ESPN suspends Bill Simmons for 3 weeks
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: ESPN suspends Bill Simmons for 3 weeks

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/09/espn-statement-on-bill-simmons/

Quote:
ESPN Statement on Bill Simmons

ESPN Statement on Bill Simmons
“Every employee must be accountable to ESPN and those engaged in our editorial operations must also operate within ESPN’s journalistic standards. We have worked hard to ensure that our recent NFL coverage has met that criteria. Bill Simmons did not meet those obligations in a recent podcast, and as a result we have suspended him for three weeks.”
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject:

I just wish he had a lifetime ban from reporting
ronnyjeremy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject:

I wish this would have been done during the basketball season.
rak_90046
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject:

what did he say?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject:

He called Goodell a liar and literally dared ESPN to suspend him....

Welp
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject:

This is supposedly what he said during one of his podcasts.

Quote:
The B.S. Report, one of ESPN's most popular podcasts." Simmons during the podcast said, "I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I'm in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell. Because if one person says that to me, I'm going public. You leave me alone. The commissioner's a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast. … Please, call me and say I'm in trouble. I dare you." At the outset, Simmons "ripped into Goodell, saying: 'I just think not enough is being made out of the fact that they knew about the tape and they knew what was on it. Goodell, if he didn't know what was on that tape, he's a liar. ... For all these people to pretend they didn't know is such f-ing (bleep). It really is -- it's such f-ing (bleep). And for him to go in that press conference and pretend otherwise, I was so insulted. … When you're the leader, you're in charge, that's it"

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2014/09/24/Media/ESPN-Ombudsman.aspx
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject:

I think Simmons is trying to write his ticket out of Bristol anyway. Goodell has more friends in high places than even Stern did. BSPN has a clear conflict of interest here from a journalistic standpoint because it broadcasts NFL games and can't have one of its high profile talking heads call the Comissioner a liar.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject:

And nothing of value was lost.

!...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Idiot....don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Oh, well so does that mean he's on his way out from the NBA broadcasts?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
I think Simmons is trying to write his ticket out of Bristol anyway. Goodell has more friends in high places than even Stern did. BSPN has a clear conflict of interest here from a journalistic standpoint because it broadcasts NFL games and can't have one of its high profile talking heads call the Comissioner a liar.

The NFL is the most powerful sports entity in the US. Did Simmons think he could speak out against them and not get punished especially since his employer has an NFL TV contract?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject:

I have some rather mixed feelings about this. While I applaud Simmons for going on offense, he really didn't need to challenge his employer. Forget the policy regarding editorial standards, that is a cover as everyone knows Simmons is pure editorial content, so forget the journalistic integrity crap. The problem is that Simmons started a two front war when only one front (Goodell) was needed to make his key point. I don't know if it was ego, a power trip or personal dissatisfaction with something or someone at ESPN, but I get the feeling there's a story behind this story and Simmons was just using this story as a tool to lash out.

If SI had the cojones, they'd grab him. But they won't, and without a platform Simmons could really end up as yet another Chris Sheridan.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I have some rather mixed feelings about this. While I applaud Simmons for going on offense, he really didn't need to challenge his employer. Forget the policy regarding editorial standards, that is a cover as everyone knows Simmons is pure editorial content, so forget the journalistic integrity crap. The problem is that Simmons started a two front war when only one front (Goodell) was needed to make his key point. I don't know if it was ego, a power trip or personal dissatisfaction with something or someone at ESPN, but I get the feeling there's a story behind this story and Simmons was just using this story as a tool to lash out.

If SI had the cojones, they'd grab him. But they won't, and without a platform Simmons could really end up as yet another Chris Sheridan.

Keith Olbermann has made many of the same points about Goodell on his ESPN show. It seems Simmons' main transgression was taunting the mothership. And it's something he's has done before and been suspended over before.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Hasn't BS lashed out at ESPN before?

!...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Keith Olbermann has made many of the same points about Goodell on his ESPN show. It seems Simmons' main transgression was taunting the mothership. And it's something he's has done before and been suspended over before.

Taunting your employer while they are paying you at the same time must make for some awkward pre-production meetings.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject:

The hashtag #FreeSimmons is trending on Twitter.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Espn has "journalists?"
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

He was flagrantly daring them to discipline him. Kind of funny.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Well now that Simmons has been suspended will he "go public" as he said he would? My guess is that tool will meekly say nothing and accept his vacation. I think Bills ego is growning by the minute, a seeming impossibility. I saw his name on the credits of "Million Dollar Arm" as executive producer. If you look at the Grantland site it is as much about media as it is about sports. I think he fancies himself to be a media mogul now.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Well now that Simmons has been suspended will he "go public" as he said he would? My guess is that tool will meekly say nothing and accept his vacation. I think Bills ego is growning by the minute, a seeming impossibility. I saw his name on the credits of "Million Dollar Arm" as executive producer. If you look at the Grantland site it is as much about media as it is about sports. I think he fancies himself to be a media mogul now.

They'll probably can him like they did with Olbermann if his ego gets too big.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Oh God, will I actually have to give Bill props?

!...
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Part of Simmons' appeal is that he is his own man who spouts realism rather than the popular script. This could be nothing more than Simmons' trying to grab some more street cred.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject:

A broken clock is right twice a day, and Simmons was right about this. Goddell is flat out lying.

He knew how bad it was, and had a complete account even without seeing the video. And yet he goes on his happy go lucky ways and continues to lie about it.

Let me put it this way, he says one thing, and then reports and evidence says no, it ain't so. Now he's just doing the BS plausible deniability thing until, again, it proves that he's wrong. Then he steps back again, to a different nuanced position and waiting for you to prove him wrong again. Sooner or later, you can't prove it unless you are part of the inner circle.

I'll watch less football now. They've been two timing it for years and now it's even more clear. Example: drug abuse by owner gets slap on the wrist. Player gets hosed. Now, it's cover up the for good old boys.

Just like crooked cops. You have take the corruption from its root and it points directly at the top brass at the NFL. First up is for the league to lose its TAX EXEMPT status.

Is NFL that huge that it deserves the same rights as religious organizations? hen again, to the junkies, the NFL is a religion.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject:

I don't like bill simmons at all, but I like what he said
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
I don't like bill simmons at all, but I like what he said

Yep, same here. Goodell is singlehandedly destroying the NFL with a strange mix of hubris, greed and overzealous sissification of the game.

Try watching an NFL game now, you'll spend more time listening to the refs talking than actually watching any football being paid.

And yes, it is exceedingly clear that Goodell saw the tape. He was simply doing the bidding of an owner he is close to...the Ravens owner Bisciotti, who he fixed a Superbowl win for as well.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject:

Simmons' needs that Django Unchained actress's PR agent.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: