All-Phil Team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:
Also, I think Harper would be the PG. Fish was great, but Phil definitely prefers bigger guards

I do too. Phil's inclinations never seemed to be based on the collective reality, they emanated from his own zen mysticism like the smoke from smouldering sage and the rhythmic euphony from an Apache war drum. He tried to have Kobe traded as soon as he got here and felt it important to treat him differently from Shaq. Not saying he wouldn't have ultimately gone with Kobe on a talent basis at the moment of truth, but also saying at one point Phil didn't know quite what to do with Kobe. I think Phil would've had a full-career zen bone for Ron Harper if he had him from 89 on, before a piece of his soul died by playing for the Clippers. Ron was the perfect facilitator of that system, Kobe and Jordan were the primary scorer types. Our 99/00 team would've looked like a tatanka patty for the first couple months if we didn't have Ron to help us hit the ground running.

I wonder what that 1999-2000 team would have looked like if Glen Rice was traded for Pippen.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject:

No Luke Walton?

!...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
No Luke Walton?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Can't run Rodman as a starter with modern NBA rules.

Horace Grant should start.

Kukoc would be even better, next to Shaq.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure that I'd even want Rodman on my team. He would get stupid technicals and suspensions and would give Shaq serious competition for being the worst free throw shooter on the team. Rodman also won nothing when he played with David Robinson and Shaq in their prime. He got a lot more attention because he played on loaded teams and did stupid things to get attention. I wonder what people would think of him if he played on bad teams instead of the HOF players that he played with.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject:

Phil Ford
Phil Chenier
Phil Smith
Phil Jackson
Phil Harris
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Phil Ford
Phil Chenier
Phil Smith
Phil Jackson
Phil Harris

6th man Phil Pressey
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
No Luke Walton?

I would put em in the bench.. he always seems to make the right play.

something of an inside thing.. everytime luke used to shoot the ball at staples.. the crowd would be like "luuuuuuuuuke".

It always made me think of that simpsons episode where everyone is booing Mr. Burns:

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Phil Ford
Phil Chenier
Phil Smith
Phil Jackson
Phil Harris

Bobby Phills.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:
Also, I think Harper would be the PG. Fish was great, but Phil definitely prefers bigger guards

I do too. Phil's inclinations never seemed to be based on the collective reality, they emanated from his own zen mysticism like the smoke from smouldering sage and the rhythmic euphony from an Apache war drum. He tried to have Kobe traded as soon as he got here and felt it important to treat him differently from Shaq. Not saying he wouldn't have ultimately gone with Kobe on a talent basis at the moment of truth, but also saying at one point Phil didn't know quite what to do with Kobe. I think Phil would've had a full-career zen bone for Ron Harper if he had him from 89 on, before a piece of his soul died by playing for the Clippers. Ron was the perfect facilitator of that system, Kobe and Jordan were the primary scorer types. Our 99/00 team would've looked like a tatanka patty for the first couple months if we didn't have Ron to help us hit the ground running.

I wonder what that 1999-2000 team would have looked like if Glen Rice was traded for Pippen.

Great, but because Rice didn't acclimate to the role of distant 3rd option like we assumed he would. He had a decent year in 2000, and we did need anyone who could keep the defense from collapsing on Shaq like flies to sh, but Scott Pippen's bag of tricks was deep enough to carry a team to the CF or Finals as a 3 guard. Blazers were a deep team ("too deep" LAT called them), but their 2nd most consistent star was Sheed, who was an emotionally haywire jackass. We would've shredded the league with Scott on our team under Phil and without the pressure of carrying the entire weight of a city. Wouldn't have mattered that he was older with Kobe and Shaq being the scorers. It didn't even matter that Ancient Green was starting games. Scott's mind, wingspan, post game, 3 pt shot, facilitation, experience, etc, were things any team could use in spades, but imagine all those extras on the team with absolutely no worries about scoring or clutch play. Him with Ron would've meant that we coulda had a top tri facilitator on the floor at all times.

We won 67 gms as it was and had a 19 gm streak and won 30 of 31 from Feb to March. With Pippen, 72 wouldn't have been a far-fetched claim. Without him in Portland, the West would've been a house of cards against us.

What do you think, amico? Agree, disagree? Break it DOOOWN!
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't matter as long as you got Will Perdue, Big Shot Bob, and Steve Kerr.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject:

krisobe wrote:
O'Neal, Rodman, Pippen, Jordan, Kobe

As an honorary team, it's a great one, maybe the ultimate one.

As a potential actual team, it's pretty flawed in terms of presenting the best possible competition, compared to other possible ones.

All of Phil's MJ championship teams had big men who could - and would - float away from the hoop for their own baseline or midrange jumpers. That threat doesn't exist on this team, and it gets worse with Rodman's presence. Room must exist inside for MJ, Pippen, and Kobe to drive the ball and it wouldn't often enough. Essentially, Shaq and MJ don't fit as well together as would either guy with other possible combos. Shaq needed a three point shooting trio, if not a foursome. Michael needed blockers/pickers/midrange shooting big men. I think Rodman's lack of offense is an additional handicap.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
krisobe wrote:

As a potential actual team, it's pretty flawed in terms of presenting the best possible competition, compared to other possible ones.

All of Phil's MJ championship teams had big men who could - and would - float away from the hoop for their own baseline or midrange jumpers. That threat doesn't exist on this team, and it gets worse with Rodman's presence. Room must exist inside for MJ, Pippen, and Kobe to drive the ball and it wouldn't often enough. Essentially, Shaq and MJ don't fit as well together as would either guy with other possible combos. Shaq needed a three point shooting trio, if not a foursome. Michael needed blockers/pickers/midrange shooting big men. I think Rodman's lack of offense is an additional handicap.

No one would ever score on this team and it has three guys who demand a double or triple team every time they touch the ball. Game over.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Phil Ford
Phil Chenier
Phil Smith
Phil Jackson
Phil Harris

the 1983 Phil adelphia 76ers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
70sdude wrote:
krisobe wrote:

No one would ever score on this team and it has three guys who demand a double or triple team every time they touch the ball. Game over.

Agreed. Not to mention this team is absolute death on the break. The play style would be slightly modified but they could definitely make it work.

If one is concerned about spacing just insert Gasol or Odom at the 4.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
krisobe wrote:

Pippen/Jordan/Kobe...yeah, that's not even fair. Heck, we could have Bill Wennington and Will Purdue as our bigs and this team would still win 70 games.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject:

For those that would start Gasol over Rodman
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
For those that would start Gasol over Rodman

Like clockwork.

!...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

Great, but because Rice didn't acclimate to the role of distant 3rd option like we assumed he would. He had a decent year in 2000, and we did need anyone who could keep the defense from collapsing on Shaq like flies to sh, but Scott Pippen's bag of tricks was deep enough to carry a team to the CF or Finals as a 3 guard. Blazers were a deep team ("too deep" LAT called them), but their 2nd most consistent star was Sheed, who was an emotionally haywire jackass. We would've shredded the league with Scott on our team under Phil and without the pressure of carrying the entire weight of a city. Wouldn't have mattered that he was older with Kobe and Shaq being the scorers. It didn't even matter that Ancient Green was starting games. Scott's mind, wingspan, post game, 3 pt shot, facilitation, experience, etc, were things any team could use in spades, but imagine all those extras on the team with absolutely no worries about scoring or clutch play. Him with Ron would've meant that we coulda had a top tri facilitator on the floor at all times.

We won 67 gms as it was and had a 19 gm streak and won 30 of 31 from Feb to March. With Pippen, 72 wouldn't have been a far-fetched claim. Without him in Portland, the West would've been a house of cards against us.

That team would have (bleep) on the league. As much as Harper gave us in his role as the tri-faciliator, Piippen even at that point was 12.5 points, 6.3 rebounds, 5 assist, 1.4 steals a game. His production was light years ahead of Harper and to be honest, Ron's "length" to defend opposing guards was overrated to the point of embarrassment at that point. On that side of the court, it wasn't even a contest. Pip, young Horry and a rabid Kobe would have been a sea of arms to navigate before you saw the Diesel in the paint. Domination.

Now back to the direct comparison of Rice/Pippen. Rice never got his shot really going with us that year. In Charlotte/Miami, he ran through multiple picks and was getting the ball repeatedly to get into rhythm. Ain't happening on THOSE Lakers teams. His lowest % from 3 since his rookie year occurred that year not coincidentally.

Of course, ad that trade went down, we never would have gotten to see this:

Kobe-ster made the old warrior look like Sasha out there on an island at the top of the key.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

That team would have (bleep) on the league. As much as Harper gave us in his role as the tri-faciliator, Piippen even at that point was 12.5 points, 6.3 rebounds, 5 assist, 1.4 steals a game. His production was light years ahead of Harper and to be honest, Ron's "length" to defend opposing guards was overrated to the point of embarrassment at that point. On that side of the court, it wasn't even a contest. Pip, young Horry and a rabid Kobe would have been a sea of arms to navigate before you saw the Diesel in the paint. Domination.

Now back to the direct comparison of Rice/Pippen. Rice never got his shot really going with us that year. In Charlotte/Miami, he ran through multiple picks and was getting the ball repeatedly to get into rhythm. Ain't happening on THOSE Lakers teams. His lowest % from 3 since his rookie year occurred that year not coincidentally.

Of course, ad that trade went down, we never would have gotten to see this:

Kobe-ster made the old warrior look like Sasha out there on an island at the top of the key.

My biggest concern with Pippen would be injuries. That could have slowed the team down a bit. He probably would have been okay but as the last two seasons have shown us, you can't assume players will be healthy.

But remember that Kobe missed several games early in the season and the team did very well when it was still learning the triangle. Pippen would have been #2 next to Shaq for a few weeks. As well as the team did with Rice when Kobe was out, on paper they would look so much better with Pippen. The team was just starting to learn the offense and Pippen would give them a guy with a ton of experience playing it.

I remember Pippen being a major factor in an early season loss to Portland. That's one game that could have been a win with Pippen on the Lakers.

I really don't have much to add that hasn't been said already. I looked it up and it looks like this trade was less likely to happen than I thought. The other player I remember hearing a lot about was Charles Oakley in free agency. He picked the Toronto Raptors over the Lakers. Lol at that choice. The Raptors offered more money though.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Phil Ford
Phil Chenier
Phil Smith
Phil Jackson
Phil Harris

Missed this one when I posted. Captain Phil Harris, RIP.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject:

A MJ, Kobe, Pippen backcourt would be unimaginably good. Throw in Shaq and Rodman and that might be the best team ever conceived.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Kobe>Lebron wrote:
A MJ, Kobe, Pippen backcourt would be unimaginably good. Throw in Shaq and Rodman and that might be the best team ever conceived.

Yep
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject:

Kobe>Lebron wrote:

Yep

I really cant see anyone beating that team, not even the 86 Lakers or Celtics. Throw in Gasol off the bench for some scoring and you got an 82-0 team. In fact I am having a tough time trying to construct a team that would beat the all Phil team.

1. Kareem
2. Duncan
3. Lebron
4. Magic
5. Zeke

?????? Maybe
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject:

Kobe>Lebron wrote:
Kobe>Lebron wrote:

Yep

I really cant see anyone beating that team, not even the 86 Lakers or Celtics. Throw in Gasol off the bench for some scoring and you got an 82-0 team. In fact I am having a tough time trying to construct a team that would beat the all Phil team.

1. Kareem
2. Duncan
3. Lebron
4. Magic
5. Zeke

?????? Maybe

I don't know if you could construct an "All Coach X" team that would beat the all-Phil team. Closest I could come would be an all-Riley team.

Magic
DWade
Worthy
Mourning
Kareem

with G Payton, Tim Hardaway, Shaq, and Ewing off the bench. I suppose since Don Nelson coached forever, his team could probably be alright, and a Popovich team would compete against anyone inside with DRob/Duncan, but their guards wouldn't stack up.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: