Not sure about everyone else.. but I'm very excited about next year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject:

The start of a new season is like the NBA Draft. All fans are always excited because they can dream of a draft steal or an unexpectedly strong season.

I know I'm not much of a dreamer, and I consider myself more of a realist. I've never been a "we play for rings" guy. It just isn't true, we don't always play for rings. So I don't think or dream of a championship this year, but that doesn't mean I'm not excited about it. There's a lot to look forward to. Namely...

Kobe's return. Just seeing the guy on the court will be exciting.

Julius Randle. Just want to see a good rookie year from him.

Jordan Clarkson. Can he live up to the hype?

And finally, can this team establish a foundation on which to build on and improve moving forward? Last year was, from the beginning as I stated it would be, a wasted year from the get go. We weren't contending and we weren't building toward the future. Now we at least have the latter. So let's go do it.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject:

Honestly, I don't have any good expectations for this team. I think the mindset of the players will be positive. But we just don't have the talent needed to win in the West.

So for me, this season is about enjoying the last days of Kobe. I don't see another player on this roster to be excited about except for Randle. And that's just because we share the same name. Before anyone flips out on me, I want to make it clear that I think Randle can be good. But undersized big men are not what I am used to accepting as the cornerstone of the Lakers future.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
I'm excited to see this team prove everyone wrong.

Kobe will still be effective. He may play a few less minutes a game, but he'll still average over 20 pts and teams will still have to plan their defenses around him.

Lin will show that Linsanity wasn't a fluke. He's actually a better player now than he was then. He won't put up the same numbers because he's not an unknown anymore. But when he gets voted in as an All-Star, there won't be a huge backlash saying that he didn't deserve it. He'll be in the conversation.

Steve Nash will show that he's still amazing. Just amazing in fewer minutes.

Randle and Clarkson will develop faster than people expect. They may not be stars, but they will be very good rookies.

Nick Young will be a suitable backup for Kobe when Kobe's not in the game.

Boozer will show that when he has good P&R PGs, he's still a really good player.

Prove everyone wrong? What's your prediction? Because if this team loses in the first round if they even make it to the playoffs (99.9% likely) then that isn't proving anyone wrong.

Yeah a bunch of people don't think we'll make the playoffs. But if we do, and get bounced, then it really doesn't matter. Yeah, we sure showed the critics.. a first round exit.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Honestly, I don't have any good expectations for this team. I think the mindset of the players will be positive. But we just don't have the talent needed to win in the West.

So for me, this season is about enjoying the last days of Kobe. I don't see another player on this roster to be excited about except for Randle. And that's just because we share the same name. Before anyone flips out on me, I want to make it clear that I think Randle can be good. But undersized big men are not what I am used to accepting as the cornerstone of the Lakers future.

Agree. We might get a 5th or 6 seed at the very best. then what? a first round exit? yipee.

I'm waiting for us to get a big time FA next summer or in 2016. Then I'll be excited.. even if we aren't contenders yet.

Until then, I'll watch us play, but there's zero excitement for a team that best case will get bounced in the first round.
mastersworddude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject:

Why did I know it was a Kobee 2.0 thread.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject:

The only thing I'm down about is the draft pick. It's too bad the Lakers are probably good enough not to get it... but not good enough to get into the playoffs.

However the overall team will be insanely fun to watch.

Lin
Kobe
Nick Young
Randle
Ed Davis

I'm not projecting a starting lineup there... but those 5... will be highly entertaining for me to watch. Heck... I love Hill's game too... so include him in on that list. Because he's such a high energy guy, and didn't get consistent minutes in MDA's lineups.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Alpha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject:

i'm always excited to see the team in action!
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject:

So, you've already given up on this season?

Kiss my Converse.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject:

Kobe will bounce back as the new Kobe but still be the Black Mamba!

Swaggy P & the bench will deliver.

J-Chilll will have a breakout season however if we are quickly out of playoff contention he may get traded.

A rejuvenated J-Lin to play well also; maybe not Linsanity but much better than he played in Houston.

Boozer will give us a lift offensively and Ed davis will be a very valuable defensive addition.

Rookies (Randle & Clarkson) will surprise every one & have good seasons too.

Keep your fingers crossed for Steve Nash to contribute something.

All-in-all is going to be a struggle but I'm excited & ready to go!!!
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject:

There are a few things I'am excited about. Lin and Randle's debut as lakers and the return of the legend.

As far as team expectation go they are very low and this season could very well ressemble the previous one.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject:

I'm excited to see Boozer return back to his Utah Jazz all-star form...... as long as we use Boozer in a P&R all game long... he should have an all-star like season...
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject:

A lot of things will have to go right for us, but I feel like there is an opportunity for us to overachieve and surprise many people.

If Kobe stays healthy and produces at 80-90% of where he was in 12-13, then we have enough talent to average over 100 ppg. Obviously it will all depend on health, chemistry, and the development of our young guys, especially Randle, but I feel like there is a glimmer of hope that we are starting to trend in the right direction. Team defense and rebounding will be the keys, and if we take care of that, we have enough athleticism and skill to get out in transition and win some games.

I've felt all along since Phil retired that Kobe won't win another ring, but there's that small part of me that wonders if lightning might strike again, since Kobe's whole career has been about overcoming adversity and proving people wrong.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject:

Can not wait to see how this season develops. I am actually pretty optimistic about what the Lakers can be this season.

Hoping that the past couple seasons of uncertainty and FO chaos are over and the organization learned from it. Hoping for much improved team chemistry and better buy-in to coaching expectations. Most of all hoping for some decent luck with injuries.

I like the mix of ex All-stars, established vets and young players currently on the roster.

Going to be fun to watch the young guys develop. Randle, Clarkson, Kelly, Davis or Sacre. Which ones will stick and be the foundation of the Lakers future as starters or critical bench players .

Then there are the players with solid experience and potential to grow added to the mix. Hill, Young, Johnson, Lin, Henry, (Gee?)

Then add the old professionals. Kobe, Nash and Boozer. Health will be the key. If they can remain relatively healthy they add the experience and on court leadership that is hard to find. If they can contribute consistently is the unknown.

Scott brings in a different mindset and personality. He may not be everyone's favorite but at least he unites the fan base more then MDA ever did. The past couple of seasons was so splintered in opinions about style, players, trades, etc. it was sickening for long time Laker fans. Scott can add a sense of stability and leadership to the mess.

Liking the fresh start and mentality for this year. My expectations are modest. A competitive team. Most likely will miss the playoffs but I can see the blueprint of success with this team. If healthy and good chemistry I can see this team battling for a playoff spot.

Invaluable in attracting the marquee free agents IMO. None want to join a rebuilding team with revolving one year deals on the roster. But with some stability and the energy of a up and coming Laker team it will go a long ways in attracting the elites.

Overall I think there is a lot to be excited about.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
I am very excited about watching randle and Clarkson develop over the next few years. I've been watching a lot of mark Madsen interviews the last few days and he's convinced me that randle will be a monster in the league.

Madsen knows this game and between him and boozer coaching randle he's going to progress fast. I expect Clarkson and randle to be lakers for a very longtime.

Randle is gonna pose match up issues for a lot of teams. How fast he matures in this league is going to be how well he reads the defense. Can he get in there without charging through his man? Can he make the correct pass before the double team comes? Can he be a mature player out of the gate? That's the question.

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
I'm excited to see Boozer return back to his Utah Jazz all-star form...... as long as we use Boozer in a P&R all game long... he should have an all-star like season...

Nash/Boozer = Stockton/Malone 2.0?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Off-Season Report Card: (Grade: D)

Report Card link
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
I am very excited about watching randle and Clarkson develop over the next few years. I've been watching a lot of mark Madsen interviews the last few days and he's convinced me that randle will be a monster in the league.

Madsen knows this game and between him and boozer coaching randle he's going to progress fast. I expect Clarkson and randle to be lakers for a very longtime.

Randle is gonna pose match up issues for a lot of teams. How fast he matures in this league is going to be how well he reads the defense. Can he get in there without charging through his man? Can he make the correct pass before the double team comes? Can he be a mature player out of the gate? That's the question.

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:

Nash/Boozer = Stockton/Malone 2.0?

Did you watch Stockton Malone in their prime? If so you wouldn't make this comparison.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:

Nash/Boozer = Stockton/Malone 0.2?

Did you watch Stockton Malone in their prime? If so you wouldn't make this comparison.

* I fixed it for you
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:

Since when is 6-9 undersized for the SF/PF position?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
I'm excited to see this team prove everyone wrong.

Kobe will still be effective. He may play a few less minutes a game, but he'll still average over 20 pts and teams will still have to plan their defenses around him.

Lin will show that Linsanity wasn't a fluke. He's actually a better player now than he was then. He won't put up the same numbers because he's not an unknown anymore. But when he gets voted in as an All-Star, there won't be a huge backlash saying that he didn't deserve it. He'll be in the conversation.

Steve Nash will show that he's still amazing. Just amazing in fewer minutes.

Randle and Clarkson will develop faster than people expect. They may not be stars, but they will be very good rookies.

Nick Young will be a suitable backup for Kobe when Kobe's not in the game.

Boozer will show that when he has good P&R PGs, he's still a really good player.

Prove everyone wrong? What's your prediction? Because if this team loses in the first round if they even make it to the playoffs (99.9% likely) then that isn't proving anyone wrong.

Yeah a bunch of people don't think we'll make the playoffs. But if we do, and get bounced, then it really doesn't matter. Yeah, we sure showed the critics.. a first round exit.

The tank crowd.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject:

I think this team will make the playoffs as long as everyone is healthy. This team has something that is being severely underrated by everyone in the media and that is heart. Think about the style of play some of these players play with.

Kobe- no explanation needed
Randle- never stops attacking, never stops fighting for position and rebounds
Lin- attacks relentlessly and has major heart
Clarkson- attacks relentlessly, 2nd round pick when he should have gone lottery
Hill- reminds me of Dennis rodman the way he never stops fighting for position and rebounds in the post, now is his time to prove he's more that a one trick pony
Henry-attacks relentlessly
Young- never quits and wants to win. Look at how he took it to lebron on Xmas last season
Boozer- he screams a lot! He's clearly passionate about the game

Byron Scott- tough as nails and demands his team works hard and gives defensive effort.

We also have players that have a lot to prove

Nash- no way he wants to end his career in this pathetic way
Wesley- so much potential and with Scott he may just turn into that 3 n d player on every championship team
Davis- prove he deserves minutes and his defense will go a long way towards proving that.

Never underestimate the heart of a champion. This team will be physical (randle, hill, Kobe, Henry) and that's going to wear teams down over the course of a season. Especially when were so deep.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject:

I just had a random thought about the Lakers....

In my Jeremy Lin thread people are saying that we can't rate Jeremy Lin against the other Laker point guards in the past because he hasn't played for them yet.

But the same people are saying that the Lakers will not be good this year.

How is this thinking any different since the new Lakers team hasn't played a game yet either? So how can you rate the Lakers?
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:

Writing off the Lakers after that embarrassing disaster of an offseason is understandable.

But you can tell that there is some doubt in the statements, and you can tell that most of the people writing the obituary want it to be true.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject:

We just need to stay healthy, and hope Scott doesn't make excuses.

every team in a 82 game season is gonna have a bumpy ride in some courses.... we just need to hope we dig out of it as quickly as possible that's what good teams do.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
We just need to stay healthy, and hope Scott doesn't make excuses.

every team in a 82 game season is gonna have a bumpy ride in some courses.... we just need to hope we dig out of it as quickly as possible that's what good teams do.

Being healthy isn't enough. The team even healthy isn't likely to make the playoffs.

I thought the NBA.com summary had a perfect point that the team this year is "...trying to start something new without really having anything new."

Doesn't mean I'm not excited, I'm excited at the beginning of EVERY season. But I also accept that this season isn't about W/L, it's about figuring out which pieces, if any, are going to be a part of our next championship team. That's it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

Randle, Clarkson, Lin, even Davis are the new and young blood I'm most excited about. You're possibly looking at 2, 3 of these guys possibly being in the Lakers future.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: