The Odd Couple: Randle and Kelly

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: The Odd Couple: Randle and Kelly

Hi Everyone,

I touched upon this in another thread, but I wanted to expand upon my thought.

Could Randle and Kelly be the Lakers' Forward tandem of the future?

I heard someone say that the NBA has changed toward smaller faster centers like Bosh and that there aren't a whole lot of really dominant Giant centers ala Shaq. But I'm talking about Forwards anyways....

Randle has shown glimpse of how quick he is and also strong...There has been chatter here about JR possibly playing some small forward. Some people have said he could post up the small forwards. Of course we also hope he will develope his outside shot too.

Kelly had a nice rookie year, showing that he can hit the outside shot, can drive to the basket and also that he is a good passer and a smart player...he even blocks a few shots too.
I think people are forgetting that he might have been a first rounder except for the concern over his feet. If he develops his strength and speed some more and continues refining his shot he could be a pretty good player.

Randle and Kelly could form an unique and unorthodox pair of forwards...kind of reversing traditional forward roles. This could only be possible because of Randle's unique quickness for someone his size. You all saw the pics on Lg showing how he has slimmed down...and some people here were saying he might be LeBronesque (strong and quick).

I know people are concerned about Kelly being able to handle the power forwards....that's why he needs to get stronger. But guys like LaMarcus Aldridge and Chris Bosh don't look that strong to me...I'm sure guys like Zach Randolph will give him problems, but they give everyone problems.
Is Kevin Love considered strong?

Kelly also showed a little bit of a post game too, so they couldn't just switch the SF onto him at the perimeter. Maybe Kelly can bring the power forward outside and Randle and Kobe can post up more.

I dunno, just a thougth I wanted to discuss with you guys....I didn't really think it out completely.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject:

They make an interesting combo. Although I see them more in different lineups than together in the same lineup.

I love Kelly as a change of pace replacement for Randle off the bench down the line. Defenses will have to adjust from a bruiser point forward to a dead eye stretch four. That will be hard to defend
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject:

It's like the Prime Nash Suns - lots of Reg. season wins, but eventually you hit a good team with a top tier big that you will never get past with that sort of lineup. Now, if you pick up a Defensive anchor it starts to look like the Dwight Turkeyglu Pietrus Orlando teams.

Last edited by LakersRGolden on Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject:

I do want Scott to experiment with both of them together but ultimately I think it wouldn't work cause Kelly is not that great, he's a backup at best. Hopefully he proves me wrong though.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject:

I actually like them better as a 4/5 combo off the bench. Especially if Kelly continues to add strength, he could end up at 7'0 and 245lbs. That's solid size for a backup 5. He showed good defensive awareness last year and if Scott employs the help defensive scheme he's talked about Kelly might be able to survive at the 5 against second units. On offense he opens up the paint for Randle and the guards to penetrate. Lin-Henry-Swaggy-Randle-Kelly sounds pretty fun to me.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Kelly is the next Luke Walton
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Kelly is actually very very skilled. I expect he will be with the lakers for a very long time as long as he stays healthy. I do believe he can play the 5 against certain lineups and he most likely will. This team will have to be very creative making mismatches all season long to be successful. Having a bunch a versatile players makes it a lot easier to do that.
magicdays
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Kelly will pump fake Randle into a record-setting number of three-second violations in the lane
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
I do want Scott to experiment with both of them together but ultimately I think it wouldn't work cause Kelly is not that great, he's a backup at best. Hopefully he proves me wrong though.

IN REALITY WES JOHNSON IS A BACKUP TOO
irag12
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Those are some really attractive deals..i hope they are pretty authentic.
Pass your pass4sure on first attempt using California Northstate University and other resources. We offer 100% success in real exam with up to date testking a+ prepared by experts. You can also find VMWARE & ccnp training on our site.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: