RIP My Childhood. Saturday Morning Cartoons are gone from Network TV ( Edit: added TV Schedule from the 80's)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:

Yup. Brooklyn Brawler the king of the jobbers. 1-2-3 kid the one cheap guy jobber who actually turned into something. That's why Saturday Night Main Event was so amazing because the cheap guys were minimal and it was filled with good matches and even ended with a main event. Intercontinental mofaauugggin titlezz yyyyo

Haha. That's a name I forgot. He was the one with the dirty clothes, right? Like he came out of the gutters of Brooklyn. The Sunday WWF show had a ton of those preview bits, it was a vehicle for their expanding number of specials and for the Sat Main Event shows. Iirc, Sat Nite's Main Event would pre-empt SNL for its timeslot, and that was back when SNL was actually good. The Character Era of WWF was huge, the wrestlers became stars, various celebs wanted to associate with THEM instead of the other way around (chiefly Cyndi Lauper).

Vince knew the Hulkster was a gold mine, the Jordan of that org. They wrote out Bob Backlund to put Terry in his place. I remember watching the match vs Iron Sheik where Hulk won the title. It was after he had built up his name with the Thunderlips bit in Rocky II. Hulk had "the look", Vince knew it. It made other wrestlers resent him because Backlund was well-respected and technically a very sound wrestler beyond the pro-style antics while Terry hadn't yet crafted much of a rep. Terry was a big boy. He looked like a Viking warrior back in 82. It took a little while before he crafted his red/yellow Hulkamania, flamboyant speech persona, like it took Tyson a few years before he started wearing all black and acting like an executioner.

What's weird is that the WWF didn't actually have a lot of purely talented "pro" wrestlers pre-Undertaker era, which is when I tuned out. Bret Hart, Curt Hennig (Mr. Perfect), Randy Savage, Arn Anderson, Rick Rude, maybe the Warrior although he was more showy. I might be missing some, but there weren't many. Bret vs Perfect were always entertaining matches, as were the Brain Busters vs Demolition. Hennig was great at helping his opponent look good with his reaction to hits. He'd flop like Chris Paul when Hulk would hit him with the "no, no, no!" look on his face. Perfect's bits were always amusing, the ones where he would perfectly do anything from any sport, like bowling a strike or sinking a long putt. Imo, he was the greatest of all the heels with a narcissistic persona.

football:

basketball:

Slick, DiBiase and Virgil, and Macho Man w/ Sensational Sherry and Zeus (Tiny Lister) were effin hilarious. Randy and Sherry were highly coked out in some of those to a near-disturbing level. The Bushwackers were funny too. They always stuck up for their American friends against the "Red Commies" Nicolai Volkoff and Boris Zhukov.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:

Yup. Brooklyn Brawler the king of the jobbers. 1-2-3 kid the one cheap guy jobber who actually turned into something. That's why Saturday Night Main Event was so amazing because the cheap guys were minimal and it was filled with good matches and even ended with a main event. Intercontinental mofaauugggin titlezz yyyyo

Haha. That's a name I forgot. He was the one with the dirty clothes, right? Like he came out of the gutters of Brooklyn. The Sunday WWF show had a ton of those preview bits, it was a vehicle for their expanding number of specials and for the Sat Main Event shows. Iirc, Sat Nite's Main Event would pre-empt SNL for its timeslot, and that was back when SNL was actually good. The Character Era of WWF was huge, the wrestlers became stars, various celebs wanted to associate with THEM instead of the other way around (chiefly Cyndi Lauper).

Vince knew the Hulkster was a gold mine, the Jordan of that org. They wrote out Bob Backlund to put Terry in his place. I remember watching the match vs Iron Sheik where Hulk won the title. It was after he had built up his name with the Thunderlips bit in Rocky II. Hulk had "the look", Vince knew it. It made other wrestlers resent him because Backlund was well-respected and technically a very sound wrestler beyond the pro-style antics while Terry hadn't yet crafted much of a rep. Terry was a big boy. He looked like a Viking warrior back in 82. It took a little while before he crafted his red/yellow Hulkamania, flamboyant speech persona, like it took Tyson a few years before he started wearing all black and acting like an executioner.

What's weird is that the WWF didn't actually have a lot of purely talented "pro" wrestlers pre-Undertaker era, which is when I tuned out. Bret Hart, Curt Hennig (Mr. Perfect), Randy Savage, Arn Anderson, Rick Rude, maybe the Warrior although he was more showy. I might be missing some, but there weren't many. Bret vs Perfect were always entertaining matches, as were the Brain Busters vs Demolition. Hennig was great at helping his opponent look good with his reaction to hits. He'd flop like Chris Paul when Hulk would hit him with the "no, no, no!" look on his face. Perfect's bits were always amusing, the ones where he would perfectly do anything from any sport, like bowling a strike or sinking a long putt. Imo, he was the greatest of all the heels with a narcissistic persona.

football:

basketball:

Slick, DiBiase and Virgil, and Macho Man w/ Sensational Sherry and Zeus (Tiny Lister) were effin hilarious. Randy and Sherry were highly coked out in some of those to a near-disturbing level. The Bushwackers were funny too. They always stuck up for their American friends against the "Red Commies" Nicolai Volkoff and Boris Zhukov.

Miss Henning a bunch. I'm still upset with myself that as a youngster I didn't appreciate him and Savage as much as I should have. I'm not a big gum chewer but to this very day every time someone offers me a stick, I swear to god, the only reason I accept is so that I can hopefully Mr. Perfect spit n' smack it to the moon when the flavor wears off in 45 seconds. Worst feeling in the world when you strike out. Best feeling in the world when you get all ball.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject:

I like this thread. One of the best I've seen in awhile. I want to high five so many of you right now.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject:

Sojo wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
I remember Saturday morning cartoons but also after school 'toons. 80's and 90's were a great time to be a kid.

***Somewhat related side story*****
I remember one time after school-- my younger brother and I were watching cartoons (I think it was Animaniacs) and the programming was interrupted to show a high speed pursuit. We watched as the driver led the police on a chase on some fwy and then tried to light some kind of bomb or something INSIDE his vehicle. That didn't work out too well and he ended up stopping in the middle of the freeway. I think he had a dog inside with him that ran off as he parked.

The guy gets out of the truck and lays a blanket down on the road that says something about HMO's. You can see he has some kind of agenda and at that moment I realized it was going to end badly. He is yelling at the cops who have their guns drawn and he pulls out a rifle from his truck. He takes the rifle to the center median and props it up with the barrel facing the sky. Mind you, the camera's are showing this from a helicopter and the clarity is pretty damn good.

He says a couple last things and reaches down to depress the trigger and BAM.... his head explodes. The cameras pulled away and my brother and I were left in shock. That's the day TV cartoons REALLY died. For me at least.
JK. But man, that was awful. We were hesitant to watch after school cartoons after that....

Yup, remember this to this day. He started to freak after his dog burned in the vehicle (you could see it trying to get out). After that, when he pulled the trigger, you could see part of his scalp floating in the wind. I think it was after that that the news from then on decided to always pull the camera wide during the ends of pursuits. Remember my dad turning the tv off as fast as possible because of it.

A lot of you in this thread must be near 30.
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject:

I'm sad all over again...

I fondly remember doing my homework ASAP so I can catch some of the afternoon cartoons on Fox Kids and Kids WB. Their blocks ran from 2-5 PM and I would get off school at 2:30 PM. I would not be allowed to watch TV until I finished my HW so I usually finish it and be done by 3:30 PM or 4 PM.

Then there were minimum days. Remember that? Getting off of school at 12:30 or 1 PM was awesome. I would get to watch cartoons at 2 PM!

And yes, Saturday Mornings. I would get up at 7 AM and watch straight until 12 PM. Those were the days.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Sojo wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
I remember Saturday morning cartoons but also after school 'toons. 80's and 90's were a great time to be a kid.

I remember one time after school-- my younger brother and I were watching cartoons (I think it was Animaniacs) and the programming was interrupted to show a high speed pursuit. We watched as the driver led the police on a chase on some fwy and then tried to light some kind of bomb or something INSIDE his vehicle. That didn't work out too well and he ended up stopping in the middle of the freeway. I think he had a dog inside with him that ran off as he parked.

The guy gets out of the truck and lays a blanket down on the road that says something about HMO's. You can see he has some kind of agenda and at that moment I realized it was going to end badly. He is yelling at the cops who have their guns drawn and he pulls out a rifle from his truck. He takes the rifle to the center median and props it up with the barrel facing the sky. Mind you, the camera's are showing this from a helicopter and the clarity is pretty damn good.

He says a couple last things and reaches down to depress the trigger and BAM.... his head explodes. The cameras pulled away and my brother and I were left in shock. That's the day TV cartoons REALLY died. For me at least.
JK. But man, that was awful. We were hesitant to watch after school cartoons after that....

Yup, remember this to this day. He started to freak after his dog burned in the vehicle (you could see it trying to get out). After that, when he pulled the trigger, you could see part of his scalp floating in the wind. I think it was after that that the news from then on decided to always pull the camera wide during the ends of pursuits. Remember my dad turning the tv off as fast as possible because of it.

A lot of you in this thread must be near 30.

The last of us that actually had our formative childhood throughout the entire 80's (tail end of Gen X) are in our late 30's now. Feel so damn old.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject:

Another classic: Woody Woodpecker.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject:

Stupid OJ Simpson trial making me miss cartoons FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR!

!...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Stupid OJ Simpson trial making me miss cartoons FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR!

Pretty sure his trial disrupted a lot of TV programming in 1995.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject:

We all got "Juiced".

!...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject:

Speaking of which, anybody remember watching the 1 game playoff between the Angels and Mariners that year, that year when the Angels managed to choke a massive lead in the AL West...and then we heard of his up and coming baseball player who played for the Mariners...his name was A-Rod...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:

football:

basketball:

Miss Henning a bunch. I'm still upset with myself that as a youngster I didn't appreciate him and Savage as much as I should have. I'm not a big gum chewer but to this very day every time someone offers me a stick, I swear to god, the only reason I accept is so that I can hopefully Mr. Perfect spit n' smack it to the moon when the flavor wears off in 45 seconds. Worst feeling in the world when you strike out. Best feeling in the world when you get all ball.

Oh, man that brings back memories. Mr. Perfect was very good at promos, I remember he made you like or hate him depending on what the angle the WWF wanted him to take.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
[ Perfect's bits were always amusing, the ones where he would perfectly do anything from any sport, like bowling a strike or sinking a long putt. Imo, he was the greatest of all the heels with a narcissistic persona.

football:

basketball:

DO IT MITCH!

lol, Felton Spencer, holy christ how old is that b-ball bit?

!...
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject:

Did anybody ever grt up at 5:30 or 6 in the morning to see the b/w Little Rascals and whatever other random stuff came on?

I remeber many a Saturday morning where I got uo that early and had some cereal and watched until my older brother woke up and it was either American Bandstand or Soul Train he would put on.

Those two shows meant that the morning was over.

Bye.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Tiny Toons>all

Duck Tales want to have a talk with you.

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
Tiny Toons>all

Duck Tales want to have a talk with you.

gizmoduck ftw!

Also, Darkwing Duck and Talespin.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Another classic: Woody Woodpecker.

LINK

One of my favorites.

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:

Haha. He was one of those blokes with a bunch of random talents like the gum thing. They say he was a natural in those sports bits. He was even doing stuff like bowling strikes and dominating in ping pong. Musta grew up playing sports n games his whole childhood. He could spin a pen thru his fingers and flick it out of his pinky and catch it back between his thumb and index. He did that occasionally while color commentating with Gorilla.

Do you remember The Genius? That was Savage's brother. In the earlier 80s, he was Leapin Lanny Poffo. He was a good guy. His gimmick was throwing frisbees to the crowd. As Genius, he went on Brother Love and told Love a poem complimenting him on his rosy cheeks and loving demeanor. Love was so stunned in gratitude that he pauses for a second and gives Genius the loudest, "EEEEEEYYYYYYE LUUUUUUV YEEEEEWWWW!!!" Genius had a kinda "light" look on his face. He acted a bit swishy. The probably Midwestern crowd were beside themselves in horror. It was almost like that scene in Borat where he turned on the crowd at the dirt track. That era was a guarantee for yuks. It was worth the comedy alone, not even the wrestling. DiBiase having Virgil show a wad of cash to the proprietor of a public swimming pool, Virgil paying to have all the kids kicked out of the pool for DiBiase's personal use. Million Dollar Man laughing that villainous laugh. Another fave of mine was Jim The Anvil Neidhart, his frenetic laugh was 2nd only to DiBiase's. He looked like Tank Abbott to me. Heard he got arrested on some kind of pill related charge in recent years.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
[ Perfect's bits were always amusing, the ones where he would perfectly do anything from any sport, like bowling a strike or sinking a long putt. Imo, he was the greatest of all the heels with a narcissistic persona.

football:

basketball:

DO IT MITCH!

That was probably around Minny's first season or two, probably 89/90. Not surprisingly, Perfect was able to hit a bunch of shots that Felton couldn't. Felton had enough trouble trying to score from 1-3 feet.

Mitch can't do it unfort because Perfect and most of the others I mentioned above are dead. Heart attacks from roids and/or coke are killing em off. Randy Savage had his heart attack while driving his truck down the highway with his wife in the passenger seat. She made it out OK, but Macho was lost to us all. Both Miss Elizabeth and Sensational (aka Scary) Sherry are dead too (ODs). RIP Macho, Perfect, Rick "Rude" Rood, Ultimate Warrior. The Warrior died last April of a heart attack. Bad vessels from years of steroids. They're all goin', Dawg. Big John Studd and Andre The Giant are dead too, more natural causes. Studd was one of Andre and Hogan's main rivals in the early/mid 80s along with King Kong Bundy. Surprised to see Bundy's still alive. Studd was a big ass mofo like Hogan. They gave him a sendoff by letting him win the first Battle Royale they did, having the Hulkster and Perfect going over the ropes at the end so Studd could take care of the rest.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Foghorn Leghorn thats a real cartoon.

That actually sounds like something he'd say. Only thing missing is the, "...I say!"

Heh heh heh you're right. I must have been channeling my inner chicken.

Now, listen up, Foghorn was the best WB character in my book too, I say!

I got: 1) Foghorn, 2) Sylvester, 3) Yosemite Sam
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Foghorn Leghorn thats a real cartoon.

That actually sounds like something he'd say. Only thing missing is the, "...I say!"

Heh heh heh you're right. I must have been channeling my inner chicken.

Now, listen up, Foghorn was the best WB character in my book too, I say!

I got: 1) Foghorn, 2) Sylvester, 3) Yosemite Sam

I say, that boy's about as sharp as a bowling ball.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Sojo wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

"HMO's are in it for the money!! Live free, love safe or die." This is seared into my memory. Of all the crazy stuff I've seen, I will never forget this. I think I was 14 or 15 when this went down.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

football:

basketball:

DO IT MITCH!

That was probably around Minny's first season or two, probably 89/90. Not surprisingly, Perfect was able to hit a bunch of shots that Felton couldn't. Felton had enough trouble trying to score from 1-3 feet.

Mitch can't do it unfort because Perfect and most of the others I mentioned above are dead. Heart attacks from roids and/or coke are killing em off. Randy Savage had his heart attack while driving his truck down the highway with his wife in the passenger seat. She made it out OK, but Macho was lost to us all. Both Miss Elizabeth and Sensational (aka Scary) Sherry are dead too (ODs). RIP Macho, Perfect, Rick "Rude" Rood, Ultimate Warrior. The Warrior died last April of a heart attack. Bad vessels from years of steroids. They're all goin', Dawg. Big John Studd and Andre The Giant are dead too, more natural causes. Studd was one of Andre and Hogan's main rivals in the early/mid 80s along with King Kong Bundy. Surprised to see Bundy's still alive. Studd was a big ass mofo like Hogan. They gave him a sendoff by letting him win the first Battle Royale they did, having the Hulkster and Perfect going over the ropes at the end so Studd could take care of the rest.

Yeah, it's damn shame to watch old promos or matches and realize half of these people are dead.

!...
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

football:

basketball:

DO IT MITCH!

Yeah, it's damn shame to watch old promos or matches and realize half of these people are dead.

Lex Luger is still alive, right?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject:

I remember when they had the contest to see who could pick up Yokozuma and they brought in Lex Luger on a helicopter. The ish was so epic to a 5 year old kid watching it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: