How many years till the lakers get another player equal to or closely comparable to pre-Achilles kobe?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pre-Achilles kobe is likely the best Laker we will have for the next 10 years?
True
85%
 85%  [ 91 ]
False
14%
 14%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 107

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: How many years till the lakers get another player equal to or closely comparable to pre-Achilles kobe?

Firstly, my comments are based on the perspective that kobe will return to the court and play very, very close to pre-Achilles kobe levels. I understand that is a questionable variable and I understand if you think that's not gonna happen. But still humor my optimism for the sake of the argument.

Many members on LG believe the next two laker seasons are a wash. Kobe is overpaid and their is no way to win a chip till after he retires in two years. I agree kobe is overpaid. But I also think Kobe gives ANY team he's on an under-appreciated value that will win multiple playoff games. In a league with a restictive 24-second shot clock, kobe can give you a near 50-50 (make or miss) shot anytime he's in. That's huge! Cleveland, Miami, and spurs are fumbling over each other right now to grab Ray Allen (another Playoff Shot Maker who isn't nearly as potent as kobe). Lebron has 1 chip without Ray, and a lot of people forget that.

I say all of this, because I think Lakerland is taking kobe for granted. Surround him with pieces and a coach who can keep the game close to even for 3 quarters, and he could lead them to a chip by the end of next season. A lot of people think Kobe isn't good enough to win a chip as the best player on a team. I disagree. I think the best chance the lakers have to win a chip in the next 10 years is Kobe. He is a once and a generation player. And even now, "over the hill", he's the best shot we'll get at a chip for a while.

Trading or drafting a new #1 who will lead us to a chip after Kobe retires is not guaranteed. So vote and comment. Let me know if I'm talking out of my rear end.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Yes, Kobe is the most talented players the Lakers will have in 10 years (most likely).

How many years until the Lakers get another player closely comparable to Kobe? That depends on what you mean.

In terms of style of play? Not very long. Almost every wing player plays like Kobe (Nick Young comes to mind). Getting an All-Star scoring guard is easier than finding another Magic Johnson or Shaq.

In terms of raw talent? That might take a while. We're talking about a guy that has been a Top 5 NBA player for over a decade. I don't know when that will be, but I'm pretty sure the Lakers won't be winning a championship after Kobe retires without that kind of player.

In terms of intangibles? Never. I don't think the Lakers (or anyone) will have a guy with Kobe's mental toughness, physical toughness, sheer determination, will, and work ethic. That's what takes Kobe from an incredibly-talented player to one of the greatest ever. That's what separates a Kobe from guys like T-Mac and Wade.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Were talking about a guy who is more skilled than Jordan, and who reputable people say is the greatest to ever play the game. Its gonna be a while...but there is going to be someone that comes along one day. Not even Durant or James measures up.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Durant whenever he's available.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject:

How many years until the NBA sees another player like pre-achilles Kobe ?
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:

That's the even better question. The way things are going in the league nowadays, it looks like it will be a very long time before we see a player with the same old-school "I want to beat you not buddy up with you for the sake of my brand" approach again. Forget the ball skills.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Equal impact on the game, marketing, league status, etc? "ONCE IN A LIFETIME FRANCHISE" type? Well, Kobe was 17 years after Magic. So I'd say it's a safe bet we won't have anything that significant in the next 10 years.

But chances are good we'll get one of those exciting guys like Vince Carter, Rudy Gay, Demar Derozen.. You know guys that play exciting enough and young enough to command max salary, then eventually become a hindrance and a toxic salary. Chances are GREAT we'll land one of those. I'm not trying to be funny either. We've been fortunate. For every Kobe, for every Lebron, there are 10 other guys who will demand max too who are not as great as them, and will never be. So based on percentages, we're due.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Guys like Kobe, Magic, Kareem, West, Wilt, are once in a generation players....enjoy him while you still can....
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject:

We will most likely never have a guy like Kobe. But as for an all star an all nba idk hopefully Julius Randle.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Guys like Kobe, Magic, Kareem, West, Wilt, are once in a generation players....enjoy him while you still can....

Yeah another legendary type player like that won't be around for at least another 10-15 years.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject:

The only player in the league who was playing at Kobe's level AT THAT TIME was LBJ. Not KD, CP3 or anyone else. Just looking at the # of all star games, All NBA teams, All NBA Defensive teams-the most in league history- and the 81, 62 in 3, 40xmonth 4 times, 5 rings, 7 finals in a Western Conference that has been stacked every year he has been in the league, unlike Magic's Laker teams for example, intensity, heart, ability to play through pain and injury, impossible shot after impossible shot, most skilled player in league history, greatest footwork in league history, greatest ball denial defensive player in league history........I'd say........A LONG TIME.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

You can also add Shaq to the list. It's tough to get your hands on the league's best player, but the Lakers have done it time and again. I wouldn't count against it.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject:

Two months

Kobe's not done yet
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject:

Kobe is an all time great so the chances we get one that is equally great or greater is remote. Lakers have been blessed to have Kobe for nearly 20 years.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject:

With this CBA, it will be several decades. We are going to have to draft him.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject:

Your title and Poll are two different questions.
Firstly you have to realize that Kobe will go down as one of the greatest to ever play the game. You could also say that about Shaq when he was a Laker. So If and this is a BIG IF we were to get a players through free agency, say someone like Durant; it's obvious Durant will go down as a great player, how great remains to be seen, but he could possibly wind up a Laker in less than 10 years.
Secondly, If you're asking if we will draft that player in the next 10 years, I think it's possible, that player may not be Kobe Bryant, but he will make a name for himself and be considered an All Star I'm sure.
The talent level on the Travel Circuit isn't what everyone thinks it is because of the cheating going on, but there are a few players coming through the ranks that have some talent, size and skill, who will be an impact in College and the Pros.
We may never see another Kobe Bryant on the Lakers, like Chicago has never seen an MJ or Pippen or we haven't had a Magic, Kareem, Worthy or Shaq, but every player has an opportunity to make a name for themselves and find their own nitch.
The Lakers will survive the post-Kobe era, its just a matter of how long it will take.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject:

Well, considering that Kobe is a top-10 player all-time, and some on this site would argue he's the best ever, then the answer could reasonably be: A very long time. But there's no way to know this because it depends on the next time this caliber of player is in the league. According to many people here, even the current best player in the league isn't Kobe caliber, though. Which takes me to my point. You don't necessarily need a player that is Kobe caliber to win a championship in the next 10 years. The Spurs just did it, the Mavs did it in 2011. We need to focus on building the best team possible with the best coach possible and go from there, and what you're saying about Kobe returning to form is merely speculation. None of know how he'll look this fall, and even if he does, there are still many more that would need to be made for us to be in that position in the next two years.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject:

I don't see any of the current NBA stars coming to us in free agency. The majority of them aren't better than pre-injury Kobe anyways, except Durant, and I doubt he'll want the LA spotlight on him.

We either need to draft our next superstar or somehow cultivate one from within our ranks.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:

This. Kobe is one of the 5 best players to ever play the game.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Two months

Kobe's not done yet
The legend continues.....
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: How many years till the lakers get another player equal to or closely comparable to pre-Achilles kobe?

kikanga wrote:
Firstly, my comments are based on the perspective that kobe will return to the court and play very, very close to pre-Achilles kobe levels. I understand that is a questionable variable and I understand if you think that's not gonna happen. But still humor my optimism for the sake of the argument.

Many members on LG believe the next two laker seasons are a wash. Kobe is overpaid and their is no way to win a chip till after he retires in two years. I agree kobe is overpaid. But I also think Kobe gives ANY team he's on an under-appreciated value that will win multiple playoff games. In a league with a restictive 24-second shot clock, kobe can give you a near 50-50 (make or miss) shot anytime he's in. That's huge! Cleveland, Miami, and spurs are fumbling over each other right now to grab Ray Allen (another Playoff Shot Maker who isn't nearly as potent as kobe). Lebron has 1 chip without Ray, and a lot of people forget that.

I say all of this, because I think Lakerland is taking kobe for granted. Surround him with pieces and a coach who can keep the game close to even for 3 quarters, and he could lead them to a chip by the end of next season. A lot of people think Kobe isn't good enough to win a chip as the best player on a team. I disagree. I think the best chance the lakers have to win a chip in the next 10 years is Kobe. He is a once and a generation player. And even now, "over the hill", he's the best shot we'll get at a chip for a while.

Trading or drafting a new #1 who will lead us to a chip after Kobe retires is not guaranteed. So vote and comment. Let me know if I'm talking out of my rear end.

Your comments here really have nothing to do with the poll question.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject:

How many years until LA get's another arguable top 10 player EVER. On one hand, I wanna say those are hard to get, but y'all got 3 in a row (Magic, Shaq, Kobe). I think it will be awhile unless you nab Durant, who is the only guy I currently see who can possibly crack the top 10.

I still think the team can easily reload with a great team once Kobe is off the books though.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject:

Kobe is a once in a lifetime talent. End of discussion.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Your title says "equal to or closely comparable to pre-Achilles kobe?"

The general consensus among knowledgeable bball people ranks Kobe about 7th or 8th all time..so, closely comparable might include a range of about the 16 best of all time

In no particular order, more along the age they played in:
Oscar Robinson:
Bill Russell:
Wilt:
Jerry West:
Havlicek:
Elgin Baylor:
KAJ:
Magic
Bird
MJ
Olajuwon
Shaq
TD
Kobe
and you can fill in the last couple of spots from players like Karl Malone, Dr J, Barkley, Moses Malone, Stockton, etc. Some might say Dirk & Carmelo are close there too (I wouldn't, but some could say it)

That list spans about 55 years, and there's 16 players on it - or, about 1 per a little less then 4 years. So, it's likely that there will be another 3 players "closely comparable to pre-Achilles kobe" in every 11 year window.

Current players who probably end up somewhere on that list or might be close to it:
LBJ (certain), Durant (probable), Westbrooke/CP3/Irving/etc (all borderline - so far)...you could even add on a couple more, but these are the ones that show an all around game & also have a high enough skill level...if they live up to it.

In any 10 year era, we always seem to be talking about 6-8 players who are the next "it" guy....2-3 of them seem to pan out over a period of time to where they can actually be in the conversation - whether they make it or just come close.

So, there will be a set of "closely comparable to pre-Achilles kobe" players in the NBA virtually every year....How many of them end up with LAL is a completely different story now given the new CBA and much more wide-open marketing opportunities (ie. Durant just got $280 million over 10 years from Nike - in OKC)
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Two months

Kobe's not done yet

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: