When Should The Lakers Use Their Future Cap Space?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: When Should The Lakers Use Their Future Cap Space?

Interesting tidbit from Zach Lowe's article on this summer's restricted free agents.

Quote:
One problem: No one knows when, or how, that cap jump will happen. It’s at $63 million for this season, and teams are projecting it could leap as high as $80 million for the 2016-17 season — the first under the new TV contract. Depending on how the league and its TV partners structure the inflow of cash, there could be one or two more mini-jolts before the cap settles into a new normal around $90 million.2

Grantland reported in July that the league is considering methods of pinching the onrush of money to avoid a gargantuan one-year jump in the cap level. Teams are speculating that the league might apply future TV money to the 2015-16 cap, nudging it up above the current projection of $66.5 million. A bigger than expected jump would especially impact max contracts, since they are tethered directly to the cap ceiling. The league has told teams in the last two weeks to hold their 2015-16 cap projections steady, but there is a roiling anxiousness that this may change soon — and an urgent need to know.

Link

So should try and sign players to long term deals in 2015 and compete for a title or do we show patience and maximize cap space for 2016 when we could have $70 million in cap space to spend.

Last edited by kaoss128 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject:

I say grab players now and when the cap goes up a "max" is no longer a "max."
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject:

The simple answer is whenever they can sign the type of players they want.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

And you don't want to sign Klay Thompson for his max because...?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

And you don't want to sign Klay Thompson for his max because...?

I said that? Someone convinced me that since the cap may dramatically increase it's worth grabbing them now. So yeah it would make sense to offer a max under this system and if the cap rises he's be say only 75% of the new max.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject:

When an All-Star player is available for the Max.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Precisely.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Personally I don't see any young star coming to Los Angeles to be in the shadow of Kobe Bryant. The man is a legend and if I were a rising star I would have to think twice about it also. I think that when Kobe retires the flood gates will open with players lining up to play in the purple and gold. Until that time I think we should collect assets and develop our rookies unless a once in a generation talent comes knocking.

As far as I'm concerned there are only three in the NBA right now:

Lebron
Durant
Davis
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject:

My guess is the Lakers will make a major trade this season or next.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Who do you see the lakers trading for? I dint see very many options considering most of the top names just signed deals recently. The next tier would be a guy like rondo, or Bledsoe (not sure if he signed the offer yet)
legend825
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject:

They may make a major trade but don't know if we can get an elite player since most of them are tied up.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

I could see them going after Roy Hibbert since we could use a legit center.

The Pacers without George and Stephenson will struggle to make the playoffs and even if they do they will probably be the 8th seed and be swept by Chicago or Cleveland in the first round. It would make more sense for them to tank and try and get a high lottery pick. Hibbert has a player option for 2015 which he could decline leaving them with nothing like when Howard walked away from us. Might as well get a draft pick and a young player in return for him.

Hibbert is one of the few rim protecting centers in the NBA which is something we lack. I know that he played horribly in the playoffs last year but so did most of his team. People forget he was one of the biggest reasons the Pacers took Miami to game 7 of the 2013 ECF. In that series he dominated averaging 22 points and 10 rebounds with great defense. I believe that Hibbert could benefit from a change of scenery and get back to being the player he used to be. Next summer centers like Gasol and Jordan are free agents but who knows if they'll want to sign here.Having Hibbert at center would give us one less thing to worry about next summer.
slestack11
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
24 wrote:

Who do you see the lakers trading for? I dint see very many options considering most of the top names just signed deals recently. The next tier would be a guy like rondo, or Bledsoe (not sure if he signed the offer yet)

If the Lakers can flip Steve Nash's expiring contract and Jordan Hill to Boston for Rajon Rondo, that would be fantastic. Then maybe they can pick up Emeka Okafor on a veteran contract. This lineup in my opinion has a puncher chance in the playoffs:

PG: Rondo, Lin, Clarkson
SG: Kobe, Swaggy P, Clarkson
SF: Wes Johnson, Xavier Henry
PF: Julius Randle, Carlos Boozer, Ryan Kelly
C: Emeka Okafor, Ed Davis, Robert Sacre
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
24 wrote:

The Pacers without George and Stephenson will struggle to make the playoffs and even if they do they will probably be the 8th seed and be swept by Chicago or Cleveland in the first round. It would make more sense for them to tank and try and get a high lottery pick. Hibbert has a player option for 2015 which he could decline leaving them with nothing like when Howard walked away from us. Might as well get a draft pick and a young player in return for him.

Hibbert is one of the few rim protecting centers in the NBA which is something we lack. I know that he played horribly in the playoffs last year but so did most of his team. People forget he was one of the biggest reasons the Pacers took Miami to game 7 of the 2013 ECF. In that series he dominated averaging 22 points and 10 rebounds with great defense. I believe that Hibbert could benefit from a change of scenery and get back to being the player he used to be. Next summer centers like Gasol and Jordan are free agents but who knows if they'll want to sign here.Having Hibbert at center would give us one less thing to worry about next summer.

It depends on if you think the recent regression was an anomaly with Hibbert. That slump is the only reason he's even available. It might be worth considering if you think he'll go back to being his pre-slump self.

But if the recent regression is NOT anomalous, then the franchise just killed a major part of its cap and damaged its future by trading for him.

Certainly a risk. And I'm not sure if its a risk worth taking when serviceable defensive centers (even if they aren't as good overall as Hibbert was at his height) will be available on the market for possibly cheaper, like Asik's impending free agency.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject:

AirShooter wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
24 wrote:

It depends on if you think the recent regression was an anomaly with Hibbert. That slump is the only reason he's even available. It might be worth considering if you think he'll go back to being his pre-slump self.

But if the recent regression is NOT anomalous, then the franchise just killed a major part of its cap and damaged its future by trading for him.

Certainly a risk. And I'm not sure if its a risk worth taking when serviceable defensive centers (even if they aren't as good overall as Hibbert was at his height) will be available on the market for possibly cheaper, like Asik's impending free agency.

I feel that last seasons playoffs was a blip and not the start of a trend for Hibbert.

It is a risk and hurts the salary cap if he can't regain his form but worst case scenario is we have him for two seasons and in 2016 we'd have a ton of money to spend that summer.

We our very small and undersized at C and Hibbert gives us a big, physical presence at C ( 7'2", 290 lbs) that could protect the paint better than the players we currently have.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
AirShooter wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
24 wrote:

I feel that last seasons playoffs was a blip and not the start of a trend for Hibbert.

It is a risk and hurts the salary cap if he can't regain his form but worst case scenario is we have him for two seasons and in 2016 we'd have a ton of money to spend that summer.

We our very small and undersized at C and Hibbert gives us a big, physical presence at C ( 7'2", 290 lbs) that could protect the paint better than the players we currently have.

I think the season before was the blip and last year was what Roy Hibbert is; a slow-footed big born in the wrong era who bristles over touches and yet isn't nearly great enough on offense to feel so entitled.

It seems strange to say because he was definitely a force on their run the year before, but he was the main reason they weren't good this year. I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject:

Robin Lopez 2015
Demar Derozan 2016
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject:

In the future. Say, 2416. Humanoid-alien hybrids should be commonly available by then. Crap, but then if they are commonly available then other teams will surely have them as well. Then again who the hell wants short and slow-ass alien genes screwing up our hops. Damn these ideas always turn out sucking. Time to sit myself down and have a good ol' fashion Danny Tanner talk again. Hit the music a-holes!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject:

Can't take the chance on Hibbert. Sorry. Just can't do it. His performance in last year's playoffs left even SAS speechless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
24 wrote:

Hibbert is the kind of guy I could see them going after, ala Kwame Brown. He is only under contract for two seasons, so it is a manageable risk. My only question is how the Lakers come up with the $15 mil to send to Indy.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
24 wrote:

Hibbert is the kind of guy I could see them going after, ala Kwame Brown. He is only under contract for two seasons, so it is a manageable risk. My only question is how the Lakers come up with the $15 mil to send to Indy.

Does Nash have a trade kicker? Add Sacre and another piece like X?
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
24 wrote:

I think Nash and Hill for Hibbert works salary cap wise. We'd probably have to throw in the Houston's 1st or Kelly to sweeten the deal but I'd do it.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Durant
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
24 wrote:

I think Nash and Hill for Hibbert works salary cap wise. We'd probably have to throw in the Houston's 1st or Kelly to sweeten the deal but I'd do it.

Can't trade hill until 1/15/15.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: