Bruce Levenson will sell the Atlanta Hawks after revelation of a 2012 racist emai
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject:

johnnyhandsome wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

Quote:
My theory is that the black crowd scared away the whites and there are simply not enough affluent black fans to build a signficant season ticket base. Please dont get me wrong. There was nothing threatening going on in the arean back then. i never felt uncomfortable, but i think southern whites simply were not comfortable being in an arena or at a bar where they were in the minority

Levenson sees no problem. He thinks it's the Southern whites that have a problem. That's probably a true statement.

Uhhh...what? Levensen thinks the reason why there aren't enough white males is because Blacks are scaring them away. Who in their right mind would ever come to that conclusion? Maybe someone who feels that way about blacks? Furthermore, he also "thinks" that there aren't enough affluent black males out there to bring in the cash. How does he know? He doesn't but that is his mindset based on his ASSumptions.
What the paragraph you quoted amounts to is a guy saying something bigoted and them disclaiming it by saying, "don't get me wrong", that's how "they" feel, not me. Don't believe me? look at your next paragraph:

Quote:
On fan sites i would read comments about how dangerous it is around philips yet in our 9 years, i don’t know of a mugging or even a pick pocket incident. This was just racist garbage. When I hear some people saying the arena is in the wrong place I think it is code for there are too many blacks at the games.

Notice how he starts off by using other people (fan sites) to do his dirty work. Also notice how his quote about Philips being dangerous never mentions race but Levensen goes on to call it racist crap. The funny part is that his theory blames it on there being too many blacks. If Philips is safe according to him, why bring it up? Why is he associating mugging and pick pocketing to solely Blacks? Levensen made that connection on his own. If he feels it's racist crap, why is he catering to those racists by trying to bring back the southern whites that are scared away? Funny how he connected dangerous and blacks all on his own. Levensen is blaming everything on blacks and using stupid theories to prove that. I'm sorry, when someone uses a lot of disclaimers attached to questionable crap like that, it's safe to say he feels that way knowing it wrong.

Quote:
Again, Levenson is pointing out that the white fans are probably racist and stereotyping the black fans, despite no evidence.

Yet he's trying to bring them back. lol

Why does he think there aren't a lot of black affluent males to bring in cash? He doesn't say that. He says that white, 35-55 year old males own the most season tickets across the NBA, which has factual backing. And the Hawks do not have a lot of these fans, according to what he sees in the arena. Therefore, it makes sense that they have poor ticket sales.

I think he says some things that are regrettable, but this is no different than a company saying, "The main demographic that buys our product is 80-year olds. We need to target 18-24 year olds because they tend to spend more money. If we target 18-24 year olds, then our profits will go up."

^ That is exactly what every business across the world does. It's simply analyzing the statistics and figuring out what makes the most money. They're not discriminating against 80-year olds, they just want to appeal to a different, more profitable demographic.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:

Levenson sees no problem. He thinks it's the Southern whites that have a problem. That's probably a true statement.

It's not probably true just because it may seem somewhat plausible. It's a simplistic assumption that there aren't tangible reasons why season ticket sales by whites and white father/son pairings and other things that he keyed on weren't up to his standards. What's probably a true statement is that this guy was too moved by his perceptions instead of going out and trying to find facts. The idea that a hip hop beat is enough of a deterrent for a white ticket buyer to plunk down coin for expensive tickets in a rebounding economy is a good indication of how silly his thinking is. I hate a lot of current mainstream hip hop and rap that they play at Staples, but I promise you I wouldn't turn down season seats because they aren't playing more Skynard. In this case, he was offensive and presumptuous to both black and white fans.

Ted Turner gave a veiled threat to his employees one year to ensure they would attend their home playoff games. Other historical tidbits that I cited in a post above. What gives Levenson cause to assume that actual basketball reasons aren't behind some of their fanbases' apparent malaise?

Last edited by non-player zealot on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
johnnyhandsome
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:
johnnyhandsome wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

Quote:
My theory is that the black crowd scared away the whites and there are simply not enough affluent black fans to build a signficant season ticket base. Please dont get me wrong. There was nothing threatening going on in the arean back then. i never felt uncomfortable, but i think southern whites simply were not comfortable being in an arena or at a bar where they were in the minority

Uhhh...what? Levensen thinks the reason why there aren't enough white males is because Blacks are scaring them away. Who in their right mind would ever come to that conclusion? Maybe someone who feels that way about blacks? Furthermore, he also "thinks" that there aren't enough affluent black males out there to bring in the cash. How does he know? He doesn't but that is his mindset based on his ASSumptions.
What the paragraph you quoted amounts to is a guy saying something bigoted and them disclaiming it by saying, "don't get me wrong", that's how "they" feel, not me. Don't believe me? look at your next paragraph:

Quote:
On fan sites i would read comments about how dangerous it is around philips yet in our 9 years, i don’t know of a mugging or even a pick pocket incident. This was just racist garbage. When I hear some people saying the arena is in the wrong place I think it is code for there are too many blacks at the games.

Notice how he starts off by using other people (fan sites) to do his dirty work. Also notice how his quote about Philips being dangerous never mentions race but Levensen goes on to call it racist crap. The funny part is that his theory blames it on there being too many blacks. If Philips is safe according to him, why bring it up? Why is he associating mugging and pick pocketing to solely Blacks? Levensen made that connection on his own. If he feels it's racist crap, why is he catering to those racists by trying to bring back the southern whites that are scared away? Funny how he connected dangerous and blacks all on his own. Levensen is blaming everything on blacks and using stupid theories to prove that. I'm sorry, when someone uses a lot of disclaimers attached to questionable crap like that, it's safe to say he feels that way knowing it wrong.

Quote:
Again, Levenson is pointing out that the white fans are probably racist and stereotyping the black fans, despite no evidence.

Why does he think there aren't a lot of black affluent males to bring in cash? He doesn't say that.

You quoted it. Why don't you read your quote that I bolded in red on the first paragraph.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:

^ That is exactly what every business across the world does. It's simply analyzing the statistics and figuring out what makes the most money. They're not discriminating against 80-year olds, they just want to appeal to a different, more profitable demographic.

Business in every country that has experienced a disgraceful scourge upon their respective societies have paid special attention to erradicating that scourge. In Germany, they've gone to great lengths to eliminate the scourge of Nazi sentimism and have appropriately placed restrictions upon the business community when it comes to 'courting & encouraging' those miscreants of society who sympathize with Nazism and all the ills it placed upon German society. Israel has done the same when it comes to 'courting & encouraging' Anti Semites and Holocaust Deniers. And America has taken the very same approach when dealing with this societies miscreant Racist class. Each of these nations has determined that ridding themselves of a shameful national scourge trumps making a buck. The idea is to not encourage this scourge by making it EASIER for them to live amongst the rest of us, but rather exactly the opposite. The nation realizes that you can't eradicate the scourge of racism by actively courting racists, just to make a buck. And that exactly what Levenson stated he desired to do. To court racists who might be staying away because they are uncomfortable around those who they possess racist views against. That's as big of a No No in the US as business actively courting Nazi Sympathizers in Germany, and Holocaust Deniers in Israel. The ultimate goal is to eliminate that scourge from society, not placate em - even to make a buck. Some things are more important than making a buck.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

Business in every country that has experienced a disgraceful scourge upon their respective societies have paid special attention to erradicating that scourge. In Germany, they've gone to great lengths to eliminate the scourge of Nazi sentimism and have appropriately placed restrictions upon the business community when it comes to 'courting & encouraging' those miscreants of society who sympathize with Nazism and all the ills it placed upon German society. Israel has done the same when it comes to 'courting & encouraging' Anti Semites and Holocaust Deniers. And America has taken the very same approach when dealing with this societies miscreant Racist class. Each of these nations has determined that ridding themselves of a shameful national scourge trumps making a buck. The idea is to not encourage this scourge by making it EASIER for them to live amongst the rest of us, but rather exactly the opposite. The nation realizes that you can't eradicate the scourge of racism by actively courting racists, just to make a buck. And that exactly what Levenson stated he desired to do. To court racists who might be staying away because they are uncomfortable around those who they possess racist views against. That's as big of a No No in the US as business actively courting Nazi Sympathizers in Germany, and Holocaust Deniers in Israel. The ultimate goal is to eliminate that scourge from society, not placate em - even to make a buck. Some things are more important than making a buck.

So you want to eliminate the scourge from society? White male 35-55 Atlantans that don't buy Hawks tickets are the "scourge" right? How do you propose to eliminate them? Shipping them on a container ship to a deserted island? Incarceration? Slip them the "needle"? Electro shock therapy? Or the good old standby, re-education camps? Now that we have identified the scourge (non-ticket buying white males 35-55) let the fun begin.
We all know that all white southerners are cross burning red neck inbreds right?

I, lived in Atlanta and So Cal for long periods of time, and while the racists in the south are much more vocal and up front about their views, I found California to be just as racist or more. People are just more circumspect about their beliefs.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject:

The biggest problem Levenson has for PR reasons is the distinct lack of experience within executive circles of the majority of the population. Kareem sees it, because Kareem has lived it. They're acting like he wrote these things as definitive statements rather than exploratory questions.

He wasn't seeing people as black, he was seeing them as dollar signs, which is how they see white people anyway. He's simply talking about means for increased capitalization of his market. If you feel equality is actually being treated entirely equal, perhaps your brain needs time to return to the reality dimension.

The ridiculous nature of the environment is that if he played country music and the market was disproportionately white, and he asked about including things more acceptable to black culture, he'd be called "racially inclusive" (oddly enough baseball is going through a situation very much like this....).
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
johnnyhandsome wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
TDRock wrote:
Note: I am a Black female professional.

I saw nothing even remotely racist about that email to the point where the whole time I was reading I was waiting for the racist part. There were somethings in there that were uncomfortable, but he even said that himself IN the email. Completely different situation from Sterling. I wish people would learn the meaning of the word "racist" and learn how it's different from bigotry or bias (which at most I would call the email biased in some regards). Folks are overusing the work "racist" to the point of it becoming meaningless.

Anyway, since he apparently "turned himself in" and submitted this completely nothing email to the league on his own accord, fully unprovoked out of the blue, I agree that something's up. He just must want out for whatever reason. (Just quit and sell then? Weird.)

I find is astounding that anyone could read that email and say that it was anything other than blatant racism.

""I think southern whites simply were not comfortable being in an arena or at a bar where they were in the minority" and "I have been open with our executive team about these concerns. I have told them I want some white cheerleaders and while I don't care what the color of the artist is, I want the music to be music familiar to a 40 year old white guy if that's our season [tickets] demo. I have also balked when every fan picked out of crowd to shoot shots in some time out contest is black. I have even [complained] that the kiss cam is too black."

Quite simply, Leavenson and the hawks have a problem: not enough butts in seats in general, and not enough season ticket holders in particular. And his analysis of the problem is quite direct: The African American portion of their demographic seems to be at a saturation level, while the Caucasion portion has dwindled. They have heavily marketed to a black audience, successfully, but he doesn’t feel they can exist successfully on that audience alone. He feels they need to market more to a white audience if they want to increase it. This seems reasonably factually based, although I admit I don’t have his data.

Here’s where his analysis begins to get uncomfortable. He thinks two issues are at play here: first, that the white demographic has been scared off by the black one, in his opinion, because the white audience is not used to being in the significant minority; and second, that the way in which they market doesn’t exactly help make the white audience feel welcome. His suggestions are to add some white cheerleaders, make sure some of the crowd PR “pulls” (kiss cam, halftime participants, etc.) are white, and make some of the music more appealing to a white audience. The first portion is uncomfortable because he is basically talking about the racial opinions of a demographic they need, but while he is cognizant of it, he doesn’t exactly come across as saying “we need to make this a white place, or chase away the black folks”. He takes the tack of going for inclusiveness, making whites feel more “at home”, but not shifting everything to them. He’s not talking about making all, or even a majority of the cheerleaders white, just some. He doesn’t ask for country music, just some music that a white audience would identify with. He asks to have the PR department show a few white faces on the cameras.

Oddly, if an executive noted all of these things in reverse (color wise), and wanted to take these steps to encourage a black customer base, no one would raise an eyebrow. If he wanted to hire a black cheerleader or two, and feature some black faces on the kiss cam, and play a bit of music that is popular with middle class black audiences, that would be seen as fine business thought.

I read the email in it's entirety and it's not as you describe. He didn't argue for moderation and diversity of experience. He strongly argued that the environment be made one in which whites would be comfortable and it would obviously have to come at the expense of the comfort of the black audience. He didn't argue for a bit of music that would be popular to white Southerners, but a change to a style of music that would appeal to the white Southern 40 y.o male. In other words, country and classic rock. He argues against Hip Hop and still bemoans that his efforts to reduce the number of blacks in the audience was still down to 40% from the previous 70%. He randomly mentions the lack of father/son duo's at games and suggests that blacks not only are more habitually late than whites but that we don't cheer with the same verve as whites.

I get it. He wants a white audience and wishes that in a city that is majority black, that the audience experience would cater to whites. Love me some classic rock at basketball games btw....But he has no data to suggest that even if he were to attain his dream state of less than 15% blacks, the team would be more profitable. As someone mentioned, professional sports just aren't big in Atlanta and that white demographic ain't gonna come out no matter the environment unless they draft Larry Bird, Jerry West and John Stockton.

So, yeah, his (bleep) was weak, racist, demeaning and even worse than Sterling's statements.

Thank you! All one has to do is read the whole Email to get a the context of what he's trying to say. Why bring up the 15% blacks in Washington for? He has no data and even admits it's just a hunch. He's talking about reducing the black influence in the arena based on a hunch that that is what is driving away the whites. Who seriously thinks that way? Who? Someone who has bigoted ways about him. Geez, read the email.

I'll let Kareem speak:

http://time.com/3296175/bruce-levenson-atlanta-hawks-racist-email-kareem-abdul-jabbar/

I remeber when Kareem said MDA would prove to be an excellent choice on his facebook.

His is only one opinion. And you know what they say about opinions.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject:

That they're only right if they match yours?
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
The biggest problem Levenson has for PR reasons is the distinct lack of experience within executive circles of the majority of the population. Kareem sees it, because Kareem has lived it. They're acting like he wrote these things as definitive statements rather than exploratory questions.

He wasn't seeing people as black, he was seeing them as dollar signs, which is how they see white people anyway. He's simply talking about means for increased capitalization of his market. If you feel equality is actually being treated entirely equal, perhaps your brain needs time to return to the reality dimension.

The ridiculous nature of the environment is that if he played country music and the market was disproportionately white, and he asked about including things more acceptable to black culture, he'd be called "racially inclusive" (oddly enough baseball is going through a situation very much like this....).
I don't think the problem is trying to be more racially inclusive towards whites, I don't think anyone is arguing against that so I don't understand what the point you are trying to make is. It was the characterization and stereotypes that he deliberately attributed to a race.

Quote:
Gradually things have changed. My unscientific guess is that our crowd is 40 pct black now, still four to five times all other teams. And my further guess is that 40 pct still feels like 70 pet to some whites at our games. Our bars are still overwhelmingly black.
and
Quote:
Then i start looking around at other arenas. It is completely different. Even DC with its affluent black community never has more than 15 pct black audience.

So he assumes that blacks are only 40 percent now, but that's still too much for him? He wants to get down to his magic number of 15?

Imagine if these same stereotypes and 'concerns' were being attributed to whites. I'm pretty sure there would be just as much backlash if there were claims like "White people are scaring away blacks and blacks aren't comfortable around whites, whites don't cheer as loudly as blacks (seriously? another one of his 'theories'?)" AND THEN trying to use that as justification to try to not only increase the amount of black people that show up to games, but actively suggesting that it would be beneficial to decrease the amount of white people at games. You honestly think there would be no backlash to that?

It's intellectually dishonest to try and frame this as an attempt at being inclusive of whites when it is actually about excluding blacks. Sure, I definitely think that it was due to profits and not because of any belief in blacks being racially inferior. Does that make it right though? The housing market also would probably be more financially successful if things like redlining were still occurring, so is the fair housing act a travesty? Neighborhoods would be more profitable if they were less black, so in the name of profits should they be allowed to discriminate against blacks on this basis? Even if the owner doesn't believe in this but rather believes that his white constituents do, I don't think it is acceptable at all to try to placate such racist and backwards people in the name of financial gain.

Edit: Long story short, I don't think his goal of attracting more white customers (or just customers period) and ticket holders is wrong at all. I'm pretty sure that we can all agree that he did not execute his email or word it very well at all, leaving what he is trying to say open to interpretation.

Last edited by The_Dynasty24 on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject:

^ I've been seeing random spam like that a lot more recently. Wonder what that's about. Nobody is clicking that damn link buddy
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
johnnyhandsome wrote:

Quote:

And that right there is the cruxt of it. He's clearly saying that profits should trump racism and he's obviously OK with courting racists as long as it makes him another buck. Imagine if he told the US govt that it was ok for his business to do business with Iran because HIS rights to profits trump what's in the national interest.

Which would be fine if it wasn't done in a way that would harm the victim of their racism. But basically, he wanted to bring in the racists, and make no mistake, the vast majority of white males in the South are still fighting the Civil War, and kick out the group that has actually been loyal to the organization. Again, institutional racism to the the very core.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject:

The_Dynasty24 wrote:

Imagine if these same stereotypes and 'concerns' were being attributed to whites. I'm pretty sure there would be just as much backlash if there were claims like "White people are scaring away blacks and blacks aren't comfortable around whites, whites don't cheer as loudly as blacks (seriously? another one of his 'theories'?)" AND THEN trying to use that as justification to try to not only increase the amount of black people that show up to games, but actively suggesting that it would be beneficial to decrease the amount of white people at games. You honestly think there would be no backlash to that?

No there wouldn't, who would complain? whilst the topic of Deng was certainly racist, the issue of Levenson has been pretty much entirely taken up by the self loathing white population, there seems a level of bemusement elsewhere.

Quote:
It's intellectually dishonest to try and frame this as an attempt at being inclusive of whites when it is actually about excluding blacks. Sure, I definitely think that it was due to profits and not because of any belief in blacks being racially inferior. Does that make it right though? The housing market also would probably be more financially successful if things like redlining were still occurring, so is the fair housing act a travesty?

Right isn't the word, Acceptable? yes it does, or at least it should be, and what he's suggesting is much closer to gentrification than redlining.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
johnnyhandsome wrote:

Quote:

And that right there is the cruxt of it. He's clearly saying that profits should trump racism and he's obviously OK with courting racists as long as it makes him another buck. Imagine if he told the US govt that it was ok for his business to do business with Iran because HIS rights to profits trump what's in the national interest.

Which would be fine if it wasn't done in a way that would harm the victim of their racism. But basically, he wanted to bring in the racists, and make no mistake, the vast majority of white males in the South are still fighting the Civil War, and kick out the group that has actually been loyal to the organization. Again, institutional racism to the the very core.

Online rule #4080

Vast majority = most = many = some

These quantities are interchangeable in any factual discussion on the internet

Racists aren't the target demographic for any spectator sport. Generally racists do not see their rooting interests satisfied in sport, and stop watching, note the '36 Olympics. Surely any southern male "still fighting the civil war" wouldn't be interested in dipping into his lumber-and-kerosene budget to see his supremacist views debased on a nightly basis, so I don't think you and Levenson have the same demographic in mind.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
johnnyhandsome wrote:

Quote:

Online rule #4080

Racists aren't the target demographic for any spectator sport. Generally racists do not see their rooting interests satisfied in sport, and stop watching, note the '36 Olympics. Surely any southern male "still fighting the civil war" wouldn't be interested in dipping into his lumber-and-kerosene budget to see his supremacist views debased on a nightly basis, so I don't think you and Levenson have the same demographic in mind.

When I say vast majority, I mean exactly that, including those well healed Southern whites Levenson so coveted.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject:

I don't see much, if anything, wrong with what he said considering the position he's in. You guys are probably right that he's looking for an excuse to cash out.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Quote:

Oh *eyeroll*. People make that mistake all the time my man is a Brit of Caribbean descent and he gets called African American all the time even by folks who know he's a Brit. Lol. I hate the term PC tho. Too many people use is as a discounter when people really ARE behaving badly.

You're wrong TD. Deng is a British citizen, not of British descent.

LINK

Quote:
Born in what is now South Sudan, Deng fled the country with his family as a child, moving to Egypt and then the United Kingdom, becming a British citizen in 2006.

Quote:
Deng was born in Wau, Sudan (now South Sudan) and is a member of the Dinka ethnic group.

Luol Deng Comments on Hawks, Danny Ferry Email Controversy

LINK

Read what HE says about his African connection.

Quote:
I'm proud to say I actually have a lot of African in me, not just "a little."

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

That has absolutely nothing to do with the Hawks, they aren't trying to elimnate any fan base, they are trying to attract a group that they haven't been able to.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
johnnyhandsome wrote:

Quote:

Online rule #4080

When I say vast majority, I mean exactly that, including those well healed Southern whites Levenson so coveted.

Generalizations are useful on a message board, not so in reality.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject:

Levinson, Sterling, that clown in Cleveland - some real high quality owners in the NBA. Kind of makes me grateful that the worst that can be said about our current owner is that he's an underachieving horse trainer who rode daddy's coattails.

Last edited by mirak on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Nordvader wrote:

Here's the full quote:

“He’s still a young guy overall,” “He’s a good guy overall. But he’s not perfect", “He has a little Jew in him, not in a bad way, but he’s a guy who would have a nice store out front, but sell you counterfeit stuff out of the back.”

Yep, just changing one word makes it a bit clearer to most just how bad the statement is.

Spot on. And we shouldn't have to change one word to explain that.

Ferry comes across as the guy who says, "I'm not prejudiced against (X), why, some of my best friends/ maids/ nannies are (X)".
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
TDRock wrote:
Quote:

Oh *eyeroll*. People make that mistake all the time my man is a Brit of Caribbean descent and he gets called African American all the time even by folks who know he's a Brit. Lol. I hate the term PC tho. Too many people use is as a discounter when people really ARE behaving badly.

LINK

Quote:
Born in what is now South Sudan, Deng fled the country with his family as a child, moving to Egypt and then the United Kingdom, becming a British citizen in 2006.

Quote:
Deng was born in Wau, Sudan (now South Sudan) and is a member of the Dinka ethnic group.

LINK

Quote:

You misquoted me and clearly mis-read what you even quoted from me above. I said MY man aka my HUSBAND is a Brit national of Caribbean descent (see quote above). So you didn't even get that part right, I never said anyone was of British descent. And then At the end of my post that you quoted me from, I CLEARLY said that Deng is a Brit national born in the Sudan.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
jodeke wrote:
TDRock wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Quote:

Quote:

LINK

Quote:

You misquoted me and clearly mis-read what you even quoted from me above. I said MY man aka my HUSBAND is a Brit national of Caribbean descent (see quote above). So you didn't even get that part right, I never said anyone was of British descent. And then At the end of my post that you quoted me from, I CLEARLY said that Deng is a Brit national born in the Sudan.

I didn't misquote you, I quoted what you wrote.

I did misread you. When you wrote "my man" I equated that to Denzel Washington saying in many of his films "My Man." and thought you were referring to Loul Deng.

Are you talking about Deng's mother when you say "My man?"

I didn't consider last bolded, my bad.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
TDRock wrote:
jodeke wrote:
TDRock wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Quote:

Quote:

LINK

Quote:

I didn't misquote you, I quoted what you wrote.
That's true, sorry. LOL. I was probably still salty over that waste of time ESP vs FRA FIBA game. LOLOL!
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

So you want to eliminate the scourge from society? White male 35-55 Atlantans that don't buy Hawks tickets are the "scourge" right? How do you propose to eliminate them? Shipping them on a container ship to a deserted island? Incarceration? Slip them the "needle"? Electro shock therapy? Or the good old standby, re-education camps? Now that we have identified the scourge (non-ticket buying white males 35-55) let the fun begin.
We all know that all white southerners are cross burning red neck inbreds right?

I, lived in Atlanta and So Cal for long periods of time, and while the racists in the south are much more vocal and up front about their views, I found California to be just as racist or more. People are just more circumspect about their beliefs.

Ahem, no. The scourge on society are the racists, no matter their age. All White males 35-55 Atlantans are most definitely NOT racist and would not be moved to stay away from attending an NBA game because a minority of the crowd was African American. Only racists would be so moved. Currently the largest demographic represented in the audience at Atlanta Hawk games are white males, and they clearly are not intimidated by the presence of their fellow Americans who represent a smaller minority demographic in attendance. 35-55 white male Atlantans is a demographic that you DO wish to attract. 35-55 white male RACISTS are NOT a demographic you wish to cater to.

Society has done a good job of ridding itself of the cancer of racism and just like treating a patient with any cancer, it's best to not just let the cancer hang around and mutate. You want to rid the patient of the cancer completely and racism is one of societies most malignant cancer. It needs to be eradicated just like any other pestilence. Comforting a cancer and providing it with a comfortable environment to survive is equally as dumb as courting a racist and providing it with a comfortable environment to survive. Yet that's exactly what Levenson desired to do for the sake of making a buck. It's like having a daughter that's being treated for cancer that catches national attention, then wanting to prolong the cancer so you can continue to maximize the profits from all the exposure she's getting. That's how absurd it is to court racists for a buck. The disease needs to be eradicated and making a buck isn't a reason to slow the eradication.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Well they were identified as people that don't buy tiçkets , who like other than rap music and who like white cheer leaders. Are those indicators of racism? Also there are some in this thread who would have you believe that "the vast majority" of white southerners males are racists (I think in the interest of sexual equality that white females should be included as well). He bases his findings on discussions he has with like minded friends and associates.

How are you going to pinpoint the scourges so that you can eliminate them? Is there some scientific method or is it just one of those I know em when I see em things? Or is it like the other poster sweep with a big broom and get em all. Also you didn't select your prefered form of elimination. Please feel free to elaborate.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: