Lakers Sign Ronnie Price
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Price is a good defender and with Nash being injury prone, a 4th PG is needed.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Why do we have 4 pg's plus Kobe who play's like a PG at least half the time he is on the court. Sure the NBA is a guards league, but 4 1/2 PG's on one team is questionable to say the least. Kobe just might play at the 3 a whole lot.
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject:

besides being a douche, the guy has abysmal shooting percentages all around for his entire career
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Let's be honest here...Kobe is playing SF so you have Kobe, Nick & Wes at SF, though Kobe will play some SG. They are filling out backup plans for Kobe & Nash for PG/SG knowing that health is a concern and Kobe is going to play some SF as well. Clarkson is not ready to play PG so you really have Lin, maybe Nash and now Price.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Price should be at the end of the bench. I picture him being a lot like how Duhon was a few years ago except he won't be taking 35 footers.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject:

I don't mind this signing. Dude plays with a chip on his shoulder and can defend. Could be useful at the end of the bench. Certainly looks like the Roster and depth chart is set though with the 15 players:

PG Nash/Lin/Price
SG Bryant/Ellington/Clarkson
SF Johnson/Young/Henry
PF Boozer/Randle/Kelly
C Hill/Davis/Sacre

I actually like what the Lakers and Scott are doing. Its going to be a tough season and a few things need to fall into place for the Lakers to do well, sure. BUT it looks like B Scott is going old school. He has contingencies everywhere in this roster. There are only two rookies and both have really good upside and could contribute this year. Good mix of veteran presence and younger - yet still experienced players.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject:

^^ Could/should probably swap Crawford and Ellington
EmoDias
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
Why do we have 4 pg's plus Kobe who play's like a PG at least half the time he is on the court. Sure the NBA is a guards league, but 4 1/2 PG's on one team is questionable to say the least. Kobe just might play at the 3 a whole lot.

The more point guards the more points. duh!

Don't forget Randle. He will be playing some form of the point too. Magic lite is here yall. Showtime baby!!!
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject:

too many PGs. shouldve signed a C. Bring a Kwame or a Dacos
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Looks like the Lakers didn't take his words to heart. That or they're desperate for anyone to add to the roster.

Dark Times indeed.

They aren't as gullible as fans are.

Lol of course Ronnie Price was going to say that and for the same reason that Deron Williams said it -- they got smacked by the Lakers every year for what was it? 3 years in the playoffs?

I would've said the same thing. Nothing to see here. move along folks. Just an end-of-the-bench guy.. or training camp contract who'll be cut.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject:

calistrtballr wrote:
too many PGs. shouldve signed a C.

Bring a Kwame or a Dacos
I actually think we are ok at C. I believe in J Hill and think he can be a really good player when given consistent minutes. I think he and Davis will form a good combo and perhaps battle each other for minutes - which is ideal. Sacre is pretty good as a third-string C. Big body, can block a shot, can rebound, can even shoot a little.

Then if we have injury worries, I could easily see Boozer being shifted into C for spot up minutes. I think we are ok at C.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
L.A.M.B wrote:
wow....with michael beasley available and our weakest area being small forward, we go ahead and sign ronnie price and wayne ellington. dont get me wrong, theyre not bad acquisitions. but the upside of signing beasley would have been far greater. sucks.

Why are we crying about Beasly! This guy, no matter how talented he is, can not seem to stick on a team. There are obviously things about him that teams seem to not care about how talented he is, he ain't worth the trouble. Let's Not ignore the signs. We don't need that type of player on this roster.

It's not really relevant at this point since he's off the market. Memphis signed him. Plus, I expect so see a slower, older post-injury Kobe playing more at the SF position than previously - especially against smaller lineups. That would account for adding guards as well. I don't buy the chatter about Randle playing SF at all. I expect it to be Wesley, Kobe and Nick Young holding down the 3 against most teams.

Jim and Mitch are likely hoping to find a trade partner for Nash before the deadline that brings back an athletic SF with more length. I think that's why he's being named our starting PG over Lin even though every indication has been that he's washed up until recent "nerve problems have gotten better" reports out of nowhere. Those types of problems don't magically heal up. There's no reason to expect anything different out of Nash this season until he proves otherwise for an extended period of play in real games, not summer warm ups. Which is a real shame. His type of talent would be crucial combined with Lin while Kobe adjusts his game to his body as well as the new coach and roster.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject:

Here is what MWP told about the signing.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2014/09/24/metta-world-peace-blog-ronnie-price-to-the-lakers/

Quote:
You can’t put a price tag on Ronnie Price. He is a solid point guard with the ability to play defense on the post up. I think this veteran will do great with the Los Angeles Lakers.

The scorers, Steve Nash and Jeremy Lin, have already been provided for the team. It’s not too much about scoring for Price, but rather the ability to play the supporting point guard position and to dominate on the defensive side.

Ronnie and I were on the Sacramento Kings way back in 2006-08. He is definitely a good guy, on and off the court.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject:

LakerRush wrote:
Byron has talked about wanting to see if he can have a unit out there that could "muck it up." Price definitely fits that mold and can defend the length of the floor. I see him as a situational guy on this team.

This exactly. I like the signing. A tough minded vet that will bring defensive intensity to practices and any time he suits up.

Not expecting him to play many mpg or to score any points. But he can fill a role creating the defensive mindset Scott is preaching and so many of us fans have been asking for.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject:

The Lakers got Ronnie Price for a few reasons... they probably think he can bother the elite PG's in the West... like Westbrook/Parker/Lillard if so... this would be considered a great signing.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
The Lakers got Ronnie Price for a few reasons... they probably think he can bother the elite PG's in the West... like Westbrook/Parker/Lillard if so... this would be considered a great signing.

He has bothered PGs, but not stopped them the past few years. He's a tough minded defender, but there's a reason why he's bounced team to team each year. He has no offensive game which limits his PT.

If he makes the team, he SHOULD be the 4th string PG (Nash/Lin/Clarkson ahead of him).
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject:

Like you said, he hasn't gotten the PT to show his value on the court.... I wouldn't call Selfolosha a offensive player but he still got PT... I think Price can play in the right situation.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Like you said, he hasn't gotten the PT to show his value on the court.... I wouldn't call Selfolosha a offensive player but he still got PT... I think Price can play in the right situation.

Come on. He's been in the league for a decade.

You gotta stop this man.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:

Thabo was a starter-level player. Price hasn't averaged over 15mpg in his CAREER.

Price is a situational player, and if he's playing lots of minutes, something has gone terribly wrong.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject:

Besides, he actually has to make the team before you worry about minutes.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject:

Expecting more then a few mpg and a couple of shots from Price is pushing it. He is horrible on offense. He is a tough defender but not anywhere close to Sefolosha.

Add to that , Sefolosha's mpg were reduced last year as his offensive liabilities were exposed. Price is not close to Sefolosha on offense. Do not expect many mpg from Price. He is what he is. Expecting him to be anything more is silly.

Price is solid end of the bench role player. Will be ready if called upon. His true value to the the team is in practice. He brings an attitude that is needed by this Laker team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: