Tech help: Easy way to make long MP3 file into multiple files?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Tech help: Easy way to make long MP3 file into multiple files?

I have some lengthy interviews I'm trying to break down into smaller files. For example: I want to turn a 4-hour interview that's currently on one MP3 file into two two-hour files. Or turn a 3-hour interview into two 90-minute files.

I use Windows Media Player.

I've looked online but am only getting more confused. People recommend Audacity but that sounds a bit complex and it also mentions the quality might go down. I downloaded Mp3 split or something but couldn't even see anything that would help so uninstalled.

Anyone have any hints or programs that make this easy? For someone who is not very sharp when it comes to technical stuff.

I'm sending the pieces off to get transcribed but the place prefers anything over 3 hours to be split into separate files. Thanks for any info.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Use Audacity. It's not that hard to figure out how to use, especially for something as simple as splitting a file.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tech help: Easy way to make long MP3 file into multiple files?

spflakers wrote:
I have some lengthy interviews I'm trying to break down into smaller files. For example: I want to turn a 4-hour interview that's currently on one MP3 file into two two-hour files. Or turn a 3-hour interview into two 90-minute files.

I've looked online but am only getting more confused. People recommend Audacity but that sounds a bit complex and it also mentions the quality might go down. I downloaded Mp3 split or something but couldn't even see anything that would help so uninstalled.

Anyone have any hints or programs that make this easy? For someone who is not very sharp when it comes to technical stuff.

I'm sending the pieces off to get transcribed but the place prefers anything over 3 hours to be split into separate files. Thanks for any info.
Audacity for sure. Just load the file you want to edit highlight the part that you want to make into an mp3. Click track menu and add a new stereo track then paste the highlighted part into the new track. To preview mute the original and you can then edit your new track. When you are ready just highlight your new track then go to the file menu and export highlighted. In the export menu name and save as mp3 file type. It will default save as 128 k stream which is fine for voice I dont notice any quality loss.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tech help: Easy way to make long MP3 file into multiple files?

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
spflakers wrote:

Audacity for sure. Just load the file you want to edit highlight the part that you want to make into an mp3. Click track menu and add a new stereo track then paste the highlighted part into the new track. To preview mute the original and you can then edit your new track. When you are ready just highlight your new track then go to the file menu and export highlighted. In the export menu name and save as mp3 file type. It will default save as 128 k stream which is fine for voice I dont notice any quality loss.

I was just going to say that.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Tech help: Easy way to make long MP3 file into multiple files?

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
spflakers wrote:

Or you could just dub a cassette.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject:

I've used this website in the past: http://mp3cut.net/

It's all online, no need to download anything.

I'm not sure if posting it will cause a spam flag to show up so if it does and the link is no longer here, just PM me for the link.

It's pretty self-explanatory. You upload your audio file, you put a start and end position, and then you click on the Cut button, and then you download it.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject:

Thanks, guys. I used Audacity and managed to all-thumbs my way through it and got a four-and-a-half-hour piece into two separate files. That mp3cut looks good too and little easier, although I tried one on it and my computer was freezing up a bit. But looks like I have a couple of options. Appreciate the help.
NickF
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject:

this http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp3splt/ looks good too but haven't used it
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tech help: Easy way to make long MP3 file into multiple files?

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
spflakers wrote:

Will it work for my 8-tracks?
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tech help: Easy way to make long MP3 file into multiple files?

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
spflakers wrote:

Will it work for my 8-tracks?

My first car was a 66 Ford Cortina (English Ford import) and the first mod I did to it was, yes install a brand new 8 track player for about 40 bucks. Of course it was made more difficult because it was a positive ground. All hail John Lucas Prince of Darkness.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Quicktime pro is the best if you have it,

you can cut mp3's up, merge them together into one file, i would recommend it, and it preserves audio quality

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: