Lakers #1 Court Design According To Grantland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
The logo is too big and not sure why anyone ever thought purple and teal were complimentary colors, but I do like the honeycomb floor pattern for the Hornets.

The Rockets really need to dump that Yao Ming-era "R" logo. It achieves a rare one-two punch of being both ugly and boring at the same time.

Plus it looks more like it's bleeding than a rocket taking off.

Red and white is simply a horrible color scheme, unless you're Alabama or Stanford. The Rockets seriously downgraded their whole look after their '95 title.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
They're all basically the same design, so it really just boils down to how well you like their logo and color scheme. I loved the old Hornets design.

I wonder why the NBA did that? It seems like they've made it a priority to homogenize all the court designs. Corporate crap near mid court, GIGANTIC team logo at center court, team name on the baseline.

I thought the old variations were cooler. It would be pretty interesting to see a mockup of a new Staples Center floor that was modeled on the old forum court.

A golden circle at center court with a silhouette of Staples Center in the middle, with "S T A P L E S" on the top and "C E N T E R" underneath. True Laker logo (not that stupid "L" thing) where the Staples Center logos are now.
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
They're all basically the same design, so it really just boils down to how well you like their logo and color scheme. I loved the old Hornets design.

Thank you. My thoughts exactly. The writer rambling in design language reminded me of American Psycho's business card scene.
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
TAKAHIRO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject:

Staples does need to update its led banner inside the arena, you know where they display ads. Also I'd like to see them install some of led court banners (?), you can see these at Jazz games behind photographers, I think they're cool. Colors bouncing off the hardwood makes pictures more sharp
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject:

His choices seemed arbitrary at best. And he tried talking about stuff as if he were a designer but never explained any of his theories.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject:

TAKAHIRO wrote:
Staples does need to update its led banner inside the arena, you know where they display ads. Also I'd like to see them install some of led court banners (?), you can see these at Jazz games behind photographers, I think they're cool. Colors bouncing off the hardwood makes pictures more sharp

Ad banners make a basketball court look more interesting to you?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Jazz have the worst one IMO. It looks so D-league.
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
I've always liked Zach Lowe

A really good hoops reporter ...uses analytics but doesnt go crazy.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject:

Killakobe81 wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
I've always liked Zach Lowe

A really good hoops reporter ...uses analytics but doesnt go crazy.

He has a Grantland podcast. Really good stuff.
L.A.M.B
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject:

i miss when weaker teams had paint inside the three point line

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9270/raptorsf.png

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww11/67turkey142/Vector%20courts/Charlotte1998.png
Quartz888
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject:

I think the Bulls' court should be number 2.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
I'm inclined to say anything bearing the Lakers logo on it will look more beautiful than any other thing that doesn't. The Staples court did look really nice until they added that gruesome "L" abortion, which you'll find replaces the true Lakers logo on a swap meet tanktop that some clueless illegal immigrant is wearing while he tries to peddle you a fake ID near MacArthur Park.

The Kings uniforms and court look like some sh__y Corel Draw design that a soccer mom forgot to delete off of a flash drive after turning it in as her final and receiving a B+ in a community college Graphic Design class in 1994.

Don't be raggin' on Community Colleges. WLAC here boooyyyy!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject:

PrairieAve wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Thank you. My thoughts exactly. The writer rambling in design language reminded me of American Psycho's business card scene.

(whispering): Look at that subtle off-white coloring...
ADA32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject:

No doubt, they have same basic design features.
However, I love that Purple and Gold combo with theater lighting system.
They made you feel like attending a spectacular event!.
Lakers rocks...
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject:

mporter wrote:
I'm partial to Brooklyn's court design...IMO it stands out the most yet is pretty simplistic in its design/logo.

Yea, the Brooklyn design and the Spurs are my favorites along with the Buck's and the Lakers. The Lakers colors are probably as good as it gets, but the design of Brooklyn's wood floor, parquet and black, is really sharp.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject:

like that Hornets honeycomb design ......
Den Sol
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers #1 Court Design According To Grantland

yinoma2001 wrote:
We're #1! But seriously, I love the design and Zach Lowe, he of Celtics fandom chose the Lakers over the Celtics.

http://grantland.com/features/nba-court-design-power-rankings/

Lakers court looks great. I like the Bulls' too.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject:

An exciting but bygone feature of the NBA's faded product was the diversity in presentation of team stadiums around the country, both in the aesthetic design of the buildings themselves and the various camera angles. While not having quite the novelty/history of MLB stadiums, some arenas were unique enough to add to the televised broadcast. Remember how Market Square in Indianapolis had that banking seat pattern that just "ended" at the wall? That was cool to see. Or how even an awful arena like the Alamodome looked so damned voluminous and vast on TV. The O-Rena's house light pattern, the United Center reminded me of the starship enterprise. I got a kick out of little stuff like that. Some of them still exist but most of the modern (2000-) arenas are fairly uniform, even in person.

I think my favorite non-Lakers court of all time belongs to the 90s Suns @ America West:

http://forums.nba-live.com/dl_mod/thumbs/4704_1992-93%20American%20West%20Arena%20Anniversary%20in%20Phoenix.jpg

Beautiful logo and great color scheme. It also helped that the Suns were NBA Jam's default team, so maybe there's some nostalgic bias there.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Or how even an awful arena like the Alamodome looked so damned voluminous and vast on TV.

What's weird is that HemisFair was horrible too. It looked like a Forum ripoff; as if the construction foreman lost the blueprint and they had to go from memory. They had posts all around the upper section that blocked vision for swaths of fans. I remember a Spur hick posting pictures of the interior before they demolished it and it was unbelievable how there was an NBA arena with a feature signifying such poor design, and they used it til 93 before they moved to Alamo. Getting funding for their current building must've been a B.

I liked the Portland Coliseum. Little 10K shoebox, square shaped. That was a loud ass arena, no doubt. Phx Memorial was interesting as well. Low roof that showed on TV with the acoustic tiles. It had the appearance of a school gym. Another loud arena. Speaking of loud, Salt Palace gets my nod. Those nuts were on the Lakers backs in that 88 series from a 2-0 score on, standing Os on the first score of the game and unrelenting. They may have let a lot of 24 yellow Kobe jerseys into the new building these days, but back then Charlie definitely had his shh together.

Eastern buildings, I'd have to go with the Gaahden and Chicago Stadium. A lot of character, built back when everything went thru The Commodore. Built to be loud and obnoxious.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
C M B wrote:
Or how even an awful arena like the Alamodome looked so damned voluminous and vast on TV.

What's weird is that HemisFair was horrible too. It looked like a Forum ripoff; as if the construction foreman lost the blueprint and they had to go from memory. They had posts all around the upper section that blocked vision for swaths of fans. I remember a Spur hick posting pictures of the interior before they demolished it and it was unbelievable how there was an NBA arena with a feature signifying such poor design, and they used it til 93 before they moved to Alamo. Getting funding for their current building must've been a B.

I liked the Portland Coliseum. Little 10K shoebox, square shaped. That was a loud ass arena, no doubt. Phx Memorial was interesting as well. Low roof that showed on TV with the acoustic tiles. It had the appearance of a school gym. Another loud arena. Speaking of loud, Salt Palace gets my nod. Those nuts were on the Lakers backs in that 88 series from a 2-0 score on, standing Os on the first score of the game and unrelenting. They may have let a lot of 24 yellow Kobe jerseys into the new building these days, but back then Charlie definitely had his shh together.

Eastern buildings, I'd have to go with the Gaahden and Chicago Stadium. A lot of character, built back when everything went thru The Commodore. Built to be loud and obnoxious.

Chicago stadium had the most genuinely ruckus indoor crowd I've ever seen. Delta Center was loud, but it was "stupid" noise a la Sacramento & OKC: stay-at-home-moms cheering for baskets after stoppages in play because they don't know what the whistles mean.

Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject:

The only design that matters:

http://1.cdn.nhle.com/wild/images/upload/gallery/2014/01/On-The-Road-011_slide.jpg
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

Chicago stadium had the most genuinely ruckus indoor crowd I've ever seen. Delta Center was loud, but it was "stupid" noise a la Sacramento & OKC: stay-at-home-moms cheering for baskets after stoppages in play because they don't know what the whistles mean.

Forgot to scat about the camera angle thing you mentioned above. Salt Palace and HemisFair, again, had the weirdest. Salt Palace's camera position was practically in line with the baseline to the L of your screen. Every trip down court, they had to pan to the R side with a harsh tangential angle. HemisFair's primary midcourt camera was in the clouds. I'm sure you remember, but the players looked like ants from that angle and they had to push it up so high because the only other place to position a front camera at midcourt was so low that a standing crowd got in front of it. When Byron won a gm with a buzzer 3 in 1990, KCAL used that low position and the play almost got completely blocked off. By luck, he put up the shot right between two standing fans so the play wasn't lost for all time. I have multiple @ SA gms so I know KCAL pushed the cam up to the high point in 92.

Again, both situations were caused by poor design. Now, obviously everything is homogenized. I see in old games little equipment differences that are interesting. CapitalCentre had the 24 clocks on high wires to the far left of each basket. Non-Bullets couldn't locate the 24s instantly. Even the basket structures weren't non-standard then. HemisFair, again, had these ancient ABA stanchions that looked like jungle gym bars with a circle of padding around them like the pad in the middle of a bike's handlebars. LA Sports Arena had guidewires stabilizing the glass, a thing probably left over from the 60s. I think Shaq was the force that encouraged standardization of all basket structures by tearing up two of them as a rook. Mecca Arena in Milwaukee had actual 1-piece wooden benches for the players until the very end. Richfield Coliseum had these silly ass literal box seats around the floor. They were a box around each seat with wide wooden armrests with a cup holder, giving the illusion of a special seat. That's all they could do back then to evoke the notion of luxury boxes.

Another unique building I forgot above was the Pontiac Silverdome. Worked better than Alamodome because it had a more functional layout for basketball, fewer unusable sightlines. Unique because of the roof that let so much light in on day games. Looked like outdoor lighting. Plus, they filled that puppy up back then. I think it owns most of the top single game attendance marks.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
I'm inclined to say anything bearing the Lakers logo on it will look more beautiful than any other thing that doesn't. The Staples court did look really nice until they added that gruesome "L" abortion, which you'll find replaces the true Lakers logo on a swap meet tanktop that some clueless illegal immigrant is wearing while he tries to peddle you a fake ID near MacArthur Park.

Donald Sterling and Danny Ferry would love you.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
C M B wrote:

Forgot to scat about the camera angle thing you mentioned above. Salt Palace and HemisFair, again, had the weirdest. Salt Palace's camera position was practically in line with the baseline to the L of your screen. Every trip down court, they had to pan to the R side with a harsh tangential angle. HemisFair's primary midcourt camera was in the clouds. I'm sure you remember, but the players looked like ants from that angle and they had to push it up so high because the only other place to position a front camera at midcourt was so low that a standing crowd got in front of it. When Byron won a gm with a buzzer 3 in 1990, KCAL used that low position and the play almost got completely blocked off. By luck, he put up the shot right between two standing fans so the play wasn't lost for all time. I have multiple @ SA gms so I know KCAL pushed the cam up to the high point in 92.

Again, both situations were caused by poor design. Now, obviously everything is homogenized. I see in old games little equipment differences that are interesting. CapitalCentre had the 24 clocks on high wires to the far left of each basket. Non-Bullets couldn't locate the 24s instantly. Even the basket structures weren't non-standard then. HemisFair, again, had these ancient ABA stanchions that looked like jungle gym bars with a circle of padding around them like the pad in the middle of a bike's handlebars. LA Sports Arena had guidewires stabilizing the glass, a thing probably left over from the 60s. I think Shaq was the force that encouraged standardization of all basket structures by tearing up two of them as a rook. Mecca Arena in Milwaukee had actual 1-piece wooden benches for the players until the very end. Richfield Coliseum had these silly ass literal box seats around the floor. They were a box around each seat with wide wooden armrests with a cup holder, giving the illusion of a special seat. That's all they could do back then to evoke the notion of luxury boxes.

Another unique building I forgot above was the Pontiac Silverdome. Worked better than Alamodome because it had a more functional layout for basketball, fewer unusable sightlines. Unique because of the roof that let so much light in on day games. Looked like outdoor lighting. Plus, they filled that puppy up back then. I think it owns most of the top single game attendance marks.

Niiiice observations. Re: camera angles I wanted to add that MSG still has its cameras in a high location that makes any game there look great on TV.

The Silverdome is part of what made Wrestlemania III so cool. It might as well have been outdoors, the way it looked.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

The Silverdome is part of what made Wrestlemania III so cool. It might as well have been outdoors, the way it looked.

I know I saw every Wrestlemania until 89, but my mind was swimmin reading some of those matches, man. For example, I do not recall Bundy getting DQ'd for attacking a midget wrestler smartly named Little Beaver, but wiki says it happened. Was Bundy too hard on The Beaver or did the ref overreact?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: