Chauncey Billups retires from the NBA after 17 seasons

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Chauncey Billups retires from the NBA after 17 seasons

His career ended before that but I digress...

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/09/chauncey-billups-retires-after-17-nba-seasons/

Quote:
Chauncey Billups retires after 17 NBA seasons

Before he signed with the Pistons last summer, Chauncey Billups said he wanted to play two more seasons.

But like so many times in his illustrious career, Billups couldn’t dictate his own future.

The Pistons declined Billups’ team option this summer, and though the Cavaliers were looking at him, time had run out. Billups has missed 169 games the last three years. He just couldn’t do it anymore.

Marc J. Spears of Yahoo Sports:

Chauncey Billups, the 2004 NBA Finals Most Valuable Player and former Detroit Pistons star, told Yahoo Sports on Tuesday he is retiring after 17 NBA seasons.

The five-time All-Star had interest in playing with LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers after a workout this offseason and said he had "a couple of opportunities to play" if he wanted to continue.

"It’s just time. I know when it’s time," Billups told Yahoo Sports. "My mind and my desire is still strong. I just can’t ignore the fact that I haven’t been healthy for three years. I can try again and get to a point where I think I can go, but I just can’t sustain. Me not being able to play the way that I can play, that’s when you kind of know it’s that time.

"It’s just time. I’m happy, excited. The game was very, very good to me. I felt like I was equally as good to the game the way I played it and the way I respected it and the way I carried myself through the process."

Billups was drafted No. 3 in the 1997 draft by the Celtics, who gave up on him during his rookie year. Boston traded him to the Raptors, and that led to other brief stints with the Nuggets and Magic.

Finally, in Minnesota, Billups had a chance to show his promise when Terrell Brandon got hurt. The Pistons gave him a sizable contract in free agency, and Billups reached an All-Star level in Detroit, even winning Finals MVP in 2004.

Though he thought he finally found a home after a career as an NBA journeyman, Billups was traded to the Nuggets. This time, Billups actually was home. The Denver native excelled in his second stint with his hometown team, leading the Nuggets to matching their-best ever finish, a trip to the conference finals.

But again, he was traded, getting sent to the Knicks in the Carmelo Anthony deal. By then, Billups’ best days were behind him. He hopped to the Clippers and then back to the Pistons for his final seasons.

Through it all, Billups became one of the best point guards of his generation. I try to avoid predicting who will make the Basketball Hall of Fame, which has an awkward and illogical selection process, but Billups is definitely a candidate.

He established himself as a team leader and class act, a reputation that will carry him into retirement. Whatever Billups decides to do next, his future is bright.
LoLakers13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject:

I thought he had retired a couple of seasons ago.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject:

Billups career was a great NBA story. A guy who came in with high expectations, was labeled a bust, bounced around for a bit before he found his game, and then proved himself at the highest level.

Plus the fact the Celtics never got anything out of him is an added bonus.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject:

I'm not hating but I couldn't help but note that Billup's estimation of his body and his game (at this point and time in his career) is an interesting contrast to that of Steve Nash.

Last edited by Gimme_the_rock on Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject:

Billups was a good point guard, probably borderline HOF (and not a surefire bet at all). I think he could have pumped out a few good years at the end of his career but that Achilles injury really finished him. He stuck around a few years after it but was never the same. But I heard he was a great teammate and that's why he'll probably be in the FO or a coach in a few years.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Billups was a good point guard, probably borderline HOF (and not a surefire bet at all). I think he could have pumped out a few good years at the end of his career but that Achilles injury really finished him. He stuck around a few years after it but was never the same. But I heard he was a great teammate and that's why he'll probably be in the FO or a coach in a few years.

IMHO, it'd be a bit of a reach to elect Billups to the Hall. Very, very good player, great teammate and just as clutch. 2nd tier.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

IMHO, it'd be a bit of a reach to elect Billups to the Hall. Very, very good player, great teammate and just as clutch. 2nd tier.

Yeah. Really borderline (not HOF to me, but that Detroit Pistons team was a problem for most teams). Didn't the Lakers have a chance to get him once but we elected to offer the $ to Devean George?
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah. Really borderline (not HOF to me, but that Detroit Pistons team was a problem for most teams). Didn't the Lakers have a chance to get him once but we elected to offer the $ to Devean George?

Ouch ... don't remind me.

Yeah, I have harbored bitterness toward that Detroit squad who, IMO, shouldn't have won their lone championship ... thereby, really taking away any credible case against the Chauncey-to-Hall discussions. Nothing personal against Billups ... dude would have been a perfect triangle PG and the time was certainly right to acquire him when they elected for Devean instead.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Billups career was a great NBA story. A guy who came in with high expectations, was labeled a bust, bounced around for a bit before he found his game, and then proved himself at the highest level.

Plus the fact the Celtics never got anything out of him is an added bonus.

A casualty of Rick Patino's Reign of Error in Boston.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We should have had both Tayshaun Prince and Billups from that Detroit squad. SMDH.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We should have had both Tayshaun Prince and Billups from that Detroit squad. SMDH.

Yeah. Imagine that Lakers squad. DAMN.

Billups/Fisher
Kobe (who cares about his backup)
Prince...
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject:

Great point mhan00.

That's the one that basically sealed the deal since Kobe was unable to go off like he normally would have.

While I'm not trying to take anything away from Tay ... he was allowed to high-five Kobe on the release of every contested jumper that series without a whistle.

That being said, dude would have been a perfect match to pair with Kobe under Phil.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Only Kareem Rush.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Billups/Fisher
Prince

kill me now
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject:

Can we get him as assistant coach?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:

Why not sign him as a player? He'd be our best PG since Jeremy Lin.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
cathy78 wrote:

He's a spring chicken, only 37! Younger than our current starting PG!
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject:

He has flopped on offense for the last time.

!...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Billups/Fisher
Prince...

Can someone jog my memory on this?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Billups/Fisher
Prince...

We went after our own free agent (Devean George) instead of Billups which was foolish on three levels: 1. Devean George for the $5+ million MLE (are you kidding me?!?), 2. Devean George over Billups?!?, 3. We declined George's last year, rookie contract option prior to the season getting underway, meaning we had to use the MLE since we effectively lost the ability to pay him with Bird Rights exception money.

Prince was who we scouted and wanted to draft. But no, we went after Kareem Rush (who we didn't scout) after Rush dropped like a rock on draft night. Prince was right there for the taking when the Lakers selected Rush.

Last edited by angrypuppy on Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
cathy78 wrote:

He's a spring chicken, only 37! Younger than our current starting PG!

Sad....
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Billups/Fisher
Prince...

We went after our own free agent (Devean George) instead of Billups which was foolish on three levels: 1. Devean George for the $5+ million MLE (are you kidding me?!?), 2. Devean George over Billups?!?, 3. We declined George's last year, rookie contract option prior to the season getting underway, meaning we had to use the MLE since we effectively lost the ability to pay him with Bird Rights exception money.

Prince was who we scouted and wanted to draft. But no, we went after Kareem Rush (who we didn't scout) after Rush dropped like a rock on draft night. Prince was right there for the taking when the Lakers selected Rush.

Ah okay I remember the Billups situation. The Devean George extension was like the Luke Walton if I recall. Gave them the full MLE at the stroke of midnight. That was probably the most boneheaded move during Mitch's early years.

As far as Prince, I didn't realize we had him targeted. Christ that squad would have been insane.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: