Byron Scott Plans for Kobe Bryant's minutes - Title of Slam Online Article
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kinein
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Byron Scott Plans for Kobe Bryant's minutes - Title of Slam Online Article

Edited by CL: Here's a link to the original radio interview transcript --> Lakers' new head coach imagines new role for Kobe Bryant

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/byron-scott-plans-make-kobe-bryant-sit-games/

Taking a page from the Spurs, I think Kobe and Byron are on the same page or will be shortly. Exactly what I was thinking was needed to ensure Kobe finishes strong.

*Edited* as a few users seem to have an issue with me copy and pasting the article on this post I've since deleted the pasted article. Please see link for story.

Last edited by kinein on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:39 am; edited 3 times in total
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, good luck with that.

Kiss my Converse.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:

ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Lol some kind of ridiculous right there. Good luck with that Byron, you apparently don't know Kobe as much as you claim. I get the vibe he's trying to come in with chest out like a silverback gorilla saying "this is MY house this is how it's GON BE." and that's not going to work with Kobe.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject:

thegreatest wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Tanlentueux wrote:
thegreatest wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

Exactly. This is why I couldn't put all the blame on MDA for Kobe's high minutes played. Kobe does what he wants.

Then again, maybe having pushed himself a little prematurely last season will change Kobe's perspective.
salami
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Tanlentueux wrote:
thegreatest wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

If it makes sense Kobe will be on board. I dont get why some people out there think Kobe is some kind of out of control meathead that doesnt get the picture... cmon man stop with that
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject:

salami wrote:
Tanlentueux wrote:
thegreatest wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

If it makes sense Kobe will be on board. I dont get why some people out there think Kobe is some kind of out of control meathead that doesnt get the picture... cmon man stop with that

It's not that he is a meathead. He just has a huge ego. He comes out when he wants to and stays in when he wants to.

Heck, he waved off an MDA substitution after picking up 2 first quarter fouls in MDA's first game as Laker head coach. Lmao.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject:

He should sit out some of the b2b's.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject:

I could see Kobe succumbing to his minutes being reduced and possibly sitting out some of B. Scott's notoriously hard practices-- which would be a good thing and something the Bean would probably welcome. But, I just don't see Kobe sitting out games if he can play. He's way too competitive and way too stubborn. This is a guy who plays with torn shoulders, fractured noses, mangled fingers in meaningless contests ffs. Plus, this is not a Spurs' situation where you have a coach trying to save legs for a possible championship run. This is a man who is on his way out, his last hurrah, just trying to get his team to the playoffs. Kobe ain't sitting out games.

Kiss my Converse.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Byron means well, but he's needs to understand that there's certain lines that probably shouldn't be crossed.
klick
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject:

If all the stories of Kobe's training methods are true, which I believe even extended to after everyone was talking about him giving more attention to "father time" around 2011, I can't see the guy practice less...so how would you get him to sit out games?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject:

How about this. If you're not healthy enough to practice along with everyone else, you're not healthy enough to play.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
How about this. If you're not healthy enough to practice along with everyone else, you're not healthy enough to play.

Meh, case by case basis. I dont like that, if youc ant practice you cant play thing. If its a serious injury sure, but one where your body needs a day of rest. then absolutely not.
lrrp
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Good luck, coach
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject:

I think the pre-achilles and knee Kobe would have scoffed at the idea about putting some limits on himself. These days Kobe seems to have a better grounded perspective on things. Even though he knew different, he still thought he was invincible. He might just go along with this plan.

Bye.
tirebiter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

We're talking about practice?! Not a game. Practice.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron Scott Plans to Make Kobe Bryant Sit Out Some Games

kinein wrote:
http://www.slamonline.com/nba/byron-scott-plans-make-kobe-bryant-sit-games/

Los Angeles Lakers head coach Byron Scott thinks the world of Kobe Bryant, and expects plenty from his 36-year old superstar shooting guard going forward.

Scott is realistic, however, about the mileage and wear and tear on Kobe’s battered body. He wants to limit the Black Mamba’s minutes, and Scott says he’s not afraid to occasionally pull Kobe out of the lineup. Per 89.3 KPCC:

Quote:
“Yeah, Kobe’s his own man. We know how hard he works; we know how driven he is. But I think he’s at the point too where he’s so much more mature, and he understands that he only has a few more miles left on that body, you know, maybe two, maybe three years. And I think he’s probably more acceptable to accept the fact that you can’t practice every day. There might be some games where you can’t play this game or that game. But that’s all to be determined. We have to sit down before training camp and go over some things because I can’t have him going twice a day in training camp. That’s what the young guys are supposed to do. He’s been here long enough and understands his game better than anybody here, what it takes to win. I got to use that knowledge that he has as well. I’m going to treat him like he’s an assistant coach as well as a player.”

[…] “So let me bring up a scenario here. Say there’s a game on the East Coast, went into double-overtime, and Kobe played a lot of those minutes. And then you’ve got a game the very next night. You notice that maybe he’s not moving around so good, is it going to be easy for you to tell Kobe Bryant, ‘We’re going to have to limit your minutes tonight. Maybe you take a night off?’”

“Yeah it’s going to be easy, but it’s going to be hard to probably have that happen! [Laughs] But again, he’s so competitive, he wants to win, and I do too. But I don’t want to win at the expense of having my one of my guys get hurt. And sometimes, like I said, we’re going to sit down, me and my trainer have already sat down, already started talking about the amount of minutes Kobe should probably play, going into this season. And I have to stand fast on that. I have to make sure that when he’s up to those minutes, that’s it, no matter what the game situation is, as much as I want to win, as much as he wants to win, I’m not going to sacrifice his health to try to win games.”

Taking a page from the Spurs, I think Kobe and Byron are on the same page or will be shortly. Exactly what I was thinking was needed to ensure Kobe finishes strong.

Yeah, good luck with that By.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject:

lrrp wrote:
Good luck, coach

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Byron means well, but he's needs to understand that there's certain lines that probably shouldn't be crossed.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Kobe sitting out the back to backs early in the season makes sense. We have most of them early on then more so smooth sailing as the season goes on.
-Showtime-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject:

We'll see. I think Kobe should take it slow. I want him to heal up and become the force to reckon with that he was, especially during the playoffs if we make it there.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject:

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
singlecamVTEC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject:

i could see Kobe sitting out against lower-tier teams.. but then again, it's Kobe. dude would probably sit out for 30 seconds into the game in his street clothes, then go back to the locker room and suit up to play.
Spill512
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject:

singlecamVTEC wrote:
i could see Kobe sitting out against lower-tier teams.. but then again, it's Kobe. dude would probably sit out for 30 seconds into the game in his street clothes, then go back to the locker room and suit up to play.

We ARE a lower-tier team. If he sits out against the lower-tier teams, we'll struggle to win any damn games . It'll be a repeat of last season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: