the score, foul situation, what kind of groove Kobe is in, is the game part of a back to back?

But to play along....

First 9 of the 1st period.... Last 6 of the 2nd period....

Then first 9 of the 3rd period....And finish up the last 9 of the 4th...

For....33 minutes per game...
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
Let's hope for sacrificing 20-25% off his scoring average for increased efficiency. Play smarter, not harder. 15 shots a game max, with higher quality looks generating FG% in the high 40s, perhaps even 50%.

What you gain in "Efficiency" you lose in pressure on every player on the opposite on D. Throughout his career, Kobe has put intense pressure on opposing D's by taking his approach to the game. No one ever talks about that. Your suggestion would take that away. You don't win that way. And it's not in Kobe's psyche. It's not going to happen.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:
Let's hope for sacrificing 20-25% off his scoring average for increased efficiency. Play smarter, not harder. 15 shots a game max, with higher quality looks generating FG% in the high 40s, perhaps even 50%.

What you gain in "Efficiency" you lose in pressure on every player on the opposite on D. Throughout his career, Kobe has put intense pressure on opposing D's by taking his approach to the game. No one ever talks about that. Your suggestion would take that away. You don't win that way. And it's not in Kobe's psyche. It's not going to happen.

I'm not in support of a hard and fast rule re: shot attempts, exact minutes per game, etc. That's a micro issue. But from a macro standpoint, it sounds like Kobe and Scott are on the same page. Kobe won't be forced to play 38mpg, have a 30+ % usage rate, etc. I think that's why they now have a large stable of wing players to ease the load.
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
48 MINUTES A GAME!

Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:

I'm not in support of a hard and fast rule re: shot attempts, exact minutes per game, etc. That's a micro issue. But from a macro standpoint, it sounds like Kobe and Scott are on the same page. Kobe won't be forced to play 38mpg, have a 30+ % usage rate, etc. I think that's why they now have a large stable of wing players to ease the load.

Well said. His minutes shouldn't have some hard cap. They should set a goal and let the circumstances dictate how much or how little they deviate from that.
j-wolf
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject:

Limiting minutes for the veteran players in the regular season is an awesome idea. All teams should learn from Spurs and Pop.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject:

j-wolf wrote:
Limiting minutes for the veteran players in the regular season is an awesome idea. All teams should learn from Spurs and Pop.

Absolutely. Nick Young's drop off vs 36 year old Kobe at minute 34 is going to be minimal if any...

You gotta treat Kobe like a closer at this point in his career. You need him there for the final 8 minutes. So if he only gets 22 before then. So be it.

Nash... same deal, but you likely need him for the final 4 minutes... put him in about 12-14 total before then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
j-wolf wrote:

Absolutely. Nick Young's drop off vs 36 year old Kobe at minute 34 is going to be minimal if any...

You gotta treat Kobe like a closer at this point in his career. You need him there for the final 8 minutes. So if he only gets 22 before then. So be it.

Nash... same deal, but you likely need him for the final 4 minutes... put him in about 12-14 total before then.

This. It's about closing more so than the previous minutes before. If that means less minutes, points per game, etc., who cares.
j-wolf
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
j-wolf wrote:

Spurs uses bench players to finish games more often than other teams. That's part of the reasons why almost all of their players are a threat in clutch times. They are developing and conserving at the same time.
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject:

This is dumb. Kobe is not that old. If he's healthy, let the game situation dictate his minutes
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Team 15mins represent!

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject:

j-wolf wrote:

If I wanted to watch boring basketball, I'd be a Spurs fan. That's not how we roll in LA and not how Kobe rolls. You could take every exciting minute in TD's career and it wouldn't equal 4 of Kobe's consecutive games and that's being extremely generous to TD. When the name on the back is Kobe, then I want to see him play every minute he has in him.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject:

j-wolf wrote:

If I wanted to watch boring basketball, I'd be a Spurs fan. That's not how we roll in LA and not how Kobe rolls. You could take every exciting minute in TD's career and it wouldn't equal 4 of Kobe's consecutive games and that's being extremely generous to TD. When the name on the back is Kobe, then I want to see him play every minute he has in him.

Winning is boring...

2 more seasons and these "Lakers' fans" are gone forever.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
j-wolf wrote:

Winning is boring...

"Kontrol freak" fans are the worse aren't they?

!...
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
j-wolf wrote:

Winning is boring...

Right?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Think we will definitely start out this way. Can easily see Kobe be at 32 mpg most of the November - December months. But once it comes about not being too far away from the playoffs, not wanting to have another lottery season. I can't see Byron or Kobe back down.

The thing with Pop or Phil, they have job security and proven track records as winners. In Pops case he had a great team to rely on and still win. The Lakers have no shot at being respectable without some serious Kobe all star play.

So I'm not sure this will last all season nor would Kobe allow it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
j-wolf wrote:

Winning is boring...

I suppose it is. In my life as a fan of athletics, I have been a fan of the spectacular, the legend who also wins. I've never been one to enjoy just winning. So, yeah, winning isn't enough, it's how you do it that counts as much for me.

Maybe I'm a Laker fan and maybe I'm not by your definition. I started watching the team in Magic's rookie season and lost interest to a large degree during the dog years between 1991-1996. But that coincided with my training where I was spending 100 hour weeks working. So, in the time I have been a Laker fan, I watched showtime Lakers followed by Shaq/Kobe Lakers followed by Kobe-in-God-on-a-basketball-court mode followed by the three consecutive finals appearances. I was able to to enjoy every game until Kobe went down.

I know I'll never be a fan of another team, but I certainly didn't feel any reason to spend time watching that abysmal season last year.

So, laugh all you want because of your true fandom. I'm good where I am.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject:

Kobe2Clark wrote:
This is dumb. Kobe is not that old. If he's healthy, let the game situation dictate his minutes

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject:

Gwyn wrote:

Team 15mins represent!

15 may be too much. Just save him for the last quarter every game.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Kobe's like a well-aged fabulous tasting bottle of wine that's 3/4 empty. Would love to have it every night but have come to realize I should be saving it for the special occasions when it will be appreciated the most.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject:

TNLakersFanInLA wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
48 MINUTES A GAME!

For 3 games before he hits the IR again....

30 minutes, as far as I'm concerned, but Kobe will probably agree with you....
ricardoJPC
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject:

I really hope he gets 30-32 min in the regular and 34 coming playoff time. And, of course, the most important thing is that he plays 70+ games (NO BACK-TO-BACKS please)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: