Coach Scott says he and Kobe will agree on one number (of minutes) and not deviate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
Seems critical to watch kobe's mins at the beginning of the season and allow his body to adapt to competitive ball. I'm thinking 20 minutes in the preseason is a good start. Then gradually increase his minutes to 35 a game as the season goes along.

Its more important to dictate the style of game Kobe will play then put a cap on minutes. He should be guarding the weakest opposing player as well. If we play a slow tempo post up game with Kobe there is no reason he can't play 35 a game once his body is fully adapted to competitive ball. Sitting him out on back to back games is a good strategy as well if we are in a playoff position and have a few games lead over the next team.

And if we start Nash Kobe will have to guard someone who is not the worst player. 35 mpg is way excessive and unnecessary. We have a lot of combo guards that can soak up 5 mpg so Kobe doesn't have to burn himself out.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject:

Well, right out of the gate Coach Scott disappoints us with an unimaginatively cloddish pronouncement. What an implausibly dumb theory.

Yeah, let's not evaluate Kobe and be prepared to see what works best for him. Naaah, let's stick to MY PLAN. Let's not adjust minutes up or down based upon what is seen in terms of fatigue, games on consecutive days, colds, off nights, minor injuries and the like. Forget that crap. Coach already has an idea what Kobe can do, and we're not gonna stray from that. There's experience talking for you - not.
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject:

30 minutes per game is ideal. We've got Nick Young and Xavier who are young and will want minutes. When Kobe is on the bench, that's when they can thrive, especially Nick. He can be the focal point of the offense.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject:

28 mins. Let's see efficient Mamba beginning this season!
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject:

whatever the number is isn't as important to me as the approach byron scott is taking which is just outstanding. it's going to be a range anyways. come to an agreement with kobe and stick to it. on nights where they are getting blown out or blowing someone out it's far less. nights where they go to OT it's more. back to backs less. the fact that scott is already thinking about and has a plan is enough.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Kobe has played more combined regular season & playoff minutes than all but four players in the history of the NBA.

54,208 combined minutes behind averages of 36.6 regular season and 39.3 playoff minutes per game.

That being said, anywhere between 25-30 minutes per game would be fine.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject:

I can't see Kobe agreeing to 30 minutes or less. He will want to be on the floor more than that.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Coach Scott says he and Kobe will agree on one number (of minutes) and not deviate

Chronicle wrote:
Byron Scott wrote:
I got a number in mind that he can play and be very effective and play throughout the season, you know, and the good thing about this number is it keeps him fresh for that last month of the season where we go make that run, you know. And I'm sure he has a number in mind, that might be a little different than mine, and we're going to have to sit down and obviously come to an agreement. And once we do I'll say: "Kobe, alright, this is the number it's going to be, I'm not going to deviate from that number." Because for me, I got to make sure I look out for him.

http://www.twcsportsnet.com/videos/2014/08/20/byron-scott-one-on-one-interview-teaser

Yeah, let's see how that works out for you By.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject:

LHQ wrote:
He'll play 35. I don't see Kobe accepting any less.

He actually should do 30, specially at first. But Kobe won't go for that.

This
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
LHQ wrote:
He'll play 35. I don't see Kobe accepting any less.

He actually should do 30, specially at first. But Kobe won't go for that.

This

I think the reason they brought in Byron is so that it's no longer Kobe's decision. MDa and brown couldn't say no to Kobe; Scott shouldn't have that problem. And it's for Kobe's own good n
mackytotskee
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Start at 24 minutes then gradually up it to 28 mins if Kobe thinks he is resting too much.

Last edited by mackytotskee on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Well, right out of the gate Coach Scott disappoints us with an unimaginatively cloddish pronouncement. What an implausibly dumb theory.

Yeah, let's not evaluate Kobe and be prepared to see what works best for him. Naaah, let's stick to MY PLAN. Let's not adjust minutes up or down based upon what is seen in terms of fatigue, games on consecutive days, colds, off nights, minor injuries and the like. Forget that crap. Coach already has an idea what Kobe can do, and we're not gonna stray from that. There's experience talking for you - not.

Byron Scott interview wrote:
and we're going to have to sit down and obviously come to an agreement. And once we do I'll say: "Kobe, alright, this is the number it's going to be, I'm not going to deviate from that number." Because for me, I got to make sure I look out for him.

What part of "we're going to work out a number together" did you not grasp? I, for one, am not disappointed.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject:

mackytotskee wrote:
Start at 24 minutes then gradually up it to 28 mins if Kobe thinks he is resting too much.

Kobe rests to much
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Well, the idiotic part of his announced plan is clear to me. It's twofold.

First, he's thinking there's one number that - and one that he's already formed in his head - that can be agreed-to between them before the season. Not damned likely.

Second, this edict he claims that it will be enforced. What a farce it will be to enforce it, even during periods under future circumstance proving it a nonsensical or impractical recommendation. It's the mark of weak minds to think that once can - or even should attempt to - control the future to that extent.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject:

It's easy to say it now but in a close winnable game, is Kobe going to want to come out? Better yet, is Byron going to even want to take him out?

Kobe's lowest minutes output was in 2011 when he played 34 a game. They also had close to 60 wins that year and had the luxury of resting him for 4th quarters because they didn't need him. People are acting like Phil kept his minutes to a minimum but he really didnt.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:

It isn't experience talking, it isn't even Scott talking. He didn't say any of what you posted.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
It's easy to say it now but in a close winnable game, is Kobe going to want to come out? Better yet, is Byron going to even want to take him out?

Kobe's lowest minutes output was in 2011 when he played 34 a game. They also had close to 60 wins that year and had the luxury of resting him for 4th quarters because they didn't need him. People are acting like Phil kept his minutes to a minimum but he really didnt.

Good points. I think there will be games where Kobe doesn't approach their number and games where he exceeds it.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject:

It's not like minutes restrictions of these kind are usually absolute (unless its specifically injury management). It's a round number for a period, it's not as though Pop goes, ooo, 30 minutes are up, time to come off. He's not going to pull him out of a close game, but he probably will throw the towel in on games far earlier than previously.

As for Kobe's mentality, well he did write an article about his own basketball mortality, it might have changed a little from the past...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
It's not like minutes restrictions of these kind are usually absolute (unless its specifically injury management). It's a round number for a period, it's not as though Pop goes, ooo, 30 minutes are up, time to come off. He's not going to pull him out of a close game, but he probably will throw the towel in on games far earlier than previously.

As for Kobe's mentality, well he did write an article about his own basketball mortality, it might have changed a little from the past...

Agree with this.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject:

7-8 minutes a Q so he'll be 28-32 minutes per game which avg out to about 30 mpg.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Good.
So far, I am liking what I hear from Scott.
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject:

I hope Scott lowballs Kobe at first with 24-28 minutes. That way when Kobe counters with 34 or so, they can meet around 30. Scott might have to use trickery on Kobe to save him from himself.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject:

I think it will be beneficial to have an early agreement between Byron and Kobe regarding what amount of minutes would lead to the most success. A healthy Kobe for the entire season would be great. Byron should be flexible with it but may need to point back to the agreement as he sees fit to manage minutes.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject:

42 min a game. 34/5/5 season. MVP. All-star MVP. Finals MVP. GOAT.
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject:

I'm glad he's having this conversation with Kobe now, rather than later. 30-32 minutes a night should be fine. Hopefully that number will be less on back to backs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: