Julius Randle @ SF?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Julius Randle @ SF?

Gives us a real nice big talented line up

Nash/Kobe/Randle/Boozer/Hill

Randle is a face up, off the dribble type of big...

I see him playing a lot like Michael Beasley... so him at SF is a promising idea IMO.

Thoughts? Pros? Cons?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject:

That would make us so weak defensively.
Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
That would make us so weak defensively.

terrible analysis.

Randle gives us size, and length, if anything it improves us defensively.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject:

No, just no. He can't defend perimeter players. And he would be absolutely toxic for spacing on the offensive end. Talk about clogged paints. His man would leave him wide on the perimeter.

Randle is a PF.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
No, just no. He can't defend perimeter players.

What makes you think that? One of the things that's been scouted about him is his super quick lateral quickness and strength.

His defensive weaknesses have to do with his potential rim protection. But his defensive potential in every other aspect, as well as help side defense were all high, it was his basketball IQ and knowledge of defending that needed work but that's the easiest thing to fix. He has all the tools to be a fantastic defender. Parking him in the paint and asking him to rim protect, no, but defending along the perimeter and help side defense.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject:

The spacing would be horrendous, fans will turn on him quick. Bad idea unless you want to see Anthony Bennett all over again but this time, in a Lakers uniform.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject:

The idea reminds me of MDA with his weird off-the-position lineups.
He proved quite well that it does not work.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject:

Don't be surprised if you see a Randle at the 3 and Kelly at the 4 lineup at times with the bench.

Randle showed with how he played with Thompkins this summer that he can play with stretch 4s. Thompkins got his three pointers off because Randle was able to draw the defense to the lane and Randle would drive and dish.

If you've only seen Randle in the one aspect of his game Calipari required of him in Kentucky you're robbing yourself.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Don't be surprised if you see a Randle at the 3 and Kelly at the 4 lineup at times with the bench.

Randle showed with how he played with Thompkins this summer that he can play with stretch 4s. Thompkins got his three pointers off because Randle was able to draw the defense to the lane and Randle would drive and dish.

If you've only seen Randle in the one aspect of his game Calipari required of him in Kentucky you're robbing yourself.

That worked because they were 4/5 and had shooters all around.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Yea this is more likely if he plays the 3 at all. I think people hear Randle at SF and picture them screwing him up instead of finding a way to get the best product on the court. If that means Randle at the 3 for 5 minutes (depending on the matchup, please remember that at all times), so be it.

I agree that he'd be a solid complement to Kelly offensively. I'd only play him on an average or worse offensive threat at the 3 that isn't a burner. Hopefully though, Johnson/Young/Henry give great production at SF and if a big gets a few less minutes so be it.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
MJST wrote:

That worked because they were 4/5 and had shooters all around.

Yes, that's why I said you may see some Randle and Kelly lineups. Even still Boozer is either gonna attack from the post or the wing, he isn't gonna stretch it. However he'd still be open on the dish from mid if Randle drew the defense.

I don't think we'd see 3/4 Boozer Randle very often, we may see 4/5 Boozer Randle given the scenario but Randle could play the 3, in the Princeton if Scott wanted him to.

The Randle "3" lineup would be with the bench

Steve Nash
Nick Young
Julius Randle
Ryan Kelly
Ed Davis

That's a lineup you can play Randle at the 3 with, with any kind of consistency.
Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
dao wrote:
No, just no. He can't defend perimeter players.

What makes you think that? One of the things that's been scouted about him is his super quick lateral quickness and strength.

His defensive weaknesses have to do with his potential rim protection. But his defensive potential in every other aspect, as well as help side defense were all high, it was his basketball IQ and knowledge of defending that needed work but that's the easiest thing to fix. He has all the tools to be a fantastic defender. Parking him in the paint and asking him to rim protect, no, but defending along the perimeter and help side defense.

My thinking exactly. He's very agile for a bigman...

Defense is a team concept... lets not forget that... good defensive teams have good team defense schemes.. all the championship laker teams had it.. besides in this day and age teams play some variation of zone anyways.

on the offense side, spacing is contingent upon offensive schemes.... if his man leaves him open he will be open for the pass and hes gonna drive thru that open lane and smash it. We already know he doesnt settle for the jumper.

All in all... he has similar game to Michael Beasily.... in terms of size length and athleticism.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject:

Spacing would be terrible. I could see limited lineups where Kelly is the pf and Randle is the sf.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject:

Depends on how many games they want to lose. Randle is a pure pf. If they want to utilize him in a way conducive to winning, it will be at pf imo. I see sf as a terrible fit all the way around.
Makaala4
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject:

I'm ALL IN for a Randall at SF and Ryan Kelly at PF...we need some youth in this aging lineup. Randall age 20, Kelly age 23. I was kind of bummed when we drafted Randall cuz I thought Kelly had a very promissing rookie year (8 ppg, 3.7 Reb, 1.6 assists in 22 min per game). But I think both of them in the lineup would work, just as long as they can keep up w/Scott's standards on D. If they could at least play average D, Kelly would draw out the oppenents bigs to the perimeter, and I think Randall would punish the SF's of the League. Randall kind of (I did say kind of....lol) reminds me of Worthy, as he came out as an athletic 6-9 kid, who could play both PF/SF...and as I think back, Worthy was all post up coming out of college, and he developed an outside shot (and played PF/SF) through the years. Hoping Randall does the same.

Article on Kelly from Lake Show Life :

http://lakeshowlife.com/2014/09/26/ryan-kelly-active-offseason-breakout-year/
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Spacing would be terrible. I could see limited lineups where Kelly is the pf and Randle is the sf.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

We'll see some Randle at SF this season, and I would imagine the pairing will be with Kelly at the other forward spot. Randle needs more range on his shot to be a SF. I don't see that happening during his rookie season. I hope it does happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject:

Makaala4 wrote:
I'm ALL IN for a Randall at SF and Ryan Kelly at PF...we need some youth in this aging lineup. Randall age 20, Kelly age 23. I was kind of bummed when we drafted Randall cuz I thought Kelly had a very promissing rookie year (8 ppg, 3.7 Reb, 1.6 assists in 22 min per game). But I think both of them in the lineup would work, just as long as they can keep up w/Scott's standards on D. If they could at least play average D, Kelly would draw out the oppenents bigs to the perimeter, and I think Randall would punish the SF's of the League. Randall kind of (I did say kind of....lol) reminds me of Worthy, as he came out as an athletic 6-9 kid, who could play both PF/SF...and as I think back, Worthy was all post up coming out of college, and he developed an outside shot (and played PF/SF) through the years. Hoping Randall does the same.

You may the first and only person who was bummed we got Randle and how that affected Kelly's playing time.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject:

Makaala4 wrote:

Opposing team's sf's would guard Kelly on the perimeter, and their big would guard Randle.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject:

Wow, so much negativity on Randle and his position and he hasn't even had a training camp yet, more less an NBA game. Let's give him and the coaching staff a chance and see what they come up with first before we judge what position he is.
IMO he's a PF no doubt, BUT and that's a big BUT, he could possibly play the 3 spot depending on the match up!
For instance if the team is playing the Clippers and say for examples sake Matt Barnes is at the three and this is our lineup:
Lin+kobe+Randle+Kelly+ Davis (a bench group basically)
vs.
Farmar+Crawford+Barnes+Udoh+Hawes

Kelly is defensive minded enough to guard Udoh at the 4. However it would be more suitable for Kelly to spread the 4 on offense and shoot jumpers and for Randle to go down low and punish Barnes in the post all day! For the Clippers the switch would happen on Defense, which would pose a match up nightmare in our favor either way, because chances are a Low Post Scoring 3 like Randle would demolish most teams 3 or 4s anyway.

IMO he could play either way, but ultimately he's a 4 with the quickness of a 3. It's possible to tinker with more earlier in the season than later. If there's some success, you have nothing to lose either way...Finding his identity early in the season is a good thing for the rook!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject:

I'm ecstatic about Randle. I don't think it's negativity. I just don't think playing the SF predominantly will help him. My comment was a limited Randle (SF)/Kelly (PF) would be interesting in limited stretches. But Randle at PF with some SF skills would be devastating IMO. Put him solely at SF and you lose some of that advantage.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject:

This is a worse idea than Odom at PG.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject:

I'm all in favor of thinking outside the box and trying Randle at the 3.

Personally, I don't think I've ever seen Randle shoot an outside jumper at least in the summer league or college highlights...Just because he doesn't shoot them doesn't mean he can't make them.

I've only seen like one video of him in high school shooting a bunch of outside shots and making them....I know, everyone looks good in highlight videos!

Based on the video of him shooting outside, his form looks smooth so I wouldn't doubt that he could make them or learn to make them consistently.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:

Personally, I don't think I've ever seen Randle shoot an outside jumper at least in the summer league or college highlights...Just because he doesn't shoot them doesn't mean he can't make them.

I've only seen like one video of him in high school shooting a bunch of outside shots and making them....I know, everyone looks good in highlight videos!

Based on the video of him shooting outside, his form looks smooth so I wouldn't doubt that he could make them or learn to make them consistently.

The question for me, is it useful to take him further away from the hoop? I think he can be a foul drawing machine in the NBA closer to the rim. But put him 15-20 feet out, not so much.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

The question for me, is it useful to take him further away from the hoop? I think he can be a foul drawing machine in the NBA closer to the rim. But put him 15-20 feet out, not so much.

If they are serious about James Worthy working with him, Worthy would be the perfect player for JR to emulate.

Maybe JR could be a unique combination of Worthy, Lamar and Zach Randolph...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

If they are serious about James Worthy working with him, Worthy would be the perfect player for JR to emulate.

Maybe JR could be a unique combination of Worthy, Lamar and Zach Randolph...

Worthy would be awesome. But he also played in a league where pseudo-zones were not allowed and his lack of top-flight range on his shot wasn't as exploited. Granted, Worthy could hit that 15 footer but today's top level SFs have at least a 3 point shot. Randle hasn't shown that yet.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: