Coach Scott says he and Kobe will agree on one number (of minutes) and not deviate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pgforlife
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Well, right out of the gate Coach Scott disappoints us with an unimaginatively cloddish pronouncement. What an implausibly dumb theory.

Yeah, let's not evaluate Kobe and be prepared to see what works best for him. Naaah, let's stick to MY PLAN. Let's not adjust minutes up or down based upon what is seen in terms of fatigue, games on consecutive days, colds, off nights, minor injuries and the like. Forget that crap. Coach already has an idea what Kobe can do, and we're not gonna stray from that. There's experience talking for you - not.

But that's not what he's saying. You're taking him too literally. If it's a close and important game or if he's feeling it, I have no doubt that Byron's play him as would any other coach anywhere. What he's saying is that Kobe may want to play 38 mins a game or more, which would ultimately wear him down so to make sure that they are on the right page, they will agree upon a defined time for him. I see nothing wrong with that whatsoever, as long as he can maintain flexibility depending on the situation.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
30 is enough

Nah, 15, we want to be sure he won't be injured.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject:

LHQ wrote:
He'll play 35. I don't see Kobe accepting any less.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject:

45 plus OT

Just to squeek into the playoffs
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject:

I don't think Scott's gonna lock himself into an untenable agreement with Kobe regarding a ceiling of playing time. I take from his interview that he's gonna assert that Kobe's early minutes are gonna be limited compared to the rest of his career avergae, to some extent. That's all.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
It's easy to say it now but in a close winnable game, is Kobe going to want to come out? Better yet, is Byron going to even want to take him out?

Kobe's lowest minutes output was in 2011 when he played 34 a game. They also had close to 60 wins that year and had the luxury of resting him for 4th quarters because they didn't need him. People are acting like Phil kept his minutes to a minimum but he really didnt.

That was the year before the knee procedures in Germany began, and Kobe's knee was so bad he often didn't practice. His minutes were like that because that's all he could handle and stay on the court.
DALAKERSRULE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject:

Scott should limit the number of shots that Kobe takes as well.
maybe no more than 15 per game.....
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject:

DALAKERSRULE wrote:
Scott should limit the number of shots that Kobe takes as well.
maybe no more than 15 per game.....

Did you say game or quarter?
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Kobe will play however many minutes HE thinks he'll be able to play. Judging from the current roster, It's going to be greater than 30 min per.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Telleris wrote:
It's not like minutes restrictions of these kind are usually absolute (unless its specifically injury management). It's a round number for a period, it's not as though Pop goes, ooo, 30 minutes are up, time to come off. He's not going to pull him out of a close game, but he probably will throw the towel in on games far earlier than previously.

As for Kobe's mentality, well he did write an article about his own basketball mortality, it might have changed a little from the past...

Agree with this.

I don't see it happening. Kobe absolutely will not go out like Wizards MJ. He'll walk away first. If he isn't elite, he'll quite. He loves the game, but he loves the game as Kobe, as the most elite skilled scorer of all time. He doesn't love, IMO, mind you, the game as a good but not elite player. He's not TD or KG. Or even MJ. He's a different beast.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Telleris wrote:
It's not like minutes restrictions of these kind are usually absolute (unless its specifically injury management). It's a round number for a period, it's not as though Pop goes, ooo, 30 minutes are up, time to come off. He's not going to pull him out of a close game, but he probably will throw the towel in on games far earlier than previously.

As for Kobe's mentality, well he did write an article about his own basketball mortality, it might have changed a little from the past...

Agree with this.

I don't see it happening. Kobe absolutely will not go out like Wizards MJ. He'll walk away first. If he isn't elite, he'll quit. He loves the game, but he loves the game as Kobe, as the most elite skilled scorer of all time. He doesn't love, IMO, mind you, the game as a good but not elite player. He's not TD or KG. Or even MJ. He's a different beast.

Kobe has been saying this for a while. I don't think he'll hang on if he can't be a legit alpha and back it up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Telleris wrote:

Agree with this.

I don't see it happening. Kobe absolutely will not go out like Wizards MJ. He'll walk away first. If he isn't elite, he'll quit. He loves the game, but he loves the game as Kobe, as the most elite skilled scorer of all time. He doesn't love, IMO, mind you, the game as a good but not elite player. He's not TD or KG. Or even MJ. He's a different beast.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Telleris wrote:

Agree with this.

I don't see it happening. Kobe absolutely will not go out like Wizards MJ. He'll walk away first. If he isn't elite, he'll quite. He loves the game, but he loves the game as Kobe, as the most elite skilled scorer of all time. He doesn't love, IMO, mind you, the game as a good but not elite player. He's not TD or KG. Or even MJ. He's a different beast.

Haha, this is what a lot of people say because it gives them a way to say Kobe is different than everyone else.

But low 20s PPG is what Kobe is likely going to be averaging. He's not going to give up $24M out of pride. Not sure if that makes him TD/KG/MJ but low 20s PPG is not elite either.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Telleris wrote:

Agree with this.

Kobe has been saying this for a while. I don't think he'll hang on if he can't be a legit alpha and back it up

That's his strength and weakness encapsulated right there. His supporters and detractors alike use this same line of thought.
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject:

It was fairly plain to me that Scott was talking about an average. There would be games Kobe might need to play more or even less. And you know, this is exactly how to approach something with Kobe. Let Kobe have a say and get him on board.

I for one am liking what I'm hearing from Scott. He is showing us that he has a plan based on the personnel he has. He's not trying to fit people into his system, he is catering the system to the personnel.
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject:

28-32 Mpg

no back to backs
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Telleris wrote:

Agree with this.

That's his strength and weakness encapsulated right there. His supporters and detractors alike use this same line of thought.

Except I don't buy it. If Kobe comes out and spends the first 3-4 months of the season averaging in the low 20s, he's not going to give up all that money and retire.

He's going to play through these next 2 years no matter what. Kobe says a lot of things which sound bad ass.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject:

why is it that Lakers front office couldn't hire reasonable people who say reasonable things in the past?

Basically everything Dantoni said in the media was inscrutable nonsense with no logic whatsoever.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Telleris wrote:

Agree with this.

Except I don't buy it. If Kobe comes out and spends the first 3-4 months of the season averaging in the low 20s, he's not going to give up all that money and retire.

He's going to play through these next 2 years no matter what. Kobe says a lot of things which sound bad ass.

The low 20s scoring are still elite so I don't know what you are talking about. It's maybe not superstar numbers but it's still elite and still something Kobe can be proud of. When people think of Kobe quitting it's usually him averaging scoring in the teens.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
It's easy to say it now but in a close winnable game, is Kobe going to want to come out? Better yet, is Byron going to even want to take him out?

Kobe's lowest minutes output was in 2011 when he played 34 a game. They also had close to 60 wins that year and had the luxury of resting him for 4th quarters because they didn't need him. People are acting like Phil kept his minutes to a minimum but he really didnt.

That was the year before the knee procedures in Germany began, and Kobe's knee was so bad he often didn't practice. His minutes were like that because that's all he could handle and stay on the court.

True, and I think that was greatly helped by their ability to win games without him playing heavy minutes. Whether it was being able to rest the whole 4th quarter in blowouts or just playing shorter stints when they didnt need him. I don't picture this current team having that kind of luxury so I wonder if Scott will really be able to leave Kobe out of a winnable game.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Telleris wrote:

Agree with this.

The low 20s scoring are still elite so I don't know what you are talking about. It's maybe not superstar numbers but it's still elite and still something Kobe can be proud of. When people think of Kobe quitting it's usually him averaging scoring in the teens.

Plus if it's an efficient 20 in 30 mins I would still consider it elite
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Telleris wrote:

Agree with this.

Kobe's career averages per 30 minutes are a little under 21 ppg, 4 Rebs, and 4 assists. If his age and injuries cause him to fall off that pace at all, he's in that dreaded high teens range that he said he'd retire to avoid. Something has to give somewhere. To average the kind of numbers he wants, he will probably have to play the same minutes D'Antoni was giving him.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Telleris wrote:

Agree with this.

Well, then we just have different definitions of elite. Elite to me has to be in the hunt for the scoring title. Scoring in the low 20s gives you no chance at the scoring title.

Do you consider Isiah Thomas, Goran Dragic, Rudy Gay, Demar Derozan 'elite' scorers? They're certainly good scorers, but elite is not a word I'd use to describe them.

You're not trying to downgrade the definition of elite to squeeze him in there are you?

If Kobe can score 20 PPG, I wouldn't consider that elite at all, but I would certainly say it is something Kobe can be proud of. It would be one of the best seasons ever for an achilles tear victim.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Telleris wrote:

Agree with this.

Well, then we just have different definitions of elite. Elite to me has to be in the hunt for the scoring title. Scoring in the low 20s gives you no chance at the scoring title.

Do you consider Isiah Thomas, Goran Dragic, Rudy Gay, Demar Derozan 'elite' scorers? They're certainly good scorers, but elite is not a word I'd use to describe them.

You're not trying to downgrade the definition of elite to squeeze him in there are you?

If Kobe can score 20 PPG, I wouldn't consider that elite at all, but I would certainly say it is something Kobe can be proud of. It would be one of the best seasons ever for an achilles tear victim.

Yes scoring in the low 20s and efficiently is elite to me. It's a subjective opinion at the very least but anyway, you can definitely put some of those guys in the elite category scoring wise depending on how efficient they are but anyway it's usually their other deficiencies take away from them being elite all around players. Elite is below superstar players, and players that can go for scoring titles are superstars.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject:

So when the poster above said "the most elite skilled scorer" did you take that to mean the most sub-superstar scorer?

I took it to mean scoring, at a superstar level.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: