Bruce Levenson will sell the Atlanta Hawks after revelation of a 2012 racist emai
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Well they were identified as people that don't buy tiçkets , who like other than rap music and who like white cheer leaders. Are those indicators of racism? Also there are some in this thread who would have you believe that "the vast majority" of white southerners males are racists (I think in the interest of sexual equality that white females should be included as well). He bases his findings on discussions he has with like minded friends and associates.

How are you going to pinpoint the scourges so that you can eliminate them? Is there some scientific method or is it just one of those I know em when I see em things? Or is it like the other poster sweep with a big broom and get em all. Also you didn't select your prefered form of elimination. Please feel free to elaborate.

No, that's not how I base my assumption.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:

How are you going to pinpoint the scourges so that you can eliminate them? Is there some scientific method or is it just one of those I know em when I see em things? Or is it like the other poster sweep with a big broom and get em all. Also you didn't select your prefered form of elimination. Please feel free to elaborate.

The only thing that will effectively eradicate them is time. As the years goes by, it becomes more difficult for racists to find a place of comfort. In most of the country, racists are already viewed as quacks & weirdos. That trend will only continue as generation after generation of young people become the majority of the population and the old school racists continue to die off into oblivion. The overwhelming majority of Americans under the age of 50 are not racists. The number of racists under the age of 20 is statistically insignificant. In less than a hundred years time, racists will primarily be a curious part of this countries past. Something kids read about in a history book and look at with the same bewilderment that most today do when they read about dumbtards of the past that believed in things like witches, a flat earth, and grown men dressing up in bed sheets roaming the countryside murdering and actually believing it was acceptable behaviour.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

The only thing that will effectively eradicate them is time. As the years goes by, it becomes more difficult for racists to find a place of comfort. In most of the country, racists are already viewed as quacks & weirdos. That trend will only continue as generation after generation of young people become the majority of the population and the old school racists continue to die off into oblivion. The overwhelming majority of Americans under the age of 50 are not racists. The number of racists under the age of 20 is statistically insignificant. In less than a hundred years time, racists will primarily be a curious part of this countries past. Something kids read about in a history book and look at with the same bewilderment that most today do when they read about dumbtards of the past that believed in things like witches, a flat earth, and grown men dressing up in bed sheets roaming the countryside murdering and actually believing it was acceptable behaviour.

I think a couple of visits to any espn or yahoo sports comments section would tell you that young racists are not statistically insignificant.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Well they were identified as people that don't buy tiçkets , who like other than rap music and who like white cheer leaders. Are those indicators of racism? Also there are some in this thread who would have you believe that "the vast majority" of white southerners males are racists (I think in the interest of sexual equality that white females should be included as well). He bases his findings on discussions he has with like minded friends and associates.

Quote:
It's not just my personal experience. I have multiple relationships with extremely well known and connected people in the fields of civil rights, Critical Race Theory, Civil Rights attorneys, philosophy etc. This is the stuff we discuss on a regular basis

These people are not friends and associates? BTW I am sure their opinion counts more than anyone else's since they are "extremely well known and connected" as does yours.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
johnnyhandsome wrote:

Quote:
Again, Levenson is pointing out that the white fans are probably racist and stereotyping the black fans, despite no evidence.

Yet he's trying to bring them back. lol

And that right there is the cruxt of it. He's clearly saying that profits should trump racism and he's obviously OK with courting racists as long as it makes him another buck. Imagine if he told the US govt that it was ok for his business to do business with Iran because HIS rights to profits trump what's in the national interest.

Which would be fine if it wasn't done in a way that would harm the victim of their racism. But basically, he wanted to bring in the racists, and make no mistake, the vast majority of white males in the South are still fighting the Civil War, and kick out the group that has actually been loyal to the organization. Again, institutional racism to the the very core.

So the vast majority of southern white makes are racist? WOW.
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

I think a couple of visits to any espn or yahoo sports comments section would tell you that young racists are not statistically insignificant.
I highly doubt that that is an accurate representation of the population at large. It just so happens that the people who are still racist tend to gravitate towards comment sections and other online forums to communicate these things because they feel safer or more confident doing so.

ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Those aren't indicators of racism. What about the part that details how he believes that they are afraid of blacks, and that the arena is perceived as 'dangerous' (which he goes on to state that he believes it's because of the overwhelming presence of blacks).
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Like I said:

"As the years goes by, it becomes more difficult for racists to find a place of comfort."

Online forums are an ideal place for a few chicken$#%^#'s who are so po'd that they can't spout off their nonsense with any real form of comfort out in the general public at large, so they gravitate to one of the few environments which gives them a degree of annonimity. It's like when you start shrinking an animals habitat. It starts seeking out the few remaining places where it can do the things it wants to do without threat of being killed off by humans if they were to witness it doing it. Racists are much the same, feeling the walls closing in and desperately seeking for places where they can engage in behaviour which they can't comfortably engage in when amongst the human population at large.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:

Imagine if these same stereotypes and 'concerns' were being attributed to whites. I'm pretty sure there would be just as much backlash if there were claims like "White people are scaring away blacks and blacks aren't comfortable around whites, whites don't cheer as loudly as blacks (seriously? another one of his 'theories'?)" AND THEN trying to use that as justification to try to not only increase the amount of black people that show up to games, but actively suggesting that it would be beneficial to decrease the amount of white people at games. You honestly think there would be no backlash to that?

No there wouldn't, who would complain? whilst the topic of Deng was certainly racist, the issue of Levenson has been pretty much entirely taken up by the self loathing white population, there seems a level of bemusement elsewhere.

Quote:
It's intellectually dishonest to try and frame this as an attempt at being inclusive of whites when it is actually about excluding blacks. Sure, I definitely think that it was due to profits and not because of any belief in blacks being racially inferior. Does that make it right though? The housing market also would probably be more financially successful if things like redlining were still occurring, so is the fair housing act a travesty?

Right isn't the word, Acceptable? yes it does, or at least it should be, and what he's suggesting is much closer to gentrification than redlining.

I guess we'll just have to disagree here. I'm sure there would still be some sort of criticism, because again this is less about being inclusive and more about being exclusive. Sure, it might not be as sensitive of a racial issue because how often is it the case that blacks are the ones who are uncomfortable around whites, or fear the presence of whites? It wouldn't be the same exact reaction obviously because anyone expecting it to would be completely disregarding the historical context of race issues in America. It would still raise eyebrows, though.

The major difference between gentrification and redlining is that gentrification is not based on race (even though at times it can become a racial issue). If the focus was simply getting affluent individuals to the games, regardless of race, than that would be gentrification. I don't see how this isn't more akin to redlining, however. Shifting the demographic of the crowd to be more white and therefore more profitable is clearly race based.

But again, agree to disagree in this case it seems. I don't think courting people who have racist values or prejudices should be acceptable in order to make another buck. I might be misunderstanding you but it seems to me that you are implying it should be?
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject:

The_Dynasty24 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

I highly doubt that that is an accurate representation of the population at large. It just so happens that the people who are still racist tend to gravitate towards comment sections and other online forums to communicate these things because they feel safer or more confident doing so.

ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Those aren't indicators of racism. What about the part that details how he believes that they are afraid of blacks, and that the arena is perceived as 'dangerous' (which he goes on to state that he believes it's because of the overwhelming presence of blacks).

My point about the comments section is that that racism in they young crowd is not, statistically insignificant, even with the added draw of anonymity.

The second point is not about what Levenson thinks but about assumptions made by posters in this thread. If you want my opinion about Levenson, I do not claim to be a mind, reader but it seems that he is trying to figure out a way to add more white customers while keeping his good black base and he was thinking of the racial opinions of his potential customers and how to make it work. It looks to me like he thinks it can't since he tried unsuccessfully to sell once and now he wants the league to force him to sell. Like I said before basketball in Atlanta has always been a tough sell and it hasn't gotten any easier over the years appaerently.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Like I said:

"As the years goes by, it becomes more difficult for racists to find a place of comfort."

Online forums are an ideal place for a few chicken$#%^#'s who are so po'd that they can't spout off their nonsense with any real form of comfort out in the general public at large, so they gravitate to one of the few environments which gives them a degree of annonimity. It's like when you start shrinking an animals habitat. It starts seeking out the few remaining places where it can do the things it wants to do without threat of being killed off by humans if they were to witness it doing it. Racists are much the same, feeling the walls closing in and desperately seeking for places where they can engage in behaviour which they can't comfortably engage in when amongst the human population at large.

You said they are statsistically insignificant and that is clearly not the case.
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:

My point about the comments section is that that racism in they young crowd is not, statistically insignificant, even with the added draw of anonymity.

The second point is not about what Levenson thinks but about assumptions made by posters in this thread. If you want my opinion about Levenson, I do not claim to be a mind, reader but it seems that he is trying to figure out a way to add more white customers while keeping his good black base and he was thinking of the racial opinions of his potential customers and how to make it work. It looks to me like he thinks it can't since he tried unsuccessfully to sell once and now he wants the league to force him to sell. Like I said before basketball in Atlanta has always been a tough sell and it hasn't gotten any easier over the years appaerently.

I understand that that was your point. My point is that the comment sections is not an accurate representation of whether or not racism is an anomaly amongst younger crowds.

Well the first part asked whether or not those were indicators of racism and I was trying to point out a part that you left out that I thought was significant. I don't think that the majority of southern whites are racist, and I don't profess to speak for anyone else but I don't believe that to be the consensus. I completely agree about your opinion about what Levenson was trying to do. The debate here I guess is how exactly would you try to get that to work without catering to racist opinions, and I'm not sure if there's a solution to that. Some people here seem to feel like it's OK to cater to the racial opinions of those potential customers in order to achieve more financial success. I'm saying that I disagree with that.

I think we're all in agreement that Atlanta isn't a great basketball city though. Just move it to Seattle and be done with it!
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Like I said:

You said they are statsistically insignificant and that is clearly not the case.

Ahem, on this thing called the internet, there is no reliable way to accurately age verify an audience. All one has to do is take a stroll by the local city high school and take a gander at the kids and how they mingle amongst one another. A much more valid assessment than trying to guess the age and numbers of a few posters on a minority of webboards on the internet. The overwhelming majority of webboards are as free of racists as society in general. They exist, but they have to hide their true selves when mingling with the rest of us. When you compare the few webboards where racists feel comfortable spouting their nonsense, it's reflective of society in general. Most people who choose to engage in groups in this country are intolerant of racists views and beliefs, so they seek out the few places they can "let loose". And that list of places keeps shrinking.

If you have 100 rats spread throughout a building, and the exterminators come in and start at one end and make a sweep, all the rats run to the farthest corner of the building to protect themselves. You can't judge the entire building based on that one corner. When you spot 5 rats in that one corner, it's a statistically insignificant amount of rats when compared to the building former population of 100 rats. 5 rats seems like a lot in one place, but with respect to the building, it's insignificant - especially considering 95 other rats have been successfully eradicated.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Lol ithink we can agree to disagree on this point since it is all conjecture.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Quote:
It's not just my personal experience. I have multiple relationships with extremely well known and connected people in the fields of civil rights, Critical Race Theory, Civil Rights attorneys, philosophy etc. This is the stuff we discuss on a regular basis

These people are not friends and associates? BTW I am sure their opinion counts more than anyone else's since they are "extremely well known and connected" as does yours.

Those discussions do not have any bearing on my opinion.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
johnnyhandsome wrote:

Quote:
Again, Levenson is pointing out that the white fans are probably racist and stereotyping the black fans, despite no evidence.

And that right there is the cruxt of it. He's clearly saying that profits should trump racism and he's obviously OK with courting racists as long as it makes him another buck. Imagine if he told the US govt that it was ok for his business to do business with Iran because HIS rights to profits trump what's in the national interest.

Which would be fine if it wasn't done in a way that would harm the victim of their racism. But basically, he wanted to bring in the racists, and make no mistake, the vast majority of white males in the South are still fighting the Civil War, and kick out the group that has actually been loyal to the organization. Again, institutional racism to the the very core.

I know right?
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
johnnyhandsome wrote:

Quote:

I know right?

It's a shame that your biases so often cloud your judgement.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
johnnyhandsome wrote:

Quote:

I know right?

You have no basis for that claim. You have no idea how many consequential decisions I have to make on a daily basis and what factors and how they weigh go into making those decisions.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
johnnyhandsome wrote:

Quote:

I know right?

You have no basis for that claim. You have no idea how many consequential decisions I have to make on a daily basis and what factors and how they weigh go into making those decisions.

I have as much basis for my claim as you do for your's.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
johnnyhandsome wrote:

Quote:

I know right?

No, you don't.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
johnnyhandsome wrote:

Quote:

I know right?

No, you don't.

I'm interested to see your data on the vast majority of white southern males "still fighting the civil war".
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
johnnyhandsome wrote:

Quote:

I know right?

No, you don't.

I'm interested to see your data on the vast majority of white southern males "still fighting the civil war".

Unfortunately, I don't have time at the moment to compile the vast and overwhelming evidence for my statement. And frankly, amongst the many lessons I've learned is that it is almost impossible to convince white Americans, no matter their circumstance, that their view of race is less impartial or valid than any other opinion when given by a black person. As a matter of fact, they are virtually assured to view a view from the majority of blacks' prospective as by definition biased, while theirs is unbiased. Prof. Bell's first rule of racial standing is almost universally applicable.

So, I won't take the 45 minutes or so it would require to compile the data, which are spread across several areas, and post it only for it to be rejected before it's even given consideration. I'm comfortable with my belief and if others disagree, that is their right.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Assume everyone else that's not like you is racist. What a way to live life.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:

Careful http://youtu.be/Hzh9koy7b1E
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:

Liars think everyone lies. Racists think everyone is a racist.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: