So, I'm trying to juxtapose this.......
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: So, I'm trying to juxtapose this.......

These clowns saying that MJ was mentally tougher than Kobe....

I mean, you could argue that MJ was a better athlete and had bigger hands, and you could argue that Kobe had better handles, footwork, shooting ability and ability to make tough shots, but to argue that somehow Kobe was less mentally tough than Kobe is just stupid, stupid and stupid even moreso......stupid
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject:

So, how do people quantify "mental toughness?" How can you prove one player is more "tough" than another? I don't think this worth losing any sleep over. Both are tough as nails in my book.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
So, how do people quantify "mental toughness?" How can you prove one player is more "tough" than another? I don't think this worth losing any sleep over. Both are tough as nails in my book.

Kobe/MJ-Mentally tough
LBJ-Not mentally tough
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Kobe/MJ-Mentally tough
LBJ-Not mentally tough

Sure, you can grade categories of players, i.e. Kobe v. Michael Beasley. But when you get to MJ v. Kobe, how do you separate the two, and why is it that important?
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Kobe/MJ-Mentally tough
LBJ-Not mentally tough

Sure, you can grade categories of players, i.e. Kobe v. Michael Beasley. But when you get to MJ v. Kobe, how do you separate the two, and why is it that important?

I can't answer the first question. I think I can answer the second. I don't think we have enough evidence to prove that Kobe/MJ had any appreciable difference in mental toughness/will between. Those two, along with Ali, were the three most willful, mentally tough athletes I have ever seen in my lifetime. Tiger was there until he was broken by the scandal and his refusal to accept his blackness. I imagine that Jackie Robinson would have been there as well.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject:

Kobe is the most mentally tough of any people I have ever seen/known.

Try shooting free throws without an achilles.

Try shooting in general with every finger in your hand broken.

Try even jumping with nerve issues in your legs.

Try even standing up while you have a concussion.

You won't be able to do any of those. But Kobe did.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

I think Kobe is mentally tougher and more willful than MJ, but I don't think I have the proof to back it up.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

I think Kobe is mentally tougher and more willful than MJ, but I don't think I have the proof to back it up.

I'm sure MJ supporters can list all things that "prove" their point too. But it's pointless. Kobe/MJ are in that rarified air IMO for NBA players in terms of mental toughness.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

I'm sure MJ supporters can list all things that "prove" their point too. But it's pointless. Kobe/MJ are in that rarified air IMO for NBA players in terms of mental toughness.

Actually, as I think about the evidence, I'm going to backtrack. Kobe is mentally and physically tougher than MJ was. When you take into account the injuries, how he played so well on so many injuries, how many incredibly tough shots he made and his taking the ball away from D12 in game 4 and then making those two FT's on the torn achilles, it's easy for me.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Actually, as I think about the evidence, I'm going to backtrack. Kobe is mentally and physically tougher than MJ was. When you take into account the injuries, how he played so well on so many injuries, how many incredibly tough shots he made and his taking the ball away from D12 in game 4 and then making those two FT's on the torn achilles, it's easy for me.

But that's assuming that being able to play with physical injuries is the very definition of mental toughness.

I agree with the argument, if posed, that Kobe has played through some of the toughest injuries and his tolerance for pain is legendary.

As you pointed out, I can't quantify the other "mental toughness." How about playing through a season when your father was brutally murdered? That's got to take a lot of mental toughness (so too was Kobe playing during the Colorado court proceedings, but I digress).
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

This is actually quite easy. A bit wobbly, but doable. More pleasant than running.

And, yes, I did it myself.
And, yes, it was a basketball trauma.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
jenopogi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

two words: "FLU GAME"
JL#7 in Purple and Gold. Shoutout to my Lakers4Life Buddy Ian M.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject:

Gambling addictions for Jordan.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject:

I tried to juxtapose one time but I fell of off the pedestal.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: So, I'm trying to juxtapose this.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jgar3X0A0s

I mean, you could argue that MJ was a better athlete and had bigger hands, and you could argue that Kobe had better handles, footwork, shooting ability and ability to make tough shots, but to argue that somehow Kobe was less mentally tough than Kobe is just stupid, stupid and stupid even moreso......stupid

Yeah, let them talk to me when MJ walks to the free throw line with a ruptured Achilles tendon and sinks two free throws to help his team get in the playoffs, before walking off the court on his own power, before they talk to me about anyone ELSE being mentally tougher than this SOB, Kobe Bryant.

Good grief.

The over-romanticization of all things related to Michael Jordan are beyond ridiculous. Listening to some people, you would honestly think that he never missed a shot and never had a bad playoff game. The only one who apparently realizes that Kobe Bryant belongs on the same level as Michael Jordan, is Michael Jordan.
frenchbullcho
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject:

jenopogi wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

"HUNG OVER"
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: So, I'm trying to juxtapose this.......

LakerJam wrote:

Yeah, let them talk to me when MJ walks to the free throw line with a ruptured Achilles tendon and sinks two free throws to help his team get in the playoffs, before walking off the court on his own power, before they talk to me about anyone ELSE being mentally tougher than this SOB, Kobe Bryant.

Good grief.

The over-romanticization of all things related to Michael Jordan are beyond ridiculous. Listening to some people, you would honestly think that he never missed a shot and never had a bad playoff game. The only one who apparently realizes that Kobe Bryant belongs on the same level as Michael Jordan, is Michael Jordan.

I don't know. I guess we'll never know since MJ never ruptured his achilles.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject:

LBJ-Not mentally tough

How so?

And please try not to use Kobe as your basis for comparison. Compared to Kobe, very few people are "mentally tough."
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: So, I'm trying to juxtapose this.......

I imagine they were blackmailed into saying that by Dan Gilbert, who has videotape of them (and everyone) doing drugs, being with their mistresses, etc.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject:

I think this is just a matter of opinion, it'd certainly be difficult to argue either way with any kind of "fact" because it isn't something you can really quantify.

For my money, MJ & Kobe are the 2 mentally toughest I've seen. Both will play through injury, both will play through sickness, both are super tough physically, and have a will to win typified by their greatness in pressure situations.

Trying to put one above the other is too tough for me to rank.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Watch what he does when he shreds his achilles. That is enough for me no matter what anyone else says
thejet24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Watch what he does when he shreds his achilles. That is enough for me no matter what anyone else says

Watch the previous two plays before that where it looked like he hyper-extended his knee, then turned his ankle, and was still leading his team back in a game the Lakers needed.

Then he tore his achillies and still was trying to figure out a way to stay in the game...
thejet24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:

LBJ-Not mentally tough

How so?

And please try not to use Kobe as your basis for comparison. Compared to Kobe, very few people are "mentally tough."

Getting cramps in an NBA Finals game because there is no A/C is NOT being mentally tough.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject:

thejet24 wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:

LBJ-Not mentally tough

How so?

Getting cramps in an NBA Finals game because there is no A/C is NOT being mentally tough.

This is probably the worst example of him not having mental toughness. I've had bad cramps before and there's nothing you can do to will yourself to go on. The pain is manageable but the muscle simply doesn't work.

LeBron doesn't give off that vibe that winning the game is a life or death thing for him. That's where I think he differs from a lot of the greats. I don't know if its just perception.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject:

frenchbullcho wrote:
jenopogi wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

"HUNG OVER"

Gets it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: