Will losing another finals hurt Lebron's legacy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject:

-Showtime- wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
-Showtime- wrote:
It's an achievement that Lebron got 2 rings, but he had to team up with 2 other superstars to do it. Then when he meets a little adversity, and he possibly feels the other 2 stars aren't cutting it anymore he moves away to another stacked team.

Lebron will still go down in history as one of the greats, but losses in the finals and stacking his teams will definitely come into the discussion when talking about Lebron.

Ultimately, if he finishes his career with 4 rings or more, I think it won't affect it much.

Sure Malone and Barkley were still great players but imagine if Malone had won 5 rings, would that have helped his legacy? Of course it would.

Not many players have won titles without other superstars.

The difference is they didn't keep changing teams to team up with them and improve their chances while bolting after losing in the finals. This is the second time Lebron has moved to a stacked team. Sure, he's still a great player, but that is going to come into the conversation when talking about his legacy.

Is it going to hurt his legacy? There are 3 possibilities, it will help, it will hurt and it won't do anything. It definitely won't help much. Karl Malone went to the NBA finals twice, but that doesn't help his legacy a ton.

How many times did Moses Malone change teams?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject:

I'm not convinced that Cleveland will be that good. Love needs to stay healthy and this team hasn't even played a game yet.
-Showtime-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:
-Showtime- wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
-Showtime- wrote:
It's an achievement that Lebron got 2 rings, but he had to team up with 2 other superstars to do it. Then when he meets a little adversity, and he possibly feels the other 2 stars aren't cutting it anymore he moves away to another stacked team.

Lebron will still go down in history as one of the greats, but losses in the finals and stacking his teams will definitely come into the discussion when talking about Lebron.

Ultimately, if he finishes his career with 4 rings or more, I think it won't affect it much.

Sure Malone and Barkley were still great players but imagine if Malone had won 5 rings, would that have helped his legacy? Of course it would.

The difference is they didn't keep changing teams to team up with them and improve their chances while bolting after losing in the finals. This is the second time Lebron has moved to a stacked team. Sure, he's still a great player, but that is going to come into the conversation when talking about his legacy.

Is it going to hurt his legacy? There are 3 possibilities, it will help, it will hurt and it won't do anything. It definitely won't help much. Karl Malone went to the NBA finals twice, but that doesn't help his legacy a ton.

Depends how Malone switched teams. Lebron has left to join 2 stacked teams in his prime, Malone was traded around especially at the tail end of his career. There is a difference between being traded and leaving on your own accord.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
I'm not convinced that Cleveland will be that good. Love needs to stay healthy and this team hasn't even played a game yet.

I hope you are right. What scares me most is the coach. If Blatt is the kind of coach I wanted him to be for the Lakers - Cleveland will win a championship.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject:

-Showtime- wrote:
carlosLisboa wrote:
-Showtime- wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
-Showtime- wrote:

Depends how Malone switched teams. Lebron has left to join 2 stacked teams in his prime, Malone was traded around especially at the tail end of his career. There is a difference between being traded and leaving on your own accord.

Gotta love it when a team coming off the lotto, where the best players outside of LeBron have never sniffed the playoffs (Irving and Love), is the stacked team compared to the team he left that just went to 4 Finals in a row and would still be a title favorite (albeit one behind the Spurs but no guarantee they get back) if he stayed there.

Most titles come from stacked teams, and I never recall any player complaining about how much talent came to their squad.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
-Showtime- wrote:
carlosLisboa wrote:
-Showtime- wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
-Showtime- wrote:

Gotta love it when a team coming off the lotto, where the best players outside of LeBron have never sniffed the playoffs (Irving and Love), is the stacked team compared to the team he left that just went to 4 Finals in a row and would still be a title favorite (albeit one behind the Spurs but no guarantee they get back) if he stayed there.

Most titles come from stacked teams, and I never recall any player complaining about how much talent came to their squad.

So you honestly believe Miami had a brighter future with LeBron than Cleveland does with him? You don't even have to add any reasoning. Just say yes or no..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject:

-Showtime- wrote:

It's just the opposite with Malone. He was traded three times (twice in his rookie season, and one of those teams he never played for). He signed as a free agent five times, most in the second half of his career.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject:

lebrons legacy is hurt
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:
-Showtime- wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
-Showtime- wrote:

Who ever mentions Malone amongst the great centers of all time?
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
So you honestly believe Miami had a brighter future with LeBron than Cleveland does with him? You don't even have to add any reasoning. Just say yes or no..

I believe the Heat were a proven team that you could trust to get back to the Finals and possibly win it, as opposed to the Cavs who have a bright future but still are a complete unknown since no games have been played. Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. We have no clue how Irving and Love will perform in the postseason because they have never been there.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
22 wrote:

I believe the Heat were a proven team that you could trust to get back to the Finals and possibly win it, as opposed to the Cavs who have a bright future but still are a complete unknown since no games have been played. Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. We have no clue how Irving and Love will perform in the postseason because they have never been there.

I'll give you the fact that Irving and Love are unknowns in the playoffs, but I'd still say it was a safer bet by LeBron to pick the cavs even for this season.

The Heat had run out of gas. And that was the known quantity. They got beaten by a record margin in the finals and they didn't have a way to improve thanks to the cap
ringThingDoUrThiNg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
22 wrote:

I think people dont realize that they're saying that wherever LBj goes it becomes a championship caliber team.

If LBJ stays with Heat, they are the favorites, no whe is with the Cavs and they are the new favorites. The key thing here is that LBj is the difference maker.

that actually says A LOT about his legacy- especially if he makes the finals this year.
-Showtime-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject:

ringThingDoUrThiNg wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
22 wrote:

I think people dont realize that they're saying that wherever LBj goes it becomes a championship caliber team.

If LBJ stays with Heat, they are the favorites, no whe is with the Cavs and they are the new favorites. The key thing here is that LBj is the difference maker.

that actually says A LOT about his legacy- especially if he makes the finals this year.

Well that's not entirely true. If Lebron went to the Celtics, Kings, Bucks, Sixers, Magic, Jazz, Wolves etc with their current roster, they would still not be a championship caliber team. Lebron is definitely a huge difference maker, but he wants to team up with 2 other All Star caliber players at the least to have his best chance to win the Championship.

Garnett, Pierce and Allen never 'sniffed' a championship before they coalesced in Boston. It took teaming up for them to finally experience playoff success, which previously eluded them. The difference is they were much older. Boston started the trend and Lebron merely took it to a new team hopping level at a much younger age.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject:

ringThingDoUrThiNg wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
22 wrote:

That's not what I'm saying at all lol. I don't think the heat would have been a championship caliber team if he stayed. And apparently neither does bron bron because he left at the first opportunity.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: