Starters penned in by Coach Scott
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject:

Nash has to start to keep himself warm. If he comes off the bench he will be stiff and get injured even quicker.
alwayz_chillin_27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject:

At this point in his career nash is better suited coming off the bench playing against second-tier competition. the starters can run the hybrid Princeton offense while the bench can run n gun with steve nash

Nash
Young
Randle
Kelly
Davis
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Nash has to start to keep himself warm. If he comes off the bench he will be stiff and get injured even quicker.

I don't know if you are making that up or not but I've never heard of that and doubt it's true.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I don't know if you are making that up or not but I've never heard of that and doubt it's true.

Yes its true, and I have heard it said many times. If a player has a bad back like Nash, its best to get him on the court after warm ups because their body is warm. If they go sit on the bench for 10 minutes they stiffen up.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject:

I think Nash will play the first 6 minutes or so of the first and third quarters, and not play much in the 2nd and 4th.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Yes its true, and I have heard it said many times. If a player has a bad back like Nash, its best to get him on the court after warm ups because their body is warm. If they go sit on the bench for 10 minutes they stiffen up.

Honestly I don't see Nash's contributions to the team being so great that risking a stiffening back is worth putting him in the starting lineup. Nash vs guys like westbrook, rose, wall, lillard, chris paul is not ideal at all. At least Lin will give us his youth and energy on defense.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
I think Nash will play the first 6 minutes or so of the first and third quarters, and not play much in the 2nd and 4th.

Part of this has to be the FO hoping and praying that Nash can contribute something to justify his contract and draft picks that we surrendered for him (could be a lottery pick this year).

They didn't trade him last year, or stretch him, so they're hoping Nash will have one good year so the whole debacle isn't 100% of a debacle (just a 80% one ).

This is not like having other HOFers like Mitch Richmond sitting on the bench (who was younger than Nash too). It's the fact a $10m player who cost us multiple 1st round picks is sitting there in a suit, for basically 3 years in a row (for the record I supported the Nash trade).

It's a hope that Nash's play can be somewhat of a face saving move for an otherwise dismal trade.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Honestly I don't see Nash's contributions to the team being so great that risking a stiffening back is worth putting him in the starting lineup. Nash vs guys like westbrook, rose, wall, lillard, chris paul is not ideal at all. At least Lin will give us his youth and energy on defense.

Like Yinoma suggested, the FO wants to show they didn't make such a horrible decision. If he doesn't play out of the gate, he really can't contribute much in the 2nd and 4th. Its the same reason they decided to start Nash over Blake when he came back from injury last year.

Quote:
The plan is to play him sparingly early in the first and third quarters as he works his way back, so that he is well warmed-up when he comes into the game.

LINK

Not to mention the fact that guys like westbrook, rose, wall, lillard, chris paul will be playing in the fourth quarter, when Nash will likely not be able to play. Lin can't play all 48 minutes, so we will have him in there in the fourth quarter to guard those guys. How about sacrificing some 1st and 3rd quarter defense, so that we can have a better second and fourth quarter defense? That makes a little more sense.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject:

I totally understood the FO's thinking in getting Nash. It was predicated on a healthy Kobe being able to switch and guard the Westbrooks, etc. while Nash guards the smallest perimeter threat. But now Kobe needs to be protected on defense too. Wes can only guard 1 person so that means Nash/Kobe will be exposed to guarding top perimeter players. Might be painful to see that but if it's killing us, I'm sure Scott will sub Nash out or eventually phase him out of the starting lineup. Nash can be protected more in the 2nd unit IMO.
Lakersprime
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Agree, and team is always more important than who being the starter.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

This. Let Nash go up against second team PGs and bring a spark off the bench. He's just too old. And if he wants to stay warmed up he can ride a stationary bike.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Nash to Boozer is our Stockton to Malone! Kobe is Jordan. Wesley is Pippen. Jazz/Bulls lineup.
Golden_Emperor_24K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:

we'll be down early in a lot of games cuz Nash will get abused by the quick and explosive PGs in the league. we need some youth in the backcourt. Nash and Kobe are 76 yrs old combined. they cannot run and defend the young and athletic guys. we need lin to start just to slow down the opposing pg so we don't trail early in the games. nash should only play 5 mins/game at this stage of his career. let jordan clarkson be the backup pg or sign another backup pg. nash and kobe starting together will be ugly to watch on defense.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject:

I'm guessing everyone missed that the reporter got it wrong and fabricated Nash starting and Scott actually said the starter hasn't been chosen
ADA32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject:

Let's not over react or read too much to the initial starting lineup with Nash vs Lin. According to BScott:

Quote:
Scott has reported Nash as fully healthy from a nerve root irritation that affected his back and hamstrings, enough for the 40-year-old guard to work out at the Lakers’ practice facility in one-on-one settings without any reported setbacks. But Scott said he will limit Nash to an undisclosed amount of minutes, and will possibly sit him out on the second night of back-to-backs.

Regardless of whether Nash stays healthy, Jeremy Lin’s role at point guard could prove crucial in providing the Lakers with needed reinforcements.

“I like Jeremy. I like what he brings to the table,” Scott said. “He’s a guard who can flat out shoot the ball and play up and down the floor and is a tough gritty kid. He competes on the defensive end and competes period. I haven’t written him out.”

Scott gushed about Lin’s aggressiveness in the paint, citing an ESPN statistic that said that Lin shot 57.8 percent off drives last season, a mark that only trailed LeBron James (63.8 percent). Yet, Lin has also faced inconsistency with his defense and three-point shooting.

“I think his three point shot, it’s good. It’s just about taking better shots,” Scott said of Lin, who averaged 12.8 points on a 35.8 percent clip from three-point range. If he can do that, he’ll knock those down at a 40 percent rate. As far as the defensive end, I like that he competes on that end of the floor. He’s not a push over. He’s not going to be the best defensive point guard in the league. But he definitely won’t be the worst. He’s one of the guys who will take the challenge every single night and get after you.”

[url=http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2014/09/10/lakers-byron-scott-tentatively-penciling-in-veterans-as-starters/][/url]

If I am the coach, my vet player tell me he is healthy and ready, I will test him during the training camp! Does he has the movement, explosiveness and speed.

This is a no brainer decision! Especially for a 2x MVP, Nash!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject:

CAN'T WAIT FOR CAMP TO BEGIN!
blueice
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Only if Nash is completely healthy, then it makes sense.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

It's somewhat true. If you have chronic pain, you start swelling and tightening up when you give your body a chance to rest. That's why you'll sometimes see guys riding an exercise bike when they're out instead of sitting on the bench.

It's not like Nash is going to be able to go 48 minutes however. If he isn't resting the first 8 minutes of the game, he'll be resting the second 8 minutes instead. The cool down period is unavoidable.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject:

IMAGINE...

PRIME Nash (2005) 19/11/4
PRIME Kobe (2005) 35/5/5
ROOKIE Randle (2014) 10/6/3
PRIME Boozer (2007) 21/10/3
PRIME Hill (2014) 9/9/1

Starting Lineup.. 73-9
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Scott is giving respect to the veterans, not surprised. How much they are going to play is the question. Kobe and Nash already seem to be annuitants.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

It's somewhat true. If you have chronic pain, you start swelling and tightening up when you give your body a chance to rest. That's why you'll sometimes see guys riding an exercise bike when they're out instead of sitting on the bench.

It's not like Nash is going to be able to go 48 minutes however. If he isn't resting the first 8 minutes of the game, he'll be resting the second 8 minutes instead. The cool down period is unavoidable.

Which is why he will only play in the 1st and 3rd quarters mostly, because he will be cooled down in the 2nd and 4th. And I am not sure which injuries a stationary bile helps the most. If you ahve a hamstring injury I think it would be beneficial, but for an injury stemming from the nerves in the lower back, I am not sure if a bicycle will help that area. Plus I haven't seen a stationary bike on the sideline for quite some time. Do they still use this practice in 2014?

It was Gary Vitti's advice to coach D'Anotni to have Nash start over Blake last year when he came back from injury. We still have Vitti, so its likely he will give the same advice this year.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Which is why he will only play in the 1st and 3rd quarters mostly, because he will be cooled down in the 2nd and 4th. And I am not sure which injuries a stationary bile helps the most. If you ahve a hamstring injury I think it would be beneficial, but for an injury stemming from the nerves in the lower back, I am not sure if a bicycle will help that area. Plus I haven't seen a stationary bike on the sideline for quite some time. Do they still use this practice in 2014?

It was Gary Vitti's advice to coach D'Anotni to have Nash start over Blake last year when he came back from injury. We still have Vitti, so its likely he will give the same advice this year.

The purpose of he bike isn't about injury, it is about staying warmed up physically. Staying loose and limber. I think Nash would prefer to go from the warmups, and that may be what they try, give him one stint in the first and third quarters, maybe bring him back for a few minutes at the end. Puts long minutes on Lin though, unless they give clarkson an occasional stint to spell him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Nash hasn't been pinned in as the starter. Scott hasn't penned anyone in as a starter except Kobe and potentially Wesley.

Nash 'starting' was a reporter jumping the gambit.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

The purpose of he bike isn't about injury, it is about staying warmed up physically. Staying loose and limber. I think Nash would prefer to go from the warmups, and that may be what they try, give him one stint in the first and third quarters, maybe bring him back for a few minutes at the end. Puts long minutes on Lin though, unless they give clarkson an occasional stint to spell him.

Now youre just splitting hairs. Usually, the player needs to stay warm on the bike because they are dealing with an injury, or potential injury risk.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject:

The burning question:
Quote:
Who Should Start at Small Forward for Los Angeles Lakers?

Johnson, Swaggy, X-man, Kobe, Gee, somebody, anybody

SMALL FORWARD (link)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: