Klay Thompson's tells his AGENT to say he is a better SG than Kobe Bryant - Article
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Birmingham wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
I don't care what an agent says, but I am annoyed at MYCHAL THOMPSON saying the same thing

Why?

The key part of the statement is "two-way" and it's undeniably true.

The last time Kobe played above-average defense on a regular basis, Klay Thompson was in third grade.

The most first team All D team selections in league history aside right?

Again with the popularity contests. And we haven't seen Kobe there recently.

Until last season it was voted on by NBA head coaches only. The ones who had to actually design game plans around the opposition defenders. Kobe was all D first team as recently as recently as 2011. All D second team 2012.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Birmingham wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
I don't care what an agent says, but I am annoyed at MYCHAL THOMPSON saying the same thing

Why?

The last time Kobe played above-average defense on a regular basis, Klay Thompson was in third grade.

Until last season it was voted on by NBA head coaches only. The ones who had to actually design game plans around the opposition defenders. Kobe was all D first team as recently as recently as 2011. All D second team 2012.

The all D teams are better now, at least a tad more consistent with what's going on, although i do think lebron got an achievement award last season, i don't see it lasting multiple seasons, it seems insulting to the players whose job is to come in and guard the stronger wing so the star has more for offense, and then said star gets on the all d teams.
mastersworddude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject:

Oh look a "Someone said something that could be considered a slight to Kobe" thread.

I don't get the Klay Thompson hype though, I think he's a bit overrated.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject:

mastersworddude wrote:
Oh look a "Someone said something that could be considered a slight to Kobe" thread.

Klay is not overrated. He's an exceptional player, and may become an All-Star one of these days when Kobe and Wade retire.

But the reality is Klay isn't on the same tier as Kobe, Jordan, Kareem, Wilt, or Magic like Klay and his agent is insinuating.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Birmingham wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Why?

And the reason the coaches no longer vote on this? Because they were too busy designing game plans to be bothered with pondering over an awards ballot. You think Popovich wasted a second on this? It's been well known for years that Head Coaches kick those down to interns because they DGAF about it, especially when they can't vote for their own players. Kobe making First Team All D over Tony Allen, Ronnie Brewer or Wesley Matthews in 2011 or Iggy in 2012 were pretty strong indications that whoever was voting on this wasn't thinking hard enough or didn't know any better.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
mastersworddude wrote:

Klay is not overrated. He's an exceptional player, and may become an All-Star one of these days when Kobe and Wade retire.

But the reality is Klay isn't on the same tier as Kobe, Jordan, Kareem, Wilt, or Magic like Klay and his agent is insinuating.

Where does he "insinuate" that Klay Thompson is as good or better than Kobe ever was? I didn't even see MJ, Kareem or Wilt mentioned in that article.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject:

mastersworddude wrote:

It's his agent's job to do that.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject:

Whatever.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject:

Will be interesting to see how Kerr uses Thompson, under Jackson he seemed to just hang out at the 3 pt line and wait for a pass, I think he has improved over the years but still cant touch Kobe
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
mastersworddude wrote:

Klay Thompson is nowhere near a max player. So yes, he is a tad bit overrated.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
mastersworddude wrote:

My money is on Klay over any of those guys today. Double for Wilt.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
mastersworddude wrote:

Klay Thompson is nowhere near a max player. So yes, he is a tad bit overrated.

Yup. But the point is, his AGENT is trying to sell the Warriors to give him a max 5 year deal (probably with an opt out for the new TV deal). That by its very definition requires overselling and overrating.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Who cares? His agent is trying to get his client a payday here. I don't see the problem.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Misleading thread title.

Klay Thompson did NOT tell his agent to say this.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Misleading thread title.

Klay Thompson did NOT tell his agent to say this.

Exactly. I mean it's one thing if player says this but an agent? Meh who cares?
blueice
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Agents can say anything...they are just businessmen...
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Birmingham wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Why?

And the reason the coaches no longer vote on this? Because they were too busy designing game plans to be bothered with pondering over an awards ballot. You think Popovich wasted a second on this? It's been well known for years that Head Coaches kick those down to interns because they DGAF about it, especially when they can't vote for their own players. Kobe making First Team All D over Tony Allen, Ronnie Brewer or Wesley Matthews in 2011 or Iggy in 2012 were pretty strong indications that whoever was voting on this wasn't thinking hard enough or didn't know any better.

None of those guys can guard Westbrook AND LBJ.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Birmingham wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Why?

Tony Allen is usually too busy guarding Kevin Durant to guard Russell Westbrook (what with having Mike Conley at pg and all as well...), but it's got nothing to do with what you can do. Players being rested on the opponents weak offensive wing due to their importance on offense simply shouldn't be on All D teams.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Birmingham wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Why?

Tony Allen is usually too busy guarding Kevin Durant to guard Russell Westbrook (what with having Mike Conley at pg and all as well...), but it's got nothing to do with what you can do. Players being rested on the opponents weak offensive wing due to their importance on offense simply shouldn't be on All D teams.

Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Birmingham wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Why?

Other than a few big men like Dwight Howard, I don't think there are many players that influence the game enough on defense to where opposing coaches are going to plan around their defensive presence.

That was what made Ariza and Artest so valuable. They could take the other teams toughest assignment and Kobe wouldn't have to exert a lot of energy on that side. Kobe didnt get a tough defensive load anymore than was absolutely necessary.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Birmingham wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Why?

Why do you think the nba changed the voting system? because the previous one was broken to the point of absurdity. The straw that broke the camel's back was the DPOY basically needing the voting "fiddled with" to even make a defensive 2nd team, but the intern voting system they had was broken long before.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
Telleris wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Birmingham wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Why?

Why do you think the nba changed the voting system? because the previous one was broken to the point of absurdity. The straw that broke the camel's back was the DPOY basically needing the voting "fiddled with" to even make a defensive 2nd team, but the intern voting system they had was broken long before.

Yeah, the NBA really cares about validity of it's awards and voting systems. That's why Steve Nash is sitting on as many MVP's as Kobe and Shaq combined.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
Telleris wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Birmingham wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Why?

Yeah, the NBA really cares about validity of it's awards and voting systems. That's why Steve Nash is sitting on as many MVP's as Kobe and Shaq combined.

There's also a reason Shaq and Kobe are sitting on 9 rings and Nash has 0. The stacked teams that cost them MVPs won them rings instead.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject:

The reason Shaq doesn't have more mvps is Shaq's offseasons.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
The reason Shaq doesn't have more mvps is Shaq's offseasons.

I'm the biggest critic of shaq becoming snaq but that is false. Shaq was deserving of more mvp awards. However the NBA MVP award is VERY dependent on politics.

The criteria for winning it changes to suit the mood of whichever media writer has an opinion.

Best player on the best team?
Best player over all?
If you took X guy off Y roster, how much worse would they be?
etc. etc.

It's a sham
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: