The Western Conference Breakdown: Why the Lakers are Playoff bound in the west.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
You lost Lin...an all star...you lost another all star in parsons....then you lose a very good center in asik. You also lost your first round pick. Rockets were a big fail this off season. You can't deny it and they will be below the Lakers this season. MARK MY WORDS: LAKERS WILL SEED HIGHER THAN THE ROCKETS THIS SEASON. AS SHAQ WOULD SAY: TAKE A PICTURE AND PUT IN WRITING.

Are you referring to the NBA All-Star game? I don't think Lin, Parsons or Asik have ever been on it. Please identify which year either made the NBA All-Star team?

What he meant is that you guys lost key role players and might miss the playoffs because of it.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
You lost Lin...an all star...you lost another all star in parsons....then you lose a very good center in asik. You also lost your first round pick. Rockets were a big fail this off season. You can't deny it and they will be below the Lakers this season. MARK MY WORDS: LAKERS WILL SEED HIGHER THAN THE ROCKETS THIS SEASON. AS SHAQ WOULD SAY: TAKE A PICTURE AND PUT IN WRITING.

Are you referring to the NBA All-Star game? I don't think Lin, Parsons or Asik have ever been on it. Please identify which year either made the NBA All-Star team?

What he meant is that you guys lost key role players and might miss the playoffs because of it.

You want the break down DreamShake?

Kobe > Harden
Nash > Beverly
Dwight > Hill
Wesley Johnson = Trevor Ariza
Lakers Forwards > Rockets forwards

We literally have a better roster than the rockets, and we have much more depth at every position...the exception only being the center position.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject:

LeBronte Jest wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

You're like that girlfriend that picks a fight with a bigger dude and then looks at her boyfriend like "What, don't you love me?"

The perfect analogy my friend. You remind me of Ron Artest.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject:

If the Rockets have landed Chris Bosh then they might have had a chance to make it to the 2nd round, but as of now the Rockets are in the same non contending boat as the Lakers which is all that matters. Howard is very easy to defend *just foul him* No way he should ever be a focal point of any team's offense if that team wants to advance in the playoffs. Making Howard the focal point takes Harden out of his game because he needs as much touches to dribble ball to get into a groove, without him being in a groove he is pretty much useless in crunch time, another first round exit, that's if they even make the playoffs.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

Kobe > Harden
Nash > Beverly
Dwight > Hill

We literally have a better roster than the rockets, and we have much more depth at every position...the exception only being the center position.

Are you sure Hill isn't better than Dwight, you seem to be underselling him a lot there.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

Kobe > Harden
Nash > Beverly
Dwight > Hill

That is a terrible way to break it down. If teams could be compared this way, then our dynasty teams would have lost a lot of head-to-head comparisons because most teams would have had a better PG than Fisher, SF than Fox and PF than Samaki Walker (or whichever PF we want to put in there). It's the fact that Kobe and Shaq were SO much better than their counterparts that gave us the competitive advantage. It's not like all players share the ball equally. 80% of our offense is running through Kobe and Shaq and that makes up for the lack of talent in a guy like Samaki Walker because he's asked to do a lot less. Even if we agreed that Nash was better than Beverly, the fact that Nash won't play more than 20 mins/game isn't factored in either. Even if we agreed Kobe now is better than Harden, it wouldn't account for the fact Kobe will play closer to 30 mins while Harden play closer to 40 mins.

It's always bothersome to me when people compare teams this way.

In either case, there's almost zero chance we'll fair better than the Rockets. Our key players are more likely to get injured and missed time, and the Rockets are playing with a lot of the same players they've had so they've got continuity and familiarity on their side. We don't even know who our #2 guy is yet! (And probably won't for a month or two while a second option steps up to the plate).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject:

Well, some people analyze matchups like a Pokémon game. Well, some folks are still playing same.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Well, some people analyze matchups like a Pokémon game. Well, some folks are still playing same.

I will say, it is a lot easier.

Alphabetically speaking, we're not as good as the Rockets because L < R. Darn.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject:

and dwight is cut from the same cloth as shaq, T.O and chad johnson.

Self centered players who want to be the "man" on their team, but will take a slight backseat if their team is winning. i know because i was a fan of all 3 players.

The moment the cowboys started losing games, T.O was complaining and becoming a cancer in that locker room. Shaq was the same way. So is Dwight.

Dwight was relatively calm after losing in the playoffs last year, but this year will be different. If Harden has another bad playoff series and Houston loses, Dwight won't be as mellow about it. Guaranteed.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

Kobe > Harden
Nash > Beverly
Dwight > Hill

Are you sure Hill isn't better than Dwight, you seem to be underselling him a lot there.

Just because Jordan Hill is making as much money as Dwight, doesn't mean he is as good as Dwight.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
Telleris wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

Kobe > Harden
Nash > Beverly
Dwight > Hill

Just because Jordan Hill is making as much money as Dwight, doesn't mean he is as good as Dwight.

Jordan Hill does not make half of Dwight's salary, where are you getting your figures from?

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
Telleris wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

Kobe > Harden
Nash > Beverly
Dwight > Hill

Jordan Hill does not make half of Dwight's salary, where are you getting your figures from?

is that really the first question that comes to mind?
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Kobe is in uncharted territory. It's all new for him and for everyone. But it's not like he's a 22 year old with an injury either. So we'll have to wait and see and HOPE he can hold up.

Kobe looking good out there in the 1st preseason.

We got a lot of guys that can contribute and it looks like Randle is going to even exceed my expectations. He will definitely be Roy candidate this season.

With kobe\nash at this level best believe in the playoffs...and maybe a dark horse for the championship.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Kobe is in uncharted territory. It's all new for him and for everyone. But it's not like he's a 22 year old with an injury either. So we'll have to wait and see and HOPE he can hold up.

Kobe looking good out there in the 1st preseason.

We got a lot of guys that can contribute and it looks like Randle is going to even exceed my expectations. He will definitely be Roy candidate this season.

With kobe\nash at this level best believe in the playoffs...and maybe a dark horse for the championship.

This years Rookie Allstar game will be fun. Hoping Randle and Clarkson gets voted in. Also, I have a feeling Randle will get a nod at the slam dunking contest.
24LaterMurus
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject:

So freaking close, only missed it by 25 games. Ah well if it weren't for the Kobe and Julius injuries we'd likely be a top 4 seed. Especially considering that Kobe was dropping 25/5/5 at a 47% clip while health. I just hate it when ELITE teams like ours get robbed by injuries.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject:

24LaterMurus wrote:
So freaking close, only missed it by 25 games. Ah well if it weren't for the Kobe and Julius injuries we'd likely be a top 4 seed. Especially considering that Kobe was dropping 25/5/5 at a 47% clip while health. I just hate it when ELITE teams like ours get robbed by injuries.

Why are you bumping up old threads? We all lived the season. Time to move on to the draft, free agency and next season.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
FYI, here are ESPN's predictions in the Western Conference for the Lakers in the past 4 seasons and the actual results.

2010 (ESPN: 1, actual finish: 2 in the WC)
2011 (ESPN: 3, actual finish: 3 in the WC)
2012 (ESPN: 2, actual finish: 7 in the WC)
2013 (ESPN: 12, actual finish: 14 in the WC)

So for 3/4 past seasons, ESPN was frankly spot on. I doubt anti-ESPN folks had problems with their predictions in 2010, 2011, and 2012?

2014, ESPN forecasts Lakers at 12.

Once again, after all of the complaints, ESPN actually turned out to be overly optimistic of the Lakers season
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
FYI, here are ESPN's predictions in the Western Conference for the Lakers in the past 4 seasons and the actual results.

So for 3/4 past seasons, ESPN was frankly spot on. I doubt anti-ESPN folks had problems with their predictions in 2010, 2011, and 2012?

Once again, after all of the complaints, ESPN actually turned out to be overly optimistic of the Lakers season

Bristol's commentary oftentimes has an anti-Lakers undertone.
But they've been spot on predicting our recent shortcomings.
Just call me ***
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

Kobe > Harden
Nash > Beverly
Dwight > Hill

lol.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject:

Just call me *** wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

Kobe > Harden
Nash > Beverly
Dwight > Hill

lol.

There's always that optimism at the beginning of each year ........ Jeggs with the goods........
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Just call me *** wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

Kobe > Harden
Nash > Beverly
Dwight > Hill

lol.

There's always that optimism at the beginning of each year ........ Jeggs with the goods........

lol this thread is the perfect example of jegg's rationale. Only with this sort of logic can someone say Kobe would be traded to the cavs at the trade deadline.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject:

I can appreciate blind homer optimism. That's what being a fan is. But when you try to go at people who present cogent and rationale reasons why the optimism is just optimism then it gets ridiculous.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject:

laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Bristol's commentary oftentimes has an anti-Lakers undertone.
But they've been spot on predicting our recent shortcomings.

ESPN has the resources and time to carefully analyze each team. They will not simply pick the Lakers b/c it is fashionable.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

Can we please lock these old threads that the trolls keep bumping? Who cares.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11
Jump to: