Small Forward
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Small Forward

Well, it seems that Beasley is off the option list and maybe there was some strategic thinking as to why from the Lakers FO and BScott.

Here are the current players on the roster that could play the position according to size and experience:
Wesley Johnson
Nick Young
Xavier Henry
Kobe Bryant

Here are a few of the Top Small Forwards in the League with their Physical Stats:
Lebron James: 6'8-245lb
Carmelo Anthony 6'7-237lb
Kevin Durant 6-10-215
Kawhi Leonard 6-7-227

Looking at the Top SF's in comparison to what's on our roster, physically we don't really match up except for Kobe and Xavier and with Kobe's past injuries and X's they just don't pan out. Wesley would be our best option but unless he adds some muscle, it's a long shot.

I was thinking that since we passed on Beasley, maybe the Lakers are considering playing Randle at the "3" because of his ability to be versatile and handle the ball, I could see him playing more on the wing on defense and going inside on offense. His footwork is exceptional for a player his size and he is definitely athletic enough to play the position.
Also with all of the recent signings and non signings of players the Lakers could have had, I would have to say I'm a bit curious.
Boozer is totally redundant, then you look at Davis, Hill and now Jeremy Tyler, who IMO might just make the team, he already seems to have more of a 5 mentality then anyone on our team.

Lin+Kobe+Randle+Boozer+Hill
You're talking about a totally different team now, because Boozer is capable of spreading the floor on the offensive end for Randle to go to work down low until he develops a consistent jump shot and slims down.
IDK, but his handles are exceptional for a player his size and he's a great athlete!
This could be very interesting...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject:

Wes will start.

Young will sop up minutes at the SG/SF (around 28 mpg or so).

I think we may see some Kobe at the SF, but not as much as we'd think.

We don't have answers for the big SFs, and it'll come down to Wes. Maybe Randle in isolated situations but it's really Wes.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject:

Wes has of length with guard quickness. If he could just get his head together he'd be a defensive monster at 3.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Wes will start.

Young will sop up minutes at the SG/SF (around 28 mpg or so).

I think we may see some Kobe at the SF, but not as much as we'd think.

We don't have answers for the big SFs, and it'll come down to Wes. Maybe Randle in isolated situations but it's really Wes.

I could totally see Randle seeing some time at the 3. I think that may be part of the reason why he slimmed down over the summer.

Kiss my Converse.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject:

I could see Randle playing spot/situational minutes at the 3, especially if someone is just ripping all our options at the 3, to shreds.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Wes has of length with guard quickness. If he could just get his head together he'd be a defensive monster at 3.

Hopefully he won't be floating around looking lost and/or apathetic if he's got Kobe in his face, lol.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject:

Coach Scott is going to DEMAND a lot from Wesley-J defensively.

This may be Johnson's chance to truly define himself in the NBA.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Seriously. No reason he couldn't be Tayshaun Prince in his prime.
frenchbullcho
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:

This will be the season !
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject:

The more I see of Randle handling the ball, the more I think he COULD play SF. Just needs to work on that shot...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject:

frenchbullcho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:

This will be the season !

No.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject:

Beasley is not a SF anyway.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Hopefully they can convince him to concentrate on nothing else and he will be our stopper.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject:

Yeah, our club's talent level for the SF slot sucks wind. Just like last year, and hey - it's the same names too.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:

I'll settle for an Ariza in his prime. Just be a reliable STARTER - he's not any team's No. 1 player by any stretch of the imagination, but he might be a No. 4.

Cover your man, be solid enough that they have to cover you, hit the boards, get out on the break, get in other teams' heads.

Whether that works out to 14 and 6 in 35 minutes a game, or 10 and 5 in 25 minutes a game, just do the job and there won't be many complaints.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Wes needs to channel Bruce Bowen. Bowen only had three offensive skill set:

Corner 3
Drive straight to hoop if defender closes too aggressively on corner 3
Cut to the hoop

That and suffocating defense gave him a career. Wes could be a better version of Bowen if he put in the work and the thought.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Corner 3
Cut to the hoop

That and suffocating defense gave him a career. Wes could be a better version of Bowen if he put in the work and the thought.

Yeah, with his athleticism he could do a little more on fast breaks on both sides of the ball. I agree. It's most likely too late for him at this point but he needs to figure out who he is, and then get really good at that and forget everythign else.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:

Corner 3
Cut to the hoop

Yeah, with his athleticism he could do a little more on fast breaks on both sides of the ball. I agree. It's most likely too late for him at this point but he needs to figure out who he is, and then get really good at that and forget everythign else.

He's 27. This is as good as he'll ever be.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Kobe has spent as much time at SF as he has at SG on the offensive end anyways. Wes played some PF last year. Throw in Swaggy P and you are pretty solid at SF. Ryan Kelley will probably see time there some as well in a pinch as will X. Beasley is more tweaner SF/PF that doesn't play defense anyways. Would have been an interesting signing but not a solution to stopping Lebron, Carmelo & Durant...but then again NO ONE really stops them anyways.

Lakers real weakness is at center, not SF. Deep 2,3 & 4 questionable at PG & C.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:

Corner 3
Cut to the hoop

He's 27. This is as good as he'll ever be.

And that's not a bad thing either, all Wes has to do is get better and more consistent at what he already does well.

Threes, cuts to the basket, finishing inside, and defense.

If Wes just improves upon the consistency of what he already does well then he will fit in just fine.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject:

I hope Scott will improve Wesley's defense. Sometimes a change of coach impact how a player plays. Just look at Harden, he plays better defense when he was with OKC.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2014/09/22/bruce-bowen-on-kawhi-kobe-and-dealing-with-pop/

Quote:
See, I don’t cringe, because I remember him in OKC. In fairness to James, yes, (his defense) has been terrible, but what are the principles in Houston? I’m very disappointed in their team concept. That’s what I don’t see. So, if there are no rules and regulations, how do you hold anyone accountable? Speaking to James about this, he’ll say it — “I know I have to do a better job.” But without any direction, without a coach saying, hey, we’re going to send this player baseline because that will be our best bet, it’s really tough. Defense is something you have to practice very day, especially rotations. We went over our rotations every day in all my eight years in San Antonio. You would think me, Tim, Tony and Manu all knew what we were supposed to do. But others don’t. They have to become as familiar as we were. That’s why I go back to principles. Go back to OKC and they’re playing the Lakers, he guarded Kobe pretty well. That’s why I say, what’s going on (in Houston) is about something else.

DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject:

What if Randle turns into Baylor or Worthy? Handles and Post Game?

Big Game Randle?

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."

Last edited by DShotMaker1824 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Forward

lakurluv wrote:
Well, it seems that Beasley is off the option list and maybe there was some strategic thinking as to why from the Lakers FO and BScott.

Here are the current players on the roster that could play the position according to size and experience:
Wesley Johnson
Nick Young
Xavier Henry
Kobe Bryant

Here are a few of the Top Small Forwards in the League with their Physical Stats:
Lebron James: 6'8-245lb
Carmelo Anthony 6'7-237lb
Kevin Durant 6-10-215
Kawhi Leonard 6-7-227

Looking at the Top SF's in comparison to what's on our roster, physically we don't really match up except for Kobe and Xavier and with Kobe's past injuries and X's they just don't pan out. Wesley would be our best option but unless he adds some muscle, it's a long shot.

I was thinking that since we passed on Beasley, maybe the Lakers are considering playing Randle at the "3" because of his ability to be versatile and handle the ball, I could see him playing more on the wing on defense and going inside on offense. His footwork is exceptional for a player his size and he is definitely athletic enough to play the position.
Also with all of the recent signings and non signings of players the Lakers could have had, I would have to say I'm a bit curious.
Boozer is totally redundant, then you look at Davis, Hill and now Jeremy Tyler, who IMO might just make the team, he already seems to have more of a 5 mentality then anyone on our team.

Lin+Kobe+Randle+Boozer+Hill
You're talking about a totally different team now, because Boozer is capable of spreading the floor on the offensive end for Randle to go to work down low until he develops a consistent jump shot and slims down.
IDK, but his handles are exceptional for a player his size and he's a great athlete!
This could be very interesting...

My guess is Boozer will start at PF and Randle will back him up, I predict Randle will be brought along slower than a lot of LGers think/hope.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject:

i think it will be Wes starting and Nick Young finishing games at 3 unless its guarding Durant or Lebron
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Forward

activeverb wrote:

My guess is Boozer will start at PF and Randle will back him up, I predict Randle will be brought along slower than a lot of LGers think/hope.

This!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: