Kobe Bryant studying how Paul Pierce adjusted his game as a veteran
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject:

Who Takes The Blame wrote:
Kobe worked with Hakeem to learn some post moves. Im surprised Kobe doesn't use them.

You haven't seen him play in the last 5 years or so, have you?
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject:

Why do people here take things so literal?

It doesn't mean Kobe is going to turn into Paul Pierce lol. He's not going to adopt every single mannerism of Paul Pierce.

It just means that he's going to study how Paul Pierce played earlier in his career to how he plays now. See if there's anything he can take from the adjustments Pierce made and incorporate that into his own game. Kobe is going to surprise a lot of people here. I imagine a lot of people here are going to be using the often over-used and equally annoying "eat crow" when it comes to doubting Kobe's effectiveness this upcoming season.

Say what you want, but Paul Pierce played well given his limited minutes last season. Kobe is a master at adjusting his game. Through every injury he's changed a little thing here and there to accommodate it. He's healthy, albeit maybe slightly limited now.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject:

The whole "eat crow" sentiment? Again, I think we're past that. Kobe is going to rightfully retire a Laker so who cares if people wrongly forecast how he will do.

Simply put, no one is keeping score about this crap. Kobe didn't make people eat crow last year; he may this year, who cares? I want Kobe to finish out strong and go out on his own terms.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
Why do people here take things so literal?

It doesn't mean Kobe is going to turn into Paul Pierce lol. He's not going to adopt every single mannerism of Paul Pierce.

It just means that he's going to study how Paul Pierce played earlier in his career to how he plays now. See if there's anything he can take from the adjustments Pierce made and incorporate that into his own game. Kobe is going to surprise a lot of people here. I imagine a lot of people here are going to be using the often over-used and equally annoying "eat crow" when it comes to doubting Kobe's effectiveness this upcoming season.

Say what you want, but Paul Pierce played well given his limited minutes last season. Kobe is a master at adjusting his game. Through every injury he's changed a little thing here and there to accommodate it. He's healthy, albeit maybe slightly limited now.

That's the thing: I don't think Pierce did play that well last season. Efficiency will usually increase if you take fewer shots. Pierce has also had the luxury of having a good three-ball. For Kobe, he's always been a streak player. Sometimes it takes him going 0-10 to find his groove and finish strong.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The whole "eat crow" sentiment? Again, I think we're past that. Kobe is going to rightfully retire a Laker so who cares if people wrongly forecast how he will do.

Simply put, no one is keeping score about this crap. Kobe didn't make people eat crow last year; he may this year, who cares? I want Kobe to finish out strong and go out on his own terms.

Spoken like a true hater
Wagyu Kobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
How long before Kobe has the "snap my head back like I got shot" move down pat?

When he grows a beard that makes it look 5x worse.

Paul Pierce's beard looks like when they disguised the main character in Team America to look like a terrorist.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I was just merely suggesting that a lot of people here are going to say they ate crow. That's all. I still don't buy the general consensus here that Kobe Bryant is going to be a stiff, non-athletic inefficient player. To hear people talk -- that's exactly what he'll be. My post was geared toward those people.

I don't think you can judge what Kobe Bryant's numbers are gonna be based off of what Paul Pierce did. Two completely different players. Two completely different skill sets.

We'll see.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject:

NYClakerguy wrote:
why, mamba? why?

No why to this whatsoever. Kobe's game will be limited, though none of us here know to what degree. If he was going to model his game after anyone, Pierce is the absolute right model to choose. Pierce lost his athleticism years ago, and yet his game evolved on what he could do: Craftiness and strength. Still, I don't see a carbon copy, but rather Kobe will just selectively choose those elements of PP's game on an opportunistic basis. For example, Kobe will never be as good as PP from the arc, but then PP never had Kobe's low post game.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah, we are. I have a list.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Kobe Jocker wrote:
All Kobe needs to do is go into the post. he could easily average 27 ppg from there.

The post is physically demanding, especially the way Kobe plays down there. He got his last injury trying to outmuscle Tony Allen so I don't think the post is an easy place to hide him from injuries.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

How was that list last season?
j-wolf
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject:

PP has never been a very athletic player. He is one of the most crafty players. Nothing wrong with learning from him.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
NYClakerguy wrote:
why, mamba? why?

No why to this whatsoever. Kobe's game will be limited, though none of us here know to what degree. If he was going to model his game after anyone, Pierce is the absolute right model to choose. Pierce lost his athleticism years ago, and yet his game evolved on what he could do: Craftiness and strength. Still, I don't see a carbon copy, but rather Kobe will just selectively choose those elements of PP's game on an opportunistic basis. For example, Kobe will never be as good as PP from the arc, but then PP never had Kobe's low post game.

Yup. No different than any other time he has studied another player's game. He just takes the moves that work for him.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
NYClakerguy wrote:
why, mamba? why?

Yup. No different than any other time he has studied another player's game. He just takes the moves that work for him.

He hasn't already learned every individual move there is? Off the top of my head I can't think of anything distinctive to Pierce's game.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Sample size was too small......
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
NYClakerguy wrote:
why, mamba? why?

He hasn't already learned every individual move there is? Off the top of my
head I can't think of anything distinctive to Pierce's game.

I can.....

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Which is why I don't find it productive to seek out people who hoped that Kobe would beast it last year. I think it's in every Lakers fan's interest for Kobe to play well.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Which is why I don't find it productive to seek out people who hoped that Kobe would beast it last year. I think it's in every Lakers fan's interest for Kobe to play well.

Besides, we all know who the real Kobe haters are on LG. It's losers like (Redacted) and that peice of (bleep) (Redacted) and that other loser (Redacted).

(bleep) those guys.

!...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Besides, we all know who the real Kobe haters are on LG. It's losers like (Redacted) and that peice of (bleep) (Redacted) and that other loser (Redacted).

(bleep) those guys.

Not sure about the last one. He's had medical issues.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject:

(bleep) him anyway, he owes me money!

!...
tirebiter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject:

keep a wheelchair handy during games?
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject:

You have to play with dominating players who play big in big games, like Leon Powe.
Vino24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject:

Not a bad thing, its about adding to your game as you grow and kobe is doing that. Pierce does some things great
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Draining 3's right in guys faces works.

That is pretty much what PP evolved to.
mugwump
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject:

Moving his feet less, more catch and shoot. Perhaps like Wayne Gretsky he can hide a bit on the floor before getting the quick assist or the quick score.

It would be a challenging mature adjustment that some fans would detest, but it would lengthen his career if he can figure things out in a Kobe quality way.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: