Media Day Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject:

jlinfan wrote:
Kobe is growing on me.

Yes, I'm a newly minted Lakers fan and I have not followed the NBA for very long. Therefore, didn't really know very much about Kobe - except the negative stuff that I read from other forums.

But every time I see him in an interview (like the video above) or read about him, he really impresses the hell out of me. Nothing to do with basketball really - just the little things:

- goes to doctor's appt with his kids
- low key personality
- his view on growing old (can't fight nature)
- his willingness to mentor the younger guys
- his work ethic and preparation
- does his talking on the field
- his quiet confidence, and no bullsh*t demeanor
- even his body language during the interview above; looked like the questions posed were same old same old for him, but as a professional he still found a way to answer them in a personable way

It's going to be easy supporting this team and I hope Lin learns a lot from Kobe.

No worries about being late on warming up to Kobe.

There are Laker fans that have been fans for decades that are less thawed than yourself.

Welcome to the Land of Rings.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jlinfan wrote:
Kobe is growing on me.

Yes, I'm a newly minted Lakers fan and I have not followed the NBA for very long. Therefore, didn't really know very much about Kobe - except the negative stuff that I read from other forums.

But every time I see him in an interview (like the video above) or read about him, he really impresses the hell out of me. Nothing to do with basketball really - just the little things:

- low key personality
- even his body language during the interview above; looked like the questions posed were same old same old for him, but as a professional he still found a way to answer them in a personable way

It's going to be easy supporting this team and I hope Lin learns a lot from Kobe.

There are Laker fans that have been fans for decades that are less thawed than yourself.

To be fair, this is a different version of Kobe. People change, particularly as we get older. I think Kobe's fire/determination remain unchanged, but his public comments are much more nuanced and less brash.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject:

jlinfan wrote:
Kobe is growing on me.

- low key personality

Kobe is a likeable guy if you are not rooting against him. Most of the negative things people say in other forums are made up and its understandable because of the amount of success Kobe and the Lakers have had in the past. Welcome to the club and enjoy the last couple of years Kobe has left, he is truly a great one.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject:

Yeah, living outside of LA now for a decade plus, I've come to realize that both Kobe fans and haters have made legends/myths of Kobe.

You won't believe some of the outrageous things folks here in NY for example say about Kobe. Can't imagine the love for Kobe in Boston!
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Who is the guy with the shaved head you were talking to later in the clip?

Brian Kamanetzky

Quote:
And dude, maybe a few less steaks?

Tell me about it. And this is after being back on the bike for about 100 mi/wk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
24 wrote:

Brian Kamanetzky

Quote:

1. were you eating on the bike?
2. were you biking to go to In n Out?
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject:

Nightwalker wrote:
Nice man! I saw you in background too. So were you able to talk to any of the players?

Of course.

The Lakers & Clippers media days are always a fun contrast. The Clippers have a stage setup, and they pretty much whisk the players to & from the stage, so there's little/no one-on-one time with any of them. The Lakers just let everyone loose -- so you have direct access to the players, but guys like Kobe are swamped.

So I did some chit-chat, but ironically (and for different reasons with the two teams), media days are bad opportunities to talk to players.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jlinfan wrote:
Kobe is growing on me.

- low key personality

To be fair, this is a different version of Kobe. People change, particularly as we get older. I think Kobe's fire/determination remain unchanged, but his public comments are much more nuanced and less brash.

I like Brash Kobe.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
24 wrote:

Brian Kamanetzky

Quote:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Yeah, living outside of LA now for a decade plus, I've come to realize that both Kobe fans and haters have made legends/myths of Kobe.

You won't believe some of the outrageous things folks here in NY for example say about Kobe. Can't imagine the love for Kobe in Boston!

I didn't even apply for Harvard Med in the late 80's because I didn't want anything to do with Boston. Plus, I knew I'd eventually get my ass kicked in a bar or something watching a game.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jlinfan wrote:
Kobe is growing on me.

- low key personality

I like Brash Kobe.

A season for everything. This is a different season for Kobe.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Here in Indiana, people actually respect Kobe. Haven't heard any of the BS about him that was thrown around when I lived in Vegas. Most of them put him on par with MJ as a matter of fact.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jlinfan wrote:
Kobe is growing on me.

- low key personality

I like Brash Kobe.

A season for everything. This is a different season for Kobe.

True.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Here in Indiana, people actually respect Kobe. Haven't heard any of the BS about him that was thrown around when I lived in Vegas. Most of them put him on par with MJ as a matter of fact.

Yeah, folks out here (my non LA trails include Philly, Connecticut, NY, and NJ). All have been pretty brutal to Kobe, which makes me chuckle when folks here call me a "Kobe hater." It just tells me they haven't been outside the insular Lakers bubble.

I can't tell you how many times I've stood up for the guy in these locations.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject:

jlinfan wrote:
Kobe is growing on me.

- low key personality

Someone on this forum met Kobe at a doctor's office.

The forum member's kid was there with a nanny. Kobe approached the kid and asked him questions and the kid blew him off because he was playing with his tablet.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
24 wrote:

Brian Kamanetzky

Quote:

Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jlinfan wrote:
Kobe is growing on me.

- low key personality

Absolutely true.

That being said, a lot of Kobe's rubbing people the wrong way was that he didn't give an S about what they thought of him and henceforth, failed to comply to their standards.

Shaq, on the other hand, was always a coward, unwilling to stand on his own, needing a faction to support him and proved it over and over again.

I think that's what people who "got" Kobe understood.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
24 wrote:

Brian Kamanetzky

Quote:

3x3 mustard fried with extra everything, well-done fries, and a neopolitan shake.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
24 wrote:

Brian Kamanetzky

Quote:

3x3 mustard fried with extra everything, well-done fries, and a neopolitan shake.

I cannot begin to tell you how much I miss in n out.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
24 wrote:

Brian Kamanetzky

Quote:

I cannot begin to tell you how much I miss in n out.

Oh, that's right ... I'm sure you get some great pies out there though.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jlinfan wrote:
Kobe is growing on me.

- low key personality

Absolutely true.

That being said, a lot of Kobe's rubbing people the wrong way was that he didn't give an S about what they thought of him and henceforth, failed to comply to their standards.

Shaq, on the other hand, was always a coward, unwilling to stand on his own, needing a faction to support him and proved it over and over again.

I think that's what people who "got" Kobe understood.

Yep
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject:

The greatest thing I respect about Kobe is that he's never been afraid to fail. That one so very rare trait is essentially what sets him apart from the others.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject:

Great to hear that Wes and Nick spent a lot of time training with Kobe over the summer. It will be interesting to see if there is any noticeable improvement in both their games.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject:

it hard to be optimistic on Jordan Hill... alcohol tends to creep back in any given moment... he's not Rodman either. alcohol makes him worthless. I expect the same sluggish, on/off play from him this year. will be happy if he actually improves on something. glad we got boozer... oh booze!
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Great to hear that Wes and Nick spent a lot of time training with Kobe over the summer. It will be interesting to see if there is any noticeable improvement in both their games.

Man, I'm hoping so ... turned out that Nick had much more game than I previously had given him credit for but if he shores up the whole of his game, the guy can be really good.

Wes could be one of those ideal role players that teams need to stick. He had zero respect for MDA last season and, with Kobe out, the guy almost pee'd his way off the team. He's got another chance to make good now. I sure hope he does ... sticking by Kobe would help.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: