The Western Conference Breakdown: Why the Lakers are Playoff bound in the west.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Showtime-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Which is why I said the season was disappointing.

What makes you think it will be any less disappointing this season with the loss of 3 key players?

Dreamshake wrote:
I don't see how barely losing in the 1st last year equates to for sure losing in the first this year.

Weaker team.

Dreamshake wrote:
Parsons was outplayed by Batum in that series and Asik only played so much because the Blazers play two bigs, which allowed us to play Asik next to Howard. He would have had limited minutes off the bench against most of the other teams. Lin gave away 1 game and almost gave away another. I don't regret losing him at all.

Looks like you are downplaying the contributions of Asik, Lin and Parsons.

So you mention Parson getting outplayed by Batum even though he posted better numbers than Harden? Then you neglect to mention Harden was clearly outplayed the whole series. Harden gave away 4 games, by the same coin you should regret keeping him.

Blaming Lin for 'giving away 1 game while absolving Beverley for a key turnover, Harden who had abysmal shooting, terrible defence and a key turnover himself in game 3 almost losing the game, and turning a blind eye to the last play of the series in which Lin wasn't even involved clearly shows an innate bias.

Dreamshake wrote:
I think the Rockets are in the same position that we were in last season, a team that can get to the 2nd round .

Playoffs are over. The Rockets could not get to the second round. End of story.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject:

-Showtime- wrote:
What makes you think it will be any less disappointing this season with the loss of 3 key players?

I don't consider Lin a key player that can't be replaced. Asik was not a key player for the majority of last season and wouldn't be against most playoff opponents since we can't play him and Howard together. We have a fine replacement for Parsons. In summary, I think y'all are overstating the losses. We lost two bench players and replaced a good starting SF with a good starting SF. The team returns 4 of 5 starters, two being arguably the best in the league at their position, and 3 being young enough to continue to improve.

-Showtime- wrote:
Weaker team.

See above. I don't think the team is weaker.

-Showtime- wrote:
Looks like you are downplaying the contributions of Asik, Lin and Parsons.

No, I'm properly stating their contributions.

-Showtime- wrote:
So you mention Parson getting outplayed by Batum even though he posted better numbers than Harden?

Harden played like garbage in the postseason. I'm not the one touting someone's postseason play though.

-Showtime- wrote:
Then you neglect to mention Harden was clearly outplayed the whole series. Harden gave away 4 games, by the same coin you should regret keeping him.

I've mentioned numerous times that Harden choked in the postseason. Now that his name is mentioned here I have no issue saying it again. I also don't expect him to play that poorly next postseason.

-Showtime- wrote:
Blaming Lin for 'giving away 1 game while absolving Beverley for a key turnover, Harden who had abysmal shooting, terrible defence and a key turnover himself in game 3 almost losing the game, and turning a blind eye to the last play of the series in which Lin wasn't even involved clearly shows an innate bias.

No it doesn't. I've noted Harden played like garbage. Even with all that, that game is ours if Lin doesn't throw it away. He almost threw away another game in that series as well.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject:

There is a reason "Dreamshake" is considered a verb on LG...
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject:

And so what, the Rockets make it to the 2nd round this year? Maybe even the WCF? (best case).

I couldn't care less. Dwight was brought in to win a ring, so everyone who said he can't win one, or he isn't a good leader could shutup, right? He was supposed to improve his post play and leadership skills, and win a ring.

He won't win a ring with Houston. As Shaq used to say, write it down, take a picture, I don't care.
qiantom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject:

The Rockets' way: when we win, it is because of our cornerstones are great. When we lose, it is because some stupid pieces messed up.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
And so what, the Rockets make it to the 2nd round this year? Maybe even the WCF? (best case).

That's my guess, without some type of upgrade. We don't have more talent than the Thunder or Spurs.

Krispy Kreme wrote:
I couldn't care less. Dwight was brought in to win a ring, so everyone who said he can't win one, or he isn't a good leader could shutup, right? He was supposed to improve his post play and leadership skills, and win a ring.

It's his second season in Houston, he's 28 and his main counterpoint is 24. Immediate title success is kinda rare.

Krispy Kreme wrote:
He won't win a ring with Houston. As Shaq used to say, write it down, take a picture, I don't care.

We shall see. If he doesn't I'm sure you guys will constantly mention it. Best believe I will do the same if he does.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

That's my guess, without some type of upgrade. We don't have more talent than the Thunder or Spurs.

Krispy Kreme wrote:

It's his second season in Houston, he's 28 and his main counterpoint is 24. Immediate title success is kinda rare.

Krispy Kreme wrote:

We shall see. If he doesn't I'm sure you guys will constantly mention it. Best believe I will do the same if he does.

Nah, we'll ban you out of meanness...
jjin28
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject:

I honestly believe this team is better than the team when we got swept by dallas. I really hope im proven right. Cant wait for the season 2 start!!!!
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
The only way I see us making the playoffs this year is if kobe plays 38+ minutes for 75+ games this season. He cleans up a lot of messes by being an elite shot maker. Two teams will probably make playoffs out of the pacific division this season. If kobe balls out MAYBE we can go 3-1 in the season series against kings, Phoenix, and GS.

It's understandable why ESPN, NBA.com, yahoo sports, etc. all rank us outside the top 8 teams out West. The WC first round of the playoffs were EXTREMELY competitive. Dallas gave the championship spurs it's toughest round of the playoffs. Damien lillard misses a game winner and who knows how that rockets series goes. Memphis had OKC beat (then the refs bailed them out with a Zach Randolph suspension).
I know there have been some roster shake ups. But considering the west had 8 out of the best 10-12 teams in the league last season. The top 8 should be favored to make it out the west again.

Judging by the last two seasons it is understandable. But I think they bank on the Lakers having injuries again with their prediction and Kobe not being effective.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
kikanga wrote:
The only way I see us making the playoffs this year is if kobe plays 38+ minutes for 75+ games this season. He cleans up a lot of messes by being an elite shot maker. Two teams will probably make playoffs out of the pacific division this season. If kobe balls out MAYBE we can go 3-1 in the season series against kings, Phoenix, and GS.

It's understandable why ESPN, NBA.com, yahoo sports, etc. all rank us outside the top 8 teams out West. The WC first round of the playoffs were EXTREMELY competitive. Dallas gave the championship spurs it's toughest round of the playoffs. Damien lillard misses a game winner and who knows how that rockets series goes. Memphis had OKC beat (then the refs bailed them out with a Zach Randolph suspension).
I know there have been some roster shake ups. But considering the west had 8 out of the best 10-12 teams in the league last season. The top 8 should be favored to make it out the west again.

Judging by the last two seasons it is understandable. But I think they bank on the Lakers having injuries again with their prediction and Kobe not being effective.

Why wouldn't you factor that in? Team like the Spurs can afford to lose Duncan or Parker and still compete against most teams. If we lose Kobe, then not much after him we can rely on to carry the team.

The margin for error is very small because beyond Kobe, our talent is quite thin.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Why wouldn't you factor that in? Team like the Spurs can afford to lose Duncan or Parker and still compete against most teams. If we lose Kobe, then not much after him we can rely on to carry the team.

The margin for error is very small because beyond Kobe, our talent is quite thin.

This can be also applicable to other teams. If Dallas will lose Dirk who will carry them?They will be left with player like Felton who shot 39 fg% last season(Knicks fans hate him). If Houston will lose Howard,Harden is not good enough to carry them,as he will be left with a worse supporting cast compare to what he had in 2012-2013(Houston only won 45 games). I don't think Golden State will be as good if they don't have Curry etc.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject:

ryan_c wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
kikanga wrote:

This can be also applicable to other teams. If Dallas will lose Dirk who will carry them?They will be left with player like Felton who shot 39 fg% last season(Knicks fans hate him). If Houston will lose Howard,Harden is not good enough to carry them,as he will be left with a worse supporting cast compare to what he had in 2012-2013(Houston only won 45 games). I don't think Golden State will be as good if they don't have Curry etc.

You're right, you can apply the same thought process to all teams.

But I would rather be left with James Harden to carry my team while the injured player gets healthy than say, Jeremy Lin. Or Carlos Boozer. Or Nick Young or whoever our #2 is. And Felton? Dallas has Monta Ellis and Chandler Parsons to carry them in Dirk's absence. I'd agree GS won't be as good without Steph Curry but I'd still rather have Klay Thompson than whoever our #2 is. If given the choice to have to play without Kobe and with Klay Thompson or Jeremy Lin who would you pick?

There's also the fact that Kobe has a lot more miles on his legs than Dirk, is coming off an achilles tear and a season in which he basically didn't play due to a knee injury. Dirk is coming off an 80 game season and has played in at least 73 games in 13 seasons out of his 16 year career. (Interestingly, 2 of the 3 seasons in which he did not play in 73 games or more were the two prior to last season, again, indicative of age and mileage).

So you're right at that all teams have margin for error, but the margin is smaller for some teams versus others. Particularly, the Lakers, because we live and die by Kobe Bryant wouldn't you agree?
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject:

If I was to guess, this is how I see the top 8 landing (subject to change due to pre-season developments and/or injuries):

1. Thunder
2. Spurs
3. Clippers
4. Blazers
5. Warriors
6. Mavericks
7. Grizzlies
8. Rockets

I think the Rockets, Pelicans, Grizzlies, Mavericks and Suns will all be in it for the 6-8 spots. I think the 8th spot is the most up for grabs. I could see the Suns grabbing the 8th spot instead of the Rockets, the Pelicans less so. However, there is a whole lot of parity in the West. Not a lot separates these teams. One injury could make all the difference.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
If I was to guess, this is how I see the top 8 landing (subject to change due to pre-season developments and/or injuries):

1. Thunder
2. Spurs
3. Clippers
4. Blazers
5. Warriors
6. Mavericks
7. Grizzlies
8. Rockets

I think the Rockets, Pelicans, Grizzlies, Mavericks and Suns will all be in it for the 6-8 spots. I think the 8th spot is the most up for grabs. I could see the Suns grabbing the 8th spot instead of the Rockets, the Pelicans less so. However, there is a whole lot of parity in the West. Not a lot separates these teams. One injury could make all the difference.

That's crazy how stacked the West is. My guess is teams 9-10 probably are a top 5 seed in the East.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

Krispy Kreme wrote:

Krispy Kreme wrote:

So, you Omar now?
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

1. Thunder
2. Spurs
3. Clippers
4. Blazers
5. Warriors
6. Mavericks
7. Grizzlies
8. Rockets

You've essentially penned my outlook with one qualification, thanks. The "one-injury-factor" especially applies to every team's two most key players, and in the best teams, top three players except the Lakers. I suspect already that the Gold-n-purple expect a Steve Nash injury to have zero impact on this club's direction: no playoffs with or without him.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

Krispy Kreme wrote:

Krispy Kreme wrote:

From a rational standpoint, I agree. He's still feeling his way out in Houston. But I'd be willing to bet if the Rockets don't make the WCF this year at least, there will be trouble brewing in Houston. Especially if Dallas beats them in the playoffs. There's always drama surrounding Dwight, especially when his team loses in the playoffs. I knew he'd get a pass last year, but this year is when the pressure starts mounting a little.

Dwight will have a world of pressure on him in his 3rd season with Houston IMO to win a ring.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

1. Thunder
2. Spurs
3. Clippers
4. Blazers
5. Warriors
6. Mavericks
7. Grizzlies
8. Rockets

You've essentially penned my outlook with one qualification, thanks. The "one-injury-factor" especially applies to every team's two most key players, and in the best teams, top three players except the Lakers. I suspect already that the Gold-n-purple expect a Steve Nash injury to have zero impact on this club's direction: no playoffs with or without him.

Well, that's the beauty of not having much talent. You can lose people to injury and it won't impact you.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ryan_c wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
kikanga wrote:

But I would rather be left with James Harden to carry my team while the injured player gets healthy than say, Jeremy Lin. Or Carlos Boozer. Or Nick Young or whoever our #2 is. And Felton? Dallas has Monta Ellis and Chandler Parsons to carry them in Dirk's absence. I'd agree GS won't be as good without Steph Curry but I'd still rather have Klay Thompson than whoever our #2 is. If given the choice to have to play without Kobe and with Klay Thompson or Jeremy Lin who would you pick?

There's also the fact that Kobe has a lot more miles on his legs than Dirk, is coming off an achilles tear and a season in which he basically didn't play due to a knee injury. Dirk is coming off an 80 game season and has played in at least 73 games in 13 seasons out of his 16 year career. (Interestingly, 2 of the 3 seasons in which he did not play in 73 games or more were the two prior to last season, again, indicative of age and mileage).

So you're right at that all teams have margin for error, but the margin is smaller for some teams versus others. Particularly, the Lakers, because we live and die by Kobe Bryant wouldn't you agree?

This team isn't going anywhere without Kobe...but same goes for the Cavs without lebron, heat without bosh, bulls without derrick rose.

Its like an army trying to win a war without a general.

Look, I would think Nash, Boozer, Randle, Lin and Young can be competitive. Nash can still lead a team its just his body that is questionable. Since he has no nerve root issues I think this season can be stellar for him.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ryan_c wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
kikanga wrote:

This team isn't going anywhere without Kobe...but same goes for the Cavs without lebron, heat without bosh, bulls without derrick rose.

Its like an army trying to win a war without a general.

Look, I would think Nash, Boozer, Randle, Lin and Young can be competitive. Nash can still lead a team its just his body that is questionable. Since he has no nerve root issues I think this season can be stellar for him.

The Lakers without Kobe isn't an army. It's a day care.

Doesn't matter what Kobe does. This team isn't likely to be playoff bound and definitely won't be if Kobe isn't supremely healthy.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject:

so, what are we bound 2 after all?
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Well Westgate Superbook sets Laker wins at 31.5. Get to betting optimistic Laker fans.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject:

^ I'll take then over on that. But not by much.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

1. Thunder
2. Spurs
3. Clippers
4. Blazers
5. Warriors
6. Mavericks
7. Grizzlies
8. Rockets

Injuries are always like that, it depends what your schedule is like, and how long its for, even the Spurs depth, their championship hopes will dissolve with the loss of Parker, Duncan or Gino for the playoffs, but that's just how teams leverage themselves. Phoenix though, they'll be a fair bit worse this year, but you'd need to have watched them to understand how much losing Channing Frye will hurt them since they haven't replaced him (losing your stretch 4/5 from a slasher team who also happens to be your only defensively competent interior player whilst upgrading with a 3rd string pg is always a recipe for success).
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject:

^The Suns have a lot of young players. They could easily get even better based on internal growth.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11
Jump to: