Phil: "Kobe modeled his behavior a lot about Michael Jordan, but he went beyond Michael in his attitude towards training"
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Phil: "Kobe modeled his behavior a lot about Michael Jordan, but he went beyond Michael in his attitude towards training"

Quote:
Serby: Is Kobe Bryant the model for Carmelo Anthony?
Phil Jackson: No. No one can approach that. I don’t expect anybody to be able to model their behavior after that, although Kobe modeled his behavior a lot about Michael Jordan, but he went beyond Michael in his attitude towards training, and I know Mike would probably question me saying that, but he did.

Quote:
We’re paraphrasing from memory here about something Grover said almost a year ago, but he said that while Kobe and Jordan both had a seemingly inexhaustible supply of energy and drive to push themselves, Kobe never knew when to quit and Michael knew when enough was enough.

Link
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Phil: "Kobe modeled his behavior a lot about Michael Jordan, but he went beyond Michael in his attitude towards training"

24KaratGold wrote:
Quote:
Phil Jackson: No. No one can approach that. I don’t expect anybody to be able to model their behavior after that, although Kobe modeled his behavior a lot about Michael Jordan, but he went beyond Michael in his attitude towards training, and I know Mike would probably question me saying that, but he did.

Quote:
We’re paraphrasing from memory here about something Grover said almost a year ago, but he said that while Kobe and Jordan both had a seemingly inexhaustible supply of energy and drive to push themselves, Kobe never knew when to quit and Michael knew when enough was enough.

Link

I think Kobe trains harder than Jordan. Jordan was notorious for being out all night, golfing 2-3 rounds of golf on game days, etc. Kobe is singularly driven by basketball; Jordan had um, more "extracurricular" things.

Probably another reason why Phil also said Kobe wasn't as "chummy" with teammates because they'd be hitting the nightlife and etc. while Kobe was so dedicated to the craft of basketball.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject:

Kobe is clearly a sociopath.
Gotta love this man.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Gotta love this man.

Yeah. I truly don't think we'll see another guy wired like him for a long time. I have no doubts saying Kobe trains the hardest and is the most dedicated player ever. We just need Kobe's body to hold together, which is one part training, but also just physiology.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject:

Kobe already had a reputation for being the hardest working player, nothing new here.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject:

It would be a dream come true if Kobe passes Jordan's 6th championship ring... would be very epic.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
danzag wrote:
Gotta love this man.

Yeah. I truly don't think we'll see another guy wired like him for a long time. I have no doubts saying Kobe trains the hardest and is the most dedicated player ever. We just need Kobe's body to hold together, which is one part training, but also just physiology.

Co-sign
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
Kobe already had a reputation for being the hardest working player, nothing new here.

Phil publicly acknowledging that Kobe trains harder than MJ did certainly is new.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
danzag wrote:
Gotta love this man.

Co-sign

Would love to see a new generation of players modeling their work ethic after Kobe's, but to be at a Kobe level work ethic, need to basically become a basketball monk.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
danzag wrote:
Gotta love this man.

Co-sign

Would love to see a new generation of players modeling their work ethic after Kobe's, but to be at a Kobe level work ethic, need to basically become a basketball monk.

In my minds eye, I see Kobe, alone in a gym, in black and white, after his career is over, working on his footwork and his shot ala Robert De Nero's shadow boxing in "Raging Bull."
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject:

In my minds eye, I see Kobe, alone in a gym, in black and white, after his career is over, working on his footwork and his shot ala Robert De Nero's shadow boxing in "Raging Bull."

I think watching Kobe practice would probably be more entertaining than 70% of all NBA games.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:

I think watching Kobe practice would probably be more entertaining than 70% of all NBA games.

LOL. Come on.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:

I remember Gilbert Arenas saying that Kobe would go to the gym and just practice one move, like a left-handed fadeway after a spin move. And just practice that move all day.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

I remember Gilbert Arenas saying that Kobe would go to the gym and just practice one move, like a left-handed fadeway after a spin move. And just practice that move all day.

If there were a Kobe practice on PPV. I'd watch it. I'm curious what his process is for learning a new move
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kobe_r9
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Phil: "Kobe modeled his behavior a lot about Michael Jordan, but he went beyond Michael in his attitude towards training"

yinoma2001 wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Link

I think Kobe trains harder than Jordan. Jordan was notorious for being out all night, golfing 2-3 rounds of golf on game days, etc. Kobe is singularly driven by basketball; Jordan had um, more "extracurricular" things.

Probably another reason why Phil also said Kobe wasn't as "chummy" with teammates because they'd be hitting the nightlife and etc. while Kobe was so dedicated to the craft of basketball.

easy calls from the refs?

Kobe Bryant on Michael Jordan's trash talk: 'He knows I'm a bad motherf*****'

RIP Dr. Jerry Buss
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:

I don't think there has ever been a post in my history of internet using that I agreed with as much as this.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
danzag wrote:
Gotta love this man.

Yeah. I truly don't think we'll see another guy wired like him for a long time. I have no doubts saying Kobe trains the hardest and is the most dedicated player ever.

I would put Cap in that category as well. Like Kobe he went outside the box to keep his body ready, and that was why he was able to play as long as he did.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
danzag wrote:
Gotta love this man.

Yeah. I truly don't think we'll see another guy wired like him for a long time. I have no doubts saying Kobe trains the hardest and is the most dedicated player ever.

I would put Cap in that category as well. Like Kobe he went outside the box to keep his body ready, and that was why he was able to play as long as he did.

No disrespect to the greatest center of all time but I don't see him as the "sleep 3 hours a day" and "go to the gym at 3am" type that Kobe is. Taking excellent care of your body and just ridiculous work ethic are not entirely the same thing
L.A.M.B
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

LOL. Come on.

come on what?
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject:

It is amazing to me that Kobe works harder than even NBDL players and 12th men on the bench. I have heard Kahwi Leonard has a strong work ethic as well but still doesnt compare to Kobe. Who gets up at 4am most mornings to work out?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject:

Kobe>Lebron wrote:
It is amazing to me that Kobe works harder than even NBDL players and 12th men on the bench. I have heard Kahwi Leonard has a strong work ethic as well but still doesnt compare to Kobe. Who gets up at 4am most mornings to work out?

Will be curious to see how he channels that amazing work ethic to non-basketball ventures when he retires. He should go to med and law school and just be the top of his class just for kicks.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
danzag wrote:
Gotta love this man.

No disrespect to the greatest center of all time but I don't see him as the "sleep 3 hours a day" and "go to the gym at 3am" type that Kobe is. Taking excellent care of your body and just ridiculous work ethic are not entirely the same thing

They are the same thing, it was his work ethic that sharpened his body and kept him in the game. His embracing yoga was something that was never seen in the NBA before, and it worked wonders with his body. He never took time off, he worked all the time.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Kobe>Lebron wrote:

My son does, then takes 7 periods at school and plays volleyball in the evenings.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
danzag wrote:
Gotta love this man.

They are the same thing, it was his work ethic that sharpened his body and kept him in the game. His embracing yoga was something that was never seen in the NBA before, and it worked wonders with his body. He never took time off, he worked all the time.

KAJ's longevity is simply spectacular. It's one thing to have a long career with a 6'4, 190 pound body. It's another with a 7'1, 7'2 body and all those limbs.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Kobe>Lebron wrote:

Will be curious to see how he channels that amazing work ethic to non-basketball ventures when he retires. He should go to med and law school and just be the top of his class just for kicks.

Kobe would be a great lawyer. He already has the "(bleep) with no morals" part down pat.

!...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16
Jump to: