Ryan Kelly Q&A - Wes Johnson working out with Kobe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alpha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Ryan Kelly Q&A - Wes Johnson working out with Kobe

link

Cool stuff from/about Kelly but liked hearing this: "... (Wesley Johnson) was up there working out with him in Anaheim ..."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:

I haven't given up on Wes, or X for that matter. I think X can be a good role player and that Wes just needs to find his niche.
Alpha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I haven't given up on Wes, or X for that matter. I think X can be a good role player and that Wes just needs to find his niche.

I agree. I think Wes did extremely well when he broke on the scene in LA ... until the team's health fell apart (again) and he was called on to do things outside of his role.

With hopefully better health this season and the re-infusion of Mr Bryant I am excited for him to be the productive Ariza like plug the teams needs at the 3.

X is a talent. If he can stay healthy he's a legit threat off the bench.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject:

Alpha wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I agree. I think Wes did extremely well when he broke on the scene in LA ... until the team's health fell apart (again) and he was called on to do things outside of his role.

With hopefully better health this season and the re-infusion of Mr Bryant I am excited for him to be the productive Ariza like plug the teams needs at the 3.

Agreed w/ both of you. And I'd like to add there is something I like about Ryan Kelly as well. I hope he gets opportunities to get better this season
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jamnjb
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Ryan Kelly

Ryan Kelly finished the year ninth among rookies in minutes (22.8), seventh in points (8.0) and field goal percentage (42.3), 11th in rebounds (3.7), fifth in 3-point field goal percentage (33.8) and third in free throw percentage (81.5). He was also 10th or 12th in block shots among rookies.
So the Lakers got a top 10 overall rookie at the 46th pick. Has to be one of, if not THE steal of the draft. Good work by the Lakers scouting dept.

Last edited by jamnjb on Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject:

Wes is like our Thabo Sefolosha - I want to see him just lock in on defense and make that his calling card, then chip in here and there on offense. X is just a wrecking ball and I love seeing him attacking the rim on offense - especially as part of a dynamic bench unit with Swaggy that can come in and put up points. I like both of them and hope the Lakers can help them define their roles and excel in them.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Alpha wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Agreed w/ both of you. And I'd like to add there is something I like about Ryan Kelly as well. I hope he gets opportunities to get better this season

I liked most of what I saw from Ryan Kelly last year. Even if he doesn't get a lot of playing time this year, I hope he is patient and works on his strength and shooting and continues to develop. Hopefully Boozer has a couple more productive years and can mentor Randle and Kelly so they can take over.

I wish Randle and Kelly could become a decent Forward combo for the Lakers. Kind of an unorthodox pair where the taller guy is the shooter and the shorter guy (if Randle can play "small" forward) is the one who posts up. But hopefully Randle works on his shot. We saw how Blake Griffin has improved his outside game for the Clippers, hopefully Randle can also.
jamnjb
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:

I wish Randle and Kelly could become a decent Forward combo for the Lakers. Kind of an unorthodox pair where the taller guy is the shooter and the shorter guy (if Randle can play "small" forward) is the one who posts up. But hopefully Randle works on his shot. We saw how Blake Griffin has improved his outside game for the Clippers, hopefully Randle can also.

I remember Scott saying something about players being just guards, maybe this will work in the frontcourt as well, being just forwards and playing to their strengths. I like this combo, add Davis and these could be your bigs off the bench. Strong young group with a variety of skills. I can't wait for this season.
Alpha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan Kelly

jamnjb wrote:
Ryan Kelly finished the year ninth among rookies in minutes (22.8), seventh in points (8.0) and field goal percentage (42.3), 11th in rebounds (3.7), fifth in 3-point field goal percentage (33.8) and third in free throw percentage (81.5). He was also 10th or 12th in block shots among rookies.
So the Lakers got a top 10 overall rookie at the 46th pick. Has to be one of, if not THE steal of the draft. Good work by the Lakers scouting dept.

Although a lot of his success stems from the unfortunate injury stricken enviornment that decimated last year's roster, Ryan really proved Mitch & gang's talent evaluation abilities true. He like Randle's stock dropped due to injuries.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan Kelly

Alpha wrote:
jamnjb wrote:

Although a lot of his success stems from the unfortunate injury stricken enviornment that decimated last year's roster, Ryan really proved Mitch & gang's talent evaluation abilities true. He like Randle's stock dropped due to injuries.

Yeah, that's why I feel that Ryan Kelly is kind of like the forgotten man on the Lakers. If he continues to improve like most second year players should, that should make the Lakers even stronger than people are expecting.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject:

IF, IF, IF Wes can give us...

(a) 10 and 4 in about 25-28 minutes a game;
(b) solid 3 shooting off of outlets from Kobe, Boozer, Hill, and Randle; and
(c) consistent, reliable, effective defense, both individually and in help situations...

then I have no problem with him starting next to Kobe and Lin. With Kobe's age and Lin's defensive flaws, we need a long-armed, 3 and D wing on the floor.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Wes is like our Thabo Sefolosha - I want to see him just lock in on defense and make that his calling card, then chip in here and there on offense.

While Wes has the talent to do that, he doesn't have the toughness for it from what I've seen. To lock someone down, you have to be willing to get right up in their jersey, grab, elbow, and not be afraid of retaliation. Guys like Kobe, Metta, Thabo have it, but not a lot of guys in the NBA do. Wes avoids contact even when he's on offense.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan Kelly

Lakerpark wrote:
Alpha wrote:
jamnjb wrote:

Yeah, that's why I feel that Ryan Kelly is kind of like the forgotten man on the Lakers. If he continues to improve like most second year players should, that should make the Lakers even stronger than people are expecting.

He's forgotten because I try to forget; he keeps missing time with those feet problems and I wouldn't think we should count on him for much. He's memorable for some quality play when healthy but dang, he's missed time for three seasons from foot injuries. Big men and bad feet at a young age are a combination that rarely goes well for a basketball player, nor for the team that relies on him.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Wes is my early candidate for Byron's doghouse. If he couldn't play well in an uptempo system that minimized his deficiencies like MDA's I can't see how he's going to excel under a ball-buster like Scott.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Wes is my early candidate for Byron's doghouse. If he couldn't play well in an uptempo system that minimized his deficiencies like MDA's I can't see how he's going to excel under a ball-buster like Scott.

He increased his production in almost every statistical category last year.

He's not a guy who can create his own shot. I think he fits in better this year next to Kobe and Lin than he did last year on a team without much real structure other than "RUN!"
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

He increased his production in almost every statistical category last year.

and still was a disappointment IMO, defensively in particular. I don't see him performing better in a slowed down halfcourt system. He just isn't smart or patient enough. It takes a special mental toughness too to be a spot up shooter when the ball movement is minimal.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject:

i don't want to hear anything optimistic about his offense. lol. how many more years are we going to come up with dream scenarios offensively for this guy? I'm all for dreaming about his defensive potential, tho. It's easier to improve on the defensive side of the ball. And unlike on offense, he can actually succeed on that end based on his strength - his athleticism.
He really needs to strive to be the best lock down wing defender in the league. Try to be great at something bro, c'mon. Prove the haters wrong already.. you got the potential. the hell is wrong with you
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
i don't want to hear anything optimistic about his offense. lol. how many more years are we going to come up with dream scenarios offensively for this guy? I'm all for dreaming about his defensive potential, tho. It's easier to improve on the defensive side of the ball. And unlike on offense, he can actually succeed on that end based on his strength - his athleticism.
He really needs to strive to be the best lock down wing defender in the league. Try to be great at something bro, c'mon. Prove the haters wrong already.. you got the potential. the hell is wrong with you

He might be one of those players who can only excel defensively if he's in the right mind offensively. Again, it comes down to mental toughness. I don't think he has it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan Kelly

Wilkes52 wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
Alpha wrote:
jamnjb wrote:

He's forgotten because I try to forget; he keeps missing time with those feet problems and I wouldn't think we should count on him for much. He's memorable for some quality play when healthy but dang, he's missed time for three seasons from foot injuries. Big men and bad feet at a young age are a combination that rarely goes well for a basketball player, nor for the team that relies on him.

He injured the foot at the end of his junior year, it didn't heal and he had a procedure his senior year, but he was completely fine as a rookie. Not sure where you're getting your facts. His troubles lasted about a year from an injury, and he shows no signs of problems now.
Alpha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

He might be one of those players who can only excel defensively if he's in the right mind offensively. Again, it comes down to mental toughness. I don't think he has it.

Dang with the bolded part above and Wilkes52's post I had to pause and think if I menatlly lost a couple of years. The guy just played his rookie season last year ... at the beginning of the season he was thought to be on the mend and then sitting most of the year to learn and possibly blossom into a keeper.

The team ended up calling his number and he responded and exceeded expectations.

Now we're writing the guy off?! Strange. No one said he's Kobe's replacement. Regarding him not being able to play for BScott? ! Isn't he going to run the Princeton? A thinking man's/bball IQ system? He should excel.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject:

Alpha wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Dang with the bolded part above and Wilkes52's post I had to pause and think if I menatlly lost a couple of years. The guy just played his rookie season last year ... at the beginning of the season he was thought to be on the mend and then sitting most of the year to learn and possibly blossom into a keeper.

The team ended up calling his number and he responded and exceeded expectations.

Now we're writing the guy off?! Strange. No one said he's Kobe's replacement. Regarding him not being able to play for BScott? ! Isn't he going to run the Princeton? A thinking man's/bball IQ system? He should excel.

I think greenfrog and keepit were talking about Wesley Johnson, whereas wilkes52 was talking about Ryan Kelly.

Just a misunderstanding here
jamnjb
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject:

Alpha wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I think keepit is talking about Johnson and alpha is talking about Kelly.
Alpha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Alpha wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I think greenfrog and keepit were talking about Wesley Johnson, whereas wilkes52 was talking about Ryan Kelly.

Just a misunderstanding here
Ahh, thanks! Not the 1st time (this morning) that I've missed the boat.

That still, I believe Wes is more of an off ball, opportunistic scorer where last season, due to injuries, he was called on to be one of the featured/primary scorers. I thnk if he's on the court with Kobe, etc. looked at as the scorers, he can focus on playing D and filling secondary roles.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject:

I wish we had Wesley Johnson locked up for more than one year for cheap. There is every reason to believe that his value is going to be inflated after this season now that he will be playing among better players in the starting lineup.

If he ends up giving us something like 12/6 on good shooting percentages (which is a very reasonable expectation), some GM might offer him way more money than we'll care to spend. That would really really annoy me.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:
I wish we had Wesley Johnson locked up for more than one year for cheap. There is every reason to believe that his value is going to be inflated after this season now that he will be playing among better players in the starting lineup.

If he ends up giving us something like 12/6 on good shooting percentages (which is a very reasonable expectation), some GM might offer him way more money than we'll care to spend. That would really really annoy me.

Of course, if you lock him up now (at a figure he will accept) and he doesn't perform, you're on the hook.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: