Will losing another finals hurt Lebron's legacy?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Will losing another finals hurt Lebron's legacy?

What do you guys think he is already 2/5 in finals appearances and was pretty much swept by the spurs last season. If he gets to the finals to lose to the spurs again he will be 2 of 6 in finals appearances.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Will losing another finals hurt Lebron's legacy?

Jeggs wrote:
What do you guys think he is already 2/5 in finals appearances and was pretty much swept by the spurs last season. If he gets to the finals to lose to the spurs again he will be 2 of 6 in finals appearances.

I don't know, it doesn't seem to hurt Jerry Wests legacy much.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Will losing another finals hurt Lebron's legacy?

Treble Clef wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

and there's a dude who seriously could have jumped off a cliff and we'd know the reason why. Imagine going all those times and always coming up empty. And usually by the same squad.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Will losing another finals hurt Lebron's legacy?

Jeggs wrote:

It would primarily matter to the people who already dislike Lebron and are looking for reasons to diss him. Most people will judge him by his total number of rings.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Will losing another finals hurt Lebron's legacy?

NBA logic : Where losing in the finals is worse than not making it

If you don't win, it doesn't really matter at which point you lose
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Will losing another finals hurt Lebron's legacy?

Treble Clef wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

West played in a different era. He wasn't a superstar by today's standard. Certainly nothing in the mold of MJ/Kobe or LeBron.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject:

They never called LeBron Mr Clutch.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Will losing another finals hurt Lebron's legacy?

kray28_ wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

West played in a different era. He wasn't a superstar by today's standard. Certainly nothing in the mold of MJ/Kobe or LeBron.

Not a superstar? West was one of the most popular and respected players of his era.

!...
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Will losing another finals hurt Lebron's legacy?

City_Dawg wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

Not a superstar? West was one of the most popular and respected players of his era.

Different era....different level of popularity. It's not a statement on ability, it's a statement on marketability/exposure etc.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject:

El BJ doesn't even own a Legacy. I doubt he ever will.

In fact, I'd bet big money that there's no NBA player around, playing or retired that has a Legacy, much less is worried about it being damaged.

But I'm sure Subaru is glad that there are some NBA focused on their product line.
salami
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject:

It will to the kind of person who would create a thread like this
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Will losing another finals hurt Lebron's legacy?

City_Dawg wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

If he had been an icon of his era, they'd have made a logo for the league that was in his likeness . . . oh wait . . .
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Didn't hurt Charles Barkley, Karl Malone and likes. They didn't even get one ring.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Will losing another finals hurt Lebron's legacy?

kray28_ wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

Different era....different level of popularity. It's not a statement on ability, it's a statement on marketability/exposure etc.

By that reasoning, you're saying the NBA had no superstars prior to Magic/Bird. Heck, by that reasoning, you could say the NBA had no superstars prior to Jordan. Kind of an odd way to define "superstar" in my book.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
El BJ doesn't even own a Legacy. I doubt he ever will.

In fact, I'd bet big money that there's no NBA player around, playing or retired that has a Legacy, much less is worried about it being damaged.

But I'm sure Subaru is glad that there are some NBA focused on their product line.

You justy can't see the forrester through the trees. Stop being a brat or I'll have to take you outback and impreza some manners on you...
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Obviously.
improper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject:

It won't help it, but at this point I can't see it hurting it either. He's pretty much a lock to go down as a top five all-time player regardless of his ring count.

Obviously winning another Finals or two wouldn't hurt how he's perceived in a few decades, though.
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject:

Lefake lost his legacy when he made the DECISION!
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject:

His legacy is most overhyped and overall a failure given his physical dominance during the era of small ball plus post hand checking.

even worse if looking at how obvious wades untouchability in their first two years.

Unfortunately as this comes to light there's only one option... for the league to make it worse.

But they won't, and instead will push someone else to LeBrons level with a different back story and situation to create perceived competition.

at least when the lakers did it, it was due to some smart moves and Kobe getting beat up. Now the league wants to push the off season madness and creation of a new king every year. Fans seem to love it, media loves it, advertisers definitely love it.

The point isn't to provide a competitive sport anymore and support a dominant team with loyal fan baseto build on. Now it's about attracting and distracting as many people as possible. Life long laker, cultic and kicks fans just enable the cause by giving the league enough foundation for them to become entertainment.

Business reasons explained.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject:

The biggest way it would hurt is it means he won't get a ring next year.

I do think people overreact when a superstar falls short on the biggest stage in front of the biggest audience so I think it would hurt his legacy. People will say MJ was 6 for 6 while Lebron was 2 for 6.

Last year people were arguing that Lebron was on a similar path as Jordan and that he was starting to win titles at a similar point in his career that Jordan started winning. Another Finals loss will make it less likely that people will make that argument.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Will losing another finals hurt Lebron's legacy?

kray28_ wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

C'mon my man...Jerry West not a superstar?!?! I can tell you with 100% certainty that Id rather have West on my team than LBJ. First off, West was a much better shooter, and secondly he was clutch...two things LBJ lacks. To me, LBJ is one of the most overrated players of the NBA. Sure, he's good but he's only had a handful of standout games. Not to mention he's a mental midget and a classless jacka$$! I really don't care what he does basketball-wise because he will never be one of my favorite players..
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Didn't hurt Charles Barkley, Karl Malone and likes. They didn't even get one ring.

It didnt hurt them when they were playing but it seems to get brought up all the time now. All of a sudden, everyone decided that any good player should be winning at least one championship, preferably multiples. In my opinion, it's a team sport and rings define teams, not individuals.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject:

LBJ's "legacy" was always about being the best surpassing MJ or Kobe. If he loses another Finals I doubt he would be put up there with either of those players. That being said, would he still be a great? Yes, because people only remember the victories.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Will losing another finals hurt Lebron's legacy?

kray28_ wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

You should read more books about the NBA's history, watch more Hardwood Classics and read quotes from West's opponents and guys who followed him.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
The biggest way it would hurt is it means he won't get a ring next year.

I do think people overreact when a superstar falls short on the biggest stage in front of the biggest audience so I think it would hurt his legacy. People will say MJ was 6 for 6 while Lebron was 2 for 6.

Last year people were arguing that Lebron was on a similar path as Jordan and that he was starting to win titles at a similar point in his career that Jordan started winning. Another Finals loss will make it less likely that people will make that argument.

I think you're talking about two different things.

The first is how many rings you win in total. So sure anytime Lebron or anyone else doesn't win a ring in a year, it reduces his chance to add accomplishments that can boost his standing.

This topic is more about: "It's worse to get to the finals and lose than to get knocked out in the first or second round, because getting knocked out in the first round doesn't affect your finals batting average."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: