Armed Doctor saves numerous lives

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Armed Doctor saves numerous lives

www.philly.com/philly/opinion/inquirer/20140729_Armed_doctor_saved_lives.html

On Thursday afternoon, Dr. Lee Silverman undoubtedly saved many lives. Using a handgun, the Delaware County psychiatrist stopped what both police and the district attorney described as a certain mass killing at Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital.

The attacker, Richard Plotts, is a convicted felon, which bans him from legally owning a gun. But Pennsylvania's universal background check law did not stop him. Neither did the hospital's signs banning guns.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject:

I think most people would agree that a.) guns are useful in responsible hands and b.) shouldn't be banned. But guns aren't banned, nor are they in any danger of becoming so, and gun owners aren't some beleaguered group in need of positive representation like this...they're subject to the same broad demographic selection as any other toy/weapon. Some people keep them just in case, some people play with them and make them into objects of hobby, others use them for the reason they exist in the first place: bloodshed.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Armed Doctor saves numerous lives

Lakers_2000 wrote:
www.philly.com/philly/opinion/inquirer/20140729_Armed_doctor_saved_lives.html

On Thursday afternoon, Dr. Lee Silverman undoubtedly saved many lives. Using a handgun, the Delaware County psychiatrist stopped what both police and the district attorney described as a certain mass killing at Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital.

The attacker, Richard Plotts, is a convicted felon, which bans him from legally owning a gun. But Pennsylvania's universal background check law did not stop him. Neither did the hospital's signs banning guns.

Theres a lot more accidents and crime with guns vs saving the day.
NickF
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Armed Doctor saves numerous lives

Lakers_2000 wrote:

But Pennsylvania's universal background check law did not stop him.

But it may stop some people, there is no reason not to do background checks.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject:

I really don't see how treating gun ownership like driving a car is that big of a deal. You have to pass a test and get a license to drive a car, why not the same with owning a gun? A real test btw, not the BS multiple choice tests they make you take here, which any idiot can pass.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
I really don't see how treating gun ownership like driving a car is that big of a deal. You have to pass a test and get a license to drive a car, why not the same with owning a gun? A real test btw, not the BS multiple choice tests they make you take here, which any idiot can pass.

Agree. Guns should remain legal but licensing standards should be greatly increased requiring that the owner of a firearm know how to handle, clean, operate and secure their weapon similar to the training and on going qualification tests required of law enforcement. There should also be very harsh penalties for posessing a forearm in violation with the licensing standards.
Responsible freedom.

Since you mentioned driving a car, I think there should be additional classes of operating permits for motor vehicles. If you want to drive fast, have a car that is certified and a driver that receives the proper instruction there is no reason to restrict them to driving 70 MPH at 9 am on a clear, dry morning on the 10 freeway going to Phoenix.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Agree. Guns should remain legal but licensing standards should be greatly increased requiring that the owner of a firearm know how to handle, clean, operate and secure their weapon similar to the training and on going qualification tests required of law enforcement. There should also be very harsh penalties for posessing a forearm in violation with the licensing standards.
Responsible freedom.

Since you mentioned driving a car, I think there should be additional classes of operating permits for motor vehicles. If you want to drive fast, have a car that is certified and a driver that receives the proper instruction there is no reason to restrict them to driving 70 MPH at 9 am on a clear, dry morning on the 10 freeway going to Phoenix.

Especially re: driving to Phoenix. Nobody is ever driving towards Phoenix.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:

This article is over a month old, no coincidence the poster posted this on the day after a 9 year old blasted somebody who wasn't careful with their guns.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject:

Stopped reading after the 2nd paragraph when the author revealed thier blatant political agenda.

Wish I had that click back......
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Stopped reading after the 2nd paragraph when the author revealed thier blatant political agenda.

Wish I had that click back......

I'm so damn slow. It took me all the way to the the third paragraph to see it.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: