New U2 Album "Songs of Innocence"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: New U2 Album "Songs of Innocence"

I like it.....been a fan for 30 years. Seen their highs and lows, music wise. This album has some youthful energy that has been lacking for a while now. Has a more "Boy" "October" feel to it.

I know when "Invisible" came out about 3-4 months ago, I wasn't very happy with it.

This album is far better than that single.

I keep listening to it so I am sure it will grow on me more and more.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New U2 Album "Songs of Innocence"

anth2000 wrote:
I like it.....been a fan for 30 years. Seen their highs and lows, music wise. This album has some youthful energy that has been lacking for a while now. Has a more "Boy" "October" feel to it.

I know when "Invisible" came out about 3-4 months ago, I wasn't very happy with it.

Well it's free.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject:

I've given it one listen so far -- not enough to really form an opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Creepy how it just shows up on your iPhone.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject:

Been listening to it since it came out. It's an incredible album.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Creepy how it just shows up on your iPhone.

It appeared as a cloud download. Is it a limited time thing or will it just linger in iTunes?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: New U2 Album "Songs of Innocence"

yinoma2001 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

Well it's free.

Its paid for by Apple. I believe they have a 5 week exclusive on the album release before its available to the general public.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/10/business/media/u2-appears-at-apple-event-and-songs-of-innocence-appears-free-on-itunes.html?_r=0

Quote:
To release U2’s album free, Apple paid the band and Universal an unspecified fee as a blanket royalty and committed to a marketing campaign for the band worth up to $100 million, according to several people briefed on the deal. That marketing will include a global television campaign, the first piece of which was a commercial that was shown during the event.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject:

I've listened to it twice, and I haven't fallen in love with it yet. That said, it sometimes takes me a while to really like some of their stuff. But I'm not sure if that's ever going to happen with this one. We'll see what happens with repeated plays.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
I've listened to it twice, and I haven't fallen in love with it yet. That said, it sometimes takes me a while to really like some of their stuff. But I'm not sure if that's ever going to happen with this one. We'll see what happens with repeated plays.

I'm still stuck on Joshua Tree.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject:

I haven't liked anything since Achtung Baby. Everything they had done up to that point was almost flawless. The new stuff. Meh. It's either really forgettable or it was designed to have easy hooks for the sake of having hooks. The song that I heard on the commercial immediately turned me off.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) Apple.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
I haven't liked anything since Achtung Baby. Everything they had done up to that point was almost flawless. The new stuff. Meh. It's either really forgettable or it was designed to have easy hooks for the sake of having hooks. The song that I heard on the commercial immediately turned me off.

I think this line of thinking applies much easier to their albums 2001 and beyond.

I like some of their stuff post 2001 but it hasn't been on the same level as before. That's what happens when a band matures like they have and Bono's voice gives out from years of cheroots, cigarettes, and singing in a style he can't sustain anymore.

He can't sing Bad properly or hit the high notes on Stay. But that's a whole different subject.

Bye.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I think this line of thinking applies much easier to their albums 2001 and beyond.

I like some of their stuff post 2001 but it hasn't been on the same level as before. That's what happens when a band matures like they have and Bono's voice gives out from years of cheroots, cigarettes, and singing in a style he can't sustain anymore.

He can't sing Bad properly or hit the high notes on Stay. But that's a whole different subject.

Bye.

You're right. Some of their stuff in the 90s barely qualifies as music.

In recent years, they've recognized that a certain formula works with the wider public and with Grammy voters, as they seem to win a Grammy every time they release an album. Almost every song sounds the same and has some kind of "yeaaah" or "uuaaahh" part that Bono considers as catchy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: