The Western Conference Breakdown: Why the Lakers are Playoff bound in the west.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject:

-Most over rated team are the Rockets. Now that Mike D is gone, Lurch is the worst coach in the league. Lost key pieces and replaced them with CRAP. Their so called leaders are the most over hyped players in the league. They will not make the playoffs! DH is more interested in high school girls than championships.

-Most under rated team is Memphis. Had a ton of injuries last year. Did a great job solidifying their bench and they will have home court advantage in the opening round of the playoffs.

-Surprise team will be the Lakers. I can not believe how many doubt Mitch who is still the Yoda of all GM's. All he did was improve our team BIG TIME without sacrificing the future. He also got us pick which will be huge. Do not sleep on the fact that he loaded our team with trade assets. When Davis, Randle, and Clarkson turn out to be good players, he will take his place on the top of the genius mountain once again. I am not saying this as a homer, just my honest take. The best thing that happened to us was not getting Melo. We will look back at this and breath a sigh of relief.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
-Most over rated team are the Rockets. Now that Mike D is gone, Lurch is the worst coach in the league. Lost key pieces and replaced them with CRAP. Their so called leaders are the most over hyped players in the league. They will not make the playoffs! DH is more interested in high school girls than championships.

We need them to make the playoffs though so we can nab their pick. Best case scenario is that they struggle all year, get the 8th seed, and get swept in round 1
DSF_27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:

-Most under rated team is Memphis. Had a ton of injuries last year. Did a great job solidifying their bench and they will have home court advantage in the opening round of the playoffs.

-Surprise team will be the Lakers. I can not believe how many doubt Mitch who is still the Yoda of all GM's. All he did was improve our team BIG TIME without sacrificing the future. He also got us pick which will be huge. Do not sleep on the fact that he loaded our team with trade assets. When Davis, Randle, and Clarkson turn out to be good players, he will take his place on the top of the genius mountain once again. I am not saying this as a homer, just my honest take. The best thing that happened to us was not getting Melo. We will look back at this and breath a sigh of relief.

I think you need to re-evaluate what constitutes "BIG TIME".

If he had somehow managed a sign-n-trade for Bledsoe, gotten Kenneth Faried from Denver, kept Gasol and somehow managed to keep the Randle pick, then I would say he improved the team "BIG TIME".
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject:

DSF_27 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

If he had somehow managed a sign-n-trade for Bledsoe, gotten Kenneth Faried from Denver, kept Gasol and somehow managed to keep the Randle pick, then I would say he improved the team "BIG TIME".

So again the FO has to fulfill some poster's fantasy to consider him successful? If Mitch had done what you want we wouldn't contend now and not have the salary flexibility to improve in the future
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject:

DSF_27 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Aside from not seeing how faried is a great get along with randle, not sure what exactly would need to happen to get Bledsoe, Faried, and still not give up the Randle pick. Seems extremely pipe.
DSF_27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DSF_27 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

So again the FO has to fulfill some poster's fantasy to consider him successful? If Mitch had done what you want we wouldn't contend now and not have the salary flexibility to improve in the future

Not at all.

My post was simply pointing out that to improve the roster "big time" would require vastly superior moves than what happened. Im not saying it was pssible, just that it didnt happen.

Are the Lakers better on paper than they were last year? Id say at PG spot they are but Gasol is MUCH better than Boozer and peeps are expecting WAY too much from a 19 year old rookie.
DSF_27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
DSF_27 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Aside from not seeing how faried is a great get along with randle, not sure what exactly would need to happen to get Bledsoe, Faried, and still not give up the Randle pick. Seems extremely pipe.

Absolutelyy. But thats the type of moves that would needed to have happened to constitute a "big time" improvement.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject:

DSF_27 wrote:
24 wrote:
DSF_27 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Absolutelyy. But thats the type of moves that would needed to have happened to constitute a "big time" improvement.

Eh, there is room between big time and nearly impossible. I do agree that big time might be a bit of oversell here, but rebutting it with impossibility isnt really a rebuttal so much as opposite side of the same coin.
-Showtime-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject:

Lakers95 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

We need them to make the playoffs though so we can nab their pick. Best case scenario is that they struggle all year, get the 8th seed, and get swept in round 1

The last part isn't too far fetched since the Rockets were easily eliminated by the Blazers in the first round this year and their team is weaker now. Probably 7th spot would be my prediction but injuries could set them even lower.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject:

-Showtime- wrote:
Lakers95 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

The last part isn't too far fetched since the Rockets were easily eliminated by the Blazers in the first round this year and their team is weaker now. Probably 7th spot would be my prediction but injuries could set them even lower.

Easily eliminated? Three of the games were 1 possession games, 3 went to OT and they won on a last second jumper.
-Showtime-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
-Showtime- wrote:
Lakers95 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Easily eliminated? Three of the games were 1 possession games, 3 went to OT and they won on a last second jumper.

Harden lost the ball and made a huge turnover in last part of Game 3, Lin stole the ball back and passed to Daniels. If not that game would have been lost.

Lin also scored 21 points to help the Rockets win game 5. (Harden was 5-15 (33%) shooting in that Game.) Parsons scored 20. Asik pulled down 15 rebounds.

Those 3 aren't on the Rockets roster anymore. In the last playoffs, Harden as the first option shot 50-133 (37.6%) in the last playoffs.

Without Parsons 19.3 PPG in the playoffs and Asik's 8.2 rebounds, the Rockets will struggle even more if they make the playoffs.

Do you think the Rockets are a title contender this year?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject:

FYI, here are ESPN's predictions in the Western Conference for the Lakers in the past 4 seasons and the actual results.

2010 (ESPN: 1, actual finish: 2 in the WC)
2011 (ESPN: 3, actual finish: 3 in the WC)
2012 (ESPN: 2, actual finish: 7 in the WC)
2013 (ESPN: 12, actual finish: 14 in the WC)

So for 3/4 past seasons, ESPN was frankly spot on. I doubt anti-ESPN folks had problems with their predictions in 2010, 2011, and 2012?

2014, ESPN forecasts Lakers at 12.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject:

-Showtime- wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
-Showtime- wrote:
Lakers95 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Harden lost the ball and made a huge turnover in last part of Game 3, Lin stole the ball back and passed to Daniels. If not that game would have been lost.

Lin also scored 21 points to help the Rockets win game 5. (Harden was 5-15 (33%) shooting in that Game.) Parsons scored 20. Asik pulled down 15 rebounds.

Those 3 aren't on the Rockets roster anymore. In the last playoffs, Harden as the first option shot 50-133 (37.6%) in the last playoffs.

Without Parsons 19.3 PPG in the playoffs and Asik's 8.2 rebounds, the Rockets will struggle even more if they make the playoffs.

So I guess you are backing up off your response that the Rockets were easily eliminated in what clearly appeared to be a tight series?

I think the Rockets are in the same position that we were in last season, a team that can get to the 2nd round and will need breaks to advance to the conference finals or further. We clearly didn't get as far as I thought we could last season, since Portland eliminated us in a tight first round series.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
FYI, here are ESPN's predictions in the Western Conference for the Lakers in the past 4 seasons and the actual results.

So for 3/4 past seasons, ESPN was frankly spot on. I doubt anti-ESPN folks had problems with their predictions in 2010, 2011, and 2012?

No non-first ESPN prediction would be complete without some hootin' and hollerin' of course.

I think over the past several seasons we as a fan base have eaten our fair share of crow with respect to predictions around our seeding.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject:

DSF_27 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

I'm befuddled by that logic and inference. It's rather too optimistic to be pronouncing both that our current roster will become so highly valuable as eventual trade assets and that it proves Mitch so praiseworthy for acquiring a slew of unproven and young players. To the extent that this is such a wise course, there must be another 15 or 18 NBA franchises situated in the same spot, blatant mediocrity, hoping to trade for better players. I'll admire Mitch more highly for doing what other don't or can't, and I'll wait until he does it.

Last edited by 70sdude on Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

No non-first ESPN prediction would be complete without some hootin' and hollerin' of course.

I think over the past several seasons we as a fan base have eaten our fair share of crow with respect to predictions around our seeding.

As much as folks here want to harp on ESPN and the Lakers, I didn't realize that their predictions weren't that off-base when I looked it up. But of course, we need to find a bogey man I guess.

I think the Lakers will have a good chance to exceed ESPN's "12th" prediction and finish in the 8-10 range.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

As much as folks here want to harp on ESPN and the Lakers, I didn't realize that their predictions weren't that off-base when I looked it up. But of course, we need to find a bogey man I guess.

I think the Lakers will have a good chance to exceed ESPN's "12th" prediction and finish in the 8-10 range.

The only reason I knew is because I'm one of about 4 people on this board that don't regularly take the "ESPN hates me so much" train to work every day.

I don't believe ESPN has underestimated this franchise once in the past 6 seasons. They've either overestimated our finish in the West, or been exactly right.

Meanwhile, this forum in general has overestimated our finish almost every season in which we didn't finish first in the West.

So that should tell you to take whatever the general consensus is here, and knock it down a few spots but not further than ESPN's prediction.

West is too competitive for Lakers to finish 8th. You have to pace for a 50-win season to get there. If I had to wager my retirement savings on it, I'm going with 10-12 in the West as my prediction.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject:

Well the best case scenario we could hope for is make the playoffs as 7th or 8th seed but baby steps first. This season will come down to health with the veterans in Kobe, Nash, and Boozer. This will be the key this season along with how the rookies develop in Clarkson and Randle they are the Lakers future I feel.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Are you suggesting that ESPN is pro-lakers and pro-kobe Bryant? because that is a long uphill battle you are facing there. But if you are an espn jocker more power to you.
-Showtime-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
-Showtime- wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
-Showtime- wrote:
Lakers95 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

So I guess you are backing up off your response that the Rockets were easily eliminated in what clearly appeared to be a tight series?

No, they were still easily eliminated mainly due to Harden's horrendous shooting and defense. Asik, Lin and Parsons helped kept them in it and they are all gone from the roster.

Dreamshake wrote:
I think the Rockets are in the same position that we were in last season, a team that can get to the 2nd round and will need breaks to advance to the conference finals or further. We clearly didn't get as far as I thought we could last season, since Portland eliminated us in a tight first round series.

They didn't get to the second round last season or even make it to 7 games. Even if you think they are in the same position they will then once again be eliminated in the first round. I see you are neglecting to comment on the loss of Parsons 19.3 PPG in the playoffs and Asik's 8.2 rebounds with key performances from Lin which makes the Rockets an even weaker team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Are you suggesting that ESPN is pro-lakers and pro-kobe Bryant? because that is a long uphill battle you are facing there. But if you are an espn jocker more power to you.

Ah, Mr. Fuel.

No. I just presented facts to defang the "myth" that ESPN somehow hates the Lakers (when the truth is they are a big ratings boost for them...why do you think they televise them so much?).

Folks have been railing on their predictions, when it turns out they were on the mark the last 4 years and in 1 year, they OVERPREDICTED the Lakers (#2 but they finished #7).

And why don't you ask one of our best, Larry Coon, and call him an "ESPN jocker" while you're at it?

As Samuel Jackson stated so eloquently in Pulp Fiction, "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions."

ESPN, at least in its prediction department, have been pretty much straight shooters re: the Lakers and their Western Conference standings.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject:

-Showtime- wrote:
No, they were still easily eliminated mainly due to Harden's horrendous shooting and defense. Asik, Lin and Parsons helped kept them in it and they are all gone from the roster.

How were they easily eliminated when 3 games went to OT, 3 games were 1 possession games and they won on a last second jumper?

-Showtime- wrote:
They didn't get to the second round last season or even make it to 7 games.

Which is why I said the season was disappointing.

-Showtime- wrote:
Even if you think they are in the same position they will then once again be eliminated in the first round.

I don't see how barely losing in the 1st last year equates to for sure losing in the first this year.

-Showtime- wrote:
I see you are neglecting to comment on the loss of Parsons 19.3 PPG in the playoffs and Asik's 8.2 rebounds with key performances from Lin which makes the Rockets an even weaker team.

Parsons was outplayed by Batum in that series and Asik only played so much because the Blazers play two bigs, which allowed us to play Asik next to Howard. He would have had limited minutes off the bench against most of the other teams. Lin gave away 1 game and almost gave away another. I don't regret losing him at all.

I think the team is in the same position as last season. A clear playoff team that needs a break or someone unexpected to step up to make it to the Final Four.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject:

PAINT YO FACE CLOWN!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject:

Captain Impregnate.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject:

The only way I see us making the playoffs this year is if kobe plays 38+ minutes for 75+ games this season. He cleans up a lot of messes by being an elite shot maker. Two teams will probably make playoffs out of the pacific division this season. If kobe balls out MAYBE we can go 3-1 in the season series against kings, Phoenix, and GS.

It's understandable why ESPN, NBA.com, yahoo sports, etc. all rank us outside the top 8 teams out West. The WC first round of the playoffs were EXTREMELY competitive. Dallas gave the championship spurs it's toughest round of the playoffs. Damien lillard misses a game winner and who knows how that rockets series goes. Memphis had OKC beat (then the refs bailed them out with a Zach Randolph suspension).
I know there have been some roster shake ups. But considering the west had 8 out of the best 10-12 teams in the league last season. The top 8 should be favored to make it out the west again.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11
Jump to: