Lakers #1 Court Design According To Grantland
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Lakers #1 Court Design According To Grantland

We're #1! But seriously, I love the design and Zach Lowe, he of Celtics fandom chose the Lakers over the Celtics.

http://grantland.com/features/nba-court-design-power-rankings/
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject:

I like the Hawks one the most. Looks like a lot of teams have new courts for next year
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject:

Are the Lakers still doing that shadow lighting? That was cool.
mporter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject:

I'm partial to Brooklyn's court design...IMO it stands out the most yet is pretty simplistic in its design/logo.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject:

mporter wrote:
I'm partial to Brooklyn's court design...IMO it stands out the most yet is pretty simplistic in its design/logo.

The herringbone is pretty stunning. Haven't made it out there yet but will try to one of these days.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject:

I liked the way PHX wrote "SUNS" so you could read it from either side, but they really should have use purple instead of black.

Naturally I like ours the best. Followed by BRK. I think CHI's should have been much lower. Too many bull heads
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:

I've always liked Zach Lowe

!...
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject:

I'm inclined to say anything bearing the Lakers logo on it will look more beautiful than any other thing that doesn't. The Staples court did look really nice until they added that gruesome "L" abortion, which you'll find replaces the true Lakers logo on a swap meet tanktop that some clueless illegal immigrant is wearing while he tries to peddle you a fake ID near MacArthur Park.

The Kings uniforms and court look like some sh__y Corel Draw design that a soccer mom forgot to delete off of a flash drive after turning it in as her final and receiving a B+ in a community college Graphic Design class in 1994.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM

Last edited by C M B on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject:

Best overall court design?
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject:

I'm a fan of Atlanta and Philadelphia's courts. Of course, the Lakers court is correctly placed at #1

Brooklyn's design is a bit too trendy for me - very reminiscent of a trendy coffee boutique or something like that. Perhaps it's perfect for the "new" Brooklyn in that regard.

And in my completely unbiased (heh) opinion...the Celtics court is ugly and so is their logo. But it is historically significant and thus overrated through sentimentality.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject:

I love our court but I don't like the stars around the logo, makes it look too Glolbetrotterish.
ricardoJPC
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject:

I'm european and i've only been in the states two times.the First time, i went just to see a lakers game: the court is really beatiful, the colours, the lights and introduction are perfect! Too bad i travelled 12 hours to see the lakers get spanked by the clippers :/
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
I love our court but I don't like the stars around the logo, makes it look too Glolbetrotterish.

True. Keep it simple as possible.

I'm cool with the look of the Laker court especially in Big City Nights lighting or whatever they call that sh. Still love the yellow 80s court with the orange/red font. Couldn't get more inyoface than yellow overload, that court was like the fins on a 59 Caddy, like an "fu" to anyone who liked their NBA courts muted. You know me, I love the 80s. Instead of Staples Center, I think we should call it The Staples and we should have orange and yellow seats. Screw the black.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
I'm inclined to say anything bearing the Lakers logo on it will look more beautiful than any other thing that doesn't. The Staples court did look really nice until they added that gruesome "L" abortion, which you'll find replaces the true Lakers logo on a swap meet tanktop that some clueless illegal immigrant is wearing while he tries to peddle you a fake ID near MacArthur Park.

The Kings uniforms and court look like some sh__y Corel Draw design that a soccer mom forgot to delete off of a flash drive after turning it in as her final and receiving a B+ in a community college Graphic Design class in 1994.

Dennis Miller himself would get aroused by this level of imagery.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

And in my completely unbiased (heh) opinion...the Celtics court is ugly and so is their logo. But it is historically significant and thus overrated through sentimentality.

I hate the Celtics as much as anyone, but I still have reverence for their old rat trap Garden and the worn down floor they had. Great grunge. I find myself missing that because grunge doesn't exist anymore. It died in 1994 in both music and basketball arenas. This ain't the first time I've ranted about this either. Up to the mid 90s, many arenas had distinctiveness. You could tell what building it was from the design or the ceiling or some other non-standard feature. Buildings today are all cookie cutter. Can't remember any of their names because they're all corporate. The floors and unis often overreach. No nod to clean and classic look. EG: I've gotten a number of Laker @ Jazz gms from a local Jazz fan. This dude must've had a dish and a superb VCR. Among the cleanest taped gms, audio and video. Anyway, the Jazz's old purple court with the Mardi Gras color scheme looked beautiful. Their uniforms and logo were simple.

Around the mid 90s, they were one of the teams to adopt a totally new, fug color scheme, logo, and unis. Now they're one of those very teams that are hearkening back to their old shh because they never should've gotten rid of it. Franchises like Utah should never mess around with ANYthing that you could distinguish as traditional because franchises like Utah rarely have any tradition. Sonics were another one, going away from those instantly recognizable green/yellow schemes to that red/green/brown crap. Detroit going away from red/blue to that turquoise/magenta/horrific logo. Pistons, Sixers, Rockets, Jazz (to an extent), Wizards all going back to basics in recent years.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
mporter wrote:

The herringbone is pretty stunning. Haven't made it out there yet but will try to one of these days.

Laker partisan attitude aside, I love the Brooklyn court with its herring bone design. The only think I don't like is the "B" in the logo. It just doesn't seem to be the right proportion or font.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mporter wrote:

Laker partisan attitude aside, I love the Brooklyn court with its herring bone design. The only think I don't like is the "B" in the logo. It just doesn't seem to be the right proportion or font.

I don't like the "B" logo either. Looks like something a kid in an intro graphic design class could come up with in 15 minutes. I get that they're going for the "clean cut, simple" look, but it just looks unprofessional IMO.

I do really like the rest of their court design though.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject:

LeBronte Jest wrote:
Best overall court design?

Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Corel Draw design that a soccer mom forgot to delete off of a flash drive after turning it in as her final and receiving a B+ in a community college Graphic Design class in 1994.

Lmfao.

You mean floppy disk though
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject:

That was the first time I've ever used "lmfao". Well worth the wait.
-Showtime-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject:

I especially like the way the court colors stand out when the arena is packed. It highlights what's going on in the court and makes it pop.

The only thing missing are some giant staples holding down the basketball posts.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject:

The logo is too big and not sure why anyone ever thought purple and teal were complimentary colors, but I do like the honeycomb floor pattern for the Hornets.

The Rockets really need to dump that Yao Ming-era "R" logo. It achieves a rare one-two punch of being both ugly and boring at the same time.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject:

They're all basically the same design, so it really just boils down to how well you like their logo and color scheme. I loved the old Hornets design.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject:

The Brooklyn court stands out to me, by quite a distance in fact. Nonetheless, it's good to see the Lakers get respect for something.

The corporate logos are an eyesore in most arenas, but the Staples red is particularly annoying considering how badly it craps on the rest of the Laker color scheme. That's a Clipper color that fits well with their mediocre court. Necessary evil I guess.

Can't stand the Rockets' or the Cav's courts - pretty much scream UGLY with a megaphone. My eyes still hurt from seeing them.

Charlotte's honeycomb court - I'm curious how that translates in person or on TV. I like the originality.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers #1 Court Design According To Grantland

yinoma2001 wrote:
We're #1! But seriously, I love the design and Zach Lowe, he of Celtics fandom chose the Lakers over the Celtics.

http://grantland.com/features/nba-court-design-power-rankings/

I wonder why. To me our court took a serious step backwards when we added white lines and the stupid "L" logo in the corners.

I think the true "Lakers" script on the baselines is an improvement, but why have white lines when we could just flip the color scheme and have all purple and gold?

Gold in the key, gold on the baselines, all purple lines.

Makes too much sense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: