Roger Goodell’s letter to NFL owners on domestic violence, McDonald arrest, Ray Rice video released, Rice contract terminated
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Roger Goodell’s letter to NFL owners on domestic violence, McDonald arrest, Ray Rice video released, Rice contract terminated

LINK

The NFL has taken the public response to domestic violence seriously. 6 games first offense, banishment for second. They're also stepping up the DUI and gun violations.

I'm wary of the second
Quote:
Second, our club Player Engagement Directors, Human Resource Executives, and other appropriate team personnel will undergo comprehensive training to help them understand and identify risk factors associated with domestic violence and sexual assault. Any person identified as being at risk will be afforded private, confidential assistance. Persons who decline this assistance will be held accountable for that decision in determining discipline for any subsequent act of domestic violence or sexual assault. This is a complicated matter and must be approached with care. We will work with experts to identify strategies based on the most reliable research, recognizing that violence can and does take different forms but generally involves a pattern of coercive behavior.
How can one be evaluated and be considered a risk? There's room for human error.

Hopefully DUI and gun violations will also decline.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:57 am; edited 3 times in total
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
... note that all this change does is sub in a loose baseline—six games plus or minus "mitigating factors"—for a previously undefined suspension length that could always have been as long as Roger Goodell wanted it to be. The NFL could have chosen to suspend Ray Rice for six games without passing these rules. The NFL could have suspended the next player to beat the (bleep) out of his wife for six games, without needing to refer to any new rules.

Domestic violence offenses still fall under the league's Personal Conduct Policy, with which the NFLPA inexplicably handed the NFL unilateral control over discipline not specifically covered in the CBA. Players will still have the right to appeal their punishments and likely get them reduced. Literally nothing has changed.

http://deadspin.com/so-whats-actually-new-about-the-nfls-new-domestic-viole-1628098179/all
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject:

DEADSPIN? ^^^^^ Have you totally disregarded this from the article?

Quote:
A second offense will result in banishment from the NFL; while an individual may petition for reinstatement after one year, there will be no presumption or assurance that the petition will be granted. These disciplinary standards will apply to all NFL personnel.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Quote:
A second offense will result in banishment from the NFL; while an individual may petition for reinstatement after one year, there will be no presumption or assurance that the petition will be granted. These disciplinary standards will apply to all NFL personnel.

Michael Vick was banished and the league could have at that time also decided to not grant him reinstatement. As the article says, they could have suspended Ray Rice for 6 games before they make yesterday's "big" announcement. They just chose not to.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

Michael Vick was banished and the league could have at that time also decided to not grant him reinstatement. As the article says, they could have suspended Ray Rice for 6 games before they make yesterday's "big" announcement. They just chose not to.

How come Michael Vick is mentioned whenever a suspension is imposed? This is not about dog fighting, it's about domestic violence, Vick misstep is another mention all together. Why not look at what he's done. Why not leave him the (bleep) alone?

Woulda, shoulda, coulda. If the hound hadn't stopped to ish, he woulda caught the rabbit. What he's doing now is what we should be looking at.

Goodell has put himself out front. If another domestic abuse case comes before him I have a feeling he's going to drop the hammer.

vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

How come Michael Vick is mentioned whenever a suspension is imposed? This is not about dog fighting, it's about domestic violence, Vick misstep is another mention all together. Why not look at what he's done. Why not leave him the (bleep) alone?

Woulda, shoulda, coulda. If the hound hadn't stopped to ish, he woulda caught the rabbit. What he's doing now is what we should be looking at.

Goodell has put himself out front. If another domestic abuse case comes before him I have a feeling he's going to drop the hammer.

Sorry, I forgot how sensitive you are with M. Vick. I simply used him as an example (probably the prime example considering it's media coverage/outrage) someone who violated the already in place Player Personal Conduct Policy. That policy already gave the Commish the authority to not reinstate a player and/or to suspend a player for 6 games, upon their first offense.

As mentioned, Goodell already had the authority to do exactly what he's now stating he has the power to do, under the player conduct policy. Only now, he's trying to associate specifically with "domestic violence" even though it's ALWAYS been up to his discretion, including domestic violence.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
jodeke wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

Sorry, I forgot how sensitive you are with M. Vick. I simply used him as an example (probably the prime example considering it's media coverage/outrage) someone who violated the already in place Player Personal Conduct Policy. That policy already gave the Commish the authority to not reinstate a player and/or to suspend a player for 6 games, upon their first offense.

As mentioned, Goodell already had the authority to do exactly what he's now stating he has the power to do, under the player conduct policy. Only now, he's trying to associate specifically with "domestic violence" even though it's ALWAYS been up to his discretion, including domestic violence.

First off you, as do many, have it wrong. I'm not sensitive concerning Michael Vick. I'm not a advocate for him. My stance is for the system, not Mike.

He did a crime, did the time, should be allowed to return to society, given a chance to prove the system works or doesn't. In his case it seems to have worked. I won't say he's been rehabilitated, I don't like that word.

I'll say prison changed his way of thinking and he seems truly contrite. I don't say forgive or forget, I say leave him alone.

Yes Goodell had the chance and he admits to a mistake. Don't piece-read, consider all.
Quote:
I take responsibility both for the decision and for ensuring that our actions in the future properly reflect our values. I didn’t get it right. Simply put, we have to do better. And we will.
Hindsight is 20/20. In Goodells case he admits to a mistake. Why not admit he's human thus susceptible to mistakes?

As I did Vick, I will Goodell, see how he conducts himself in the future.

vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Yes Goodell had the chance and he admits to a mistake. Don't piece-read, consider all.
Quote:
I take responsibility both for the decision and for ensuring that our actions in the future properly reflect our values. I didn’t get it right. Simply put, we have to do better. And we will.
Hindsight is 20/20. In Goodells case he admits to a mistake. Why not admit he's human thus susceptible to mistakes?

It's great he admitted he made a mistake that everyone immediately knew was one. But, please just don't buy into his position that the NFL is now going to get tough on domestic violence with these "new rules". He literally did not enforce any new rule that wasn't already under the broad umbrella and interpretation of the player conduct policy and his authority.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

It's great he admitted he made a mistake that everyone immediately knew was one. But, please just don't buy into his position that the NFL is now going to get tough on domestic violence with these "new rules". He literally did not enforce any new rule that wasn't already under the broad umbrella and interpretation of the player conduct policy and his authority.

I'm not buying into anything. Where did you get that idea? Do me a favor, don't piece-read.
Quote:

I'm gonna trust you understand what I mean by that.

Bye the By: I didn't immediately know he made a mistake. I still don't know, neither do you, what happened in that elevator.

vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

I'm not buying into anything. Where did you get that idea? Do me a favor, don't piece-read.
Quote:

Bye the By: I didn't immediately know he made a mistake. I still don't know, neither do you, what happened in that elevator.

Where did I get that idea? Hmmm:

jodeke wrote:
Quote:
The NFL has taken the public response to domestic violence seriously. 6 games first offense, banishment for second.

The reality is that these exact rules were already in place. That's what you're buying here, that they added some new rule or authority that will strictly apply to domestic violence. Not true. Goodel always had the authority to suspend Ray Rice for 6 games and to ban him after a 2nd offense. Nothing new after this publicity stunt.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
jodeke wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Where did I get that idea? Hmmm:

jodeke wrote:
Quote:
The NFL has taken the public response to domestic violence seriously. 6 games first offense, banishment for second.

The reality is that these exact rules were already in place. That's what you're buying here, that they added some new rule or authority that will strictly apply to domestic violence. Not true. Goodel always had the authority to suspend Ray Rice for 6 games and to ban him after a 2nd offense. Nothing new after this publicity stunt.

That quote was referencing the letter Goodell wrote to the owners.

I'll say it again and hopefully you'll understand my stance.

I'm not buying into anything. Goodell admits to making a mistake by not handling Rice's domestic violence correctly. I glean he's going to enforce the rules with more vigor in the future. I'm willing to see how he handles the next, if there is one, infraction.

That's not buying in, that's being willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. If you don't think he'll be tougher on the next violator, that's your prerogative. I think he will be and that's mine.

You seem to have made up your mind on what he'll do with the next violation, I'm in a wait and see mode. I hope I'm right and you're wrong.

vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject:

Quote:
hat's not buying in, that's being willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

That IS buying into his BS. Why give somebody the benefit of the doubt who needed public resentment to guide him into thinking that beating a woman unconscious was worthy of more than a 2 game suspension?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Quote:
hat's not buying in, that's being willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

That IS buying into his BS. Why give somebody the benefit of the doubt who needed public resentment to guide him into thinking that beating a woman unconscious was worthy of more than a 2 game suspension?

Opinion as you will, it doesn't change my way of thinking. You can't make me buy in because you think it's so. I march to my own drummer.

I repeat.
Quote:
You seem to have made up your mind on what he'll do with the next violation, I'm in a wait and see mode. I hope I'm right and you're wrong.

Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject:

Yeah, gotta save that violent aggression for other men instead.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Yeah, gotta save that violent aggression for other men instead.

He's put himself in a very precarious position. If he doesn't come down hard on the next domestic violator not only him but the NFL will suffer.

But when you think about it, the next violator will only lose 6 games. If same violater steps across the line again, he should be gone.

The 1st step is easy, step 2 is the one that will tell all, 3 strike law eliminated.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject:

49ers DT Ray McDonald arrested for domestic violence

LINK

It didn't take long for Goodell to be tested. The ink's not even dry on his "Letter to the NFL owners."

Keep in mind, he's only been arrested. If McDonald is found guilty he's suspended for 6 games. There is no wiggle room. McDonald has set himself up to be the unenviable first.

He doesn't have to be found guilty to be suspended. If he violated the Personal Conduct Policy he can be suspended, in which case the suspension doesn't have to be 6 games.

waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Making the Seahawks job a little easier...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Making the Seahawks job a little easier...

They spanked Greenbay 36 17.

K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject:

I am hearing that this whole thing is pretty trumped up. Apparently McDonald's fiancee was beating him, and he tried to restrain her and defend himself.

Still got arrested and charged with assault.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Ray Rice Elevator Video Released

On TMZ, and everywhere else now...

Curious what you guys think of this. If Goodell saw that video, and THEN gave him that suspension, shame on him.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
I am hearing that this whole thing is pretty trumped up. Apparently McDonald's fiancee was beating him, and he tried to restrain her and defend himself.

The video from inside the elevator showing the punch has surfaced.

LINK

Looks like he slapped her first and then when she went at him, left hook to the jaw.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:

Unless she is an expert at MMA, she was absolutely no threat to him when she came at him and he threw a left hook. He was absolutely in the wrong. I'm not holding her blameless as she did come at him, but he had all the power at that moment and he could have simply held onto her with the knowledge that the tape in the elevator would support his story if she decided to call the police.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject:

Is it true that Al Haymon has signed Mrs. Rice as Danny Garcia's next opponent? Its gotta be at a catch weight though.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject:

roflmao, what an idiot

I made my first YouTube video out of it featuring good ol' Jim Ross.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject:

Sickening.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17
Jump to: