Bruce Levenson will sell the Atlanta Hawks after revelation of a 2012 racist emai
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject:

The Five Rules of Racial Standing

LINK

Racism presides on a very slippery slope. There are many sides to slide down.

Reading, deciphering and assimilating all sides is important.

How one comes to conclusions is usually determined by the race and experiences of the one forming the conclusion also by how he/she interacts and co-exists with their community.

All sides have points, some valid to one ethnic not to another.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
Danny Ferry said Luol Deng still had a little African in him. And that he didn't mean that in a bad way. Thats not the exact quote but pretty close.

Danny Ferry takes leave of absence

LINK

Quote:
Ferry issued his own statement, saying he plans to undergo sensitivity training and meet with local leaders. He gave no indication that he plans to step down.

DS opened Pandora's Box.

As I understand it Danny made a insensitive statement when assessing the GM's statement
Quote:
Ferry made an inflammatory assessment of Luol Deng during a conference call with the Hawks' ownership group in June as the team was pursuing the free agent. The GM described Deng as someone who "has a little African in him."

"He's like a guy who would have a nice store out front and sell you counterfeit stuff out of the back," Ferry said on the call, which was recorded. .

I believe this is a sensitivity issue. Danny should not have made that assessment. It does say something about how he views some segments of our society.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject:

Hawks aren't the first Atlanta team to have this "problem". The Braves are moving out of Turner Field because the area they are in is a predominantly lower income African American neighborhood to a higher income suburb, even though their stadium is only 18 years old as of now.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject:

Do people think Danny Ferry needs to take a leave of absence and go through sensitivity training? Curious to hear opinions on that.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
Do people think Danny Ferry needs to take a leave of absence and go through sensitivity training? Curious to hear opinions on that.

A leave of absence yes, sensitivity training, to an extent.

Leave of absence to get away from the game, take a step back. Sensitivity training too sharpen awareness and made aware of the impact of his statement.

I don't think either will change a mind set.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:05 am; edited 2 times in total
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:

The sensitivity training is purely for PR purposes IMO
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
...it is almost impossible to convince white Americans, no matter their circumstance, that their view of race is less impartial or valid than any other opinion when given by a black person. As a matter of fact, they are virtually assured to view a view from the majority of blacks' prospective as by definition biased, while theirs is unbiased. Prof. Bell's first rule of racial standing is almost universally applicable.

It seems that each person would have a perspective uniquely their own and self-validated by their life experience. As such, each would equally believe their opinion to be valid. And each would be equally susceptible to bias, mitigated only by their own desire to understand and empatize with the experiences of others.

I'm comfortable with my belief and if others disagree, that is their right.
Comfort may be a sign that you have gone too long without questioning your beliefs. It is human nature to do so, which is why beliefs evolve from one generation to the next far more readily than within an individual. Perhaps it is time for a belief check-up, Doc. We could all benefit from regularly questioning the things that we 'know', particularly when the issues quite obviously change over time.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
...it is almost impossible to convince white Americans, no matter their circumstance, that their view of race is less impartial or valid than any other opinion when given by a black person. As a matter of fact, they are virtually assured to view a view from the majority of blacks' prospective as by definition biased, while theirs is unbiased. Prof. Bell's first rule of racial standing is almost universally applicable.

It seems that each person would have a perspective uniquely their own and self-validated by their life experience. As such, each would equally believe their opinion to be valid. And each would be equally susceptible to bias, mitigated only by their own desire to understand and empatize with the experiences of others.

Comfort may be a sign that you have gone too long without questioning your beliefs. It is human nature to do so, which is why beliefs evolve from one generation to the next far more readily than within an individual. Perhaps it is time for a belief check-up, Doc. We could all benefit from regularly questioning the things that we 'know', particularly when the issues quite obviously change over time.

There has been nothing that has happened in the past 50 years that comes close to invalidating Prof. Bell's rules. I'm not going to change beliefs based on immense data and social science just because.

And it may be human nature to do a lot of things, but I never argue with a woman who tells me how scared she feels to go for an afternoon run in the park. I don't because I don't have that fear because I am a man and one who is trained in self defense. So when she starts explaining how she felt when that dude came up on her, I shut up and listen and try to learn. In my experience as well as numerous social studies, white people are almost completely unable to validate a black person's opinion on white racism. It takes a white person validating that opinion in order for another white person to give it consideration.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:

There has been nothing that has happened in the past 50 years that comes close to invalidating Prof. Bell's rules. I'm not going to change beliefs based on immense data and social science just because.

And it may be human nature to do a lot of things, but I never argue with a woman who tells me how scared she feels to go for an afternoon run in the park. I don't because I don't have that fear because I am a man and one who is trained in self defense. So when she starts explaining how she felt when that dude came up on her, I shut up and listen and try to learn. In my experience as well as numerous social studies, white people are almost completely unable to validate a black person's opinion on white racism. It takes a white person validating that opinion in order for another white person to give it consideration.

Funny, because I have gotten most of my information on racism from black people (or other minorities/oppressed classes). And one thing I learned is that the worst part of racism is where you actually believe you know about the "other" to a degree that you can rationalize your superiority. I am quite willing to listen to your opinions on race, and in fact to give them de facto weight beyond my own, particularly when you describe your experiences and the way in which whites interact with you that they may not even realize. But you don't get the presumption of knowing each and every thought, feeling, and propensity of entire swaths of white people to a degree that only a black person can. That's just not going to fly without evidence. And the response of not offering the evidence because you know it will be discounted because whites can't hear about their racism from blacks (doubling down on your superior, intimate knowledge of the minds of the vast majority of southern whites) is itself indicative of a feeling that you are in a place iof superiority and truth that you will not share with the inferior tribe who cannot understand your wisdom. That was the whole point. Hypocrisy. You have embraced what you behold.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Funny, because I have gotten most of my information on racism from black people (or other minorities/oppressed classes). And one thing I learned is that the worst part of racism is where you actually believe you know about the "other" to a degree that you can rationalize your superiority. I am quite willing to listen to your opinions on race, and in fact to give them de facto weight beyond my own, particularly when you describe your experiences and the way in which whites interact with you that they may not even realize. But you don't get the presumption of knowing each and every thought, feeling, and propensity of entire swaths of white people to a degree that only a black person can. That's just not going to fly without evidence. And the response of not offering the evidence because you know it will be discounted because whites can't hear about their racism from blacks (doubling down on your superior, intimate knowledge of the minds of the vast majority of southern whites) is itself indicative of a feeling that you are in a place iof superiority and truth that you will not share with the inferior tribe who cannot understand your wisdom. That was the whole point. Hypocrisy. You have embraced what you behold.

How ironic that we both rest our cases.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject:

I think given the Sterling fiasco and all the drama going on in the NFL... everyone is on edge and waiting to overreact with just about anything... Everyone is so damn sensitive these days.

Jason Whitlock had a take on this about a week back.. Not sure if posted earlier but here's a snippet.

"If all of my instructions to staff during the seven years I hosted a radio show were written down and examined, I'd sound a lot like Bruce Levenson. Hell, I might sound much worse. The path to inclusion and diversity is not paved with precise, pretty words.

Levenson's email paints him as a man trying to be inclusive while trying to expand his business. In an effort to increase fan support, the Atlanta Braves will be moving to Cobb County, Georgia, the suburbs, in 2016, abandoning Turner Field and downtown Atlanta. It's called "white flight." Levenson was trying to avoid white flight.

I guarantee you the next owner of the Hawks -- regardless of race -- won't care. He'll overpay for the privilege of owning the team, and he'll look to maximize profits by any means necessary. If that means moving to the suburbs at the first possible opportunity, he will do just that. I bet the kiss cam, cheerleaders, season-ticket base and everything else will look much whiter in an Atlanta suburb.

And then the new owner of the Atlanta Hawks will write an email complaining that the cheerleaders, kiss cam, music and season-ticket base are too white, and the media and racial opportunists will applaud the new owner for being a champion of diversity."

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject:

^^^^^ It's the present climate in sports. Put on some Sea & Ski, relax and wait for things to calm down.

JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject:

I'm not asking that you to change beliefs 'just because', but to question them because they are too important not to.

And it may be human nature to do a lot of things, but I never argue with a woman who tells me how scared she feels to go for an afternoon run in the park. I don't because I don't have that fear because I am a man and one who is trained in self defense. So when she starts explaining how she felt when that dude came up on her, I shut up and listen and try to learn.

An appropriate level of fear keeps the woman safe from harm.
A disproportionate amount of fear prevents the her from enjoying a run in the park unnecessarily.
The only way to figure out where to draw the line today is through the very examination I encourage you to engage in, not just listening to her but exchanging ideas to discover which fears are factual and which are emotional. I doubt that you would want this woman to live life making decisions based on only half of that equation.

In my experience as well as numerous social studies, white people are almost completely unable to validate a black person's opinion on white racism. It takes a white person validating that opinion in order for another white person to give it consideration.

In my experience as well as numerous social studies, people who attribute a single trait to a huge segment of the population do so to justify their own beliefs and are not looking for the truth at all.

Wouldn't it be nice for that woman to learn that sometimes she could run in the park amongst friends?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject:

I've seen in this forum a series of post that indicate a difference in how things are handled from child raising to racism.

I've concluded one's race, environment, rearing etc. will impact how one views, handles, different facets of life's experiences. What one calls unscrupulous another may deem palatable.

Studies made have pros and cons for both sides. I won't say which side is right or wrong.

Being of African American decent my views may vary from those of Mongoloid or Caucasoid decent.

Are other ways more valid because of the way they feel or because of how they believe?

I don't think so.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:

I'm not asking that you to change beliefs 'just because', but to question them because they are too important not to.

And it may be human nature to do a lot of things, but I never argue with a woman who tells me how scared she feels to go for an afternoon run in the park. I don't because I don't have that fear because I am a man and one who is trained in self defense. So when she starts explaining how she felt when that dude came up on her, I shut up and listen and try to learn.

A disproportionate amount of fear prevents the her from enjoying a run in the park unnecessarily.
The only way to figure out where to draw the line today is through the very examination I encourage you to engage in, not just listening to her but exchanging ideas to discover which fears are factual and which are emotional. I doubt that you would want this woman to live life making decisions based on only half of that equation.

In my experience as well as numerous social studies, white people are almost completely unable to validate a black person's opinion on white racism. It takes a white person validating that opinion in order for another white person to give it consideration.

In my experience as well as numerous social studies, people who attribute a single trait to a huge segment of the population do so to justify their own beliefs and are not looking for the truth at all.

Wouldn't it be nice for that woman to learn that sometimes she could run in the park amongst friends?

When I picked up my 5 y.o. twins from school this afternoon, one of them told me that today there was a boy in class who was drawing and when he drew some people with a black crayola, said "Black people steal things."

But I knew this day would come so, my girls have been steeped in what has gone on in this country and what still goes on. And the greatness of her people. She knows Charlie Parker and Martin King and Ali and so on. And so when homeboy said that, surely a line of thought he learned from his racist ass parents, my daughter didn't become angry, nor did she run to tell the teacher, nor did she cower. See we're high yellow black folk and that dude may not have even known she was she black.

So she simply said, Oh yeah? Well, I'm black and I don't steal things and my daddy is black and he is a doctor at the hospital and he doesn't steal either. He saves people's lives."

Dude shut the (bleep) up.

So yeah, I'll keep on doing what I do. And my daughters will conquer the World.

Ain't nothing you, or 24 or anybody else here can tell me, especially coming from a place they can't possibly understand that can take the place of preparing my daughters for being black in America.

But hey, when they graduate from Stanford, I'll chuckle at this conversation.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject:

It's a shame to be so close minded.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:

When I picked up my 5 y.o. twins from school this afternoon, one of them told me that today there was a boy in class who was drawing and when he drew some people with a black crayola, said "Black people steal things."

But I knew this day would come so, my girls have been steeped in what has gone on in this country and what still goes on. And the greatness of her people. She knows Charlie Parker and Martin King and Ali and so on. And so when homeboy said that, surely a line of thought he learned from his racist ass parents, my daughter didn't become angry, nor did she run to tell the teacher, nor did she cower. See we're high yellow black folk and that dude may not have even known she was she black.

So she simply said, Oh yeah? Well, I'm black and I don't steal things and my daddy is black and he is a doctor at the hospital and he doesn't steal either. He saves people's lives."

Ain't nothing you, or 24 or anybody else here can tell me, especially coming from a place they can't possibly understand that can take the place of preparing my daughters for being black in America.

I'm curious to see how you are teaching your kids to be black in America and how much of it includes instilling your own brand of racism, because based on what you wrote, there is likely quite a bit of it.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:

Kindergarten is supposed to facilitate social interaction, and it seems that your daughter's response will help that little boy see beyond the limits of what he learns from his parents. Your daughters will as well. Their generation will have a lot more interaction with and exposure to other cultures and that will form their view of the world and the people within it. Generations change.
Parents, not so much...

Ain't nothing you, or 24 or anybody else here can tell me,

You have given your fear an awful lot of power.

especially coming from a place they can't possibly understand that can take the place of preparing my daughters for being black in America.

No you won't. But perhaps our conversation will stick in the back of your mind as you see your daughters grow up with a group of friends chosen for reasons a lot more important to them than race.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Kindergarten is supposed to facilitate social interaction, and it seems that your daughter's response will help that little boy see beyond the limits of what he learns from his parents. Your daughters will as well. Their generation will have a lot more interaction with and exposure to other cultures and that will form their view of the world and the people within it. Generations change.
Parents, not so much...

Ain't nothing you, or 24 or anybody else here can tell me,

You have given your fear an awful lot of power.

especially coming from a place they can't possibly understand that can take the place of preparing my daughters for being black in America.

No you won't. But perhaps our conversation will stick in the back of your mind as you see your daughters grow up with a group of friends chosen for reasons a lot more important to them than race.

I think maybe you need to do some reflecting if you can honestly say that to a black American.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Ain't nothing you, or 24 or anybody else here can tell me

I think maybe you need to do some reflecting if you can honestly say that to a black American.

That everyone should do some reflecting has been my point all along.
Hopefully that reflection leads to debate and argument and the give and take of discussion followed by more reflection upon the ideas and perspective of others and ultimately learning something that makes one feel uncomfortable.
I am not afraid to be wrong on the road to getting it right.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Ain't nothing you, or 24 or anybody else here can tell me

That everyone should do some reflecting has been my point all along.
Hopefully that reflection leads to debate and argument and the give and take of discussion followed by more reflection upon the ideas and perspective of others and ultimately learning something that makes one feel uncomfortable.
I am not afraid to be wrong on the road to getting it right.

Fair enough. Point taken.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: