xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject:

All I got to say is that the thought that we are the only intelligent civilization in this expansive universe is arrogance and naivety beyond belief.

Kiss my Converse.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
All I got to say is that the thought that we are the only intelligent civilization in this expansive universe is arrogance and naivety beyond belief.

It would fundamentally change religion. If man was made in the image of God what happens if we discover intelligent life? Just like the days people thought the universe rotates around the earth.
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
I really can't understand what's so hard to believe in a myth like Atlantis... they already discovered a monster like dinosaur a few days ago... everything is possible.

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
They will come here to serve mankind.

It's a cookbook!!!!!

That went 'Swooooooossssshhhh' to 90% here. I'm old enough to get it.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject:

I just don't believe that Aliens are evil, do I believe in them yes... If anything we're the evil creatures other worlds are terrified of. No one wants anything to do with us and if they did they would cone in peace
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject:

Brandon98 wrote:
(bleep) the Alien scenario man. How are any of us going to deal with SkyNet when it finally goes online?

Isn't Google SkyNet?

!...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Brandon98 wrote:
(bleep) the Alien scenario man. How are any of us going to deal with SkyNet when it finally goes online?

Isn't Google SkyNet?

MIB have a BioNet in place. No need to worry.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
They will come here to serve mankind.

It's a cookbook!!!!!

That went 'Swooooooossssshhhh' to 90% here. I'm old enough to get it.

Best post in this thread. All the episodes are free and in HD on Amazon Prime
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The possible outcome of a Alien/Area 51 invasion

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
What are the chances we are invaded by the Aliens and other possible creatures from another planet in the next few hundred years? the government cover-up is obvious... now it's up to the human race to believe in the possibility of us being invaded by different dimensional beings.

Only question is.... would we be doomed?

Certainly an interesting question, but I have found it is impossible to have an intelligent UFO related discussion here. I am a Mod over on UFOCasebook.com and I invite any free thinking individuals (and skeptics) to visit..

The simple answer is that that if they had the technology to get here, they have the technology to wipe us out!
NickF
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject:

But can they make iPhones cheaply
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The possible outcome of a Alien/Area 51 invasion

unleasHell wrote:
I have found it is impossible to have an intelligent UFO related discussion here.

Nice try, but totally disingenuous. Just because you don't like the fact that people so soundly poke holes in your UFO theories doesn't mean the discussion is not intelligent.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The possible outcome of a Alien/Area 51 invasion

DaMuleRules wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
I have found it is impossible to have an intelligent UFO related discussion here.

Nice try, but totally disingenuous. Just because you don't like the fact that people so soundly poke holes in your UFO theories doesn't mean the discussion is not intelligent.

Lord Xenu will smite your ass.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The possible outcome of a Alien/Area 51 invasion

DaMuleRules wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Nice try to you, But I do not have any UFO theories, I simply review available information, reports and data and make educated logical assessments based on them.

People who are ignorant of the facts can only offer-up ignorant points of view, uneducated discussions. And someone who knows little about the subject is rarely ever able to "soundly poke holes in any UFO theory" LOL...

SO: if you would like to discuss any specific UFO Case that you know something about or are interested in, let's go, name it, hell there are a plethora of UFO fraudulent cases, that we may actually agree upon.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The possible outcome of a Alien/Area 51 invasion

unleasHell wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Nice try to you, But I do not have any UFO theories, I simply review available information, reports and data and make educated logical assessments based on them.

People who are ignorant of the facts can only offer-up ignorant points of view, uneducated discussions. And someone who knows little about the subject is rarely ever able to "soundly poke holes in any UFO theory" LOL...

SO: if you would like to discuss any specific UFO Case that you know something about or are interested in, let's go, name it, hell there are a plethora of UFO fraudulent cases, that we may actually agree upon.

Serious question. Do you believe UFOs carrying beings from other planets have visited the earth?
NickF
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject:

Anyway Aliens should fear us not the opposite, within a generation they would have a KFC and a Walmart on every corner
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: The possible outcome of a Alien/Area 51 invasion

unleasHell wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

I'm not trying anything, just pointing out your BS.

People may have disagreed with your thoughts on the subject here, but that's very different than not being able to have an intelligent discussion. Some of the people you've had the discussion with here (Larry Coon and others) are some of the most intelligent members here.

So you attempting to pass of disagreement as a lack of substance doesn't float.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The possible outcome of a Alien/Area 51 invasion

DaMuleRules wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

People may have disagreed with your thoughts on the subject here, but that's very different than not being able to have an intelligent discussion. Some of the people you've had the discussion with here (Larry Coon and others) are some of the most intelligent members here.

What BS? You see there are UFO Skeptics, these are people who are skeptical about UFO reports but ask questions to find out more information. There is another group called Debunkers these are people (like you) who do not really know anything about the subject, do not ask any questions and argue for the sake of arguing, and are NOT interested in any facts or evidence, they just want to push their point.

I am not saying shut up (this is actually fun!) you can post anything you like, but just know that ignoring research and jumping right to a conclusion is the basis of the word ignorant.

And your referencing about Larry Coon and others is like saying your dad can beat-up my dad, a great argument if you are 13, want to try a big-boy conversation and talk about any UFO facts?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The possible outcome of a Alien/Area 51 invasion

nickuku wrote:
Serious question. Do you believe UFOs carrying beings from other planets have visited the earth?

Yes, many times!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The possible outcome of a Alien/Area 51 invasion

unleasHell wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

What BS?

I was pretty clear about where the BS lies. You seem to be an intelligent person and you claim you want to have an intelligent discussion. Yet when that discussion runs contrary to your intended direction, you claim that this place is not conducive to having an intelligent discussion in regards to UFOs.

Thus, I pointed out that your claim lacked merit.

Quote:
You see there are UFO Skeptics, these are people who are skeptical about UFO reports but ask questions to find out more information. There is another group called Debunkers these are people (like you) who do not really know anything about the subject, do not ask any questions and argue for the sake of arguing, and are NOT interested in any facts or evidence, they just want to push their point.

You couldn't be more wrong. I've been interested in UFO's since I was a little kid, back in the day when space travel was a very new concept and the UFO was a much more prevalent discussion than it is today. I loved reading and watching things like "Chariots of the Gods" and absorbing anything to do with UFO encounters.

There's no one around who isn't more into the idea of extra-tessestrial life than myself. However, now I'm older and boyish fascination has moved on to logic and facts. So I emphasize reasonable probability over fanciful possibility.

I'd be amongst the first to acknowledge extra-terrestial visitation if I saw a believable case of it.

Quote:
I am not saying shut up (this is actually fun!) you can post anything you like, but just know that ignoring research and jumping right to a conclusion is the basis of the word ignorant.

Nope. Again. You create the fantasy where those who disagree with you are simply being ignorant, yet you have no basis for that accusation other than they disagree with your beliefs. And I say beliefs because there is no factual evidence that supports any "research" that we have in fact been visited by extra-terrestiasl beings.

And that conclusion doesn't even touch on the logical realities of the implication that extra-terrestrial life would visit us, be detected by us (as a much less technologically advanced population) and yet not contact us for any reason, exploratory or exploitative.

Quote:
And your referencing about Larry Coon and others is like saying your dad can beat-up my dad, a great argument if you are 13, want to try a big-boy conversation and talk about any UFO facts?

Again, nice try. I referenced the intellectual capacity of those you claim can't have an intellectual conversation because their track record proves otherwise. It's you who is engaging in the immature deflections.

But here's the pertinent point. You can lay any claims you wish in regards to UFOs and alien visitation, that's fine. But your accusation that there can't be an intellectual discussion about the topic here is complete BS, and it's a cowardly accusation at that, because reality proves otherwise.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: The possible outcome of a Alien/Area 51 invasion

unleasHell wrote:
What BS? You see there are UFO Skeptics, these are people who are skeptical about UFO reports but ask questions to find out more information. There is another group called Debunkers these are people (like you) who do not really know anything about the subject, do not ask any questions and argue for the sake of arguing, and are NOT interested in any facts or evidence, they just want to push their point.

This is why these discussions are pointless to have. You immediately jumped into a false dichotomy (a logical fallacy). Someone is either asking questions and finding out more (in which case, clearly, they would be persuaded by the evidence), or they're an ignorant denier.

Unfortunately, UFOlogy is way more of a religion than a science. It's replete with a lack of critical thinking skills (and don't take that as an insult -- it takes years of dedicated effort to develop this skill), filled with logical fallacies (the two most prevalent being special pleading and the false dichotomy) which render their conclusions logically invalid, and have zero true quality evidence -- but lacking an independent, objective standard for evidence, that last point doesn't matter to them. These things are all interwoven, of course. Their lack of quality of evidence is dismissed using the logical fallacy of special pleading -- "What are they expecting, a UFO to land on the White House lawn and pose for pictures with tourists?" Therefore the argument morphs to, "There is no high grade evidence, so accept all this low grade evidence," which is another appearance of the special pleading fallacy.

The difference between science and pseudoscience is that science tries to hone in on what IS true, while pseudoscience tries to validate what the practitioner WANTS to be true. There's a difference -- a HUGE difference -- but it's nearly impossible to convince someone who is already invested in the pseudoscience of that difference. It really takes knowledge and skill to be able to correctly apply critical thinking skills, and it's tough to take a perspective of objectivity and detachment when you're already emotionally invested in a topic.

So again -- the discussion is pointless. We're simply not speaking the same language, or looking at things in the same way. You could show me something and say, "Aha! See?" and I'd look at the same thing and think, "THIS is what you show me?" I could point out the patterns and flaws of human cognition, show how they contribute, and show how the phenomenon is far more parsimonious with the known parameters of human psychology than actual alien visitation, and you'd dismiss that as irrelevant. We simply don't have the same standards, because we don't think in the same way.

But what do I know? Apparently I've never had an intelligent conversation on the topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: The possible outcome of a Alien/Area 51 invasion

DaMuleRules wrote:
I've been interested in UFO's since I was a little kid, back in the day when space travel was a very new concept and the UFO was a much more prevalent discussion than it is today. I loved reading and watching things like "Chariots of the Gods" and absorbing anything to do with UFO encounters.

Good, so you have final stopped trying to argue and have actually mentioned something real and well we can start with Chariots of the Gods, I too read this series of books and perhaps can see your dismay at discovering it was all pretty much BS. Daniken was not a scientific researcher, he wrote more in a style you would see in the Enquirer.

So I am assuming you are ready to discuss, I'm going to start:

Now we all know that Lie-Detector tests have been proven to have multiple flaws, some of which prevent them from being used in a court of law, right(?). But there are often used to determine if someone is being deceptive or if they are telling what they believe to be the truth. We also know that there are ways for someone to "cheat" a lie-detector test.

But for this discussion, let's say someone robbed your house and there were SIX witnesses. All SIX of these people are given Lie-Detector tests (By Law Enforcement) and they all say the same thing, what would the odds be that they are ALL lying?

Would you believe them?
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The possible outcome of a Alien/Area 51 invasion

unleasHell wrote:

Let me add one more thing that I forgot to include before. You're painting one side as being interested in facts and evidence, and the other side essentially ignoring all of this. Jumping right to conclusions. Having "intelligent" discussions (as you phrased it). Etc.

I'd submit that this is true, but the arrow points in the opposite direction that you think it does. As evidence of this, I'd bring up the very characterizations you posted here. It's impossible to have an INTELLIGENT conversation here. The other side just is ignorant on the subject, doesn't look at the facts and evidence, etc.

Can you really take an objective look at your own statements and not see how they are just dismissing what doesn't agree with your conclusion? If not, then I'll take you back to the earlier discussion's that have been had here, and ask you to substantiate that they lack intelligence.

What's pretty clear to me is that you're engaging in a pretty common pseudoscientific tactic of simply brushing away anything disconfirming, and using the fallacious reasoning tactics I described above to do so.

I'd also ask why you think that progress hasn't been made in this area. Fifty years ago it was iffy witness reports, blurry photos, and a few instances of blatant fakery mixed in. Can you show me the progress that has been made by the "research" into this topic over the last 50 years? If you ask me to show you the actual progress made in any legitimate area of science over the last 50 years, I can give you a litany of results.

So if there's something there, if it's something for which there's actual evidence, workable hypotheses, and can withstand even minimum critical analysis, then why isn't, say, one legitimate university program devoted to development of the topic? I'd really like to see what the progress is, know why it hasn't become legitimate, and would REALLY like answers to those questions that don't involve special pleading, false dichotomies, or other invoke other fallacious reasoning.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The possible outcome of a Alien/Area 51 invasion

unleasHell wrote:
Good, so you have final stopped trying to argue and have actually mentioned something real and well we can start with Chariots of the Gods, I too read this series of books and perhaps can see your dismay at discovering it was all pretty much BS. Daniken was not a scientific researcher, he wrote more in a style you would see in the Enquirer.

Now we all know that Lie-Detector tests have been proven to have multiple flaws, some of which prevent them from being used in a court of law, right(?). But there are often used to determine if someone is being deceptive or if they are telling what they believe to be the truth. We also know that there are ways for someone to "cheat" a lie-detector test.

But for this discussion, let's say someone robbed your house and there were SIX witnesses. All SIX of these people are given Lie-Detector tests (By Law Enforcement) and they all say the same thing, what would the odds be that they are ALL lying?

Would you believe them?

This is an excellent example of what I was talking about. You're setting up a false dichotomy here, so you're either unknowingly engaging in sloppy, fallacious reasoning, or knowingly setting up a rather silly "gotcha" situation.

Before anyone answers this question, let's put it in context. Are you saying that a person must either: A) Have unmistakeably witnessed something that is accurately described; or B) Be lying?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The possible outcome of a Alien/Area 51 invasion

unleasHell wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
I've been interested in UFO's since I was a little kid, back in the day when space travel was a very new concept and the UFO was a much more prevalent discussion than it is today. I loved reading and watching things like "Chariots of the Gods" and absorbing anything to do with UFO encounters.

Would you believe them?

It's not a question of believing them because the fact that they believe they are telling the truth does't mean their recollections are an accurate portrayal of the reality.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: