Media Day Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobefanMVP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Finally listened to Kobe's interview with Max/Marcellus and man Kobe is such an eloquent guy. The thing I noticed was the change in temperament (at least outwardly). No more braggadocio but a keener and nuanced take on things. Folks, this is the final evolution of Kobe and it looks good.

Heard things like how he was going to make sure the young guys would understand the system, how he is cognizant of his limited athleticism. But I love the framework on how he will approach this season more methodically.

Truly fascinating to see the 17 year old Kobe morph into the present day Kobe.

Couldn't have said it better than this. Things truly have come full circle with him in how he wants to get to know now all his teammates more because of how young they are and wants to help them develop. Normally in the off-season nobody would get to work out with Kobe because he was always doing his own thing, but this year a number of Lakers players worked with him.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject:

If this Kobe can be healthy, and a few other guys can progress, this is a dangerous group.
jlinfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
The greatest thing I respect about Kobe is that he's never been afraid to fail. That one so very rare trait is essentially what sets him apart from the others.

No matter what field you are in, or how smart you are - there's always one person you respect over all others. The one person who doesn't collapse under pressure, makes all the right decisions regardless of circumstance, someone you may disagree with but completely trust in any situation.

If I was to guess, I don't think it's a matter of being afraid to fail. Rather, it's his mental capacity for creative thinking - he's locked in 24/7 trying to find a way or a path to get the job done. And his unwavering belief that he can accomplish anything he sets out to do only makes the end goal an inevitability. The only thing stopping him from getting there are unsolved obstacles which he will knock down one by one.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:
You have to remember Kobe is from Philly, and probably identified with Biggie more during that period. Also he probably scoffs at the idea of thug life which I wasn't a fan of either. Biggie is the better MC, so Kobe wasn't really out of line by going with Biggie, I would too.

Yup. I went to undergrad in Philly around the time Kobe just left for the Lakers. They loved their Biggie out there. Being from LA, I tried to rep Tupac and other West Coast guys to no avail.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject:

jlinfan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
The greatest thing I respect about Kobe is that he's never been afraid to fail. That one so very rare trait is essentially what sets him apart from the others.

No matter what field you are in, or how smart you are - there's always one person you respect over all others. The one person who doesn't collapse under pressure, makes all the right decisions regardless of circumstance, someone you may disagree with but completely trust in any situation.

If I was to guess, I don't think it's a matter of being afraid to fail. Rather, it's his mental capacity for creative thinking - he's locked in 24/7 trying to find a way or a path to get the job done. And his unwavering belief that he can accomplish anything he sets out to do only makes the end goal an inevitability. The only thing stopping him from getting there are unsolved obstacles which he will knock down one by one.

Well, not everyone succeeds under pressure -- even Kobe. But to me what makes Kobe so great, (and what someone pointed out earlier) is that he's willing to be the reason things failed in order to succeed.

A lot of people would rather play it safe or pass the buck. Kobe? Not so much.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject:

jlinfan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

Well my point here is that what sets Kobe apart is that he isn't worried about looking bad if he fails, and never has. Going all the way back to the airballs he shot in Salt Lake:

Quote:
While veterans such as Byron Scott, Nick Van Exel and Eddie Jones watched, Bryant tried to will the Lakers to the victory. The rookie took the potential game-winning 3-pointer at the end of regulation, but it was an airball. He then shot three more treys in overtime — all of them airballs. In all, Bryant, then 18, took six shots in the final moments of regulation and overtime and missed five of them as his first playoff experience ended on a sour note.

"I had some good looks," Bryant explained afterward. "I just didn't hit the shots."

He wears that last shot like a badge of honor, make or miss. And he has missed more than his share. You couldn't say that about all these other superstars right now. They are more concerned with the adulation and being liked. Kobe concern is a lot deeper....he loves the game, and cares for the craft, and it shows.
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject:

After hearing Clarkson talk, I'll be rooting for him. Guys who work hard should be commended. James gave Julius props for working hard. I've always said Julius works too hard on the court and he gases out. Hopefully he builds up his cardio for at least 30 minutes of helter skelter on both ends of the court.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
We seem to have a lot of "Crossroads" players on this team. The team's anthem should be Bone Thugs N Harmony's "Crossroads."

I have been to the famous crossroads.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
If this Kobe can be healthy, and a few other guys can progress, this is a dangerous group.

I think at the very least it will be a group that is fun to watch and easy to like.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
We seem to have a lot of "Crossroads" players on this team. The team's anthem should be Bone Thugs N Harmony's "Crossroads."

I have been to the famous crossroads.

Hard to imagine you in Bong Thugs' Crossroads video.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject:

The old school one in Mississippi. Blues capital of the world.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The old school one in Mississippi. Blues capital of the world.

I thought you were talking about a near death experience.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject:

There is that, along with an out of body experience. But that is another story............
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Getty images usually has the photos from Media Day's a day or two after.

Hope this link works.

LINK

It's a trip to scroll through and see photos from Media Day from past seasons. You often forget the names of the guys who were only there for training camp. This goes all the way back to 2002.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: