The Western Conference Breakdown: Why the Lakers are Playoff bound in the west.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: The Western Conference Breakdown: Why the Lakers are Playoff bound in the west.

Going to break it down for you why the Lakers chances are good to make the playoffs next season. In order, I list all the western conference teams from top to bottom according to their seeding from last season. In this list, comprises the imaginary cut off line from which teams were not competitive to make the playoff last season. In that cut off line lies the 10 game gap from playoff contention to no playoff contention.

San Antonio
Oklahoma City
L.A. Clippers
Houston - Drop off to 8th seed or worse, and out of playoff contention losing C.P. and poor locker room.
Portland
Golden State - Drop off, to 8th seed or worse lost Mark Jackson.
Memphis - Questionable..Randolph older, injury prone. - drop off to 8th seed or worse
Dallas - Improved roster will make the playoffs...
Phoenix - Bledsoe questionable...Dragic is scouted more - out of playoff contention
---------------------Cut off line...10 game gap from playoff contention----
Minnesota - remain out of contention
Denver - remain out of contention
New Orleans Will move up in seeding
Sacramento - remain out of contention
L.A. Lakers Will move up in seeding
Utah - remain out of contention

People think the Western conference is 12 teems deep but this breakdown actually shows that just isn't true. The teams that I know will make the playoffs for sure are highlighted in bold, which is the Spurs, Thunder, Clippers, Portland, and Dallas. Obviously this prediction is dependent on star players remaining injury free. I feel Dallas are much improved and will have a guaranteed spot, possibly moving up and competing with the Clippers and Thunder for the top 3rd and 4th seed.

Italicized teams are the question marks...

Houston I feel will become a fringe playoff team at best, and possibly will not make the playoffs next season. Dwight and Harden are poor leaders, and have already alienated their teammates before the season even began. Harden isn't going to be getting those calls any more, and his defense is far too weak. Not only that, they lost Chandler Parsons which gave he team a big offensive boost both offensively, and defensively. He not only spaced the floor which is required when having Dwight in the middle, but was an All-Star caliber player. Ariza is not that good and won't be able to carry the offense like Parson did.

Golden State lost Mark Jackson. While Klay has arguably improved, the Warriors lack of leadership will prove too much to overcome as the regular season progresses. The franchise is going to find that Jackson was the glue holding that team together. Golden State will be another team battling for that last playoff seed.

Memphis: ZBo is older and injury prone, and Marc Gasol, like his brother, can't carry the team. While Grizzlies have a superb backcourt, they don't have the stars to sustain a confident move into the playoffs. Memphis will move out of playoff contention next season and will begin the rebuild soon.

Pheonix will be out of playoff contention. Teams will plan for Dragic more, and Bledsoe is either traded or creates a bad locker room vibe.

New Orleands will move up with the emergence of Davis, and will battle for the 7th to 8th seed.

Lakers have a much improved roster. Randle is All-Star ready, Kobe will be Kobe, and Nash may just have his last best season. The dark horse may be Lin, who could have the best season of his career. Combine that with good all around size and talent with Boozer, Davis, and the possible coming out party of Jordan Hill...and this has 5-6th seed over it. I also look to Wesley, Young, and Clarkson to be solid role players this time around. Xavier will be the question mark, but his presence will only be an improvement.

My Theoretic Seeding for next season:

1. Spurs
2. OKC
3. Dallas
4. Clippers
5. Portland
6. Lakers
7. Hornets
8. Houston / Golden State / Memphis
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject:

Now when you look at reality you will see the Lakers will battle for the 8th spot.

The locks are

- Spurs
- Thunder
- Clippers
- Mavs
- Blazers
- Rockets

This leaves 2 spots being battled over by the

- Warriors
- Grizz
- Hornets
- Suns
- Lakers
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Now when you look at reality you will see the Lakers will battle for the 8th spot.

The locks are

- Spurs
- Thunder
- Clippers
- Mavs
- Blazers
- Rockets

- Warriors
- Grizz
- Hornets
- Suns
- Lakers

I think you underestimate the lift that Parson gave the rockets...not only that, the balance that Lin brang to the rockets as well. The Rockets are competing for the 8th seed in reality.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

The locks are

- Spurs
- Thunder
- Clippers
- Mavs
- Blazers
- Rockets

- Warriors
- Grizz
- Hornets
- Suns
- Lakers

Really disagree with the Rockets being locks.

They know that they are a worse team than last year. I don't see anyone on that team with a winning mentality and indomitable will to move them forward. So the loss of good players will weigh on them more than if they did have good leadership.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers have a much improved roster. Randle is All-Star ready, Kobe will be Kobe, and Nash may just have his last best season. The dark horse may be Lin, who could have the best season of his career.

So all the Lakers need EVERYTHING to break 100% in their favor (and I hope it does, it's about damn time we get some luck)?

I am starting to agree with the Rox not being a guaranteed top 6. I have the Warriors being in top 6. So Grizz, PELICANS, Suns and Rox, along with Lakers are in a fight for those two final spots.

I believe we have a better chance of getting the 8th seed this year than we were last year.

I think the Kings may be a sleeper, after watching Boogie put it together this summer in FIBA Ball. Ok, just one game.
JayLida
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject:

OP, I want hit your post over the head with pure pessimism like LG will do as your post ages because I am one of the few that understand the dramatic drop off teams experience season to season. Because of that I will say that the Lakers will be in a fight for either the 7th or 8 seed this up coming season. Health will be paramount this season for all teams especially the Lakers. We will see. Great objective post!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:

I do think the Lakers will be in the 8-10ish range this year as opposed to last year when they looked like a 12-15 range last year. I do think they have improved and having a lot more younger legs and a coach who cares will do wonders. Not sure they can be a playoff guarantee but we will be a better team IMO.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject:

I also believe that the Rockets will struggle more, I really think this season will show how good a coach McHale is. More on the psychical ego handling level than xs and os.
The Warriors and Hornets can do good - if healthy and if they play as a team with a goal. Same is true for the Lakers.
I think the Blazers and Suns fall apart - but I think of all the non-locks Memphis has the best chances to surprise.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Golden State - Drop off, to 8th seed or worse lost Mark Jackson.
Memphis - Questionable..Randolph older, injury prone. - drop off to 8th seed or worse

Warriors IMO have improved a great deal. They added S.Livingston, Barbosa, and Brandon Rush. Great additions IMO. I think they will be a top 8 team even with a new coach.

It's a bit ironic that Memphis' downside includes "injury prone." They are a bit older, but that's still a fantastic grind-it-out team that made the playoffs with MGasol missing a ton of games last year. They added Vince Carter who has actually proven to be a good player these past years (and surprisingly an able defender).
L.A.M.B
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject:

1.Thunder
2.Spurs
3.Clippers
4.Warriors
5.Blazers
6.Lakers
7.Mavericks
8.Rockets
-
9.Memphis
10.Phoenix
11.New Orleans
12.Denver
13.Sacramento
14.Minnesota
15.Utah
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Lakers have a much improved roster. Randle is All-Star ready, Kobe will be Kobe, and Nash may just have his last best season. The dark horse may be Lin, who could have the best season of his career.

So all the Lakers need EVERYTHING to break 100% in their favor (and I hope it does, it's about damn time we get some luck)?

I am starting to agree with the Rox not being a guaranteed top 6. I have the Warriors being in top 6. So Grizz, PELICANS, Suns and Rox, along with Lakers are in a fight for those two final spots.

I believe we have a better chance of getting the 8th seed this year than we were last year.

I think the Kings may be a sleeper, after watching Boogie put it together this summer in FIBA Ball. Ok, just one game.

no just kobe
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

The locks are

- Spurs
- Thunder
- Clippers
- Mavs
- Blazers
- Rockets

- Warriors
- Grizz
- Hornets
- Suns
- Lakers

I think you underestimate the lift that Parson gave the rockets...not only that, the balance that Lin brang to the rockets as well. The Rockets are competing for the 8th seed in reality.

If they remain healthy the Rockets should be a lock for the playoffs.
EZ-Ryder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Rockets will make the playoffs. Losing parsons wasn't good, but it's not like ariza is a slouch. Jeremy Lin was fine off the bench, but Patrick Beverly is a better fit for the team and should start anyway. They aren't a contender, but they are better than us no question. So are the warriors, regardless of losing mark jackson. Saying the warriors won't make it is pure comedy.

I think we have a small chance of making the 8th seed, but I've never had much faith in boozer and Lin and who knows how Kobe will be.

My dream: we win 47 games and get the 8th seed.

What I know will happen: we win 35 game and don't get the 8th seed.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

no just kobe

According to OP, and:

1. Randle playing at All-Star level;
2. best seasons from Nash and Lin.

That's all.
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Western Conference Breakdown: Why the Lakers are Playoff bound in the west.

Jeggs wrote:

Lakers have a much improved roster. Randle is All-Star ready, Kobe will be Kobe, and Nash may just have his last best season. The dark horse may be Lin, who could have the best season of his career. Combine that with good all around size and talent with Boozer, Davis, and the possible coming out party of Jordan Hill...and this has 5-6th seed over it. I also look to Wesley, Young, and Clarkson to be solid role players this time around. Xavier will be the question mark, but his presence will only be an improvement.

What makes you believe Randle is all-star ready? Gave no signs of being all-star ready this upcoming season.
NomisR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

The locks are

- Spurs
- Thunder
- Clippers
- Mavs
- Blazers
- Rockets

- Warriors
- Grizz
- Hornets
- Suns
- Lakers

Don't forget Asiks.

I would say statistically, Ariza replaces Parson, however, the lost of Lin and Asiks means you're still losing 2 of the top 5 players on the team. So they basically lost 3 of their top 5 players or that team and only replaced one that's not as good.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Lakers would need supernatural play from Nash and Kobe Bryant to sniff 8th seed. Roster changes are absolutely necessary.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject:

People are forgetting Dallas.

PG.felton
SG.monta
SF.parsons
PF.dirk
C.chandler

and a very very good coach.
I don't see the rockets beating that team.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject:

.500 or bust.

!...
ADA32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
People are forgetting Dallas.

PG.felton
SG.monta
SF.parsons
PF.dirk
C.chandler

and a very very good coach.
I don't see the rockets beating that team.

That is pretty strong with the exception of Fat Boy Felton.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Contenders: OKC, Spurs

Locks to win 45+(potential to go over 50): Clippers, Rockets, Warriors, Mavs, Grizz, Blazers

That's 8 solid teams right there. I see the Lakers this year more on the level with the Suns and Hornets, but am hoping they gel better than expected and squeak into one of the last 2 playoff spots. Anything above a 7 seed is probably a pipe dream.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject:

This is what I love about the offseason. We can all dream!

Unfortunately, the most likely scenario is maybe an 10th/11th place finish in the West. 9th if healthy.

This team has virtually no room for error (and by error I mean time to build chemistry, injuries, etc) and no true 2nd option.

Is there another team in the league without a clear cut 2nd option?
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Lol thinking that We can be better than GS, HOU, or MEM ? Yeah right, only way is if injuries hit them hardcore.

Also PHX, DEN, and possibly SAC have a better team. Sac added Collison and Sessions who can may gain a solid pg production. Gay and Cousins are coming off a FIBA experience. Landry should be back and they have 2 young guys in McLemore and ho I think will bE a Great fit in Stauskas.

I mean unless Nash can stay heathy and be productive, Kobe allows others to grow and play. Guys like Henry, Lin, Kelly, Hill, and Davs much need to improve. I think what could be underrated play is the play between Nash and Boozer. Nash is great at controlling games and he loves a pick n pop PF. But in the end defense will hurt us
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject:

I'm sorry but it's flatly idiotic to pretend like the Warriors aren't a lock. They were darn good last year and their best players are improving players. Jackson, for how inspirational he was, actually lacked in in-game Xs and Os. Kerr will stumble, obviously, but with such a talented team, they'll cover up a lot of growing pains.

Memphis is also a lock, as is Houston.

I don't think Dallas or Phoenix are locks, but we have a tough road to the playoffs. IF Kobe is mostly Kobe and stays healthy all year, then we're in. I never bet against the GOAT.
tiKi
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject:

1. Spurs
2. Thunder
3. Clipper
4. Warriors
5. Mavs
6. Blazers
7. Grizzlies
8. Rockets
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11
Jump to: