Training Camp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject:

So according to Emplay Tyler has been signed to camp. I hope he can make the team. He's still raw, but I do see some potential in the kid.
laker_guerilla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
B_P wrote:
laker_guerilla wrote:
You guys, I know he's way end of the bench at best, camp fodder, longshot etc etc - but am I nuts? Jeremy Tyler can play. Look at this highlight reel from last year's Knicks - more good stuff here than Sacre's entire LAL career. Just saying. Thanks for starting a training camp thread.

From those highlights, it looks like he has some skills+size - and he plays with energy.

I don't know too much about him - anyone know his weaknesses?? What's the scouting report on him?

Does it matter? We don't have any roster spot open, do we?

If you assume Ellington will stick, he makes 14 on the roster - so yes, there's one more spot.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject:

laker_guerilla wrote:
s_habe wrote:
B_P wrote:
laker_guerilla wrote:
You guys, I know he's way end of the bench at best, camp fodder, longshot etc etc - but am I nuts? Jeremy Tyler can play. Look at this highlight reel from last year's Knicks - more good stuff here than Sacre's entire LAL career. Just saying. Thanks for starting a training camp thread.

From those highlights, it looks like he has some skills+size - and he plays with energy.

I don't know too much about him - anyone know his weaknesses?? What's the scouting report on him?

Does it matter? We don't have any roster spot open, do we?

If you assume Ellington will stick, he makes 14 on the roster - so yes, there's one more spot.

As we saw last season, when we literally ran out of players, maybe going 15 deep is a good thing this upcoming season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject:

So info on Jeremy Tyler's stint with the Knicks:

Quote:
Statistically Speaking: Played in 41 games (9.7 mpg). Averaged 13.2 points and 9.9 rebounds per 36 minutes.

Quote:
Year in Review: Timing was an issue for Tyler all season. After catching the coaching staff’s eye by flashing his immense potential for the Knicks’ Summer League entry in Las Vegas, he spent the next few months working his way back from a broken foot. By the time he had recovered, so too had Tyson Chandler from the broken leg he suffered just a few games into the season.

Quote:
Players with such upside will always get chances to play, but producing results like he did from late January through mid February –- during which he averaged 7.6 points (on 56.4 percent shooting) and 4.6 rebounds in 14.5 minutes per game -- could go a long way toward establishing him as a rotation-caliber NBA big man.

Quote:
He made strides on both ends of the floor and has a bright future ahead if he can continue to refine his game as he enters his age-23 season. He shot 50 percent (12-for-24) from 10-16 feet this season and if he can get stronger and refine his footwork, he has a chance to become a devastating weapon in the pick-and-roll.

http://www.nba.com/knicks/season-review-jeremy-tyler

I really am rooting for this kid.

At the 2011 draft combine, 6'10.5" with shoes, 262, 7'5 wingspan.
laker_guerilla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Quote:
Statistically Speaking: Played in 41 games (9.7 mpg). Averaged 13.2 points and 9.9 rebounds per 36 minutes.

Quote:
Year in Review: Timing was an issue for Tyler all season. After catching the coaching staff’s eye by flashing his immense potential for the Knicks’ Summer League entry in Las Vegas, he spent the next few months working his way back from a broken foot. By the time he had recovered, so too had Tyson Chandler from the broken leg he suffered just a few games into the season.

Quote:
Players with such upside will always get chances to play, but producing results like he did from late January through mid February –- during which he averaged 7.6 points (on 56.4 percent shooting) and 4.6 rebounds in 14.5 minutes per game -- could go a long way toward establishing him as a rotation-caliber NBA big man.

Quote:
He made strides on both ends of the floor and has a bright future ahead if he can continue to refine his game as he enters his age-23 season. He shot 50 percent (12-for-24) from 10-16 feet this season and if he can get stronger and refine his footwork, he has a chance to become a devastating weapon in the pick-and-roll.

Thanks for pulling all of that, yinoma. I have to say -- Mitch has done a pretty good job and even better than last year with castoffs and minimums. We got hosed by injuries last year and hopefully that doesn't happen again - but this group is definitely deeper and better than last year. I think if there is any remaining suspense (and assuming item on Ronnie Price joining camp is true) it is whether or not Alonzo Gee might latch on. Regardless I like the makeup of the squad. We may not be worldbeaters but you can get behind this bunch. And SO much better with B-Scott than MDA -- the latter just wasn't Laker material.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject:

laker_guerilla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for pulling all of that, yinoma. I have to say -- Mitch has done a pretty good job and even better than last year with castoffs and minimums. We got hosed by injuries last year and hopefully that doesn't happen again - but this group is definitely deeper and better than last year. I think if there is any remaining suspense (and assuming item on Ronnie Price joining camp is true) it is whether or not Alonzo Gee might latch on. Regardless I like the makeup of the squad. We may not be worldbeaters but you can get behind this bunch. And SO much better with B-Scott than MDA -- the latter just wasn't Laker material.

I live out in the NY region and was a bit impressed with Tyler the minutes he got to play. He's improved defensively and is decently mobile (a theme we are seeing with our bigs). If we had to choose b/w Tyler or say Ellington, my pick is Tyler.
LakerRush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Tyler looks like he can contribute. From watching the highlights, his game reminds me of Jordan Hill, and we all know Byron likes Hill's game. Looks like an improvement over Sacre.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Tyler is here to give randle an idea of what nba length looks like. No chance he makes the roster. I like the kid but I just don't see him making the roster.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject:

I like that kid too, and in 2-3 years he will be waaaay better than sacre. Hes only 23!!! an has potential.
hope he makes the team.
big body with good athleticism and good mobility. good rebounder with midrange game.
booz and kobe can teach him postgame.

my favorite camp-signing
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject:

With the signing of Price is there still a change for Tyler to be part of the Laker team?
laker_guerilla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject:

ryan_c wrote:
With the signing of Price is there still a change for Tyler to be part of the Laker team?

Emplay's latest suggests that, like Ellington, Price's deal is not going to be guaranteed and that all of the camp invitees would be competing for slots 14 and 15 on the roster (should the Lakers elect to fill one or both).

Quote:
Currently the Lakers have 13 players with guaranteed contracts. Price, along with five players recently signed by the team (Wayne Ellington, Jabari Brown, Roscoe Smith, Keith Appling and Jeremy Tyler), will be competing for the Lakers' final two spots.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-ronnie-price-20140924-story.html
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject:

laker_guerilla wrote:
ryan_c wrote:

Emplay's latest suggests that, like Ellington, Price's deal is not going to be guaranteed and that all of the camp invitees would be competing for slots 14 and 15 on the roster (should the Lakers elect to fill one or both).

Quote:
Currently the Lakers have 13 players with guaranteed contracts. Price, along with five players recently signed by the team (Wayne Ellington, Jabari Brown, Roscoe Smith, Keith Appling and Jeremy Tyler), will be competing for the Lakers' final two spots.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-ronnie-price-20140924-story.html

Ok thanks for the info. But just when I seems to prefer him over Sacre, I saw this. Give me Sacre over this guy

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1973808-does-jeremy-tyler-have-a-future-with-new-york-knicks

Quote:
His coach calls him lazy and out of shape. The team captain says he is soft. His teammates say he needs to learn to shut up and show up on time. He has no friends on the team. In extensive interviews with Tyler, his teammates, coaches, his father and advisers, the consensus is that he is so naïve and immature that he has no idea how naïve and immature he is. So enamored with his vast potential, Tyler has not developed the work ethic necessary to tap it.

Jeremy Tyler has been foul-prone, lazy on the defensive glass, and reluctant to offer sufficient help on defense, and it's part of the reason the Bayhawks have struggled so much to start the '13-'14 season.

So far, the numbers at least partially bear out Chillsap’s analysis: Of the Knicks that have logged at least 200 minutes, Tyler’s defensive rating (111.6) registers as the worst on the team.

But Knowing Byron, he wants hard working players. I think Tyler will not make the team. Reading this makes Beasley look like a saint.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject:

Its going to awfully salty at training camp when the heat is turned on by Coach Scott. Guys are going to have to step up or step out of the way.

Quote:
Carlos Boozer is going to have to play to keep his job. Los Angeles Lakers head coach Byron Scott has already stated that rookie Julius Randle could penetrate the starting lineup if he is to outplay Boozer, however that simply could have been nothing more than a motivational tactic on the part of Scott.

Quote:
Zach Buckley: With 13 guaranteed contracts already on the books, Ellington falls short of being considered a lock.
But his resume suggests he could play his way into that role, as his three-point stroke, defensive effort and reliability would all be welcome additions to the Lakers' perimeter.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject:

What kind of salty are you talking?

I usually see that word used for temper throwing until tears are shed. Salty tears.

I'm guessing/hoping that's not the salty you meant?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject:

This isn't like NFL camps where guys literally fight each other (word up to Hard Knocks).
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
What kind of salty are you talking?

I usually see that word used for temper throwing until tears are shed. Salty tears.

I'm guessing/hoping that's not the salty you meant?

USED IN THE CONTEXT THAT COMPETITION WILL BE PRETTY HEALTHY (MENTALLY & PHYSICALLY TRYING).
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Is this the same Jeremy Tyler that played over seas after his junior year of high school?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject:

TRAINING CAMP IS ONLY DAYS AWAY!

It's a known fact that Coach Scott runs a tough, grueling camp.
The first few days will separate the summertime grinders from the summertime party animals.

There are many questions that need to be answered about this team.
Hopefully the best is yet to come.

Here's good read on what to possibly expect:

HELL WEEK
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject:

I know everyone looks good in a highlight video, but I liked what I saw of Jeremy Tyler.

I hope he can put it together and make the team and grow as a player.

He looks better than Sacre at least...
Dondre
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

Jeremy Taylor is high jacking the thread.

Recap:

Southern California native who dropped out of high school as a junior to bomb in Europe. Put up average numbers in the Tokyo league. We'll spoken but pretty much invisible on the court besides a few good plays here and there.

I'm not saying he's complete trash, but I'm doubtful he'll make it past training camp as a Laker. I do think he'd look good in a Defenders uniform though.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject:

Dondre wrote:
Jeremy Taylor is high jacking the thread.

Recap:

Southern California native who dropped out of high school as a junior to bomb in Europe. Put up average numbers in the Tokyo league. We'll spoken but pretty much invisible on the court besides a few good plays here and there.

I'm not saying he's complete trash, but I'm doubtful he'll make it past training camp as a Laker. I do think he'd look good in a Defenders uniform though.

Sorry the high jacking is on Lin and still fun.

Tyler has been a project for years and I hear hopefuls he can contribute, is all...

DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject:

My prediction. Jabari Brown will take Ellington's spot away from him. The kid doesn't have Ellington's pretty jumper, but the kid is an aggressive scorer with a decent jumper.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:

I really hope Tyler gets a chance. I know it's a numbers crunch but he is someone worth stashing on this team.
Finnisher
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Eric Pincus just tweeted this.

Quote:
Eric Pincus @EricPincus
Teams can assign 4 waived players as affiliate players to D-League, the $ given for training camp likely paying path to D-League

Eric Pincus @EricPincus
So an NBA team can have 15 players + 4 affiliate in D-League - who can't be called up w/o an open roster spot

So I guess Brown, Tyler, Smith and Appling will start the season with D-Fenders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
http://youtu.be/8ASnjCqxYJI

I know everyone looks good in a highlight video, but I liked what I saw of Jeremy Tyler.

I hope he can put it together and make the team and grow as a player.

He looks better than Sacre at least...

So he can catch the ball around the rim and dunk. I wasn't impressed at all by him in that video. The only play that was impressive was his block on Lillard.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: