Apple Watch anyone?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Apple Watch anyone?

I like watches (current collection includes Patek Calatrava, Rolex Datejust, Rolex GMT2, Panerai 292, etc) and was wondering if anyone is getting the Apple Watch.

Unlike traditional watches, Apple Watch and Moto360 are supposed to maybe get to the non-watch buying public.
Does anyone here plan to get any smart watches? Apple Watch or Moto360?

Apple Watch review
http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hodinkee-apple-watch-review

Moto 360 review
http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/12/moto-360-review/
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject:

I think I will, depending on how much flash memory it has for music storage. Nothing more annoying than having to hold your phone or have it bouncing around in your pocket during a long run.

Apple Watch with at least 4gb + solid Bluetooth headphones will be perfect.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I think I will, depending on how much flash memory it has for music storage. Nothing more annoying than having to hold your phone or have it bouncing around in your pocket during a long run.

Apple Watch with at least 4gb + solid Bluetooth headphones will be perfect.

I think I will too.
Which will you get? The sport?

I kind of want the gold one but it's too much of a waste of money.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject:

I'm thinking about getting the sport version for when I run because the fitness features sound interesting, and as loslakerss says it's better than having a phone in your pocket or carrying it. Though I'm still not clear about the phone integration. Do you need to have the phone with you at all times for the watch to get it's GPS info etc.? If so, there's no advantage to the watch.

Also, I want to actually see one and interact with it. The pictures certainly look good, but it looks like in person it could appear clunky and awkward. If it's something that doesn't look like something I would wear when I'm not running, then I doubt the $350 price tag for a fancy fitness computer makes sense.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I'm thinking about getting the sport version for when I run because the fitness features sound interesting, and as loslakerss says it's better than having a phone in your pocket or carrying it. Though I'm still not clear about the phone integration. Do you need to have the phone with you at all times for the watch to get it's GPS info etc.? If so, there's no advantage to the watch.

Also, I want to actually see one and interact with it. The pictures certainly look good, but it looks like in person it could appear clunky and awkward. If it's something that doesn't look like something I would wear when I'm not running, then I doubt the $350 price tag for a fancy fitness computer makes sense.

yeah i'm looking forward to play with it in the apple store.
but for now it seems that 12.5 mm thickness would put it among thinner sport watches (like a Rolex Submariner, which is 12.5mm also).
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Do you need to have the phone with you at all times for the watch to get it's GPS info etc.? If so, there's no advantage to the watch.

From the Apple website:

Quote:
GPS. Apple Watch uses the GPS and Wi‑Fi in your iPhone to help measure the distance you travel during activities that can’t be measured in steps, such as cycling.

http://www.apple.com/watch/technology/

It can be used as a standlone music player without the phone. Not sure how much storage it has.

Quote:
Music. Control the music on your iPhone without taking it out of your pocket. And when you leave iPhone at home to go for a jog, listen to music directly on Apple Watch.

http://www.apple.com/watch/features/
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Do you need to have the phone with you at all times for the watch to get it's GPS info etc.? If so, there's no advantage to the watch.

From the Apple website:

Quote:
GPS. Apple Watch uses the GPS and Wi‑Fi in your iPhone to help measure the distance you travel during activities that can’t be measured in steps, such as cycling.

It can be used as a standlone music player without the phone. Not sure how much storage it has.

Quote:
Music. Control the music on your iPhone without taking it out of your pocket. And when you leave iPhone at home to go for a jog, listen to music directly on Apple Watch.

Might be a deal breaker for me. Unless Apple has revolutionized tracking distance through steps, I can't see how that would be accurate at all. Counting steps is one thing. Counting the distance covered in each stride is a whole other thing.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

From the Apple website:

Quote:

Quote:

Might be a deal breaker for me. Unless Apple has revolutionized tracking distance through steps, I can't see how that would be accurate at all. Counting steps is one thing. Counting the distance covered in each stride is a whole other thing.

Yeah it seems like a lot of people run.

Unfortunately GPS probably won't go inside these watches for a while.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

From the Apple website:

Quote:

Quote:

Samsung Gear S and Sony Smartwatch 3 will both have on-board GPS. It's too bad Sony's watch is so ugly.

I wonder if it's because Apple put everything on a single chip, which was pretty amazing, there just wasn't any room for GPS.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject:

I agree with DMR on both points that without gps capability in the watch and it also being something I would on a regular basis, not just an exercise accessory, it wouldn't be worth the price.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
shnxx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

From the Apple website:

Quote:

Quote:

Samsung Gear S and Sony Smartwatch 3 will both have on-board GPS. It's too bad Sony's watch is so ugly.

I wonder if it's because Apple put everything on a single chip, which was pretty amazing, there just wasn't any room for GPS.

Samsung and Sony are ugly as (bleep).
Grammer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject:

I use an iPod Shuffle for my runs. Don't think i'd spend the money for the watch cause i'm pretty sweaty after.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject:

I was hoping for this to be truly standalone but it isn't.

Part of having a watch with this much functionality is so that if you are at the gym or somewhere you are paring down, you don't need the extra phone weight in your pocket or wherever you keep it.

Will buy when it becomes that way.

Bye.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject:

It's incredible to think that 25 years ago, assuming you're that old, we'd be out running with cassette players strapped to our waists and we thought that was the greatest thing ever at the time. Now we have multimedia devices that are 1/3 the size and weight and don't even require corded headphones and they're "too bulky".
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
It's incredible to think that 25 years ago, assuming you're that old, we'd be out running with cassette players strapped to our waists and we thought that was the greatest thing ever at the time. Now we have multimedia devices that are 1/3 the size and weight and don't even require corded headphones and they're "too bulky".

Yeah, I hear you. I remember running when I was younger and didn't have any music. Then when cassette players and cd players were affordable I got those and didn't care about carrying them because I loved the fact I could listen to music. As technology advances, we get more spoiled and it can make us lazy, lol.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject:

none of these watch will be big hits unless it's standalone.
Grammer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:

Just wait for the iWatchS

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject:

Grammer wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:

or iWatch+ lol
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject:

I kite surf. When they figure out how to get it to survive that environment, then maybe I'll give it more serious thought. Surfing the net on your dang cell is already a crap enough of an experience. Do I really want to peer into a 1 inch screen? Seems it kinda makes sense for joggers to use as a HRM, but the rest of us? Not so much.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Grammer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Grammer wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:

or iWatch+ lol

iWatch 2S+ with Retina Display 8gb
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject:

Waiting for the day when I can buy a standalone voice activated watch which you can make calls without carrying a cell phone. Also it better be able to surf the internet and project a hologram so it isn't limited by the screensize....
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject:

If it's completely dependent on having your iphone nearby, I think I'll just reach into my pocket instead.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject:

I'll probably get a second or third generation. I expect there'll be a lot of improvement by then.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject:

I was really excited about the announcement, but honestly can't say that there is anything about it that wows me so far.

Maybe I'll get one down the road when they release some features that I find worthwhile, but I just don't see the point yet. I don't need a watch to track my fitness/workouts, so one of the biggest selling points is pretty much wasted on me.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Waiting for the day when I can buy a standalone voice activated watch which you can make calls without carrying a cell phone.

The Samsung Gear S(olo) will have its own SIM card and have the ability to make and receive calls (3G) without being connected to the phone. However, people need to understand with this capability it will have its own number and you'll basically be paying for a second cellphone.

lakersken80 wrote:
Also it better be able to surf the internet and project a hologram so it isn't limited by the screensize....

I can see where a front-facing camera would be the next feature-add for smartwatches. Then it would truly be a D-i-c-k Tracy watch and you might not look as odd talking to your wrist. They were already able to cram a 2 MP camera into the Gear 2.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: